• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

GS Ball

I was just watching the old Orange Islnads episodes and it got me thinking: Whatever happened to the GS ball? I mean they started that whole subplot in the last epidoe of the Indigo League, and dragged it all the way to Johto (to the guy who makes pokéballs, if my memory serves me right), only to drop it from show and never bring it up again. WTF? Do you think they'll ever reveal what it's secret was? And if not, why'd they keep the GS ball in the show for so long, and why did they cut it so abruptly?! ???

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
lol... Ah... The good ol' GS Ball. I've been growling over it since the thing was first dropped from the show :p

Why you ask? Wynaut?

Who knows what those writers are thinking sometimes. It's no different than Pidgeot and Primeape vanishing, though at least those two received cameos in the intro for "Spurt!". A silly waste of what could've been an interesting mini-special, possibly even a movie.

But you never know... stranger things have happened in the show. Maybe, someday, when the writers are sitting around a table with no ideas left, somebody'll remember the fabled GS Ball and it'll spark a chain of events that'll result in the end of the world. Or an episode about the GS Ball opening.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Or possibly both. :p I remember the good ol' GS ball, that thing annoyed me to no end. Especially when people use it in fanfics, reminding me about it all over again. ^^

i didnt like it i thought it had no point and i had a pretty good feeling it was going to be dropped or they found out it had no purpose.any way prof. ivys asistants were using power tools to try and open so that was really useless to even have it in the show :-\

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It should be pointed out, I guess, that the writers from the time of the GS ball no longer actually work on the show.

Nor have they done since before Advance Generation began.

And those that took over in AG have also been shuffled around for Battle Frontier and probably onwards.

It's no real surprise that stuff like that gets dropped - especially when the writers behind it aren't there to do anything about it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, but they've already shown us that plots - or at least characters - from the past episodes may still make cameos once in awhile. The GS Ball held enough mystery that they could've done anything with it, whether by the original writers or not. Though going by Crystal in Japan whatever they would've done probably would've involved Celebi, and that thing has had enough attention as is. So, yeah...

The GS Ball will cause armageddon. Let it rest in peace.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Err...

Emerald? Who said anything about Emerald? I most certainly said Crystal! ^^;

*coughs* >.>

Ahhh. That makes a lot more sense.

Also, it's entirely too bad that my post will forever remain as a monument attesting to how your post didn't always say 'Crystal.' Yep.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah... yeah... What's new? If I were smart I'd just edit your post, too, but that seems wrong for some reason... ¬_¬;

But wasn't the GS Ball pretty much just a plot device to get Ash-tachi over to the Orange Islands and then to Johto (or did he go to Johto on his own)?

Even so...grr...I am one of the people annoyed by it! At first, I had a crazy idea that Mew would be inside (so young...so idiotic...), then I was like, "oh hey, Celebi!" when I heard about the Japanese Crystal GS Ball. But meh...*tosses plastic spork at GS Ball*

I thought that Ash would use it to catch something like that Ho-oh that always appears or that suicune he saw when he first set out for Johto...

Didnt help that they always showed legendary pokémon in the starting either, I hoped he'd throw it accidently and release a mew or something... *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, it's quite obvious what happened.

The GS Ball revealed itself to be a shiny Voltorb, which eloped with Pidgeot to the Land that Time Forgot. >_>

No, what happened was, Prof. Ivy and co tried all they could to open the GS Ball and then they got tired of waiting, so they tried to blow it open but.. they accidentaly blew it up, along with anybody that was never heard from again in Johto.

I say that Kurt never found out the secret of the GS Ball and went mad.

*sigh* Stupid Orange Island series. Created only to buy the creators of the anime more time until Gold and Silver games were finished.

As for Ash's Pidgeot, maybe he and that flock of Pidgey and Pidgeotto migrated. Birds do that ya know?