• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Full retail games: how do you buy them?

How do you buy your retail games?

• Depends on the game

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I prefer to buy them digitally

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I prefer to buy the physical copies

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I prefer to buy them digitally

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I prefer to buy the physical copies

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nintendo's recent announcement that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be available both in-store and digitally has got me thinking. How do you guys generally buy your full retail games (ie. anything that's available both in stores and on services like PSN, XBL, and Steam). For the sake of the polling, this doesn't include games that are already out of print.

As an additional question: if you're mostly a Nintendo gamer and Ninty does indeed go full-force digital distribution, would you continue buying physical copies or start downloading your new Zelda and Mario games instead.

For me, I pretty well buy the hardcopy of everything. My internet connection is slow and often times unstable, so attempting to download a full retail game would be a nightmare/waste of time when I can just pick it up somewhere and pop it into my PC/consoles. That said... I'm not opposed to buying games digitally, and once I get on a better internet connection I may start doing so simply so I don't have oodles of useless boxes/cases sitting around anymore. PC games tend to be the worst for that. :p

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
I'm old fashioned and like having a physical copy of the game. That said, I mostly only play titles for a Nintendo console, so I've never really had the choice before.

For some titles it'll come in handy. Something like Tales of the Abyss this would have been insanely helpful when stock was so hard to come by (so hard in fact, I still haven't got it >>). It does also mean I wouldn't have to keep different game cartridges with me if I go away for a few days, which always ends up being worry in case you lose one. Having all my games there on my 3DS is a very nice thought, and another big plus point to the idea.

In time I likely will download most games, but for me having a proper copy of a Pokemon, or Zelda game, having that box with the somewhat awesome artwork on cannot be beaten because I've been brought up with them, and look forward to Christmas and birthdays to open presents and see a game there waiting for you. Downloads just don't have that seem feel.xD

I prefer physical copies because I'm sceptic about downloads sometimes there is something reassuring about having the physical copy, and there is a better feeling when you get a game for special occasions like Dem said.

Also I like having glossy manuals and instruction booklets and some games come with some nice extras like my copy of Skyrim came with an old style map which I really like and I really like getting posters with some games but I can't see how a Nintendo one would work wouldn't that begin to render Club Nintendo moot (although I only use it to get points coupons to buy WiiWare games)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
For PC games it makes near as damned no difference now anyway, the DRM generally means the games won't function when the servers are switched off anyway, so why not just go the more convenient route. Plus, not having to mess around with swapping discs around and the fact that Steam practically gives its entire catalogue away twice a year makes it a pretty good deal all around.

The market isn't there on consoles or handhelds to make it worthwhile, yet. The services we already have are slow to bring new games to the library ('cos retailers will shit a brick over it) and mostly static in terms of pricing. There's the occasional 'sale' on specific things on XBL, and PSN has stuff like PSN+ to bring extra value to the table - but otherwise, while the games will crash down to a more manageable price at retail after a few months, they will be the same price forever digitally. It just doesn't make any sense to waste your money.

Nintendo's service will be exactly the same waste, really. While it's a positive sign that Nintendo are cottoning on to taking the online part of their market seriously (and the leaked Rayman Legends trailer seems to at least hint towards a level of parity between the Wii U's online machinations and XBL/PSN), it's also pretty clear that Nintendo will be planning on launching these games at full price on this service and then never letting them drop below that at all.

Suffice it to say, until that digital market begins to evolve into a fluid, dynamic, real marketplace, I'll be sticking with my physical console and handheld purchases for as long as it makes better economic sense to do so.

PS: If Nintendo really - and I mean really wanted to do this right, every single physical copy would come with a code to unlock the digital purchase to your account (assuming that Nintendo is actually the tiniest bit intelligent and you can actually HAVE an account, rather than just tying it to the bloody system again). The benefit of not having to swap discs/carts around is a mighty nice luxury, but not worth paying for the same game twice - or paying twice the price for the same game to buy it online as opposed to in the shop.

I like physical copies for the box artwork, and as Doctor Oak pointed out, price drops. I don't tend to buy games right when they come out, so I get them cheaper as much as I can. My internet also tends to be pretty slow when downloading games, so it's just easier to buy the physical copy.

I would continue buying the physical copies of games even if Nintendo went digital, mostly because I don't see a reason to change now.

I would rather buy the physical copy of a game. Downloads may be stored in to the system ,but there is nothing like feeling of a disc or cart in your hands as you pop in to the console.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The horder-collecter in me will always enjoy owning a physical copy, I think. The boxes just look so darn pretty on my shelf... all ordered and lovely ♥

I generally prefer physical copies but with portable handhelds juggling games is annoying.

Both on my PSP and my DS I do own physical copies but also backups on the flashcards/memory cards simply because its just so much more convenient.

Nowadays I dont use my portables outside a lot but its still an issue imo.

I am a collector though so I like to keep the games physical. And I'm afraid of distribution services getting taken down. I really dont believe that Nintendo will keep their shitty current store up forever. Hell, Wii point cards dont work with the 3DS at this point.
I wouldnt like to lose access to those games forever.

Also, I would kill for a disc changer in the PS3.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
For console and handheld games I certainly prefer the hard copies of the game. Much how I feel about comic books, there is just something nicer to me about having it as a physical thing as opposed to purely digital.

However, my mind changes when it comes to computer games. I have a mass amount of computer games that I have bought from Steam and GOG on my computer and the only physical games I have are from my childhood.

So really it depends on the platform I am playing the game on.

I tend to prefer hard copies, especially of a game series I follow. I would even go as far as getting the JP only released Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix. I'm not opposed to DLL though, that's how I have Infamous and Dead Nation on PS3. I also do ROMs of older games that are no longer in print or never got released in the US.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I'd rather have a physical copy of a game for incidents like what happened to me recently - I've now lost a bunch of downloaded data on my Wii because it got nicked, and because it's not tied into an account, it's gone for good. Unless it's completely out of the question, like some of the Sims stuff, I'll get a physical copy for that reason (similarly, I currently don't play the sims because my hard drive had to be replaced).

I'm in the middle. Unlike with books, I couldn't care less if I had physical copies of games. I mean, I like the idea of having games, but digital downloads sound far cooler and could really boost the connectivity between consoles,handhelds, and other mobile devices. Personally I'm interested in seeing how the Cloud will factor into digital copies of video games in the future.

I have a Steam account now and I buy hard copies of the games too, depending on the game. For example, on harder to find games (i.e., a Portal copy in my tiny hometown) I use Steam, or with usually expensive games I can get cheaper due to lack of packaging and such. However, with handhelds I obviously have to buy.

A more specific example was the time I got Fallout for my computer. It was during a sale and I had a slim chance of finding a decent condition hard copy due to its age. Win-win!