• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Anime Pokemon Genders (Beware of Spoilers)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've wanted to post this thread for weeks, and now I can :p

Okay. I don't want any nutty flame wars over what Pokemon is what gender, but... I do want to discuss any Pokemon genders we've seen officially stated in the series and ones that seem more obvious :)

It goes without saying - this thread WILL contain spoilers. Might be minor spoilers for some, but other fans might care - so don't read on if you're one of 'em.

Anyways, a recent episode in Japan (I say recent because I personally just watched it last week :p) stated that Piplup was male. I'm not even sure if it'd been stated before this, but I couldn't recall it. Either way, I approve of the revelation. I always disliked how girly every single one of Dawn's Pokemon seemed, and knowing at least one is male makes a happier Katie. Still... it disturbs me a bit more now that she dresses Piplup in a girly pink cheer leading outfit, too... But hey. Ash has cross-dressed various times. It's all good. XD

As for others... we all know Aipom was female, and Croagunk's been stated to be male. Chikorita was also female. As for Pikachu, I know some people will debate its gender to the ends of the Earth (it truly scares me), but it's been made fairly obvious that it's male, eh? Same goes for Buneary being female.

What about the others? My memory fails me.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Piplup's always been shown to be male. From dressing up (ie: not being in a dress with the other 'girls') to its general attitude. Until that ep, true, it hadn't been explicitly stated, but Dawn referring to her other Pokemon when dressed up in dresses as "You girls", with Pochama excluded was as damned near it.

Pikachu has been treated as male for quite a while too - but they're probably never going to explicitly say so.

(Should probably note here that Spikey Eared Pichu is also female - but that's well known by now, surely).

I hope I didn't misunderstand this topic, but most of the examples I'm giving are based on the gender differences introduced in DPPt.

This was probably a dub error, but during the episode Tentacool and Tentacruel, I read that Misty referrred to Horsea as "he."

I'm pretty sure Ash's Staraptor is male too because of the white markings he has. To the same effect, Paul's Weavile is male because of it ear feather thingies. Since they didn't appear to retcon the Pokemon's appearences because of gender differences (i.e. perhaps Aipom was made female to avoid changing her appearence), Pikachu, Heracross, and Bulbasaur are all male--along with May's Blaziken. Even though that may not be the case because of the Butterfree argument...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pikachu has been treated as male for quite a while too - but they're probably never going to explicitly say so.

Think again.

The episode "The Most Horrible Togepi of All Time!" has finally killed all debates about Pikachu's gender and 100% confirmed it to be male. I giggled at that. Seems they really don't care about hiding the Pokemon's genders anymore.

Jessie's Yanmega has also been confirmed to be female... and Jessie had no idea it was until that same episode XP

Brock's Happiny is female as well, but that one was fairly obvious. *Whistles innocently*

Well, with a voice like that, even I assumed Yanmega was male. Happiny and Buizel are pretty much the only two Sinnoh Pokemon whose traits make it obvious that they're female and male respectively (Happinies being always female, and Buizel having two spots on his back)

Actually, the two Pokemon I'm interested in gender confirming are Gliscor and Monferno. I'll admit I assume Monferno to being male and Gliscor being female, but of course there's really no way to confirm unless any of the infatuation-based skills are used again in a future episode.

Also I'd like to bring up, because it sort of bothers me, legendaries; particularly the talking ones. They're totally genderless of course, but I find it amusing that even they're dialogue is gender neutral (especially in Japanese) Shaymin for instance does not use 'Ore,' 'Boku,' or 'Atashi' and instead uses 'Ni' which from what I understand literally translates to me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Happiny and Buizel are pretty much the only two Sinnoh Pokemon whose traits make it obvious that they're female and male respectively (Happinies being always female, and Buizel having two spots on his back)

Somehow I forgot all Happiny/Chansey/Blissey were female when I made that post. x_________X

*Utter. Failz*

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
See, if you hadn't posted that second comment, you coulda made yourself sound all superior and condescending ;o that's more failz.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
See, if you hadn't posted that second comment, you coulda made yourself sound all superior and condescending ;o that's more failz.

I'm too honest a person to do that! XD ... But enough of my failz for now. ^^;

I actually haven't been paying attention to the gender difference appearances in the Anime as much as I could be. I notice the REALLY obvious color differences for Pokemon like Hippowdon, but the subtle ones I've been overlooking... Will have to start doing that from now on :O

Anyways, a recent episode in Japan (I say recent because I personally just watched it last week :p) stated that Piplup was male
As much as it sucks Katie, we might have to rethink this one.

Thanks to the services of the Serebii episode spoilers, I have become aware of the upcoming episode to be released in Japan this coming Thursday. And it isn't pretty, at all. And that was only one screenshot.

Check it out if you dare, the only spoiler I will currently give is that the episode is going to be called "Pikachu and Piplup Keep Away!". I don't know what the Japanese directors are thinking, but if everyone still thinks Piplup is a male, then don't expect to see the dub version in November/December/Ever...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nope. Piplup is indeed a male. The Togepi episode reinforced that fact, too.

This upcoming episode, however, both scares and intrigues me :X

but in the episode with the machine that makes pokemon fall in love (its fairly new) piplup and pikachu get hearts in their eyes and hug each other for the whole episode, so either pipulp is female or...(because we know two males in the daycare wont like each other at all and pikachus tail has no dent)

heres a comic i've found of the episode
http://media.photobucket.com/image/attract%20machine%20pikachu%20piplup/PKIM82/pikapocha02copy.jpg

Pikachu's tail has never had a dent as gender differences weren't implemented that early in the franchise*. The incident you mention is either an accident of continuity or someone just having a laugh (unless of course, the machine in question is designed in a manner that ignores gender).

*If, of course, I remember this correctly - I haven't played that long.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
If I recall correctly, Pikachu was confirmed male a /while/ ago. I believe it was one of the movies, I wanna say Manaphy-movie. I'm talking Japanese of course, but yes xP

Pikachu's tail has never had a dent as gender differences weren't implemented that early in the franchise*. The incident you mention is either an accident of continuity or someone just having a laugh (unless of course, the machine in question is designed in a manner that ignores gender).

*If, of course, I remember this correctly - I haven't played that long.
wait, so your saying the machine just made random pokemon attracted?

wait, so your saying the machine just made random pokemon attracted?

Though I've not seen much of the episode in question, given the circumstances illustrated in the comic you linked and with our background knowledge of Piplup and Pikachu's genders (assuming, of course, that in the comic they possess the same genders as in the anime) yes.

I would say that episode's use of the word 'attract' is a pun in that the scientist built the machine to attract Electric and Water Pokemon together in a electromagnetic sense, and instead ended up attracting the two types together in a romantic sense. Also of note, was that he invented said device to better the relationship between his Quagsire and Magnemite, the latter of which is genderless.

Personally, I think the Togepi episode has the strongest evidence to date regarding Piplup and Pikachu's gender. That and Movie 8 (Lucario and the Mystery of Mew) in which Ash refers to pikachu as male when he talks about him.

Ash's Sceptile is presumably a male when it falls in love with Meganium. Meganium is a more feminine Pokemon than Sceptile or Tropius. (Tropius was also trying to woo Meganium) But I guess this isn't enough evidence.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I think any male Meganium would beat you up for that statement. Or worse :3 Anyway, yeah while the gender stereotypes are the only thing we can go off of most of the time, they're not enough for us to say for certain. Honestly I'd be very surprised if Grovyle wasn't male, but yeah XD

I have to agree. If we were going off stereotypes all the time, Dawn's Piplup would have a VERY good argument for being classified as female.
I know I know. I was referring to that episode. When Pokemon fall in love, it's kinda obvious based on those stereotypes. I was not referring to the Pokemon itself but how it was acting. And I'm 90% the pink Butterfree was female that Ash's Butterfree left with. The extra 10% gives me room to be wrong XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
To me, the Anime probably played off gender stereo-types more before Generation 4 and the new writers came into play. Nowadays, we probably can't rely on it so much, because to be fair... Just look at Croagunk. It Poison Jabs Brock IN THE ASS to get his attention... and it's male... That never ceases to amuse me XD

As a random note, some of Ash's lines in the "Pikachu and Piplup Keep Away!" episode were pure lulz. He kept staring at them hugging and muttering "This doesn't look right... =|"

To me, the Anime probably played off gender stereo-types more before Generation 4 and the new writers came into play. Nowadays, we probably can't rely on it so much, because to be fair... Just look at Croagunk. It Poison Jabs Brock IN THE ASS to get his attention... and it's male... That never ceases to amuse me XD

As a random note, some of Ash's lines in the "Pikachu and Piplup Keep Away!" episode were pure lulz. He kept staring at them hugging and muttering "This doesn't look right... =|"

Lolz. Your right. Hopefully Croagunk is a guy. And the preGenereation IV is what I was referring to. Butterfree was pink. I don't think the animators would have a pink male one when aiming at little kids. And Grass types were stereotypically feminine til gen IV (I love Grass-types, always have though and I'm a guy XD)