• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Common Gaming Physical (as in person) Issues and Their Fixes

Hi, I just wanted to make a topic about the more physical issues of gaming. For example, my common issue is sweaty hands making the controller slip out. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Should I mod the Wiimote slightly (i.e., grip tape) or switch hands more often?

This isn't a bad Q and A place for other questions, as well as funny recollections of 'interesting' gaming moments.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Common Gaming Physical (as in person) Issues and Their F

Secad said:
Hi, I just wanted to make a topic about the more physical issues of gaming. For example, my common issue is sweaty hands making the controller slip out. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Should I mod the Wiimote slightly (i.e., grip tape) or switch hands more often?

I can't really think of a good answer for that beyond taking breaks from the game every 20-30 minutes to dry off your hands and the controller.

My problem with certain games is that I can get headaches. Sometimes it's due to camera angles, and the longer I ignore the headache the more nauseous I start to feel. Other times it's because I'm focusing on the screen too hard, or I'm getting tired and shouldn't be playing yet still do. The last cause is probably due to dehydration, but that causes me headaches in general.

I can't really think of any fixes for my headaches beyond knowing my body and taking breaks when necessary. That's usually a good tip for everyone tho.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord

I'd say games don't typically give me headaches (though they certainly make them worse), but honestly, I have no idea where the boundaries lie for what does and doesn't give me headaches any more. They just seem to happen on the basis of "I haven't had one for a couple of days" now.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member

Linkachu said:
My problem with certain games is that I can get headaches. Sometimes it's due to camera angles, and the longer I ignore the headache the more nauseous I start to feel. Other times it's because I'm focusing on the screen too hard, or I'm getting tired and shouldn't be playing yet still do. The last cause is probably due to dehydration, but that causes me headaches in general.

I can't really think of any fixes for my headaches beyond knowing my body and taking breaks when necessary. That's usually a good tip for everyone tho.

The same thing happens to me. The best advice I could give is just when you know which games can give you headaches just play for 30 minutes to an hour (depending really on how long you can hold out before you get a headache) and just leave it for 30 minutes and then come back to it. Works for me.

Carpal tunnel and things similar are the worst ><

Sometimes I think I might end up with that after some serious gaming sessions, my wrists can super hurt. I do some stretches etc but even so :o

Well I don't know how to stop the sweaty hands problem I used to get it when I was younger not so much now.

The problem I have is while I'm using a remote or typing a grey-green film/dirt (presumably dry sweat and dead skin) sticks to my keyboard and remotes anyone got any ideas in how to stop this problem and any ideas to clean it because I don't like scratching it off it gets stuck in my nails, I can't get it of my keyboard by scratching it and it makes my hands smell of gone off cheese :(

I've never encountered any problems with PC games, not even headaches, which I now realize is less common then I thought. I do tend to get minor muscle cramps in my fingers after playing DJ Hero for too long, because you have to scratch, tap, and the like constantly.

I used to heavy sweaty hands after gaming as well, but that somehow started getting less and it's no longer a problem. I'd suggest having a couple of tissues to wipe your hands every now and then, like Katie said.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member

I don't think I game enough to get many problems XD

I've hurt my eyes before, purely from playing for to long. I think it was way back when I first got Pokemon Red. I'd been playing it for ages, and when I finally stopped my eyes really stung and it took a while for them to be able to focus on far away things properly XD

Not that I really play anything in 3D currently, but watching the 3D animation videos on the 3DS does start to set off my motion sickness~

The focusing thing happened to me after I played Minecraft on my new laptop for ten hours a day for three days that week. Everything was blurry, but I found that some eyedrops help. I keep them around for allergies, and they work for irritated/stressed eyes as well.

I have the sweaty hands problem XD, also I don't get hedaches normally, except I pass like the 4 hours (I usually spend like 2 or 3), I don't really have problems because I had my whole life gaming and on the computer. I get rarely headaches and very often swaty hands.