• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Hardest Video Game to Get

There was one time I tried to look for Pokemon Colusseum, but I had an even harder one.

The hardest one to get was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was gonna get it on the day it came out, so I went to K-mart to buy it, but they didn't have ti there (it wasn't sold out, they just didn't have it in stock), so i had to rent it (which kinda sucked). The next day, my sister told me theay had them in stock, so we went to the same store (K-mart) to get the game. We returned the rented one later.

Suikoden 1-5 are hard to find, as are ICO and...what was it...oh yes, Wii Fit. I'm told you can't find that anywhere. Or was it the board that connects to it? Can't remember.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Star Ocean 2 - the original on Playstation. That was probably my hardest to find as I never did find it (not counting the PSP remake which I do own now).

I missed the boat with that one. A bunch of my friends bought, played, and loved it, but by the time I started searching to buy it the game was already out of print and out of stock EVERYWHERE. After that I made a point to always buy any relatively obscure RPGs that interested me even if I wouldn't have time to play them right away. Who knew when they'd vanish completely?

The original Disgaea almost went the same way for me, but a close friend finally managed to find a new copy of it at a random EB Games. I'm pretty sure that title was reprinted due to its sequel, too.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I remember having some difficulty getting hold of Metroid II: Return of Samus for the Game Boy several years ago - I think it took me about a year to find a copy anywhere. Just to spite me, not only did I beat the game in a mere 3 days, but it then started appearing in every single game store I visited - it never once had them before, and as soon as I get the game, it starts appearing everywhere. *Facepalm*

The videogame that gave me the hardest time to get was Guitar Hero: World Tour. EVRYWHERE the full band games were sold out. Only the stupid double guitar ones. Anyway, from the release day, it took me about 2 months to find. And after that? Everywhere I looked - there it was. -_-

I did not realize how awesome Bioshock was until about one year after its release. I rented it and loved it. By then, all I could find were used copies, and many of them were in poor shape. Then finally I found a fresh copy when they released it as a platinum hit. That took a little while.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
For me, it was Septerra Core. I had a relative who was at the US at the time hunt it down for me, and even for them it was a bit of a struggle. Another reason I value that game so highly...

Anything Wild ARMs was a bitch to hunt down, too.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I can't say that I've ever really struggled to get any game. As someone who often preferred reading or some outdoor activity, and who had a bucket load of College/Uni work to do, games weren't high on the agenda. Until I met my Boyfriend and was introduced to Pikmin. He told me about it, and I thought it sounded stupid. But he said it seemed like something I'd like and that if I could get hold of the games (He'd long since sold his), he'd lend me his GameCube.

We went into town to hunt them down. Pikmin 2 was easy. Pretty much every store had at least one copy. Pikmin 1 was no where to be found. After a day of fruitless searching. I ordered it offline. That's the only game that's ever happened to me with, and thus it'd win my 'hardest game to get' title. I do however realise, that it wasn't difficult, just annoying ^^;

Hmm... I'd have to say Tales of Destiny for the Playstation 1. It took me FOREVER to find that game! I finally found it, and it was like $70 at this game store where the guy was pricing all the games HE liked at skyhigh prices so he could keep them and play them. Needless to say, I passed it up. 3 weeks later, I saw a used copy at another store for $15. Snatched it up like it was free meth XD j/k. But I DID buy it.

Since I tend to get into games long after they're released, many games tend to be hard to find.

The most recent was is Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. It came out in 2007 and I decided to get it in January. I almost didn't get it--I had to go to four different stores (mind you, in my town there are few places you can get video games). The third place I went was to a Gamestop and they told me another Gamestop had it. I assumed they meant in another town. It turns out my city has TWO Gamestops--I had no idea about the second one. But yeah, I got it there xD.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pick a Final Fantasy. Any Final Fantasy.

But... I just bought a brand new copy of FF VIII last year. And that's brand new. D:

They also had unopened copies of FFVII and IX, too XD

The GBA FF ports are also fairly common to find around here at least, and you won't have trouble picking up FFXII or the DS titles. I still see the FF1 & 2 remakes/ports for PSP around quite a bit as well.

Shall I go on?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Correction:

If you live in the UK, pick a Final Fantasy. Any Final Fantasy.

You know it's sad when my little speck of an island has games handy that the UK doesn't XD

It's really that hard to find 'em all? With the consumer-whoreism of the FF series, you'd think it'd be easy to track down =O

Not that surprised, though. There are games I can't find ANYWHERE that other people seem to notice in abundance at certain stores - and vice versa.

My brother and I had a hard time finding ICO, and we found it used at a Gamestop. And to make it better, it was only five bucks. :glee:

My sister said she had a hard time finding the newest Harvest Moon game for the Wii.

Other than that, I actually had a hard time finding a DS. I had a white one and it was first gen, but the bottom screen crapped out on me. So, I went to look for a new one and no one had them (This was when the Cobalt colour was out). So, I had to order one online as the easiest route to go.

It was almost impossible for me to get Paper Mario (N64) without someone wanting about $100 for it. Finally, thank goodness, I was talking to my friend about how much I wanted it and he happened to have it. He gladly gave it to me. =)

I don't buy too too many video games, but I remember two that took me forever to find.

The first was Pokemon FireRed, which I had to go to like four different stores to finally get.

And the other one was Lost in Blue for the DS. My family and I drove to New York City for vacatio and along the way stopped at just about every store that might sell videogames trying to find it. I never managed to get a hold of it and ended up buying an XMen game instead, which was terrible.

IMO, the hardest video games, (yes, games, because they are related and I can never find them) are Warriors Orochi 1 and 2 for Playstation 2. In the summer of '08, I went to Gamestop and ordered Warriors Orochi 1. They said it'd be in in about two weeks.

Three months later, they call and said they had to back-order it from the company, and that would take 2 months. Well, that was in October. It's April, and still, no luck.

I had no luck with Warriors Orochi 2 either, which I also ordered on the same day.

However, for Christmas my friend Trey got Warriors Orochi 2 from his grandpa, who got it in the Little Rock Airforce Base. I didn't know that there was even a store there.

At this point I'm trying to get my sister into the Pokemon games and I'm having an issue finding a copy of Leaf Green. Every time I'm in a game store I check if they have it, but it has been a few months and still no luck.

The game I've had the most problems finding in stores was Phoenix Wright 2 & 3. I didn't want to buy it off the internet in case I accidentally got a pirate copy. :( It took me almost a year to find them and then I found them both on the same day! I try everywhere I go. I live in the UK but couldn't find it anywhere in New York of California when I went. :( It sucked... Well at least I got them now!

Pikmin. 2. Hands Down.

Mon dieu, it took me forever to find that game. When it was in stock when it came out, I got it. However, when a relative drops a gamecube game behind a screwed in wardrobe desk thing, it doesn't do too well when you finally get it out.

So anyway, every time I went to my local Gamestop and to the one in the town next over, AND even in the one at Universal Studios, it was never there. Of course, there was always Pikmin. But not Pikmin 2. I remember just staring at it for two minutes hoping for a two to form next to it. We finally ended up buying it off eBay around Christmas time though, so I'm happy now.

Tales of the Abyss. Any Tales game to be honest. And their guides tend to be more expensive than the game itself. Of course, I must own that too, being the fan whore that I am. I used to hate guides! What happened?

Also, any games by Nippon Ichi can get very difficult to find. They tend to create a bulk of the games and that's it. Very frustrating. Especially since they come out with quite a few in a short-ish period of time. (This'd be Disgaea, La Pucelle, etc.)

For me, I always wanted to play any of the "Tales of" Series, but was NEVER able to find them at any store; I didn't want to order them online.
Now I've only got Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and that took a while for me to track down...
Another game that is hard for me to find like someone said before me the Suikoden games.
I currently own the fourth and fifth though, but sadly never touched them in a long time.

The frickin' Neverhood. A game released in 1995 that didn't sell well - it's no wonder it's rare nowadays. I own a copy, but it's scratched up to hell and back to the point of being unplayable. It's a real shame, too, as this game is one of my favorites overall.

Also, I'm obliged to mention EarthBound and its absurd eBay prices.

I've never really had a hard time getting a video game. Nothing comes to mind- except for Harvest Moon: Island Of Happiness, and it's confusing shipping/release dates. There was the shipping date, and I got confused and thought it would be in stores by then. Well, it wasn't of course. I got it the next day though, so it wasn't a big deal.

Pokemon Box: Ruby & Sapphire is ridiculously expensive. And I'd really love to have that. Of course, I could just buy a Wii and Pokemon Ranch for only $60 more than Pokemon Box. :/

Another one, but I'm not sure if it's out for the US or not...
The Mother games, I've never seen them in stores and since I can't buy online it kind of sucks for me.
I've always wanted to play it. (I think it's only the third on that's not in the US if I remember... IDK.)

Mothers 1 and 3 were never released in the US. Mother 3 can be had for a more reasonable price if you import.

Good luck with EarthBound (Mother 2), though - it fetches absolutely insane prices on eBay.

Darn, I was gonna say Earthbound.

A game that I still have yet to find is Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World on the SNES. That game pretty much sums up my childhood. (just to be clear, that's one game title, not two seperate games)

For me (besides Brawl), was Pokemon Colosseum. I had to check like 3-15 stores (between those two). But then it showed up in one of the game stores back, I think, where my grandparents live. This happened a few years ago.

I looked on Ebay to find the Chrono Trigger (NES) in decent condition, but no where on Ebay could I have found it! I checked Gamestop, EBgames, nowhere!...Until my friend told me he had an extra copy for when he had an NES. :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Of course, since Chrono Trigger was a SNES game, not an NES game, this is either a recurring typo or you've been looking for the wrong game. XD

The only game I've had trouble getting is Puyo Pop FEVER for the DS... It's a stupid little puzzle game released in '05, but when I first got my DS, I played that and Meteos religiously. I lost Puyo, and have not found one store in my area that actually has it. I've gone to like... 6 places. I miss the annoying sound effects. Lesson: don't lose games.

A friend of mine had trouble finding The World Ends With You, although I had no such trouble myself. I've heard many stories of it not being carried in Gamestop, though. Such a good game.

Well, when I first bought my gamecube about 4 years ago, I got two games with it, SSBM, and James Bond: Agent Under Fire, both of which I loved. After a few weeks my James Bond disc broke, and I still haven't found a replacement in any game stores I go to (I look for it every time I go to a gamestop or something similar)

for palkiblake, there is a website called amazon...
anyways for me definitely earthbound (mother 2), mother or mother 3 especially mother 3 since its only released in japan.

The hardest game for me to find was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the Xbox. I had to go to more than 5 video game stores before I found it. And I still can't play it because my Xbox 360 doesn't have a hard drive. >=O

lol i went to midnight release.....and epicly failed cause i trained myself to play with the wii remote alone not with nunchukt also i was like WTFsauce

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix for Gamecube.

For a reward of finishing school early (or rather being the only one to finish all of school in time), I was supposed to get a certain thing I wanted. So I chose DDR Mario Mix. We cannot find it in ANY stores and we've had bad experiences with Amazon. Every online store is either sold out or a very bad price. I just might have to ditch that idea :\