• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gen V revealed by Pokemon Sunday?! The return of the question mark!

So, there's this huge kerfuffle about Pokemon Sunday showing a preview of it's next episode (Jan 16Th) and the host is holding a card with a question mark on it, leading to speculation of a new Pokemon. Also, CoroCoro has announced that it has something big planned for next issue. Also, there was that 3D modeller wanted ad a couple of months ago.

This seems much more likely than previous times, as:

1. The coinciding of Pokemon Sunday AND CoroCoro revealing something. Last time that happened was the annoucment of HGSS.
2. Movie 13. Seems appropriate, also, they have released a couple of keychains with question marks on them (Deja Vu? Also, might just be Ho-oh and Lugia. Still...)
3. HGSS has been released, so they have probably done all the Gen IV handhelds they want.

Personally, I reccon there will be a new Gen, as everything seems right, and so many things point towards it.

Discuss!

woo! first! ;D
a new generation would be appropriate right now. i just hope that in genV the pokemon dont suck as much as genIV. also i hope that they dont put in as many legendaries as they did in genIV.

Well a big part of the game that people expect now is the legendaries. Also, it's more of a completionist thing for me with legendaries. I just don't use em often. I prefer regular Pokemon. Plus, a whole lot of the Gen IV legendaries aren't uber. These are the banned Gen IV Pokemon on Charms.
Charms Competitive Rules said:
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina
- Manaphy
- Darkrai
- Arceus

There are only 6 out of the 15 or so that are truly dangerous to face. 21 if you count the legendary golem trio and bird trio. But the additon of those two sets don't affect the number of Ubers.

The Gen IV Pokemon didn't suck in my opinion. They were just different. Plus, a lot of people's teams consist of at least one Gen IV Pokemon, proving their usefulness. Bronzong is a popular lead for teams and several teams have Infernape.

Each region just as a different style for their Pokemon. The legendaries are unique too. The number of legendaries doesn't matter depending on how hard they are to get. Some of the legendaries in Sinnoh were event only. This includes Darkrai, Shaymin, Manaphy, and Arceus. Phione should be on this list too because it's indirectly event only. You have to have a Manaphy to get Phione. Regigigas doesn't need an event to get, but you need to have the regis from other games and that could be considered an event.

I'm just trying to say that Nintendo has just created new styles of Pokemon and out of the tons of legendaries they have made, only a select few are uber.

^ Very true.

I have also found that each gen of pokemon have a very distinct style to them. However, with so many pokemon nowadays, it's hard for the new ones to be unique.

However, I have a really good feeling about Gen V pokemon. Although, I've been wrong before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BfFgB-CGuQ
5 New Pokemon Or Pokemon Forms Have Been Confirmed By a Pokemon Movie 13 Advertisement .

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'd put money on new Pokemon. RPG games are done for this gen. We have the Gen IV birthers, D/P, their sister game Platinum, and then two remakes. This would be identical to where we were in Gen III, with the parents games, RS, with Emerald, and then the remakes of RB.

What left is there to do this gen? Nothing, except dish out more spin-offs like PMD and Ranger, and probably even the spin-offs are done too. (Aside from WiiWare titles.) If these five were new formes not yet released for existing pokemons then they would have been discovered in HG/SS' code and we'd have the sprites/stats/ect.

So yeah, new Pokeymanz woo! XD And I dunno whoever made that video is saying. It's not too early. Diamond and Pearl hit Japan in 2006. Ruby and Sapphire hit in 2002. Gold and Silver released in '99. We're in 2010 now. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Gen V hit Japan later this year.

Three words: IT'S ABOUT TIME!

I don't expect there to be a whole pokedex full of pokemon for Gen V for a while, but I would have thought that there would be a Gen V pokemon in a movie. To be honest, I've had a couple of dreams about me watching the anime and seeing a new pokemon. Now it will really happen!

I think that Gen IV had a bit too many legendaries, but I didn't mind too much. Some of the legendaries aren't too uber, either. I can't wait for the new pokemon to be revealed.

Huh. Sem, you have excellent points. I say Generation V shall be revealed next. However, what is going to be the basis of it? I mean, there were the elements for the first two generations, weather for the third, and time and space for the fourth. Where else can they go?

You know, how epic a legendary gets does not automatically guarantee a successful game. Personally, I wouldn't mind if their next legendary doesn't have anything to do with nature, the cosmos and all that. A manmade, cybernetic legendary would be interesting (we only have 2 artificial Pokemon as it is, only one of which is legendary.) Just because the list ends with the Holy Spacegoat doesn't mean Nintendo can come up with anything else. If anything, since Arceus is The Original One, he really should be at the top of the list of Pokemon.

Basically the listings don't really affect whether or not the Pokemon series ends, the popularity of the franchise does.

Hmm...you bring up an excellent point, RX. However, that brings up storyline issues as well, as who would want to build something that'd overtake them?

Oooh, I hope an interesting plot comes out of this.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
They won't give us /another/ Ranger game with the new one already on the way. I would get excited :p

The new game has been confirmed to be an RPG, too (and made by Game Freak, no less). So even if it isn't Generation V game, it's still gonna be closer than a Ranger game or some such.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
This could be curious, since 'RPG' is a rather broad term. And as Game Freak already announced before that they want to introduce more 'action' into PokeMon... And they announced that these new games are supposed to be planned as "an inventive rebirth, featuring completely new ways to play and new Pokémon."

... Suddenly I am a liiiiiiiiittle worried. >>;

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, hopefully not Neopets version of Pokemon.

I'm interested because I've never really been "around" as it where for a new birthing of a Generation but I'm also concerned as to what might come.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Pfft. Masuda was waxing lyrical about how revolutionary D/P were - and while, yes, there were a lot of great, new things that D/P brought with it - they were still fundamentally the same games as the previous 3 generations of games.

I think Masuda's interest in more action in Pokemon games was the driving force behind Rumble and PokePark - and, I guess, the Pokethlon in HG/SS - and that probably means that's more or less what it'll be limited to. It'd be nice if these new games brought with them an even greater level of action-oriented gameplay, or even just new ways of doing things - but I somehow doubt they'll do so to the detriment of the core fundamentals of the series.

I want them to shake things up so much, but I do have to agree with Doc - their formula has them swimming in giant pools filled with gold coins, so they're probably not going to mess with it too much.

I'm really looking forward to gen V being released, it seems so strange to me that its actually been over 3 years since I started playing Diamond. For some reason the gap between gen 3 and gen 4 seemed massive, but gen 4 has kept me very entertained over the past few years.

Quite tempted to head back out to Japan this year anyway, might take the girlfriend out around October time, if I can get a gen V game while I'm out there I'll be very happy, though I can imagine her getting very annoyed with me on the plane journey back....

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
@ Alex/TBA: Maybe that's true, but maybe it's not. You never know. Personally, I don't remember him making boasts this strongly pre-D/P myself.

Then again, I have a bad memory :p

I'm just waiting it out to see what happens. For some reason this time 'round I'm not really wanting to speculate - mostly because people have done it so much in the past only to be proven wrong, and I've yet to even touch HG/SS. It sounds like HG/SS included a lot of subtle gameplay improvements I'd been wanting, so as long as Gen V mimics 'em while adding even more I'll be happy.