• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Action Replay/Gamesharking Poke'mon; What's your opinion?

I personally dont like using cheat devices.. when i was a kid i took advantage of ingame glitches (infinite rarecandy/masterball missingno glitch, mew glitch, etc..) but in terms of getting legendaries, or pokemon in general, im totally against it. I get all my pokemon the hard way.. I'd understand if there was a nintendo giveaway pokemon that you cant get otherwise, but thats as far as i'd go. It sorta defeats the purpose of the game itself.. youre accomplishing something in about 2 minutes that takes us humans..well, a lot longer than that.

As for using it for shinies, if you're gonna do an all-shiny trick ever in the game, you might as well do it right when you start. Still, catching an authentic shiny is much more rewarding, and these cheat devices take out the rewarding part of the game, so whats really the point of playing?

Just my position.. they are great for experimental purposes though.

regards.

Well. Im proud new owner of the DS AR. I bought primarily for pleasing people using Pokesav to creat Pokemon for them. I plan on using to make an in-game only team, and to obtain TMs and Power Items. The Power Items are a biznatch. Admit it.

I would NEVER use hacked Pokemon in Wi-Fi battles and suck....Plus its against the rules :p

I'd use it to hack the TM's, Stones, Evolutionairy items, berries, and hard to obtain items. Why waste your time when you can just get unlimited amounts of items? It's just easier to get those items you want.

It's also just cheap to hack Master Balls, Rare Candies and get Pokemon that can't learn some attacks naturally. That's just plain cheap and no fun. Having a team full of Maxed-Stat Legendaries drops the fun of Pokemon in General.

I'd use it to hack the TM's, Stones, Evolutionairy items, berries, and hard to obtain items. Why waste your time when you can just get unlimited amounts of items? It's just easier to get those items you want.
Especially in the case of the lucky egg.You have three options for getting it.
1)Go around in the FR/LG Safari Zone/D/P Route where you get Miltank util you find one with a lucky egg.
2)Do the quest in pokemon XD(Idve done this way but my sister fucked up my memory card>

IMO it's kind of... stupid. Even for items and such. I mean, sure, if you want one-time-only TMs... But that's why they have breeding and such to pass around TMs and sometimes you need to learn the hard way that you should THINK before you use an item. (I figured this out by wasting X-Scissor on my Naive Gallade, and then I hatched a Male Jolly Ralts about an hour later.)

Plus WiFi was probably intended for it to be easier to get certain Pokémon/items without cheating, but of course people pass off illegitimate stuff all the time anyway and screw stuff up for people.

The one and only reason I'd shark is for Arceus/Darkrai/etc and then it just seems like a waste to spend that much money on just a few Pokés...

Last edited by a moderator:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I'm not against cheating in games, as long as it only affects the person doing the cheating. So it's absolutely fine, imo, for a person to use a cheat code for things like infinite lives in a one-player adventure game. Generally speaking, a person who's using an "infinite lives" cheat is doing so because they've spent money on a game that they suck too much to play the way it was made. For example, I simply cannot do the last two battles on Zelda: The Wind Waker or the last four battles on The Minish Cap - I've tried each of them more than six times. It frustrates the hell out of me to get so close to the end of a game and not be able to finish it. I'm lucky, in that I live with someone who has much better hand-eye coordination than I do, and that I can get him to play the last boss for me. But if I didn't, I'd definitely think about getting an Action Replay-type thing, just so I could finish the damn game.

What I don't like is cheating in multi-player games, MUDs or MMORPGs or the like. If a person cheats in a multi-player game, they're giving themselves an unfair advantage and/or putting the other players at an unfair disadvantage. Back when I used to play MUDs, cheating players were a menace, and made the game a lot less fun for everyone else.

When it comes to Pokemon, it's funny - do you class Pokemon as a one-player game, or a multi-player game? Really, it's just one-player, but the competitive battling and Wi-fi trading aspects of it open it up to be multi-player. And then, it becomes unfair if people have 'Sharked Pokemon with stupidly high stats or "impossible" movesets. It even seems unfair if a person you're playing against has sharked a load of stat-boosting vitamins or Rare Candies, if you've levelled your Pokemon up the hard way. That kind of cheating breaks the spirit of the multi-player battle - unless you're doing the special Steroid Olympics where all the players have cheated.

I suppose what it comes down to is honesty. I don't mind that other people cheat in their games as long as they're honest about it, and don't inflict it on me without my consent. I'd prefer to only battle people who have obtained their Pokemon legitimately and levelled it up the hard way - but if someone told me in advance that they had an "impossible" team, I might like to battle them to see how good my legit team was. After all, beating a cheater with a legit team must make you the most awesome trainer of all ;D.

I also don't encourage any of the cheating devices for the pokemon games,

like someone before me said before it really doesn't make it fair for the players who are actually working hard on the game to get cheated out in a trade or battle with non-legit pokemon.

For example I once battled a trainer who had a Charizard with a pokemon ability that made him regain health every time he got attacked by a water type move :-\.

I only agree with cheats that don't effect your pokemon's stats or level... That just takes the point out of the game. Now, the walking through walls cheat is fine with me as long as it doesn't effect my game in any way...so I don't encourage Action replays... like Nejirio said, It's not fair to everyone who is working hard at trying to overcome the obstacles that people who own action replays can just use a cheat...

i only use item codes, shiny pokemon, wild pokemon codes, but i dont use any kind of code that effects stats ( i'm aganist that) and any hack pokemon i have i dont use for wifi.