• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Anime Spoiler that might make blood fly (AG episode 161)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Have people seen the latest revealed AG episode titles in Japan? One's a contest, while the other one's "Jukain! Dawn of Revival!!", aka. "Sceptile! Dawn of Revival".

Ever since the future episode title known as "Juptle VS Tropius! Grassland Duel!!" (Juptle being Grovyle) was revealed people have been debating whether Grovyle could evolve in that episode. This new title points to that as a definite possibility.

So... The time might finally be upon us; the day we say goodbye to Grovyle - one of the coolest Pokemon to ever be featured in the Anime AND one of the best looking in all of Gen 3 - for the much less interesting, and often times considered an "abomination", Sceptile.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it, and if/when I do see it there'll be a mixture of excitement and disappointment: excitement that Ash finally has another fully evolved starter, one I consider stat-wise ("stat-wise" being the keyword) to be the most useful Grass-type out there, but disappointed that it had to replace Grovyle.

Thoughts?

EDIT: It was pretty obvious before but I don't like making any assumptions. Either way, yeah, Grovyle evolved in Ag episode 161 "Juptle VS Tropius! Grassland Duel!!" and Sceptile has joined the ranks. Whee...?

If Grovyle does indeed evolve, I'll miss it, of course. Which do you prefer: an archaeopteryx that can use Leaf Blade? or a monster with a jungle on its freakin' butt? On the other hand, it's not like it would make any sense (for me, that is) to leave any Pokémon unevolved when it means it'll become stronger.

(And, as a P.S., not that it's of huge importance, but the correct Romanization of Grovyle's Japanese name, Juputoru, is actually Juptle, not Juptile. If you want you can edit your post, then mine to make it look like nothing ever happened and that I never pointed it out. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
QuagsireQing said:
(And, as a P.S., not that it's of huge importance, but the correct Romanization of Grovyle's Japanese name, Juputoru, is actually Juptle, not Juptile. If you want you can edit your post, then mine to make it look like nothing ever happened and that I never pointed it out. :p )

If anyone is to blame for that, blame Bulbanews ;)

Anyways, I'll edit it XP

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, on the evidence of these two episodes AND the latest TCG promo set starring a bunch of the cast Pokemon (including a Pidgey that no-one quite understands) - Grovyle will be evolving into Sceptile.

Damn.

I already posted about this about 2 weeks ago though in another topic. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just holding out on the hope that Ash having a Sceptile will mean we'll finally get to see why it looks the way it does, specifically what-in-hecks-name its fuggly tail's for. I'm also wondering if its Leaf Blade attack will be as stunning, if not more so, than Grovyle's was considering its studdy arm leafs. The issue of agility has also been coming up a lot too and if they go by the video game stats this thing should be damn fast, so the show better reflect that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, the deed is done...

Y'know, I got excited when Grovyle started to evolve, but when it was finally all said and done and I saw Sceptile standing there all I could really think was "Blah". Maybe it's due to the fact that Sceptile sucked big time when it tried to battle TR (though the upcoming "Sceptile! Dawn of Revivial" episode will hopefully fix that), but Sceptile just isn't that impressive when compared to Grovyle. At all. Anyone who doesn't agree now probably will after they watch its evo sequence.

It's kinda annoying really. When Charmeleon evolved into Charizard most everyone but a few crazy people cheered because Charizard is such a dang-cool looking creature and a well wanted advancement, but Grovyle's evolution left much to be desired. It shouldn't be like that! >.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I too was actually keen to see Grovyle evolve during the ep - simply because of the situation it was in.

I have to say, it looks better in motion than it does still - but bleh. Still a horrible muck-up of the entire Treecko line. Those yellow balls on its back not only look stupid but also quite like big balls of puss too. Yuck.

And there's just no getting around the fact it has a tree sticking out of its arse.

Although I did like the fact that it wasn't able to attack - it actually gave the throwaway romance triangle between Tropius, Meganium and Grovyle a reason to not be thrown away. Grovyle's heart was broken and the stress of it all left Sceptile unable to perform.

And they even used OK! I have to note that the last time they used OK! was when May failed to beat Drew in the Grand Festival. Not once since has it appeared. (I think)

Dawn of Revival should be cool but if Sceptile IS going to be a Charizard-like powerhouse, it's gone at the end of the season.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Although I did like the fact that it wasn't able to attack - it actually gave the throwaway romance triangle between Tropius, Meganium and Grovyle a reason to not be thrown away. Grovyle's heart was broken and the stress of it all left Sceptile unable to perform.

I liked that idea plot-wise, too, but when I was already down on Sceptile to begin with being unable to see it in action didn't help the matter. I'm holding out until Dawn of Revival to see if my opinion changes, but Grovyle was just so cool in that episode... Especially after it took down Tropius with Leaf Blade. Awesome pose XD

It's true that the Anime has made me love certain Pokemon I never thought I would (ie. Manene, Lotad) but the situation with Sceptile is a bit different because we'll always have Grovyle to compare it too.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
BTW: Manene's voice changed in this episode (And featured, HILARIOUSLY, only in the motto) 'cause of Ohtani-sans maternity leave.

Pikachu is obviously sticking to soundclips.

And WTF is up with people, rangerovers AND THE COMPLETE CRAZINESS that is their driving? Every time a car shows up in Pokemon it's leaping over cliffs and being thrown all over the bloody place.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
... Yyyyyyyyyeah. (shifty eyes)

Grovyle actually looked like he half freakin' murdered that Tropius in that second battle. The expression on the Tropius' face after it was Leaf-bladed... If this was any other anime series, Grovyle's leaves would have been covered with blood and Tropius would have been half-dead. o_o

And honestly, Tropius x Meganium is a pairing that just waited to happen. I mean, Tropius is a freakin' Banana Meganium. Bananium. xD ... It looked kicktail in that episode, though. ^^

Honestly, Ash's Sceptile looks better than the other sceptile that appeared earlier in the series, (less flucking drowsy, for one - Ever notice how Ash's Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile ALWAYS managed to look kickass when the rest of the creatures of the species were atrociously drawn? And had a better voice?) but it still looks pretty freaking bad. Sceptile's just something that wasn't really supposed to happen.

Ah well. Yuurin would have kicked his tail anyhow. XD