• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Most Fanwhoreish Pokemon Purchase?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Note: If you don't really buy Pokemon products, please refrain from replying just to state so XP

Since my latest big Pokemon-related purchase, I've been chuckling at how utterly fanwhorey it is. I ended up buying the limited edition Diamond and Pearl DS because... I just had to have it this time. I passed by the chance of getting any of the previous limited edition DS or GBA/SP's, so I figured why the hell not. So I happily paid the $158 CAN it cost total even though I already owned a perfectly good black DS Lite xD

I know for a fact that this isn't nearly as bad as some people out there, so I'm wondering who you are and what your most unreasonable Pokemon related purchase has been? Do tell :)

My only purpose for buying consoles and handhelds now is for Pokemon related games. I mean, I didn't pay $250 for my Wii just for Pokemon Ranch but it was a major factor in the purchase. Come to think of it I've never played a game that wasn't Mario Brothers or Pokemon related.

I should branch out...

I bought a new DS so I could buy all the pokemon games. Then I bought a gamecube to play the one's one there.

I also bought the anime for my cousins even though they hate it.(I took it home ;D)

Overall, I think I waste alot of money that could go to the poor, but I need my Platinum... ;D

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Meh, not like I buy anything much with parents like mine, but I still have my smashed DS. She lasted long enough for me to beat Volkner in my Pearl game, though. ^^;

But the most fanwhoreish for me is probably my collection of Pokemon toys. Since my parents don't let me buy anything electronicle, I thought, "hey, why not just buy some simple plastic Kricketots, or little plushie Pikachus?" heh... if you look in my closet and take out all the neopet-related stuff in there (I used to be obsessed with Neopets, hence the reason why I have more Neopet stuff than Pokemon stuff... because when I was younger, my parents would buy me more stuff), you would find a huge stash of Pokemon plushies and action figure-like stuff, with a few other stuff here and there. Heh...

I also buy a lot of Pokemon cards, though I never played with them yet, and most likely will never play with them. Apparently most, if not all of my cards are grass/poison/bug and electric Pokemon, but I do have a few Spoinks, the whole Trapinch line, and a missing Chansey... oh yeah, I gave that one away to get a Deoxys card that I lost.

in the electronics subject, though, even though I have a smashed DS and a missing GBA SP, I only bought those just to play Pokemon games. No, seriously. All my games are Pokemon related; nothing Mario, nothing from Sega, nothing that's FE related... yes, all Pokemon stuff. Even when I play any type of SSB game, I always choose some sort of Pokemon, may it be Pikachu (main), Pichu, Mewtwo, or Lucario.

There you have it.

Yeah, the main reason I ever got the Nintendo handhelds were for Pokemon games, though I did branch out for the DS.
I got "Hey You Pikachu!" for Christmas in like 3rd grade... And a talking Pikachu plushie. And I still have it.
Two words. Pokemon. Cards. My brother and I still have a buttload, but we stopped after Johto.
Or my brother and I making our dad take us to BK when they had Pokemon toys in their Kid's Meals... And those Golden Cards... man those were the days!​

Considering the many people I've seen with a vast collection of Pokemon toys and cards, I can't really call my own collection to be that unreasonable. However, despite my attempt to swear off purchasing the tings ever again, I recently bought a Mudkip and Turtwig figurine just to say that I have a figurine of a Pokemon from every generation. (And I'm still contemplating pourchasing the new Pikachu and a Buizel for obvious reasons :p) Also, I purchased a second Cyndaquil and Chikorita because I was too lazy to find my older ones.

However, I might very well consider going so far as to buy a DS myself sometime in the future, and the first cartridge it shall have will definitely be Pokemon and possibly even all three Sinnoh versions to boot.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Like a lot of people here I bought my DS, and all other Gameboys before it, purely to play the Pokemon games. I played a Mario game once, but it was my brothers and at the time I had nothing else.

Pokemon card's has to have been my most fanwhoreish purchase though. I never found a Charizard card in any of the packs I bought, and I wanted him so much. At the time the cards were popular at my school and the teachers hadn't gotten round to banning them yet, so I hunted down a boy who had a spare Charizard. It wasn't in very good condition, some of the shiny foil was coming off and the edges were a bit mangled, but I bought it off him for £5 - a lot of money to me at the time XD It still have it, and love it.

I also recently decided I wanted a Manectric and Electrike pokemon card, so bought loads of boosters until I found them. Looking back that was kinda silly - I now have even more cards that are banished to the shoe box under the bed. Worth it though ^^

I used to collect the cards when I was like 7 and when I got any money I would spend them on cards. I didn't even know how to play at the time. Eventually I learned how to play the game I thought it was lame and a bit difficult to find others to play with so I sold all the cards I had to a hobby shop and made more money than I spent. ;D

I actually bought a Gamecube, DS, and Wii, just to play Pokemon games, i also have a Gameboy andvanc, color, and Gamboy, so i could play pokemon, and i have a gameboy video, so i could watch the series... im a BIG pokemon whore, i have ALL the episodes, and like, twenty pikachu plushies (one i got from the minnesota state fair, i tried like five hundred times to get it, and it cost me like... 50 dollars... itwas probably worth like... 50 cents...)

and i have 7 pokemon shirts, im in 9th grade... so people treat me like a lepper im soo obsessed...

im so dameged... :-X

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Besides all the old cards that I wish I had stayed into? Well, most recently the entire first and second seasons of the anime. xD

Well mine would be the pokemon cards i still have all mine in a box and in a folder in my room, too bad i never got the charizard card off my cousin before he got rid off it.

Well...I'm not entirely sure if it's fanwhoreish but I used to have a charmander watch back in...4th or 5th grade I believe. I loved that thing..it went off in class once with a, "CHARMANDER CHARMANDER!" and everyone was staring at me..>.>' haha. But I collect the cards and I used to have a pikachu and squirtle plushie but have lost them when I moved..:/

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Technically my entire Pokemon collection is just one big fanwhoreism. Aside from the DS, I ended up buying a bunch of the Trading Figure Game figures just for the sake of having 'em (plus, they look nifty) and, like Sem, bought all of the first season Anime and the Orange Islands on DVD. Now I'm gunning for the Advanced Generation collection, and possibly Battle Frontier and first part of DP as well. My little sisters adore the show, so it would be worth it to a extent... XD

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I just ordered a Floatzel and Buizel Tomy Figure set! Weee! I used to have loads when I was younger, they used to sell sets of them at Toys R Us XD Don't know what happened to them all, I only have my Manectric now. I find it quite amusing that I have more Pokemon stuff on display now than when I was younger.

I just bought Mystery Dungeon too, I've never played spin-off Pokemon games before, and I must say I've been missing out! I may just have to buy the guide... to complete my collection of guides ^^

Now I'm gunning for the Advanced Generation collection, and possibly Battle Frontier and first part of DP as well. My little sisters adore the show, so it would be worth it to a extent... XD

Lol, how nice it would be for my younger brother to share the same view. He thinks I'm childish and that I should have grown out of Pokemon long ago, like him XD

Probably the most awkward Pokemon purchase I made was buying a Kid's meal from Burger King a couple months ago. I got a chimchar card holder. A few weeks later, my girlfriend, (who's also a Poke-fan) gave me a Happiny card and card holder she had (she had 2). Other than the obvious buying Nintendo consoles for Poke-games (I still want a Wii) and me buying the manga for Temple of the Sea, thats pretty much it.

I was in like 3rd grade. I bought Paris and a Parasect(Sp?) cards and put them in a case back to back. I went to gym class the next day and I saw my crush. I showed her the cards and she was all like "Cool, I love those." I laughed than she went out with me. Lol, must've been the most luckiest purchase I've ever had.

I miss those cards, :`[

Most Fanwhoreish?

Mystery Dongeon:Explorers of Time.

Bought it soley so I could righteously have played all pokemon-esque games. Except Trozei and Ranger. they both seemed really dumb. >>

But yeah. I never finished it. I started it and got to the pack of luxray, and then I stopped.

So yeah.

Mystery Dungeon.

ALSO,

Worst.

Game.

EVER.

I don't purchase a lot of things, let alone Pokémon things, but here's what I consider my most fanwhoreish purchase. Last summer I went to San Francisco and passed by this anime store a few times (I could tell it was an anime store; there was a mural of Pikachu, Togepi and Mew painted on the side of the building). Anyways, I convinced my sisters to go in with me and made them buy me a Slowking toy :p. I also made them buy me something from the coin machine things out front that give you those little prize filled bubble things. I got a Blastoise in that, it's pretty cool. But yeah, Slowking has no use except sitting on my shelf looking cool, next to a Reptar statue I also bought in San Francisco (I had to, how often do you come across those?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...maybe it wasn't fanwhore-ish at the time, but once upon a time my brother and I got bouncy balls that had Mew in them. The silly part it that we took the Mews out by scraping the plasticy/rubber stuff around it and we still have the teeny-tiny Mews today.​

Hmm...maybe it wasn't fanwhore-ish at the time, but once upon a time my brother and I got bouncy balls that had Mew in them. The silly part it that we took the Mews out my scraping the plasticy/rubber stuff around it and we still have the teeny-tiny Mews today.​

oh i have them, but there still in the balls i had a pikachu, psyduck and one more poke i cant spell :p it is the final eo of charmader

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It's funny how much the mind seems to forget, only for triggers to bring memories flooding back! Those bouncy balls reminded me that I used to have a collection of Pokemon Marbles! I had a bag of them with Eevee on the front, and another with Charizard I think. You could buy sets of them, each containing a random set of marbles with the original 150 Pokemon on. I remember getting a Mew one and thinking it was super rare XD

When they came out I begged mum to take me to the shop that sold them... I bet my Pokemon obsession at its peak drove my parents mad... and cost them a fine few pennies worth of petrol!

Gah, where to begin? For my 18th birthday, my best friend got me a huge Pikachu plush.

Since my parents didn't allow me ANY games my ENTIRE school chareer, as soon as I moved out, I got the (going out of style) Gameboy Colour (two of them!) and Pokemon Gold, Red, Silver, Yellow and Crystal (couldn't find Blue or Silver still looking for them).

Then as soon as the Gameboy Advance SP came out, I got IT as well as every game that came out for the Advance.

Then when the DS came out, I immediately got it (bought with a Final Fantasy III), put Pearl (and the guides) on pre-order, and waited.

While I was waiting, I also got Colosseum for Gamecube (still have to get XD tho').

After Pearl, I waited for my sister to get Diamond. When she didn't, I got it.

Now I am waiting for stupid Nintendo to get the stupid Platinum to Australia. I already have the money for a pre-order, so I can go the moment I hear Platinum is coming, and put it and the guide for it on order.

Now I feel the insane urge to buy some ridiculous over-priced toy from K-Mart, which has no purpose whatsoever than making you feel as though you have spent good money on a toy you will only use once and then place in your attic where you never want to see it again.

Oh! 'fore I forget, I also got the e-scanner thing as well as pretty much the whole set of those cards that worked for them.​

My mom wouldn't let us play video games until at the age of ten I bargained with her for a GBA and even drew up a list of terms of use specifically to get my hands on Pokemon Silver.

Gents, I earned that game. And video gaming rights overall. I mean, shit, I stopped observing the terms of use after about a week, but my mom is still impressed by my powers of persuasion. Ought to go into advertising.

S

Shocari

Those Pokemon Skateboards! I loved those. I remember this little Pokemon store that lasted about six weeks and it sold them. I cleaned shop!

I remember the marbles too. I still have them in a Machamp bag and Gyarados bag. I used to go to sleep with those marbles right next to my pillow so the boogeyman wouldn't take 'em. XD

Oh my god, how did I forget about the battle coins? Anyone remember these suckers?

Anyone?

Crazy times. My sister and I got like four packs each and set to spinnin' like there was no tomorrow.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh my god, how did I forget about the battle coins? Anyone remember these suckers?

Anyone?

Crazy times. My sister and I got like four packs each and set to spinnin' like there was no tomorrow.

Hah, I had those, too. Never actually did anything with them beyond collecting (you mean they were meant for a game? lol), but I owned some. Might even still have an intact set or two lying around XD

(you mean they were meant for a game? lol)

Oh yeah. You spun two of them on a hard surface and then touched them together. That would tell you which section of each coin's outer ring to look at, and by comparing them, you would...

Okay, you know what, they really should have released battle dice instead. Same concept but way less convoluted.

But the coins were also great for use in the card game. They provided more emphasis than the dinky little cardboard coins in the theme decks. By "emphasis" I mean of course "risk of bodily harm".

CARDS.

From age six to age ten I bought SO many cards. I have well over 1000 at this point (not exaggerating, I counted...xD)..I don't even play the game. o__

Well, I got the limited edition Dialga/Palkia DS (I had a DS Lite and regular DS already). And I buy a lot of DS games from Japan, all are $50-$60. I import dolls, too... and sometimes get the ones sold here. I buy assloads of cards (spent $60 to get the Dialga deck and tin, Palkia deck and tin, and Darkrai deck and tin… 'cause I thought "you can't have Palkia without Dialga, and if I'm getting them, why not Darkrai?"), my GameCube was bought solely for Colosseum, my Wii for Battle Revolution/Brawl, and I could go on... but yeah, just as a whole, my money is almost entirely spent on Pokémon. XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a lot of people here I bought my DS, and all other Gameboys before it, purely to play the Pokemon games. I played a Mario game once, but it was my brothers and at the time I had nothing else.

Pokemon card's has to have been my most fanwhoreish purchase though. I never found a Charizard card in any of the packs I bought, and I wanted him so much. At the time the cards were popular at my school and the teachers hadn't gotten round to banning them yet, so I hunted down a boy who had a spare Charizard. It wasn't in very good condition, some of the shiny foil was coming off and the edges were a bit mangled, but I bought it off him for £5 - a lot of money to me at the time XD It still have it, and love it.

I also recently decided I wanted a Manectric and Electrike pokemon card, so bought loads of boosters until I found them. Looking back that was kinda silly - I now have even more cards that are banished to the shoe box under the bed. Worth it though ^^
That's how I am with my Nidorino
After 3 years of collecting, I never got a nidorino
my friend GAVE me one
I was like, :o :D :-*
But my FIRST pack of pokemon cards I got at age 8.
I got a holographic Charizard.
I took it home, put it in my pocket for safekeeping, and my mom decided to wash clothes
not talk about a bittersweet day.

Well, my family just finished decorating the tree.

I had my collection of Pokemon Christmas tree ornaments, including a very cute Plusle and Minun ^^

Anyone have one of those..>>