• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Help with Google Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble installing Google Chrome....every time I wanna install it, I get stuck at initializing, with both the original AND alternate version. And then this firewall message keeps popping up saying "GoogleUpdate.exe is attempting to access a DNS server" and even though I let it through, it keeps popping up and it keeps pausing the sequence. Oh, and in case you need to know, my computer is Windows XP.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Your firewall is being a whore. Try turning it off to install Chrome and then adding an exception for it when it next moans at you about it.

LOL I can't do that because I'm on a guest account and something weird keeps happening when I go on the admin account...it says "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display firewall settings." Could this be a virus? Is there anyway I can download Google Chrome to the guest account from the admin account?

Yes it is, because I downloaded Google Chat some time ago on my guest account. GRR!! I hate this!
EDIT: And plus, when I downloaded IE 8, it automatically installed in the guest account....shouldn't Google Chrome do the same thing?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
No, because IE8 is installed via Windows Update, and thus gets installed as an admin regardless of what account you're on.

Also try installing Chrome on the admin account - it'll install for all users if you tell it to during installation.

If that still don't work, from the b0rk'd administrator account, try making a NEW user account with admin privs and see if the same thing happens there.

Status
Not open for further replies.