• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Danganronpa: Cold Steel (Discussion)

How should the daytime/nighttime system be edited?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paeon Kanetsu

Previously Markus Daymo
Yeah, I'll be busy mainly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with classes... but even then I may be busy on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays... depends on college life.

I've only watched an LP of the first game, and just started playing the second, but let's do this anyway!

Name: Arata Ichirou
Talent: SHSL Poet

Appearance:
Somewhat tall, standing at 5"11, with soft, light-brown skin, and gentle black hair that is swept back, which narrows into one big spike on the back of his head, accompanied by two strands of braided black hair,on both sides of his head, that reach down to his jaw. He has deep black eyes. He usually wears a long, white trench coat, with the top half buttoned, to cover his torso. Underneath this lies a thin, black, longsleeve shirt. He wears light blue denim jeans, with white high-tops.

Personality:
Arata is quite an easy-going individual. He likes to enjoy the little things in life, and often doesn't bother himself with things that make him stressed, or unhappy. This makes him quite friendly, and a nice conversationalist. He can be very dramatic in his everyday life, and often uses flowery language outside of his poems, even in normal conversation. Because of this, people often find him to be quite weird. He likes to gather inspiration for his poems from the world around him, meaning he often spends a large amount of time outside, alone, and one with nature. (Drinking game - take a shot every time you spot the word 'often'.)

Bio:
Arata was raised in quite a rough area, sprawling with all sorts of crime and illegal activity. He witnessed the repeated exploitation of those around him, but hated the fact that he himself could do nothing about it. After all, he was only a boy. This meant that he was often quite depressed, much to the dismay of his friends and family. One day, at school, the teacher was promoting a poem competition with other schools in the neighboring area, and got all the students in class to write something to submit. Filled with all sorts of different emotions at the time, Arata released everything - on the paper, that is. All that regret, sorrow, and frustration he had been bottling up inside ... just, came out. He had never felt so relieved of a burden before. Arata went on to win the competition, and went on to win many more, eventually placing 3rd at the International Poetry Competition. He was known for leaving very strong political messages embedded in his poems, despite being so young. He began to gain more and more fame as time passed, garnering the attention of a certain school...

Other:
He is a big fan of theatre, and enjoys reading plays every now and then. He dislikes violence due to his upbringing. During an interview, he said :

"I've been to the top of the mountain, ....and the bottom of the gutter. There is much to learn from both."

This soon became his most famous quote, and is often shared by others to encourage perseverance in tough times, as well as humility in good times.

Last edited:
I've only watched an LP of the first game, and just started playing the second, but let's do this anyway!

Name: Arata Ichirou
Talent: SHSL Poet

Appearance:
Somewhat tall, standing at 5"11, with soft, light-brown skin, and gentle black hair that is swept back, which narrows into one big spike on the back of his head, accompanied by two strands of braided black hair,on both sides of his head, that reach down to his jaw. He has deep black eyes. He usually wears a long, white trench coat, with the top half buttoned, to cover his torso. Underneath this lies a thin, black, longsleeve shirt. He wears light blue denim jeans, with white high-tops.

Personality:
Arata is quite an easy-going individual. He likes to enjoy the little things in life, and often doesn't bother himself with things that make him stressed, or unhappy. This makes him quite friendly, and a nice conversationalist. He can be very dramatic in his everyday life, and often uses flowery language outside of his poems, even in normal conversation. Because of this, people often find him to be quite weird. He likes to gather inspiration for his poems from the world around him, meaning he often spends a large amount of time outside, alone, and one with nature. (Drinking game - take a shot every time you spot the word 'often'.)

Bio:
Arata was raised in quite a rough area, sprawling with all sorts of crime and illegal activity. He witnessed the repeated exploitation of those around him, but hated the fact that he himself could do nothing about it. After all, he was only a boy. This meant that he was often quite depressed, much to the dismay of his friends and family. One day, at school, the teacher was promoting a poem competition with other schools in the neighboring area, and got all the students in class to write something to submit. Filled with all sorts of different emotions at the time, Arata released everything - on the paper, that is. All that regret, sorrow, and frustration he had been bottling up inside ... just, came out. He had never felt so relieved of a burden before. Arata went on to win the competition, and went on to win many more, eventually placing 3rd at the International Poetry Competition. He was known for leaving very strong political messages embedded in his poems, despite being so young. He began to gain more and more fame as time passed, garnering the attention of a certain school...

Other:
He is a big fan of theatre, and enjoys reading plays every now and then. He dislikes violence due to his upbringing.
Accepted! (It's fine if you haven't caught up with the full series, this role play isn't going to adhere to canon much). Arata is character number 10.

Name: Joseph Mayne

Talent: SHSL Actor

Appearance: Short messy blonde hair styled with a low fade. Sports a red hand over his forehead which covers a little scar. Wears an amber colored t-shirt along with white cargo shorts. Also wears light brown sandals. His blue eyes are covered by the sunglasses he usually has on. Joseph is also 5’9”. Though his body may look like any average teen, he is quite athletic.

Personality: Most of the time, Joseph is seen to be rather laid back. Though expressive at times, his attitude can quickly change. However, he gets a bit anxious when things get hectic and can lose his cool. He tries too get along with everyone, even those he dislikes. If Joseph dislikes something to a certain degree, he may or may not state his concerns. But he’s also quite gullible at times and is quick to follow those who seem to know what they’re doing.

Bio: The scar on his head was due to an ‘accident’ when he was a child. His family was actually not that stable financially. From a young age, Joseph used acting as a way to get what he wanted. Stealing, lying, anything to make money. It’s how he got into the acting business. The first audition he ever took part of was so bad that it over a year before he took another audition. He spent that time learning from his mistakes and analyzing the critiques he received. After a few more tries and honing of his skills, Joseph finally got a part. Ever since, Joseph has gotten every part he’s auditioned for. He has had important roles in shows and movies. He received critical acclaim for his brilliant performance in a recent movie, which caught the attention of Hope’s Peak. A favorite quote of his is, “Fake it till you make it.”

Other: I finished all of Danganronpa btw... it was amazing! :)

Name: Joseph Mayne

Talent: SHSL Actor

Appearance: Short messy blonde hair styled with a low fade. Sports a red hand over his forehead which covers a little scar. Wears an amber colored t-shirt along with white cargo shorts. Also wears light brown sandals. His blue eyes are covered by the sunglasses he usually has on. Joseph is also 5’9”. Though his body may look like any average teen, he is quite athletic.

Personality: Most of the time, Joseph is seen to be rather laid back. Though expressive at times, his attitude can quickly change. However, he gets a bit anxious when things get hectic and can lose his cool. He tries too get along with everyone, even those he dislikes. If Joseph dislikes something to a certain degree, he may or may not state his concerns. But he’s also quite gullible at times and is quick to follow those who seem to know what they’re doing.

Bio: The scar on his head was due to an ‘accident’ when he was a child. His family was actually not that stable financially. From a young age, Joseph used acting as a way to get what he wanted. Stealing, lying, anything to make money. It’s how he got into the acting business. The first audition he ever took part of was so bad that it over a year before he took another audition. He spent that time learning from his mistakes and analyzing the critiques he received. After a few more tries and honing of his skills, Joseph finally got a part. Ever since, Joseph has gotten every part he’s auditioned for. He has had important roles in shows and movies. He received critical acclaim for his brilliant performance in a recent movie, which caught the attention of Hope’s Peak. A favorite quote of his is, “Fake it till you make it.”

Other: I finished all of Danganronpa btw... it was amazing! :)
Boy do we have a lot of J names. Alright, maybe it's not as many as I thought. It's only three…it's not anywhere near V3 levels of repetitive (absolutely nothing against V3, but seriously, how many K names does one need? Six, apparently. Just over 1/3 of the roster). Obviously that's fine though, just kind of funny to me.
Sorry, got off track there for a second. Accepted! (I'm glad that you enjoyed the series, by the way). Joseph is character number 11.

Last edited:
It appears I'm a couple of minutes late. My bad. Nonetheless:
Sign-ups for Cold Steel are now officially closed.

I'm surprised, honestly. I didn't expect for half as many people (if any at all) to join this as there are now. Thank you guys for being interested in this idea! It really does mean a lot to me.
Unfortunately, having this many characters means I'll need to revise the map a bit, but that's perfectly fine.

I'll edit in my own character bios as well as the final roster in a moment.

EDIT: That was a… long moment. Over twelve hours, in fact. The bios have been added on now.
Name: Ryuu Tachibana
Talent: Super High School Level Pyrotechnic
Appearance: At first glance—at any glance, really—Ryuu is the last person you would expect to be an expert with low class explosives. Standing at a rather short 5' 4" with an unkept shag of ear-length black hair, warm beige skin occasionally streaked with soot, and a chronic case of babyface, he'd much sooner be mistaken for a lost child than identified as an Ultimate student. He at least tries to look the part, typically donning a pair of orange fireproof gloves with any (otherwise normal) outfit; his normal outfit being a long-sleeved white shirt, a pair of dark grey jeans, and orange sneakers.
Personality: Generally, Ryuu is an outgoing, friendly person who gets along with just about anyone. This makes him a great conversationalist; assuming you can handle his high energy levels and overly-curious (read: nosy) nature. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to switch gears into high panic mode and frequently second-guess himself the second a situation spirals out of his relative control.
Bio: Born in a Japanese household with a chemist for a mother and a chef for a father, Ryuu was no stranger to accidental fires. However, it was a particular flash of neon orange sparks unintentionally created in one of his mother's experiments that lit his interest in pyrotechnics. He began attending any firework shows he could at the age of seven, but by ten years of age began to think that just watching them wasn't enough. He wanted to make his own. Ryuu went on to create surprisingly high-quality homemade fireworks in a variety of vibrant colours and different shapes. It was when he pioneered an ignition method that allowed multiple fireworks to be lit in rapid succession by only one person that his career began to be noticed by the world, as it allowed him to run entire firework shows by himself. Through social media, his work spread like wildfire. Videos showcasing his shows went viral within hours of being uploaded. He received his letter from Hope's Peak after placing first in the World Pyrotechnics Competition in the firework display category and third in individual firework creation, all of the other entries having been from major companies.
Other: Ryuu owns a bearded dragon named Shigeko he considers to be one of his best friends. The lizard has become his unofficial "mascot" of sorts, a firework in her likeness being lit before the start of every show.
Name: Honoka Kurosawa
Talent: Super High School Level Taxidermist
Appearance: Rather tall in stature at 5' 11", Honoka can't help but appear rather intimidating to any who meet her. Her no-nonsense expression, numerous tiny scars etching across her pale skin, and professional-looking clothing (not to mention her talent) don't help her case. The only detail about her that doesn't seem to completely exude hostility is her cherry red hair, pulled tightly into a messy braid. She can most commonly be seen wearing a well-ironed collared shirt with a dark red tie. Over this, she always wears a dark brown apron, presumably some kind of leather, regardless of whether she is working or not.
Personality: To anyone who doesn't know her well, Honoka comes off as cold and a touch disgruntled, as if she's always rather be wrapped up in her work as opposed to having a conversation. She's concise and straight to the point in her speaking, even if the point is something as petty as pointing out that your shirt is un-tucked. Despite her uptight exterior, she is loyal to those she cares about and has a rather lighthearted sense of humour, in start contrast as to what one might expect.
Bio: Honoka was born into a relatively chaotic family of hunters, all of them hired in an attempt to keep the rampant boar and deer under control. Honoka, seeing as she was far too young to receive a hunting license of any kind, she attempted to "re-build" some of her family's kills, carefully curing and stitching together the hide to achieve a life-like result. She began to garner a name for herself after some of her creations began to land themselves in museum exhibits, causing visitors to do a double-take at the taxidermy animals behind the glass. Professionals in the field described her work as "Disturbingly realistic," as well as "A perfect preservation of the animal in life." Despite this positive feedback, Hope's Peak was relatively reluctant to accept a taxidermist, not seeing much in the way of how such a skill could help the nation as a whole. However, that changed completely when she was commissioned to create an imitation of a recently-discovered dinosaur based upon carbon prints that had been found of the organism. The completed mount blew scientists away in terms of accuracy, allowing them to run more conclusive studies on how the animal would have lived. It was that which won her a majority vote among the HPA scouters, Honoka receiving her letter shortly afterwards.
Other: Despite having gotten her start due to her family's hunting business, she absolutely despises poaching of any sort, outright refusing to work with any animal that was not legally obtained. She also dislikes talking about herself in any shape or form, preferring to deflect the subject onto recent events.

Last edited:
The final character roster for Cold Steel is as follows:
1. Percy Van Pertrigue: SHSL Drawer
2. ‘Ralphie’ Yuno: SHSL Archer
3. Nathaniel Bonanno: SHSL Mountain Climber
4. Jane Park: SHSL Combat Medic
5. Jason Vellance: SHSL Therapist
6. Parker Bell: SHSL Gambler
7. Paeon Kanetsu: SHSL Film Editor
8. Ophelia Morales: SHSL Gang Leader
9. Hoshi Takeda: SHSL Linguist
10. Arata Ichirou: SHSL Poet
11. Joseph Mayne: SHSL Actor
12. Ryuu Tachibana: SHSL Pyrotechnic
13. Honoka Kurosawa: SHSL Taxidermist

If you notice your character is missing from the list, please let me know.

The role play itself will likely be up sometime on Friday (September 7th). Keep an eye out for that.

Shen: King of Digimon

Previously Shen: King of the Mist
The final character roster for Cold Steel is as follows:
1. Percy Van Pertrigue: SHSL Drawer
2. ‘Ralphie’ Yuno: SHSL Archer
3. Nathaniel Bonanno: SHSL Mountain Climber
4. Jane Park: SHSL Combat Medic
5. Jason Vellance: SHSL Therapist
6. Parker Bell: SHSL Gambler
7. Paeon Kanetsu: SHSL Film Editor
8. Ophelia Morales: SHSL Gang Leader
9. Hoshi Takeda: SHSL Linguist
10. Arata Ichirou: SHSL Poet
11. Joseph Mayne: SHSL Actor
12. Ryuu Tachibana: SHSL Pyrotechnic
13. Honoka Kurosawa: SHSL Taxidermist

If you notice your character is missing from the list, please let me know.

The role play itself will likely be up sometime on Friday (September 7th). Keep an eye out for that.

Okay awesome awesome :) can’t wait for it to be up

This roleplay moves much faster than I expected. :D Take too long typing and 3 other people have responded. Miss a couple hours and everything goes to hell. I'm gonna have to watch this like a hawk.

Btw, Paeon, love the nicknames. I've never laughed out loud at a roleplay before now.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll translate for those that don't want to check google for Hoshi's random outburst in strange languages.

"Scheisse! die Hölle machst du?!" = "Shit! What the hell are you doing?!"
German / = / English​

Last edited:
Btw, Paeon, love the nicknames. I've never laughed out loud at a roleplay before now.
I'm going to second this. I wheezed louder than I'd like to admit at "orange crayon". I've really got to step up my own nickname game.

Also, you guys are so mean to Ryuu. Already he's been insulted, slapped, and set on fire. Not that I'm not cackling over it, but still.
Also, @Riverrunner, I just realized Honoka's name is just Love Live characters mashed together lmao
I've never watched Love Live, so that's entirely coincidental (but pretty funny) if that's actually true. Both of my characters were just the result of me using a random generator and crossing my fingers (bar for Ryuu's last name, which was chosen because it meant "orange/tangerine", which, judging by nicknames, other people have caught on to).

EDIT: As a side note, Paeon, I'd greatly appreciate if you write all of your posts in past tense. I'd hate for this to be shut down over something like that.

Fire Mana

Previously Top_Smug_
I've never watched Love Live, so that's entirely coincidental (but pretty funny) if that's actually true. Both of my characters were just the result of me using a random generator and crossing my fingers (bar for Ryuu's last name, which was chosen because it meant "orange/tangerine", which, judging by nicknames, other people have caught on to).

Ah, that's a pretty big coincidence then! Honoka Kousaka and the Kurosawa sisters Ruby and Dia. They're from different seasons, but seeing the name made me think about it lol

I agree that it's moving a bit fast, but I guess that's to be expected from a roleplay with ten different people involved. Hopefully it'll slow down after the first day (and slow down even more considerably on weekdays. We all have work to get done in real life—I'd imagine—after all).

@The Kitsune If it helps, I'll try my best to keep any progression posts to a time when everyone is active so no one misses them.

Paeon Kanetsu

Previously Markus Daymo
It is moving fast. Sadly, I'm afraid when I have classes on Monday to Thursdays... even then my weekends may be busy as well.

New @Paeon Kanetsu I don't want to be that guy, but your posts need to be in past tense only.

...Crap. Thanks for letting me know.

EDIT:
As a side note, Paeon, I'd greatly appreciate if you write all of your posts in past tense. I'd hate for this to be shut down over something like that.

Already taken care of. I know how much that sucks. It's just that... this is my first roleplay since Early Marchish. Shen can back me up on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, folks.
The game's blog is up. It'll probably be used (in addition to being the student handbook) for hosting maps, as well as the descriptions for the investigation section of the game.

I know it doesn't look super nice right now (hell, it doesn't even have an avatar yet), but I'll get to that when I have the time to.

As a closing note, I request that none of your characters comment on the character bios currently in the student handbook, because I'd like to take a bit of a poll OOC:
Is it fine to leave the bios as they are and allow everyone to have in-character access to that information, or should they be heavily simplified to just listing a student's name, age, gender, talent, and pieces of their bio as opposed to the whole thing (in a more realistic depiction of what HPA would have access to at registration)?

Once again, sorry for the blog's dumpster fire state of of now. It should look a bit better in the future, but as is it took me a while to insert all of the links (which I had to do 2-4 times each because tumblr absolutely loves to not cooperate).

Alright, folks.
The game's blog is up. It'll probably be used (in addition to being the student handbook) for hosting maps, as well as the descriptions for the investigation section of the game.

I know it doesn't look super nice right now (hell, it doesn't even have an avatar yet), but I'll get to that when I have the time to.

As a closing note, I request that none of your characters comment on the character bios currently in the student handbook, because I'd like to take a bit of a poll OOC:
Is it fine to leave the bios as they are and allow everyone to have in-character access to that information, or should they be heavily simplified to just listing a student's name, age, gender, talent, and pieces of their bio as opposed to the whole thing (in a more realistic depiction of what HPA would have access to at registration)?

Once again, sorry for the blog's dumpster fire state of of now. It should look a bit better in the future, but as is it took me a while to insert all of the links (which I had to do 2-4 times each because tumblr absolutely loves to not cooperate).

I absolutely love this idea, I’m all for it. It kinda feels more interactive this way, like we are actually pulling up the monopad :)

Also, I think simplified information would work best. Having a dislike and like could be good as well, to be more accurate

Paeon Kanetsu

Previously Markus Daymo
You know, when we get to the actual trials, we'll need a Monokuma file.

At that point, a new part of the blog would be added right?

You know, when we get to the actual trials, we'll need a Monokuma file.

At that point, a new part of the blog would be added right?
Yep! But only when it becomes relevant (same with adding map floors as the game progresses, etc).
I absolutely love this idea, I’m all for it. It kinda feels more interactive this way, like we are actually pulling up the monopad :)

Also, I think simplified information would work best. Having a dislike and like could be good as well, to be more accurate
I agree. I'll fix the bios when I get the time to. For now, don't have your characters react to any information in the student bios.

Love it! It will be so much easier than trying to refer back to different pages here for information.

Quickly clarification just to make sure it was intentional and not a clerical error;
Nighttime is between 0700 and 2200? So nighttime is from 7am to 10pm? O.o

...Isn't that backwards? Or is that just another absurdity of this chaotic Danganropa world? So they are only allowed to freely explore at actual nighttime, 10pm til 7am?

So I guess we should send you likes and dislikes for our characters?
Sure, unless you want me to just pick it out of your character's bios. If you do, please send them via pm. It's much easier to sort through things that way.
Love it! It will be so much easier than trying to refer back to different pages here for information.

Quickly clarification just to make sure it was intentional and not a clerical error;
Nighttime is between 0700 and 2200? So nighttime is from 7am to 10pm? O.o

...Isn't that backwards? Or is that just another absurdity of this chaotic Danganropa world? So they are only allowed to freely explore at actual nighttime, 10pm til 7am?
…oops.

Man, and I read over these things quite a few times too.
Yeah, I accidentally wrote it in backwards. Big goof on my part (but I guess it works if you guys hate yourselves enough).
I'll fix it in the morning, (and I'll also probably change the terms daytime and nighttime in lieu of terms that fit the setting better).

EDIT: Apparently I double goofed; rule number five states something about leaving the school. Last I checked, this isn't taking place on school grounds. I'll fix that too.

Last edited: