• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Cool Contest

I am in desparate need of a good Pokemon for the Cool contests. I am currently using an Electrode with Thunderbolt, Charge, Explosion, and Light Screen. Even though it wins the Master Rank, I fail to get a painting in the Art Museum. So, I need something that would be good for getting a painting in, as the Cool painting is the last one I need.

Thanks much!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Whee, Contests. You're one of the few people who ever saw them worth the time to bother with.

I don't know a lot about them, i'll look into it. I suspect, for some reason, that Katie may know something about Contests - probably more than me - so have a go at whatever she says / if she posts.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to help you out but there's one big problem... I didn't even know that winning a Master Rank consest for the first time wouldn't always get you a painting in that category. Its never happened to me before o.O

Anyone know the reason why that would happen? I looked for the answer on the web but found nothing :?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Let's see (seeing as I'm here and baored).

My Swellow cleared out Cool Contests with

Double Team
Quick attack
Aeriel Ace
Hyper Beam

I double teamed, then quick attacked, then aeriel aced, then repeated the first two moves or double teamed then hyper beamed.

From what I figured about the not always getting it in is because I think there's a set score you need to beat. Or something.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I wasted a large number of hours on Contests after I beat the Elite Four in Sapphire and couldn't be bothered levelling up my team enough to have a go at catching Rayquaza. (I still need to do that sometime, but I've been distracted by Fire Red/Leaf Green...). Anyway, I was getting great perverse pleasure by maxing out certain pkmn's stats and making them win contests. My favourite remains the Weezing that won a Beauty contest ;).

I have a Wobbuffet who's eaten a few Dry pokeblocks and is equipped with the Blue Scarf (given to my Milotic!), who got to the Hyper rank of Beauty with this combination:
1. Counter
2. Mirror Coat
3. Safeguard
4. Destiny Bond

I did the moves in order: 2, 1, 3, 2, 4.

Note that only Mirror Coat and Safeguard are actually Beauty moves. Destiny Bond is a Smart move - but it gives eight hearts. Apparently (according to dmon2 on GameFAQs, iirc) ANY move which gives "eight hearts and no more appeals until end" is really good as the final move, regardless of whether it's the same type as the contest.

The Beautiful Weezing? Same deal - eaten a few Dry pokeblocks & has the Blue Scarf won by Milotic, then moveset:
1. Smokescreen
2. Haze
3. Sludge
4. Selfdestruct

in order 1, 2, 3, 2, 4. Didn't get terribly far with this one (only to Normal Rank) - to go further I'd need to replace some of those moves with contest move combos in the Beauty category like Sunny Day + Fire Blast, but I was trying to save my TMs for battle and do contests entirely with level-up & egg moves ;).

baratron

Staff member
OK, I know this is an old topic, but I might as well reply anyway ;).

Swellows are good for Cool contests because you have a lot of possible moveset options, some of which are also useful for battle. The three options I came up with are:

option 1: Peck, Focus Energy, Double Team, Quick Attack, Peck (no TMs needed).

option 2: Peck, Double Team, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace, Peck.
Aerial Ace gives 6 points if you are the first to go in that round.

option 3: Peck, Double Team, Quick Attack, Peck, Hyper Beam.
The problem with this one is that Hyper Beam is best performed if you go last, because it jams the other pkmn that have already been - and having used Quick Attack in round 3, you might still be the first to go come round 5. But worth a try if you like taking risks :).

Note that Double Team --> Agility and Double Team --> Quick Attack are both Cool combos. Doing moveset combos gets you a LOT more hearts per round than the move's description would suggest.

In digging through my files I also found the terrifying Beauty moveset for Graveler, Golem or Weezing - anyone wanna see?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... lots of good tips here.

Nobody answered my question, tho, which is probably the biggest issue: WHY would you not be able to get a painting even if you won Master Rank? :shock:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Like I said earlier, I think there's a score that's been set by the previous Cool Contest winner and I think you have to beat it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Aka. you have no idea what that score is, eh? ;)

Any takers? Please...? This has really been bugging me for ages now x.x

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Actually, my estimation is 10.

Or, if you're not me, you got 10 hearts in the actual appeals. That means you got the picture.

baratron

Staff member
What do you mean by the "actual appeals"? Round One (where audience members decide if they like you) or Round Two (where you appeal to the judges with moves). 10 hearts for Round Two sounds pretty low to me, as even with jamming and loss of hearts, I usually manage to come out with 12-15 hearts in that round.

But I could easily believe you need 10 hearts in Round One, which is governed solely by how many Pokeblocks of the correct colour you've fed your creature and if you're equipped with the correct scarf. In my experience, a pkmn who's had just one or two crappy Pokeblocks in that stat only manages 1-3 hearts in Round One, one with the "condition" meter in that stat 1/2-3/4 full gets 5-6 hearts, and it takes having the condition graph pretty much maxed out (a la Milotic) before you get serious heartage.

Hmmm.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Wow. I confuse anyone I want to.

I was referring to Round Two, but your explanation of round one seems fair enough. If a little ridiculous. No offense, or anything. Its just that i got like 5 appeals in round one, but got a pictire.