• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Do you still play 3rd gen and earlier?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sometime last fall I was going into a withdrawal for a Pokemon region adventure but didn't know which game to play, so I ended up restarting my Pokemon Leaf Green game and pretty well completed it (minus the PokeDex). Now more recently I was hit with a similar feeling, so I decided to give Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness another whirl. I should have it done right in time for Platinum to arrive :)

So, have any of you guys played through the 3rd gen games or down since D/P were released? Keep in mind that I'm looking at people who've actually played 4th gen and went back to 3rd, not those who've never touched 4th gen at all.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yes, I have played the previous generations a fair bit after I played Pearl. I played through Sapphire to get my Regice after I'd beaten Pearl, and I bought and played through Emerald and XD: Gale of Darkness as well. I've beaten FireRed since getting Pearl as well, and messed around with some glitches (specifically the Mew Glitch) on Pokemon Yellow as well. I would love to play through Gen II again, but my internal battery has conked out now and playing it on an emulator just isn't the same...

I'll very likely be playing through Emerald again soon to grab Latias as well, assuming I don't my hands on one beforehand. *hint* *hint*

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm currently playing through Emerald ^^

I think it's nice to sometimes go back and enjoy the older games, especially since playing them holds quite a few memories of good times. I played FireRed again not too long ago. It's why I really, really want that Gold/Silver update, because I'd love to be able to play through that region again with the improved graphics etc.

I also love the feeling of picking my new starter, so every now and then it's nice to just play through an older game ^^

I've been replaying FireRed recently, just making my struggle through the Elite 4 with Blastoise, Jolteon, Vileplume, Dugtrio, Primeape and Fearow :)

Fun stuff, I love going back to old games. They're always have something that sets them apart from the 'better' versions.

I actually bought Emerald after having beaten Diamond.
I've been trying to complete my dex and I didn't have any Hoenn based game, which was making that kind of hard. I figure once I get Lati@s, I'll probably pass my main team over and restart the game to get a few more legends. (I don't tend to use them, but I do enjoy having them.)

Actually, I do occasionally go back and play Emerald because I want to get all the symbols and I love playing through XD again and again just to choose the different Eeveelutions each time. But Umbreon is my favorite so 7 times out of ten I forget to choose any other and I choose Umbreon xD

I'm in the minority here :p

I don't generally go back to play old games unless I need something from them (i.e. Pokemon or items). Not that I don't like them any more (I love the regions), but I just can't go back to older games for some reason. The bells and whistles of the newer games always spoil me.

I'm going through Crystal again, because I found a Pokemon Themed Gameboy Color at a garage sale a couple days ago. I'm also trying to get through Victory road on Emerald, Even though It's almost impossible without Flash.

I'm going through Crystal again, because I found a Pokemon Themed Gameboy Color at a garage sale a couple days ago. I'm also trying to get through Victory road on Emerald, Even though It's almost impossible without Flash.

Ah, I wish I could play Crystal again :/ There is something wrong with mine though...or at least, how I save it. It seems everytime I get far enough into the game and want to save, I save correctly but when I turn it back on it says New Game. x.x

I went back and played crystal again recently. It was a lot more fun when I realized that I could beat the game without ever throwing a pokeball.

Ooooh, nice topic. =D I have the terrible habit to restart files and then not touch them, leaving many unfinished files laying around. I've been hacking away at Pearl, and everyone once in awhile I try to make some progress on LeafGreen, and I just recently found my old decrepid Blue version that I might take a swing at for the lols. I can't seem to find my old Silver though. D:​

Yes, I do. Not often, but I do. If I ever get a Pokemon urge, I tend to restart my Ruby version, get kind of far, then just transfer all my Pokemon and items to my Diamond :p. I also restarted my Gold version somewhat recently for the first time since it was the newest game. I had wanted to for a while, but the idea of how the PCs in that game work made me never do it.

Right now I'm not playing any Pokemon until Platinum, so it'll be even more fun when I finally get it :)

Ah, I wish I could play Crystal again :/ There is something wrong with mine though...or at least, how I save it. It seems everytime I get far enough into the game and want to save, I save correctly but when I turn it back on it says New Game. x.x

Most likely your game's internal battery is dead and it's a sad fate that a lot of second generation games meet. My poor Crystal game is also a casualty; I found that out when I went back to get a bit of Johto nostalgia and to hear the music again...

But hey, that's all the more reason for a GSC remake :D

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I would, but that would require me to finish uploading all my XD refugees into Diamond and that will take freaking months. >>;

I can barely touch 2nd and 1st gen nowadays. Amusing since Crystal was my uber favorite PokeMon game in the past...

Yes. Sapphire for like the forth time or something. With a different team. This would be the first time I've played a Pokémon game and used every single starter before getting the National Dex.

And I almost tried playing Gold again. But my GBA SP ran out of batteries and I didn't bother charging it. So I haven't played it since I beat he game when I was still a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
In response to Midnight Shadows and Carmen: I've had similar issues with my gen 2 games. I was curious to see what my previous Pokemon Silver team had been before I'd left the thing for dust, but when I turned it on everything had been erased. I wouldn't be surprised if my Crystal game is in a similar state, so I just won't bother with it. Still kinda sad to have all that history just wiped away, but ah well.

I've always liked going back and playing the older games, and I still do after D&P. Me and my friend a few months ago restarted on Red and Blue. We always make sure to pick different starters, and we'll stop playing every hour or two and battle, just to see how far the other person is, and to see who's picking the better team. And we also race to the elite four, and see who can beat the champion in the less in-game time. It's about the forth time we've did it, and it's still fun! ;D

Also last summer I started over on my Emerald, and I still play it quite a few times a week. Then I did plan on starting over on my Leafgreen version, but I think I'll just wait for Platinum now. I don't like starting more than one or two Pokemon games at a time, because then I get confused as to what team is on what version. I'll be looking for my Luxray on my Leafgreen ::)...

I've been playing Sapphire and Leaf Green lately, as well as Colsseum and Gale of Darkness. I still love the 3rd generation. I would also play my 2nd generation games, if only they weren't broken.

I was playing pearl for a while then felt like a old spirit of myself came back and went back to the old school games like red,blue and yellow and I just started leafgreen again with a female starter! ;D

I steal a friend's LeafGreen and play, occasionally. She's horrible, too, so I'm doing her a favor. One time she had three useless moves like Smokescreen on her starter, and I had to fix it.

I basically play her game through for her.

When I finished Diamond my cousin gave me his FireRed version that he was to stubborn to finish. I got to the Pokemon league. I also have Yellow. I used it for glitch testing. Either I went too far or the internal battery died. At least it only costed me three bucks off of EBay. ;D

*bumpity bump bump. Hope it's ok, it's not that big of a bump actually.*

Recently I have been craving Johto, very badly. What with the new re-makes coming soon... I also have been playing Yellow for some reason :3 I just love the way the little Pikachu follows you around!

I don't really play RSEFrLg much, unless it is for DPPt. but I do want to beat Lg sometime soon to get Entie for Platinum, and an UT Mewtwo for competive battling (Yeah, I'm working on a Uber team.) Also, since I discovered EV training, I'd like to run through the Battle Frontier on Emerald real quick.

Also, I want to beat Colluseum for that Ho-oh. I'd love to have one in my OT. :)

I just started playing my Gold version this month, it was my most favorite gen/region/Pokemon game and brought me the most memories of my youth..yet funny thing is I never did beat it! :p
With the new remakes coming out my goal is to defeat Gold after having it for a full long ten years and do it all over again with HeartGold!

I'm actually currently playing my Sapphire again. Actually I picked up my Silver recently too and noticed I never finished the game, but that makes me even more excited for SS and HG.

I still paly Gen 3 and lower. on the lower, I rerely play R/B/Y, just R/S/E. Howerver, I do play S/C sometirmes (and I somehow lost Gold :-\). Other than that the best is Emerald.

Of course I play the older games. For starters, I'm a nostalgic fool, revisiting old memories and accessing long dormant save files seem to put a smile on my face, thinking about all the things I used to do that are now amusing (ignoring EVs for instance in Gen 3.) Secondly, my access to a DS is very limited right now, so I make due with what I have if I ever get a Pokemon fix (which I almost always do.)

I've recently acquired an emulator to play Yellow and Crystal, and for a while I had been playing Fire Red, Sapphire and PMD on my cousin's GBA.

yea i do a coupel mnths ago i got a fire red, emrald, silver gold ,both silver and gold still saves fine byt after a month i beat all the games then started migrating the best pokemon i had from fire red and emrald on to dimond.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I was way too freaking young when Generation 1 and 2 came out. Heck, when Red, Blue, and Yellow came out I was really only... well, a toddler. I think I was around, what, 7, when generation 2 came out in the US, and back then I didn't even know what a video game was. I just stuck with my stuffed animals and did kiddy role-play stuffs for fun. XD

Generation three, on the other hand, was when I started getting back to Pokemon. I guess I started getting nostalgic about Pokemon, and wanted to see whatever happened to it. Did it die? Did people forget about it?

Guess not, for I randomly typed in www.pokemon.com and BAM. Saw stuff about Ruby and Sapphire, and after looking through the Pokedex, I was hooked. Again.

So, I begged my parents to buy me a Gameboy SP and a Sapphire game. Then, after my summer trip to China, I got Emerald. And then I got FireRed a month or so later.

And I'm still in love with my first electronical games, especially Emerald. They're just... awesome.

So my answer, all in all, after this HUGE speach, is yes, I do play 3rd gen. And occasionally earlier if I can convince my friend to let me borrow her old games to play for a short while.

While I have played through Diamond Version, I still enjoy playing through all of the previous games beforehand.

I'm currently re-playing Crystal, and have just beaten Claire ... And I happen to be training for the Elites in FireRed, XD.

*smacks self for renewing old habit of game-multitasking*