• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Adventures in the Kanto region! (Discussion)

So I’m terms of an rp, how would NPCs work? Would the person battling the gym just also play the gym leader also? I might just be dumb idk.

That's what I was thinking.

NPCs would probably be better, so you can do it in one post instead of waiting on two people. Also, I think it'd be best to make a OC for the champion, since Gary would need to fill Giovanni's spot.
Technically It could be an OC gym leader. Though again Gary as a gym leader is still a cool option so I'm not really going to argue against it.

Gold The Dragonite

Previously Dratingonair
Basically, if a Gym Leader was a NPC, you would attack as your OC, then have the Gym Leader attack. This keeps on going until one person loses. For example:

"Go, Bulbasaur!" The trainer said. "Use Razor Leaf!" "Alright Geodude, use Rock Throw!" Brock instructed. Bulbasaur summoned sharp leaves and threw it at the Geodude, who countered with a large pebble.

It would go something like this. Speech is tedious, so I usually just say "Bulbasaur used Razor Leaf, which was countered by Geodude's Rock Throw." instead of ""Okay Bulbasaur, use Razor Leaf!" the trainer said. "Alright Geodude, use Rock Throw!" Brock instructed."

Jayblade

Previously AceTrainerGold
Basically, if a Gym Leader was a NPC, you would attack as your OC, then have the Gym Leader attack. This keeps on going until one person loses. For example:

It would go something like this. Speech is tedious, so I usually just say "Bulbasaur used Razor Leaf, which was countered by Geodude's Rock Throw." instead of ""Okay Bulbasaur, use Razor Leaf!" the trainer said. "Alright Geodude, use Rock Throw!" Brock instructed."
Alright that looks good to me. So would the battles have to started and concluded all in one post?

In the anime I remember it was based inside a volcano so we can go with that if you guys want.

In the anime they did battle over a volcano... I could be wrong, but I think Blaine mentioned either his Gym or something else was destroyed?

Anyways are all of your guy’s characters going to be collecting badges and competing in the league?

I thought about that and I honestly don't know... Hisato is more concerned with being a ranger than the next champion. He may try just for the heck of it ,but even if he does he won't take it as seriously as Taichi... Taichi is a really cool name by the way. A really cool chinese martial arts style too.

Tyler will not be collecting badges. He will be competing in pokemon contests here and there in the region. I might have him challenge one or two, as a story based thing, but that will depend.

I'm assuming Safron City being the biggest City in all Kanto. Which means it is likely going to be the Hearthhorne City of Kanto?

Any other towns you would reccomend for contest?

Cerulion City would be one, as they do have performances done by the gym leaders there. It would be a water baised show, this would be the theme of said contest. I am thinking that mainy of the major cities would be home to the contests. A few of the smaller town might have one or two contests, but they would be smaller in comparison.

Jayblade

In the anime they did battle over a volcano... I could be wrong, but I think Blaine mentioned either his Gym or something else was destroyed?
Yeah they did fight over a volcano in the anime, but I think I remember it starting inside, I could be wrong though, I can’t remember if that Charizard vs Magmar fight was a rematch or not.

I thought about that and I honestly don't know... Hisato is more concerned with being a ranger than the next champion. He may try just for the heck of it ,but even if he does he won't take it as seriously as Taichi... Taichi is a really cool name by the way. A really cool chinese martial arts style too.
Ah rangers are cool, it’s really nice to have a cast with different goals to one another. And thanks, Hisato is a pretty cool name too. Taichi just comes from Tai from digimon lol.

@Gold The Dragonite will Kris be taking part in gym battles/the league?

I like how Tai and Matt had a similar rivalry to Ashy-boy and Gary...

Side note... you know what's weird?! The fact that in none of the games Blaine uses his iconic magmar... great opportunity for him to have a Magmortar by the way!

I think I might have Hisato perform in a contest or two... Since Hisato is all about that go green life it would make since he'd have a nature inspired a nature inspired attire to wear as he performs in contests...

I do have a question though, are our pokémon going to be limited to four moves or are they allowed to use more their full movepool? obviously a level 5 bulbasaur ain't gonna firing a leaf storm any time soon ,but was curious on the subject.

Jayblade

I think I might have Hisato perform in a contest or two... Since Hisato is all about that go green life it would make since he'd have a nature inspired a nature inspired attire to wear as he performs in contests...

I do have a question though, are our pokémon going to be limited to four moves or are they allowed to use more their full movepool? obviously a level 5 bulbasaur ain't gonna firing a leaf storm any time soon ,but was curious on the subject.
Pokemon won’t be limited to four moves as this will more be following anime rules rather than the games, but that doesn’t mean Pokemon can know like 10 or 20 moves.

Jayblade

That's fair enough. What would you have the limit be? and can they forget moves along the way? Will leveling up play a role?

thanks in advanced.
I’d say maybe around 6 for a limit? I’m not sure how forgetting moves works outside of the games, because having to forget a move to learn a new one doesn’t seem like it would make sense outside of the games, so I’m really unsure about that. I’m not sure if levels would really be a thing either.

Levels are not really a thing. Also the rules of the site have this in there. I am not sure where it is stated though. Pokemon do not really forget moves. They really only become rusty if not used often. They are allowed to have more then four moves. The limit is only really used in the games. Think of it how Ash's pikachu, is able to use all of the moves that he knows at any given time. Also think of it this way, a bird would know the move fly without it having to be taught. This is how it is normally for other RPs. It also puts a damper on things like contests as the moves would limit what the contestants can use to perform.

The reason why I brought up "levels" was purely as an indication of knowing whether or not the pokémon was strong enough to use stronger techniques. I brought up "forget" as a way of switching for stronger moves, Example; Maybe your pokémon knows absorb ,but you eventually reach a point where you would rather it know mega drain or giga drain. thoughts?

Jayblade

The reason why I brought up "levels" was purely as an indication of knowing whether or not the pokémon was strong enough to use stronger techniques. I brought up "forget" as a way of switching for stronger moves, Example; Maybe your pokémon knows absorb ,but you eventually reach a point where you would rather it know mega drain or giga drain. thoughts?
I understand it in those cases as Mega drain and giga drain are just better versions of absorb, so that would make sense for a Pokemon to forget.

Jayblade

Should we come up with preset moves we want our pokémon to know/learn? I like the idea of our pokémon being rusty on moves they don't use often like kitty said ,but ultimately it's your call.
Sure you can come up with preset moves if you want. I do also like Kitty’s idea, it’s much better than our Pokemon just outright forgetting certain moves.

I'm not that bright :(, just to clarify... TM techniques are okay right but no TMs needed. It's weird how the only poison move bulbasaur learns is poison powder through natural leveling despite being poison type... side note I never knew venasaur male and female slightly looked different...
410d760d9494ccd158e81e586d6f24194ab593d8_hq.jpg