• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Current Reading Material

So I was busy spamming up the "Current Music" thread with what I like to wear, when I realized. . . Were all talking about what we listen to. What do we READ?

Me, myself, I'm halfway through "Knife of Dreams" at the moment, by Robert Jordan. I read the first. . .12, is it? And I love the series. ^^

I'm also reading "20,00000000 (TwoMillionBillion) Leagues Under the Sea", or whatever it's called, with captain Nemo and the Nautalus and wotnot. It's pretty good, and I think every fishermen should be required to read it ;_; Over fishing in teh seas is a problem, you know, because you gluttons like your tuna. *doesn't touch any form of seafood herself* The descriptions of the different things under water is amazing, and any one who reads it will be sure to have a new apprici. . . Who am I kidding. FISHES! :B

Note: Don't forget to underline book titles! *is shot in the head for paying attention in English class*

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I'm currently reading "The Field of Swords" by Conn Iggulden, the third book in the Emperor series. It's really cool, about the life of Julius Caesar. I've also got "Good Omens" on my book pile. That hardly needs any explanation, and if it does, you fail.

I am the biggest dork alive so I read "Harry Potter" All of them by J.K. Rowling
=D Also I love Manga, So im reading "Gravitation" by Maki Murakami,though Im much to young to buy Remix >>!!!!, "Loveless" by Yun Kouga, and "Chronicles of the cursed sword" By Yeo Beop-Ryong, realllly confusing morbid book.

But I also skip around books and I read Dan brown "The DaVinci Code" Almost every night because its brilliant and im not religious whatsoever so I can stomach that kinda stuff =D! I also love his "Angels and Demons" and "Deception Point". Dan Brown is a Genius!

let's see...right now i'm reading War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
and i've recently read Time Machine, of the same author
The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger,
Neuromancer by William Gibson (not sure if that's the actual author, may update to correct in near future)

i'm looking forward to reading:
Count Zero, by William Gibson
Mona Lisa Overdrive, "

7th harry potter book, the name of which i have forgotten, obviously by J.K. Rowlings.

"Harry potter and the Deathly Hallows" Tpl2000, coming out on 21st of July^^
Im going to be reading it as well.

I also remembered I was reading "The kite rider" Though, I read it alot over and over ever since I found it, Its by Geraldine McCaughrean...Love that book with a passion, I've been reading it for like five years though lol..Thats why I dont really count it that much^^;;

Hmm,

Unfortunately most of the reading I do today is for study purposes rather than actual enjoyment. That being said though I can recount some of my more recent, pleasure driven, reads.

Firsly would be Homers "Iliad". It may well be that it's a few thousand years old but that's never stopped me reading it seven times through and enjoying it each time.

Another I've read recently was "The City of Splendours" by Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham. It's a Forgotten Realms novel if that means anything to anyone. It's probably one of the best FR books I've read. The plot revolves around a group of foppish young nobles who get caught up in a plot to overthrow their city.

Is it sad that the only other literature I've been engrossed in lately is an analysis of the usefulness of fish otoliths in regards to fish populations?

Due to studying I've not got much time to read books atm that aren't course related.
However I've been slowly reading through You Don't Have To Be Evil To Work Here, But It Helps, can't remember who its by off the top of my head, but its a pretty funny book.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... Do graphic novels count? As interesting as they can be, I'm not a huge fan of novels due to being a slow reader, so I don't really have favourite authors, series' and whatnot. That said, there are a few graphic novel series' and books I've been switching around between the past couple of months.

For books, I've been trying to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling since I bought the book... I actually restarted it recently because I'd forgotten what I'd read. Someday I'll finish it... someday XD

Next, I've been reading The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis with my five year old sister, but we're only at chapter three or so. I've wanted to read the collection since getting over my childhood bias towards it (even if I always loved the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe cartoon movie), so I asked for the novel box set for Christmas.

Other than that, I've been following the MAR: Marchen Awakens Romance and Negima! graphic novels for awhile now. Recently purchased the 13th and 14th volume of either respectively and still have yet to fully read through 'em. Other than that, I bought the first Dragon Drive graphic novel a month or so ago and have yet to finish it off. It's another manga I'll probably follow now (I enjoy seeing the dragon artwork verses the CGI from the Anime series).

If you're looking for books by C.S. Lewis, the Perelandra series is good as well. a bit more sci-fi than fantasy, however.

and the entire chronicles of narnia series make great reads.

I started reading the Initial D. manga a few weeks ago. I like it because it's about a high-schooler with an old car beating people with new high performance cars racing on a mountain pass.

I have been reading The Oddesey by Homerus,and Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes,also some poems by Emily Dikinson,but I finished the poems already

Wait A minute... why am I here? I don't read! Aw well. If memory serves me correctly, the most recent thing I have read was Redwall by Brian Jaques... As far as everything else, I completely forgot. Normally I never read for pleasure because nothing really pleasures me. I usually get forced to read... Damn you, Accelerated Reader, Damn you.

I just burned my way through the 5th and 6th Harry Potter books - I want to have all of them finished by the time the last book arrives. Also, for some reason, I'm reading them in reverse order. *shrugs*

Other than that, I also just finished up the two books in the Abarat series - they're pretty good fantasy novels. Worth checking out, I think.

The last books I read was the messanger (which was sooo good)and the last manga I read was gravitation 1 curtosy of lora the biggest shonen ai fan I know ^^"

I wanna get a new novel soon. If it's good, I get so excited to read them, like the next episode coming up on a tv series.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If you're looking for books by C.S. Lewis, the Perelandra series is good as well. a bit more sci-fi than fantasy, however.

and the entire chronicles of narnia series make great reads.

It's not really that I'm looking for C.S. Lewis books, I just wanted to give the Narnia series a chance. Guess the Disney movie - as kiddified as it was - kindled my interests a bit. I have the entire box set now, too, so it's just a matter of actually reading through it.

There are many, many, MANY good Sci-Fi/Fantasy books I could and should read, but I just can't seem to buckle down and become a serious reader ('serious' in the sense that I'd actually have favourite authors). I guess I'm more of an active participant when it comes to that - I'd rather write than read.

Just finished Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code. Too broke to go buy the fourth one. :(

I plan on plowing through The Princess Diaries again soon since I managed to borrow 5-7.

Wow, I haven't read a book since...Harry Potter...Although these days I've been looking for a good Fantasy Novel, witty, magical, and with as little cliches as possible. I guess I'm looking for something new and Fresh. Oh wait, I remember readin "Anansi Boys" By Neil Gaiman, yeah, that sort of fantasy...

Read the House of M and first 2 volumes of Decimation last week. Such an amazing series, if you're a fan of Xmen you really should read it =)

As dorky as it may seem to be reading it, The Harry Potter series. I've read each of 'em like four to five times...'Cept the Sorcerer's Stone. Like.... Seven for that one, and The Half-Blood Prince isn't far behind, at like six. I SOOO can't wait for The Deathly Hollows to come out, on July 21st. WHY NOT EARLIER?! :'(

I have to go to the Library... :p

Yes, Linkachu. ;) I could have phrased it differently... I should have said, "Of the millions of Harry Potter readers, I'm one, too.", but that sounds a bit dork-ish. :p

I hate Harry Potter simply because people keep on telling me I look like the kid from the movie. I DON'T! I HAVE FREAKIN' BLONDE HAIR! HOW THE HELL DO I LOOK LIKE HIM? [/blind fury]

Anywho, I'm reading 1984. I'm like three chapters in and I'm already terrified.

1984 is brilliant... All the futuristic opressive-society novels when they are written well are brilliant to read... What tends to scare most people is that they see similarities with the totalitarian societies they read about, and their own...

Currently on a bit of a reading binge actually... Which is impressive as its one of my lesser seen phases...

The Way We Wore by Robert Elms I have been reading over the past few days, I love being able to read a book about fashion by someone more obsessed about it than I am... The detail this guy goes into when hes talking clothes is actually phenomenal...

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson is in my "to read" pile, I love the movie of this book, its just so utterly amazing, I shall refrain from discussing the topics dealt with in the book for obvious reasons, but the general storyline is that Raoul Duke and his attourney the Samoan travel into las vegas to cover a motorbike race...

I also have the first 6 anthologys of Runaways sitting also in my pile... Supposedly they're really good, but I won't be able to tell you that for a few days...

Galaxy In Flames by Ben Counter. I'm working my way through the Horus Heresy series as so far five have been released. As I'm a Chaos player in Warhammer 40,000 they're good reads.

Reading? ;) :D ;D :-X ::) :'( :o :)

I am a looser, and I just finished Harry Potter 7. It states so on my MSN.
This is how I appear to other people:

DX - AGH WHY DOES IT HAFT TO ENDDDDD :: SOOOOOBZORZ :: HARRRY NOOOOOO!

Yeah. I'm a big looser. And feel free to add me to your MSN, on that note...

Well, I'm also a looser for Manga. I absolutly LOVE it.

He're's the list

Manga I'm reading: Fullmetal Alchemist (my favorite :3), Yakitate!!Japan, Power!! (Girl Got Game - stateside name), Kekkaishi, Tsubasa, XXXHolic, Naruto (in French), Azumanga Daiho (sp?), Yotsuba&!

I highly suggest all of these (except for maybe Naruto. They have over 300 chapters as of now in Japan o_O). Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite, especially how it's going now (I'm talking about the most recents stuff, not what's released in the US).

Kekkaishi is a great Manga too that I just got into about a half year ago. I love the jokes, the style, the characters, plot, everything.

Azumanga Daiho and Yotsuba&! are really cute mangas. I love these for their comic relif x3

As for real books, I am also reading a 'self-help' book (I don't know what this book falls under in catagory, but this I guess is the closest), called Introvert Advantage. I am also reading All Creatures Great and Small for summer reading.

I absolutely love to read. I just finished (like last tuesday) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (the 7th one). I'm re-reading Bring Me Children, a horror book which is my favorite book. A few other books I've read recently are: Out of the Dust, The Phantom Army of the Civil War and other Ghost Stories, The Max Ride Series (Loved! the books!). Thats about all I can think of so far...

At the moment, the book I read is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It is very great, and both the authors are great as well. Haven't really read much more by the two of them (Neil Gaiman: Stardust & Coraline, Terry Pratchett: The Light Fantastic), but I still can't say they are bad, since they are names known in the world of literature.

I am currently reading Chibi Vampire: The Novel, only because they didn't have the manga at Borders. I'm not too far in it, because I'm on the computer too much.

I've been off and on with Children of Dune by Frank Herbert. Such an awesome series that Dune is. So intricate. It's just amazing how many separate stories he can consistently run in the same story.

Well, let's see, I'm reading a whole mess of Manga: my current favorite, Hunter X Hunter, Death Note, Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trinity Blood, and a few others.

My current novels, there aren't as many: Inkspell, Harry Potter (rereading to pass long boring hours), Narnia Series, and that's about it, I don't read novels as much as Manga, I'm just a sucker for a good manga and every so often a good novel comes around.

I'm reading the FullMetal Alchemist manga. I've gotten up to Volume 13 in the printed books, and Volume 18 online. Volume 19 scans should be out soon. I've collected every FMA manga volume that's been released in the U.S. with the exception of Volume 11. I'm also reading Naruto. I've almost finished reading the whole series online, but it's such a good manga, I can't help going back to read it again. ^^

I am quite embarrassed to say Im reading the difficult secdond book, by... Chris Moyles!
It was a christmas gift okay!?
And i think I like it :-[

I've read most of the Stephen King books, all of the Chronicles of Narnia, and all of the Harry Potter books. Right now, I am reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, the same guy who wrote the Da Vinci Code. Pretty good and afterwards, I'm going after Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

I have now finished Chris Moyles.
And am now about to have another go of Harry Potter 7.
Ive only read it once and I had finished after about 12 solid hours (Y)
i am a geek!