• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Is it just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Or are legendaries getting more and more abundant and more and more ZOMG EPIC?

Generation 1 had it simple: Three, uber-rare 'Legendary' birds, one-off in the games though shown to have multiple instance of existing in other forms of canon (primarily the anime), one psychotic genetically-engineered 'superclone', and one cute, DNA-rich lil' unobtainable rodent. The birds each had their own story and they had some influence on the weather (according to the 2nd movie anyway), but that's all there was to it, really. 5 Legends, no big deal.

Gen 2 introduced Ho-Oh, with some form of control over life (as it was said to be the creature who revived the OTHER legendary trio, the Legendary Beasts known as Raikou, Entei and Suicune, who were killed and revived with the whole burned tower thing - we should have seen it coming from here, but since Ho-Oh was given virtually no attention, we didn't) and Lugia, which, while lovely, is still by no means epic. And yes, the time-travelling unobtainable grass-pixie Mewannabe. So that comes up to 6 legends, 11 grand total.

The next thing we knew, we had Generation 3, LEGEND EXTRAVAGANZA. Gen3 hit it off with its three Mascot PokéMon, the weather trio. This was the first time that the legendaries were really plot-related - which made their 'epic battle of doom'-ness at least somewhat plausible. They were Kaiorga, Groudon and Rayquaza. By now, we should have had the WARNING! WARNING! Klaxons ringing, but we ignored them, for the plot made sense and yeah.

That's when things got odd. Latios and Latias, the new answer to the Legendary Beasts, with just their amount of significance - pretty much nil (Not counting the whole Alto Mare gig.) And then we have the three elemental golems, the Regis, (which made us all wonder at first 'Wtf? Are those really PokéMon?', and made some of us reach the conclusion that they were locked behind walls of braille just because the ones who sealed them gouged their own eyes out to deal with the ugliness - although with time we've gotten used to them and even learn to like them in their own freakish way) were also somewhat epic, or at least, their puzzles were annoying to an epic level. It was also the first generation to feature more than one unobtainable - the freakish, Jagan-on-stomach-bearing Star Jester Jirachi, and the bizzare shapeshifting Deoxys, a marvel of pseudo-science (which is possibly one of the niftiest legends to date, at least in my twisted opinion - even though their basic R/S form looks like C-3PO on drugs). Legendary count for this gen, so far, is 10, making a grand total of 21.

... And now this. Let us take a quick run down of ALL legendaries in Gen 4, eh?

First of all, the mascots. Dialga and Palkia. RULERS OF SPACE AND TIME, ZOMG. If they go haywire, it's not just the WORLD that's at stake. It's TEH UNIVERSE ITSELF! ZOMG, THE FABRIC OF SPACE TIME!!!1!1!(one)!!1!! Does it get any more epic than this? Watch this space!

The legendary trio this time are the three legendary Emos, aka Psychic Midget Patrol - basically Mewannabes with funny hats. They're the phantom spirits of the lakes of Sinnoh and their energies are required to summon the aformentioned RULERS OF SPACE AND TIME ZOMG! Mildly epic as a result of that, too.

And now starts the endless flow of random legendaries. This includes Giratina (a crossbreed of Shedinja and a Saturn Worm from Beetlejuice with random wings that supposedly lives in the spirit world and requires much annoyance to obtain), Crescelia (a female-only psychic... thingy), Headran (Doctor Wily's Pet Molten Lava Toad), Regigigas (The King of all Regis, made quite possibly of Marshmallow, Sprinkles, Broccoli and a touch of gold), Manaphy (A Clione-based Mewannabe who isn't ZOMG PSYCHIC) and Fione (A bizzare made-in-taiwan Bootleg version of the former), all of which classify very nicely as The Legendary WTFs (On account of them having no significance whatsoever to the plot, except to be annoying to obtain and potential sequel material, though none of them are ZOMG EPIC enough to compete with the main legends).

As if THAT wasn't enough, we get a hail of THREE unobtainables. The first is the lord of Dreams and Nightmares, Darkrai, a creature that you definitely DON'T want around you while you're sleeping. Epic? It definitely has epic potential.

The second a cute timid little Chia-Pet hedgehog that almost seems out of place between the unobtainables to be mentioned.

Then we have Aruseus, maybe the most ZOMG EPIC of all - a huge over-leveled, ridiculously fanmade-like PokéMon that looks like a cross of a Stantler and an Absol that was strangled by a celtic knot, collects fine china and lives in another dimension trying to convince people that it is teh ZOMG GOD OF ALL POKéMON, and that Palkia and Dialga are aspects of it, or some such Brahma-Vishnu-Shiva triangle or other.

Let me point out at this point that when a 10-year-old-brat armed with an uber-trained cute fuzzy puppy kitten can pwn a god and make it his or her bitch for the rest of its natural born existence... It just isn't a god anymore. Sorry.

So. for anyone who lost count, that's three midgets, two zomg epic deities, six wtfs, and three unobtainables. 14 legends just THIS gen. Toss that into our current count and we now officially have 35 legends. God help us all. Not teh fine-china collector PokéGod either.

And anyway, what are we betting on that Gen 5 gets even MORE epic?

I can see it all now: Deusaint (A Psychic/Ghost God PokéMon dwelling in the sky and commanding vast celestial legions of flying types). Lucifear (A Dark/Ghost Devil PokéMon dwelling in the core of the earth commanding vast demonic armies of fire-types). For aeons they have been amassing their strength, preparing their strike against each other in a war that will rage across the heaven and earth and destroy the universe in a clichéd armageddon-like display of power.

Riding as the heralds of the apocalypse are the four legendary centaurs (because ya gotta have horse-men somehow): Equwar (Steel-type, featuring more cannons and swords than could be good for it. And two huge lances on its sides. It posesses the ability Bloodlust, which sharply increases the foe's attack, but makes them confused!), Falomino (Ground, representing the barren earth, it is the world's most anorexic-looking equine, its ability reduces all stats of what faces it - YOU try fighting when you're hungry!), Pestaur (Poison-type, armed with the deadly Disease Cloud ability which instantly badly poisons the foe just by BEING there!) and lastly, Skullion (Ghost type, a skeletal Centaur surrounded by a grey misty outline, its very presence in battle has a chance to cause automatic fainting unless foiled by an ability or a special item, LoL EPIC!!!).

And As you can't have a good Revelations knockoff without some kind of Antichrist, we have the Fione-version of Lucifear, the pure-dark type Pentot, and its oposite number, fione-version of Deusaint, the pure-psychic type Cruxon (Which completes the holy Pokétrinity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Goat, Aruseus).

Also, Insert a few pantheonic legendaries for good measures - Beelzebite the Bug/Dark type, and Gabriarch the Fire/Psychic type, for one. I could come up with more angels and demons but my memory of Christian pantheon is kinda sketchy. They'd probably get some Shinto twist into them too and get redubbed anyway so why bother?

... And there'd be cherub and imp unobtainable mewannabes too. Just because I said so.

Lastly, to complete the air of madness, the main character's going to be slightly psychotic and the final form starters are all part-steel Biomechas of death with freaky cockpit like constructs in their heads.

PokéMon Genesis Evangelion: Heaven, Hell and coming soon after, the special Purgatory Edition! Coming Soon to an alternate reality near you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do see where you're coming from.. I dispise the use of legendary pokémon quite a lot, but then again, im also against the idea that some pokémon are just so ridiculously overpowered that they can sweep entire teams (e.g. salamence, tyranitar, metagross and the new sceptile lookalike one). I think that legendaries shouldn't be available for capture in the games rather they are seen and thats all that happens... All that really happens is young kiddies use legendaries to get through the game because they have no clue actually how to play the game, basically making them cheating devices.
I think that really the games should have a balance in the power of pokémon, rather than having pokémon like blissey, skarmory, salamence and metagross running around constantly. I prefer the anime idea of pokémon being difficult to capture etc, but then again, i think im getting cynical in my old age... :p

Actually, its people who hack Legendary Pokemon like crazy so that they can have more than one of a certain Legendary Pokemon on their team that I find to be the real N00bs.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Finally read this, lol.

And I must agree that I fear to see what some of the Legends in Gen 5 will be. We have Pokemon who control TIME AND SPACE, and Aruseus who's said to be the creator? Either they go deeper into religion or start throwing out even more Pokemon from alternate dimensions with godly powers... Unless, by some chance, gen 5 is supposed to be very different from all the previous generations (at least plot-wise), including its legendaries.

I think a lot of the legendaries that appear useless now may develop their own purposes, though. For all we know, spin-off games may be planned that surround specific legendaries beyond just the standard 3rd game. I'm still hopeful that the mass abundance of them won't just be pointless in the end... Probably misguided hope, tho >>;

But I must say, I didn't find the quest to unlock the three Regi annoying at all. I thought it was the best part about them XD

But I must say, I didn't find the quest to unlock the three Regi annoying at all. I thought it was the best part about them XD

Yeah, the Regis and Deoxys were the only legendaries that required solving puzzles in order to encounter them.

I know I mean all of my friends are obsessed with the legendaries! Keep it simple. like my fav is a simple Seviper and their favorites are all legendaries.

Meh, as far as I'm concerned legendaries are no more special than any other Pokémon. I'm just as likely to have a Dunsparce in my party as an Arseus.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... Except that no other Pokemon have powers that control space and time, or are considered the creator of all life/Pokemon life in myths :p

Although, Rotom likes to think it's as unique as them ^_^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Rotom is the token Beldum Wannabe for this gen. You can only get one, after the elite four. And you have to coax it out of some electronic something, too. >>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
And, according to Alex, it has different music than the standard battle theme.

I do think they've gone a bit overboard with the legendaries, however, aside from their abilities to be caught, they ARE just Pokémon, I use suicune because I love the way it looks, and it has the capability to be a decent water type, and mew because it can learn any attack.their stats arent any higher just because they're "legendary", so I don't see what the big deal, at least up til GSC... of course, with the advents of gens III and IV, they went WAY overboard

I despised legendaries from the start. I only like to catch them to use for trophies. Only experienced players can go through a game without having a legend on there team.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
EVERYONE can get through the game without a legend on their team. It's just that a lot of newbies (and quite a few n00bs x_X) like them because they're zomg so powerful and uber and crap. :p

There are a lot (a ton) of legendaries out there. But you can count the number I would use with single digits. Plus I'm a teensy bit annoyed that you actually have to get in a car and drive somewhere for some of the Pokemon. Out of those legendaries, there are only two that I am even remotely interested in having.

I'm also annoyed at the freakishly high level these Pokemon are when you capture them. I used Kyogre in Sapphire because it was at level 40 when I got it. I like raising Pokemon from low levels. And that Kyogre turned out very powerful because of EV training. I only captured the legendaries to complete my Pokedex.

I much prefer to use Pokemon like Salamence, Metagross, and Tyranitar. Aside from being some of my favorites, it's rewarding to raise them from their lower evolutions to the lean, mean, fighting machines that they become. And yes, anyone can get through the game without legendaries. I did it back when I had NO idea what I was doing.

Okay, thats gotta be the longest thing i didnt bother to finish reading, and my input on this, would be saying "ZOMG WTF BBQ, THATS ALOTTA LEGENDARIES" but yes, theyere going a bit overboard..and there is a reason for that...that reason is called "Franchise marketing"

Heh....must...not....get...started...on...Legendaries...on...teams...rant....

Anyway, that IS alot of legendaries, but...we've got over 450 Poke'mon now. That isn't a high percentage. (Quick math suggests around 8-9%)

Now, for part of my rant about using Legendaries on teams....I fully respect your choice to use legendaries (talking to people who use legendaries) on your teams, but it still feels irkish to me to use something like that. I don't use legendaries on my teams, and I rarely (if ever) use Ubers. I know that this puts me at a disadvantage, and will over Wi-fi. However, I like it that way. I get a good feeling thinking of what the look on someone's face will be when I pwn their precious Legendary/Uber with something less used. (Ok, I use the standard Skarmory on my best team, but that's only 'cause I love Skarmory so much) ^_^ I will look forward to facing some of you on Wifi when D/P comes out.

I never really noticed how much legendaries there were, it seemed so small compared to the total now, 493 pokemon. But 14 legendaries in the next game seems so...stupid

lol time + space

they're running out of ideas, which isn't good. next thing you know they'll be making a legendary pokemon based off emoticons

It is pathetic, how many they make, at this rate, by generation 7, it will be a complete Pokedex of legendaries.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, the world doesn't get destroyed by rampaging legendaries until generation 11, the post-apocalyptic future after Deusaint and Lucifear duke it out. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
And, according to Alex, it has different music than the standard battle theme.

The standard Legendary Pokemon battle theme, to be exact. The same one you'll get against the trio and all the other legendaries except Dialga/Palkia and Cresselia (who only has a normal battle theme when you encounter her to throw you off guard).

Rotom is also oddly placed in the Pokedex, in between all the new evolutions and all the Legendaries.

Its stats betray its wannabe Legendariness though, distinctly average. It can also breed freely too.

I know I mean all of my friends are obsessed with the legendaries! Keep it simple. like my fav is a simple Seviper and their favorites are all legendaries.

Heh, I get what you're saying. There's another Pokemon fan whos name is Donny that I talk to on the school bus. My favorite Pokemon is Cyndaquil and his favorite is Articuno!

I've gotta agree, there are too many legendaries. But it is probably for advertisement, I mean, imagine this:
You're a little kid, and you hear there are creatures that control time and space. Better yet, you can capture them and have them yourself!
See what I mean? Little kids just wanna have ultimate power. Trust me, I know (looks at brother saying this). Also, they want to have an explaination to the Earth, how everything got here, etc.

Aruseus. . .

Aruseus???

Is that a little like AruZeus?

Personally, I think we'll have ledgendaries of every Greek God imaginable, along with backstories. "Veneous, PokéGoddess of Love!" "Muarz, PokéGod of War!" "Dinochious, PokéGod of Wine, Women, and Song!" "Nurcuirerey, Messenger of the PokéGods!"

. . . I could go on for HOURS.

After a point, every pokemon will be "ledgendary", and it'll lose it's charm. . . .they'll have to think up a new word (AruZeus forbid!)

Oh, PokéGods, I'm afraid I just gave Nintendo an idea. . . >>

Personally, I only take ledgendaries to the Final Four (excuse me, too much basketball *head spins*) because they're usually some of my highest level pokemon at that point, even being freshly caught, and they usually fill a niche in my team. "Free level 40 fire pokémon? Excellent! I'll replace my level 23 HM slave with him. Give us a fighting chance, now." I usually don't end up using it unless i'm in a major pinch, as my level 60 and 70 pokemon clear the field quite nicely.

I use Suicune on silver for an entirely different reason. He was a gift from someone very VERY dear to me that I lost a long time ago, and the Suicune is my only reminder of him, my only way to connect with him, reassure myself he was real at one point in time, and not just some stray part of my imagination, because honestly, sometimes, I doubt.

*dashes off to draw her Greek PokéGods*

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Mew, no fucking Duh. Mew was a Gen 1 PokéMon, Arceus is a Gen 4 PokéMon. :p

I'm not talking gen wise. I mean being born. Arceus created the universe, Mew is the ancestor of all pokemon.... Which one came first?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I believe that this calls for the OTHER half of this rant, so far available only in dA. Because if I see the Mew/Arceus debate again, I'm going to explode. Then unleash a horde of vicious Broodlings.

Let me drill it into the minds of all fantards whatsoever. Arceus is NOT God. Mew is NOT the creator of all life.

Mew has an uber-complex genetic code that supposedly possesses "the genetic composition of all POK×™MON". The games did not elaborate much on that, but they seemed to indicate that this is the reason that Mew is capable of learning any TM whatsoever. It seems to me that this indicates that Mew's genetic code simply contains elements traced in all discovered PokéMon so far - primarily those having to do with attack and defense abilities. I find it unlikely that the ENTIRE genome of EVERY SINGLE POKéMON SPECIES has been analyzed and mapped even with the more-advanced technology of the PokéMon World humans, and as you know, Humans are impressionable creatures. Add that to Mew's elusiveness, intelligence and psychic abilities, and you can see where the myth began.

Now take Arceus. Okay. It lives in another dimension, it's obnoxiously high-levelled, it changes its types by collecting fine china, It got itself a reputation as a god in mythology... But it's still a fucking PokéMon. Once an obnoxious 10-year-old-brat armed with a high-levelled adorable fuzzy puppy kitten can take down said god and make it his/her bitch by use of a small plastic sphere, it's not a god anymore. Just another overpowered godmodiac, a broken almost ridiculously-fanmade PokéMon which one really wonders what were Game Freak smoking to create. The PokéDex entry only says that it is said that it used its thousand arms (a bad mistranslation, as the thing doesn't even HAVE fucking arms) to create the world.

Newsflash, fantards. PokéDex entries were WRITTEN by HUMANS. The Heaven's Pipe (or Azure Flute as the Dub calls it, obviously to cover any onoes religious reference) was named by HUMANS. And if these humans believed differently, it could have been called the Loopy Ocarina and no one would have given a damn. Also, weren't flutes Lugia's gimmick? Why is it that the games seem to be re-hashing movie concepts for their newer generation legends? I mean, originally, the whole 'upsetting-their-balance-would-fuck-the-weather' gimmick belonged to the legendary birds. Now it's Kyogre/Groudon's, AND Arceus stole the flute-gimmick. For crying out KITTIES.

Honestly people. We have enough religious debates in the real world for it to be bad enough without involving pseudo-religions involving a computer-game world. There's a town that worships SLOWPOKES, for fuck's sake. I would kindly appreciate if you removed your heads from your pseudo-religious behinds.

End Rant Part II. >>

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The answer is quite simple.

None of them bloody created anything in anything but mythology, and the myth you attributed to Mew doesn't even exist. Mew came first game-wise. That should be bloody well good enough for you.

Any further nagging on the subject would result in decapitation.

The "myth" I "attributed" to Mew came off of Mew's desc on D/P, which is also on this site.

Diamond Pearl:
Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe MEW to be the ancestor of Pok?mon.

BTW, is there a link for that town that worships Slowpokes? I wanna travel there one day.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Other Dex entries that predated DP also state that most people believe Mew is nothing but a Mirage. Again, Dex entries were written by humans. :p

The aformentioned town is Azalea, in the Johto region. Feel free to travel there. And stay there. Please. Do us all a favor.

On the very annoying Mew-Arceus deal, I have a logical answer that the younger, or just the one's who enjoy legendaries this much. Arceus gave birth to Mew first, and so Mew has Arceus' DNA and all of the others that Arceus and Mew itself create. You legend lovers happy? Or maybe, when Arceus made the pixie trio, Mew formed off of them. I mean, they look very similar. Whatever though. Doesn't matter too much.
Now take Arceus. Okay. It lives in another dimension, it's obnoxiously high-levelled, it changes its types by collecting fine china, It got itself a reputation as a god in mythology... But it's still a fucking PokéMon. Once an obnoxious 10-year-old-brat armed with a high-levelled adorable fuzzy puppy kitten can take down said god and make it his/her bitch by use of a small plastic sphere, it's not a god anymore. Just another overpowered godmodiac, a broken almost ridiculously-fanmade PokéMon which one really wonders what were Game Freak smoking to create. The PokéDex entry only says that it is said that it used its thousand arms (a bad mistranslation, as the thing doesn't even HAVE fucking arms) to create the world.
Didn't I read this somewhere before?
EDIT: Nevermind. It was answered while I was posting.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Also, Mew isn't even frelling -mentioned- in the Sinnoh Creation myth. In fact, The creation of life is attributed to Psychic Midget Patrol, aka Azelf, Mesprit and Uxie! Which were supposedly created after Dialga and Palkia were formed.

Nice myth, but a myth nonetheless. Every region has its own creation myths. I mean, Hoenn has Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. Kanto and Johto never even GOT into creation myths because they weren't that important or necessary, because neither have liek zawmg epic legends.

Regarding the rant - you may have read it on my dA page, as this is where I first posted the full version of the rant.

Well, hopefully the people in Azalea don't need to resort to Ad Hominems when they debate a subject they care "oh so little" about.

Btw, if you thought I was being serious about any of this..... just.......... I don't even feel the need to say it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully, the people there also don't need to resort to Latin to make themselves sound cool.

Actually, I don't usually get into people's cases so personally, unless if they've given me a reason to do so in multiple threads, and you, Sir Gameshark, have. I don't mean to sound offensive, um, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, but there's a name for people like you, and it's not a nice name.

In fact, I don't think I'm going to bother with this anymore. I'm locking this thread, before this escalates to further stupidity. The point has already been made long ago and it's really redudant to continue beating this dead horse. But I'm warning you. I have a low tolerance for people like you. They really contribute nothing but serve as vectors for aggravating everyone around them.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.