• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Yay! I Got an Event Shaymin! Now What Do I Do With It?

Woot! I got a Shaymin. However, I have no idea what to do with it. Can anyone please give me suggestions for EVs, moves, and items?

Species: Shaymin
Item: Micle Berry
Moves:

Seed Flare
Aromatherapy
Substitute
Energy Ball

Please and thank you!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since Shaymin has Base 100 in everything, posting the Nature will be essential for picking the best moveset and EVs for it. Shaymin is a very well-rounded Pokemon, and thus its Nature will to some extent decide itself what moveset will work best.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I do have to ask: did you already pick it up from the man wearing green? If not, you can keep retrying from him until you get a good nature/IVs. If you have gotten it from him, what nature does it have?

Land forme suggestions:

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Bold/Calm Nature
Natural Cure
-Aromatherapy
-Seed Flare
-Leech Seed/Toxic
-Psychic

Support-based, but all around useful. Since the Land forme has Natural cure, it makes for a great user of Aromatherapy, and can easily switch into status for a team member.
Seed Flare is an immensely powerful attack.. which quite borderlines overpowered. 180 base power after STAB, and has a 40% chance of sharply lowering special defense. The effect is why I'd suggest it on the set; it can really tenderize an opponent for your team.
Leech Seed will restore HP, but since it vanishes after a switch, it often compells opponents to do so
Toxic doesn't vanish after a switch, but also doesn't restore HP [I know I'm stating things you know, just wanted to point out what to consider]
Psychic will give coverage on Grass/Poison types you may face, since neither leech Seed, Seed Flare, nor Toxic can effect them much at all. Has other uses too
Healing wish is an option over Leech Seed/Toxic once Platinum is released
Air Slash [assuming you can turn Sky Forme back into Land Forme] is an option for grass coverage as well.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Bold/Calm Nature
Natural Cure
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Rest
-Psychic/Hidden Power Ice or Fire

I see the first Shaymin as being more useful, but this one can still be a major thorn in the side.
Substitute will protect from damage, at the cost of some of your gradually restoring HP. Will also make some people more hesitant to switch.
Leech Seed is for fairly obvious reasons.
Rest will allow you to fully restore HP and status.. and because of Shaymin's ability, it will wake up if you switch out for another pokemon.
Last move is for Grass coverage. Again, Air slash may be possible after Platinum's release.

Sky Forme Suggestions

Shaymin-S @ Wise Glases / Petaya Berry
Timid/Modest Nature
Serene Grace
-Seed Flare
-Air Slash
-Earth Power [Tutor while still Land Forme]
-Ominous Wind [Tutor while Sky Forme]

Shaymin doesn't get a lot of variation in attacks.. but since Sky Forme is only in Platinum, I know you'd have access to the tutors by the time you've got this Forme.
Seed Flare becomes Uber and beyond once you've got Serene Grace at your disposal. 80% chance of sharply lowering Special Defense means that you can't really be walled very long.
Air Slash gets STAB and has a 60% flinch chance.. behind base 127 speed, you're most likely going first and getting that flinch chance off on your opponent.
Earth Power offers some extra coverage; will hit grounded Steels, Fire Types, and electric pokemon threatening to Paralyze you.
Ominous Wind Garners a 20% chance of raising all of your stats.. though it doesn't offer much coverage, it makes a good finisher on pokemon you know you can KO with it.

Blame this for Shaymin being banned ^
Substitute can also fit in the last slot. If you predict a status coming, it'll cost you some HP, but give you an extra free turn later. Also would work really well with the Petaya berry.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I can't remember if the discussion is still open, but if Shaymin-S isn't banned here after Platinum's release, I'll cease battling entirely on this forum XD

Also, no Lax does NOT Lower special attack. It lowers special defense and raises defense. There's an easy way to fix that [or at least make it as if you had a neutral nature] if you go for a defensive Shaymin. An offensive Shaymin or Shaymin-S, it won't hinder, but it won't help either.