• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Are you bold?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Topic inspired by Alex (aka. the Doc) ^^

Where does Pokemon stand in your public lives?
Does everyone know you like it or is it a closet hobby?
If you had one, would you wear a Pokemon T-shirt in public or be too ashamed of it?
Do you still fear the taunting?

This isn't a topic to judge everyone's fandom, it's wondering how you guys deal with it outside the 'Net. The life of a high school Pokemon fan can be tough, eh? ;)

Being the type of person I am, I never feared being ridiculed for liking Pokemon. I was defensive to people bashing it for a few years, but probably half way through Grade 10 I realized that fighting back was futile. All that really mattered was how I felt about it.
So... life went on, and my the end of grade 12 pretty much everyone in the school (even grade 7's) knew I was a Pokemon freak. Didn't phase me one bit. I thought it was actually kind of cool :lol:

Now for the rest of you. Are you bold? :twisted:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Hmm...define bold....

1: Publis lives? don't make me laugh.
2: Yep, everyone knows I like pokemon, and anyone who mocks me gets punched in the... nose.
3: Sure as hell yes.
4: Fear? I never had feared taunting. *Pulls out death ray* No one taunts me anyway *Points Death Ray at teahers*

Everyone knows I like pokemon, and laughs at me for it so i recite my favourte ever saying:

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the sam.

That shuts them up

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I meant 'bold' in the sense that you're not afraid to stand out, which I guess you're not :)

Violent, aren't we? J/k ;)

It's actually quite cool at school, people know I play and I know other people play. Being a senior helps although I wouldn't go as far as wearing the shirt.

Actual conversation "Where the fuck do you get Staryu?"
me "(shrugs)"
"oh well, later"

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Where does Pokemon stand in your public lives?
Does everyone know you like it or is it a closet hobby?
If you had one, would you wear a Pokemon T-shirt in public or be too ashamed of it?
Do you still fear the taunting?

1: It doesn't. Not many people care for it here, so there's little point of running around screaming and raving about it.

2: Closet hobby really. Not exactly though. It's not really a fact of hiding if from my friends any more, just more not feeling the need to tell them about it.

3: I intend fully to wear a Pokecharms t-shirt to Uni/College next year. ^^

4: Not really. It's not really the best way to make friends if everyone just laughs at you because you like something they don't understand. But really, it's just like skating or alternative music. Years ago, you couldn't have enjoyed those seriously without ridicule - yet they're the most predominant life-styles for young people today.

Truthfully, if people started taunting me because i wore a T-shirt with Groudon or Kyogre etc on it or because i pulled out a DS and started playing Fire Red or Emerald, i'd tell them to fuck off and mind their own business.

So, am i bold? Not really, but then i'm not really a coward either. It's more a case of living in a country where no-one gives a damn about the games any more (not hardcore anyway) and having to live with igorant people who don't understand that just because the anime (or 'cartoon' as most people will call it) is dumbed down for kids that it doesn't mean the games are... Though they may not believe me if i showed them some Fire Red action...

Apologies for putting the F-word into the topic for the second time (glares at Meangreen). I think that we've filled our quota for it now...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
1: It doesn't. Not many people care for it here, so there's little point of running around screaming and raving about it.

I didn't make a point to state or yell down the halls that I loved Pokemon, but I did get overexcited sometimes during conversations in places like... oh, let's say... the packed as heck cafeteria ^^;

Then there were the battles... I yelled during battles. Especially when I was losing ;p

Heh... Grade 9/10 were so great because I had a large group of people to battle against. As the years wore on, though, I was basically the only one who stuck with it (at least from my group). Mostly everyone just shrugged and moved on to the next 'big fad' (Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, or simply started playing Magic).

I'm a proud Pokéfan. And I don't mean that I run around screaming like Raichu ( :wink: ), but if someone asks what I'm playing on my Game Boy, I'll gladly tell them.

I've made my own t-shirt with a 3D Poké Ball on front and back, and silhouetted against those Poké Balls are Kyogre/Groudon (front) and Rayquaza (back), with their tattoos glowing, and I'm durn proud of it. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for putting the F-word into the topic for the second time (glares at Meangreen). I think that we've filled our quota for it now...

Hey man that was straight from the horsies mouth, but as of now i'm a clean mouthed Sandal-eating, salad-wearing Hippy.

Hold me to it, there's 5 cents in it...

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I'm a teacher. While I have occasional desires to form a Support Group For Adult Players of Pokemon (usually associated with spending too long reading the GameFAQs forums), I don't make a secret of it either. My best friends sympathise but don't want to get involved, because they are addicted to Final Fantasy and can't afford another major RPG addiction, and my partner, who once found it disturbing, watched me playing Pokemon Channel and is now vicariously addicted. All my friends are geeks of some variety, so anyone who tried to mock me would be a complete hypocrite :).

My students know I play Pokemon, because I occasionally get clouted with it during lessons:

Talking about the metal ore magnetite... or was that Magnemite? Argh!

Rubies and sapphires are made of corundum, which is an impure form of aluminium oxide. Sapphires are made of beryl, which is beryllium silicate. So the answers to question 3 are: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald. Hang on, anyone else getting Pokemon flashbacks?

...hrm.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I used to be unable to say Butterfly or catterpillar.... all that came out was Butterfree and Caterpie.

Such foolishness has ended now, but meh.

Oh, and welcome to the boards mister teacher person. ^^

I'm not bold at all, mostly because my school is made up of over-testosteroned idiots. But hey. I'm more than happy to help people who need it, though.