• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

First trailer for the new series of the Pokémon anime teases Pikachu's origin story

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
【公式】アニメ「ポケットモンスター」 2019年11月スタート! 0-52 screenshot.png

It's the latest in the long line of prequel origin stories that literally nobody asked for, and it's coming in just a couple short weeks (in Japan) to kick off the start of a new series of the Pokémon anime. Yes, after over 20 years, we'll finally get to learn the exact, excruciating details of why Pikachu is such an arsehole in the first episode of Pokémon.

The first episode of the new series is called "Birth of Pikachu" - which, from the synopsis at least, we don't think means it actually includes the conception or birthing process... or at least, we hope not...

"In a forest somewhere in Kanto, there once was a lonely Pichu. This Pichu - who was still quite young - had a certain encounter and farewell. This took place shortly before Ash and his partner Pikachu started travelling together. This is the beginning of the anime 'Pocket Monsters'."

While this first episode is mainly flashbacks, presumably sparked by Ash's triumphant return to Pallet Town following his adventures in Alola, the rest of the series sees Ash joining up with new character, Go, in what reportedly will be a worldwide adventure taking place across all the regions of the Pokémon series - rather than just the new Galar region from Sword and Shield. Galar Pokémon Scorbunny and Yamper are at least confirmed to appear, but quite how the new region itself will fit into this series, we're still not sure.

The full trailer (in Japanese) is below:

I love how the anime does new things every series now, ever since the terrible Johto seasons the anime has worked on the same boring filler formula and Misty/Brock got horrendously dull and one-note years ago. SM was a nice change of pace for the anime, and XY did a good job with old formula before that.

Also of note there doesn't seem to be any main female companion this time around. I'm not sure if the anime can really work with just two people, but again, the female leads of the anime have been poorly received for literally years, so the writers probably decided to just stop with the female companion entirely now.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Also of note there doesn't seem to be any main female companion this time around. I'm not sure if the anime can really work with just two people, but again, the female leads of the anime have been poorly received for literally years, so the writers probably decided to just stop with the female companion entirely now.

The schoolgirl in the trailer is expected to be the third protagonist alongside Ash and Go.

Lookin' good! and luckily ash doesnt have a new ha--- Oh... nvm
Thinking about it how does he buy all those hats? He never gets money from battles as far as i can tell