• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

daxx0r's drawings

Although I haven't been very good at showing it, I love drawing. It's one of my favorite hobbies, and thanks to the computer, the interweb and my trusty drawing tablet, I can finally display some of my masterpieces!

I like to think it becomes more interesting with a story behind the drawing so here we go:
Ever since I got that tablet I've been trying to get used to it - do some sketches here, some doodles there, but I haven't really worked on anything more complex until now...
Basically, waaay back when I was posting on (I think) the fourth page of the RP-turned-1000 page Tolstoy novel "Every Journey Begins With the First Step", I decided it was high time to make a poster-thingy for the RP and post it here...

I worked on it at a VERY slow pace. This should have been finished months ago, but I was simply too lazy (therefore I also warn you - though I will post more pictures here, chances are it won't be as frequently as some of the others do). Anyway, It was supposed to depict the main characters (Mike and Grey) alongside their Pokémon. I finished the humans long ago, and only recently started on the Pokémon. Thus, the quality and poses don't match. As a solution I split the picture into two. I'll put up the other one later (have to finish coloring it).

Now this picture includes Mike's Charmeleon and Grey's Charmeleon "Reiu" as well as his Pikachu "Pika". For those who haven't been reading the RP like good little boys and girls - Reiu is the shiny one (although it's not really normal shiny either :-/). This was my first attempt at ever drawing pokémon (only did humans before), so I borrowed the poses for Charmeleon and Pika to get started. Reiu's pose however, is an original.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the long delayed premier of my drawing:

pikareiuchar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome, The shading and colors are very well done, and considering Reiu's post is one all it's own, even more a testament to your skills as an artist, keep up the good work

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Kindly state what you like about it. Posts like 'this is awesome' with no reasons are rather spammy.

Love the pose on Reiu, Dax ^^ Glad to see some art-stuffs from you as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I forget which Charmeleon belongs to who in your RP, but Reiu looks awesome. Good coloring, nice original pose, and pretty good shading, too. Love that blue fire XD

Can't wait to see your human picture, dax =)

O_________________________________O

WAIIIIIIIIIIII REIU ISH SQUEE! -pouncetackleglomppounceglomptackletacklehugs Reiu-

That pose is teh cool, n' Pika looks like its curiosity-possessed self! -implodes-

Plus the firez you do are so simple yet nifty....-pokes-

-is burnt ;_;-

Quick to post Grey n' Mike! -paces like the "Journey" fangirl she is-

@.@

-explodesimplodesdiescatchesonfiremeltsintoicecreamisshotisbrickedheadbuttswall in over-excitement-

Hihi, thanks for the nice feedback guys! The human picture should be up in a few days I think.
As for the fire, in case yer wondering, I simply used the design they have in the anime as a reference, drew an outline, filled it in and then erased the outline. Turned out much better than I thought actually.

And now, slightly (very) delayed, comes the other part of my every journey picture. As I said before, this picture was originally merged with the picture of Pika, Reiu and Charmeleon above. However, at the time when it was nearing completion, the two just looked too different to be together - ergo this.

This is not my normal drawing style. Like with the picture above, this is the first time I've drawn people in the Pokémon-anime-style. Interesting that you get to see this before you see my regular art... anyway...
Since this was a bit of an experiment in trying to capture the way the anime is drawn, I admit the pose is a little ...stale. And Grey's hands are pretty weak. The right one (from his point of view) is mis-shaped, and the left one really isn't much of a hand at all. I think the shading is pretty crummy too, but I rushed through it a bit - I have a new project coming along, and I wanted to finish this up tonight. The symbol in the background, for those of you not familiar with it, is the Pokémon League symbol (the same one Ash had on his old cap) - It's supposed to symbolize the final goal of Mike and Grey; namely to reach the pokémon league at indigo plateau and become pokémon masters.

However, all in all, I'm fairly content with this picture. 8)

Mikegreycolor-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for teh double post, but as I'm presenting new work I think it's justified...
Anyway, if you look above, I just said that I've got a new project coming along, and that's why I sorta rushed through the last picture. This is that other project - a manga based on a story I've had in my head for quite some time and which I've been wanting to tell in one way or another. I call it "The Remnant", and it's a science fiction story set quite a bit into the future... I'll let you figure out the rest yourselves. That is, assuming I'll finish what i started here :p

As for the design of the manga, I've decided to follow two rules while making it -
One: It will be read as a manga is usually read (i.e. right to left, so start at the top right picture and move your way down the page reverse of how you'd read any other graphic novel.)
Two: I will only draw it in greyscale. This is for two reasons; mostly because it makes the drawings go soooo much faster, so I might be able to update it somewhat frequently (it's a whole lot easier coloring something, when all you have to think about is how dark it is). The other reason, which is more like a bonus to drawing it in greyscale, is that most, if not all mangas are in b&w.

Btw, I know this page is kinda corny... it doesn't add to the plot development, and was mainly put there to spike your interest as a reader... but it was around 1am when I wrote the text for it it, and as I'm looking at it, I really think I could have done a better job with it... oh well, too tired to fix it now ;)

Alright, enough chatter from me... I hereby present to you the world premiere of The Remnant.
EDIT: I added an arrow on the top of the page, indicating which direction to read - thanks for pointing that out Doc & Persian!
chapter1frontweb.jpg

chapter1frontweb-1.jpg

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I like what there is, but... eh... manga style isn't exactly reader friendly. I don't even know why the Japanese maintain it considering it isn't a standard, everything else is printed normally. People read left to right, it's just really as simple as that, anything else just confuses the brain :/...

Huh... I assumed the japs read everything right to left, but maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Anyway, I'd generally agree with you; it's not reader friendly, but if I'm making a manga, I might as well do it their way, eh? And besides, I think it has a lot to do with training your brain to read in a different way. If we become aquainted with reading the other way, it'll most likely become more reader friendly... just look at the quoran - millions of people seem to read that without too much trouble :p

Yeah, they traditionally read from right to left (technically, it's up-and-down, too, not horizontal), but they sometimes have things written left-to-right...

You should probably tell people it's written from right-to-left. Some people choose to go for the "traditional" way of doing manga, some people go with a more "western" way. But sometimes I don't get told how to read a webcomic...and I honestly have to study the first few pages to figure out which way to read it. -_-;;

But nya. It looks cool, and I'm used to reading left-to-right...so nya. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You probably should just place a notice at the top of each page that it's right to left. I know Pokesho details all their manga pics with an explanation on which order the panels come in first.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Half the comics I've read are right-to-left, so this is ok for me ^^" Really like the way you draw ships. Mine never come out right... Oh, and a bit of constructive crit on the faces of Mike+Grey: their faces are slightly too wide ^^" Other than that, looking good!