• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Wild Mark: A Zodiac Powered Roleplay

Jadewall Academy, Outside the Roost

Seraph arrived outside of the roost a bit later than everyone else. After everyone took off, she decided there was no point in making a plan and just started walking. When she found Malphas, she saw Sooen and Blitz. That latter of whom was yelling at Malphas and a woman Seraph did not recognize. The woman then introduced herself as "Phoenix."

Picking apart the pieces of their conversation, Seraph surmised three things: 1) Black Sage had been injured, 2) Malphas was covering for the sages as to how and why, and 3) Black Sage had muttered to Phoenix about a "heart in the library." That last statement puzzled her. The library seemed like a strange place to keep a heart. Perhaps Black Sage meant something else? Seraph tried to think of words that sounded like "heart" that could be in the library. "Hearth" didn't work. There was no fireplace in the library. Maybe Black Sage was suffering from delirium.

Then it hit her.

"I think I know where that is," Seraph said, stepping forward. Not the subtlest of entrances, but oh well.

"The heart in the library, I mean. There's this mural in the back and...actually, it's easier if I show you."

Jadewall Academy, Inside the Roost

Inside the Roost, the sages were blissfully unaware of the conversation going on outside. Unfortunately, there was nothing blissful about the midnight-haired woman before them. Electra sipped her tea slowly. Her eyes burned with rage, but she was determined to keep her hands steady.

"So," she said in a calm tone that surprised even herself, "here we all are."

White Sage brushed past the other sages and grabbed Electra's wrist. As Malphas predicted, the card was pressed to the palm of her hand. White Sage took it. "What's this?"

For a moment, Electra turned pale with shock. She had never heard White Sage speak so deeply before. They sounded dangerous.

"You're smart," she said, resuming her usual charisma. "You figure it out."

"There's a message," Red Sage chimed in, taking the card. "G0 2 HighEr LeVeLS. ASK 4 JACK. SJ WILL Sh0W U WheR. TaLK 2 THe M0. M0?"

Electra smiled. They had no idea what the message meant.

Red Sage waved the card in the air. "This message is enchanted."

"Naturally," she said.

"What does it mean?"

"Exactly what it says."

White Sage knocked the teacup out of Electra's other hand. This outburst did not surprise the Remnant as much as the first. She heard muffled voices from outside. The sages would not dare attack her. Not unless they wanted their students to hear them.

"Enough of your games woman!" White Sage hissed. "Who were you contacting? What's the M0?"

"That's Mo."

"What?"

Electra sighed. "M-O. Two separate letters. I couldn't finish because Malphas would catch me." The remnant woman leaned back. "Though by your actions, I guess he deduced that already. As for who I sent the message to, you already know that."

"What was the rest of the message?"

"Monkey." She said. A wry grin crossed her face. "I told them to find a monkey."

Jadewall Academy, Outside the Roost

Phoenix turned to Seraph. "I'm fairly certain that it isn't meant for my eyes, but I thank you. Little Serpent."
Likely not the most flattering of nicknames, but Phoenix cared little for such details. She then turned to the door of the Roost, sensing a fellow Remnant. "Do you people always lock Remnants in closets?"

Jadewall Academy, Somewhere Outside

Luna looked down from her perch on the roof of the academy, tail swishing back and forth in frustration. "Where's that stupid Rabbit?"
Having split from the others to cover more ground, Luna surveyed her surroundings. She was hunting. Blitz was her Tiger's favorite quarry, only because he presented a challenge due to sheer speed.
Meanwhile, Sylph was on the ground, talking to the trees. Her brethren. Many were curious about her current state. Though, to be honest, so was she. Not even the Sages were able to explain her current form to her. Just that she was likely this way because of an outside influence of sorts. Though apparently any plant can take human form if they lived long enough. She had asked if any of them had seen Blitz recently, but every tree she asked denied seeing him.

DevVoid

Previously Deathstalker62
Oh goodie, here the rabbit-centered student went on with another tirade again. Really, why was he getting so emotional and worked up over something like this? Malphas himself barely knew what had been going on behind the scenes, never really attending any such meetings other than the couple odd times he just so happened to be present in the same room. This most recent one was one of the few he actually did purposely attend, and it really only was because it appeared to be something that held the potential that could threaten the entire academy, something he wanted to change. Or at least try to.

His eyes squinted, his gaze calm and his face expressionless as usual, even as the angered Blitz proceeded to go way too close and tried to look him in the eye. Seems like his dry sarcasm struck a nerve on accident. Oh well, nothing to be done about that now. He was just about to retort to, once Blitz was done trying to cut him off constantly, before a new presence appeared that unnerved his crows. And now, only now, would Malphas' brow furrow. It was one thing he could handle, being attacked himself, be it verbally, physically, emotionally or whatever else there may be. After all, such was the life of a Risen. But to see his very family back away, even from another bird like them? That was going too far.

His brow quickly went from furrowed to raised as the fiery visitor appeared to believe that Malphas himself was a bird, when this was not quite the case - he had avian features, that was for sure. But his true nature is and forever will be a Risen or, more specifically, a good-natured demon, who's heritage just so happened to be bird-related.

" Not exactly a bird, just a Risen. A Kotengu, specifically. Though, I must admit the relation is there. My flock is only here for me, we're a little-, well, we're rather big family, I suppose. "

Then, his interest was piqued. For one, Black Sage survived which Malphas knew they would. Given how long he knew the sages by now, he had doubted that even one of them would have been stopped by such an injury, though the encounter back there certainly took them all by surprise. But what Black seemed to have mentioned is what got him thinking. A heart in the library.. how curious..

And just when things could not get crowded, a more familiar face appeared - Seraph. It seemed she knew something of a clue about this cryptic message of Black. Some kind of mural in the back of the library.. actually, thinking about it, he did see it occasionally during his visits there. He never bothered to really ask about it, figuring it must've held some kind of importance and that, if the time was right, he'd have been informed about it. Well, seems like that hour has finally struck, hasn't it?

" I'm familiar with it. "

And without so much as another word, Malphas dashed forward, his body twisting and contorting into the form of a large raven and fly on through the halls, bending the wind around himself to carry him at even faster speeds into the library, his flock following him along and forming into what appeared to be a cloud of darkness as they got increasingly distant, their silence only being pierced by the flaps of their wings and the whistling of the winds that carried them through the air. He had to make a quick escape. That whole situation was starting to escalate, and things were becoming way too crowded. Best he get there himself and investigate first before anyone else so that he had some time for himself, even if very temporarily so.

As he formed back into his usual self at the doors to the library, a simple push opened the gates as a flood of darkened feathers poured in like rushing water, quickly perching upon all the different shelves and wall-mounted lanterns. Skipping past the different aisles and rows of books, Malphas did eventually find the very mark he was looking for, his memory still seeming to hold up well enough. Though, just because he found it did not mean he knew what to do now.. well, nothing a little bit of investigation couldn't answer. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Blitz - Jadewall Academy

His dumbfounded expression sharpened into a sneer at the nickname newcomer had used. Little rabbit. This Phoenix had already designated herself as a superior to him, something which irked the already irritated Blitz. Before he could retort to the fire bird Seraph's voice caught his attention. He turned to look at her, his gaze softening as it did and his flared emotions begin to dampen.

The conversation swiftly moved on and Malphas was quick to leave once Seraph explained and offered guidance in whatever was in the library that Phoenix had alluded too. He hadn't really listened, his senses numbing as the world around him faded and became fuzzy. Malphas burst into feathers and corvids, Blitz standing silent as his fire and fury fizzled into dull embers. Blitz felt twelve again, confused and lost he just wanted to shrink and run away.

A light fire crept up legs, his body falling into them as he transformed into a rabbit. The form was a small as he wanted to be and though he hesitated for a moment he took off again, this time trying to get away from everything as opposed to after something. He escape was slow, feeble hops down the hall that could easily be caught up with him. Blitz wouldn't speed up or try evade anyone that went after him, he didn't really know what to do. His conflict had become internal.

Jack Wukong - Jadewall Golden Garden

Orpheus' demeanour and approach amused the crime lord. Well spoken and polite, it reminded him almost of the many underlings in important positions he had who grovelled and spoke with immense caution. The man before him differed to them in his confidence, his calmness despite the turmoil within him. Jack could see how sharp he was, the monkey king remaining silent as the remnant spoke and uncurled a message, Electra's last to them for the meantime.

"The M0 stands for monkey, she sent you here to summon me through me them" Jack turned his head to the nearby troop, the simians lifting their heads as though he had called them before one ran over to climb up Jack's body and perch on his shoulder. "They're my spies throughout this vast city and beyond. It's how I knew of Electra's activities and her demise, how I knew you were coming and how I know where she is" He spoked rather nonchalant, the smirk remaining on his face as he continued to survey the mix bagged before him and reveal information.

Communication was intricate card game to Jack, revealing information was revealing cards but you had to play to win and Jack played well, calculated gambles that typically always paid off. This was definitely one of them. "Desperation" He finally answered Orpheus' first question, calm words slicing smoothly through the tension like it was butter. "Finding herself captured after a premature bout she has run short on options and sent you to me to help free her"

His smirk dropped, the half of his face that could be seen becoming sunken and serious. "But to do that is to face the Sages and their allies on their home ground, no easy feat for either of us" He referred to both parties, turning away to look nowhere in particular. Electra and her group had lost on their own, Jack didn't dare start a confrontation knowing that he'd befall a similar fate despite his resources, power and allies. "As well as that, mine and Electra's goals don't align, to aid her would be helping my competition"

Jack didn't go into the details of how they differed but it could be assumed. Electra sought to reform whilst he was perfectly happy with how things were, change would mean changing systems, re-establishing his syndicate in the new world brought forth by her desires. His gaze returned to the group, sharp eyes fishing for dismay and defeat. A slight treat if he could find it as it would soon disappear. "However ... I stand to gain from the Sage's defeat or at least their setback"

His smile returned with the reassurance he gave, Jack continuing and putting forth the starting of their alliance. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend- acquaintance lets say actually, friend is far to intimate of a word as of yet wouldn't you say?" Electra's actions had been bold, sending her cohorts to him had been a massive risk which could've went badly. He saw opportunity though, another reason why he'd decided to offer his aid. Jack could set a price.

"I do stand to loose quite a lot in this endeavour, what compensation could you offer me?" There was not much that Jack would accept of them. He had plenty of riches and artefacts, he knew their loyalty lay with Electra so that would be meaningless. What he wanted was a favour and he hoped that they would arrived to that conclusion and offer themselves. It wasn't too unfair a trade, a favour for a force capable of challenging the Sage's.

Amid the tension that hung in the air, Jack had seemingly deciphered the cryptic message presented by Electra. 'MO' stood for 'monkey'?

It may have appeared somewhat absurd on the surface, but it felt strangely fitting for Electra to shroud her true intentions behind playful wordplay and enigmatic verbosity.

This revelation had unleashed a surge of relief in Orpheus. It was a tiny yet profound glimmer of hope after an extended period of uncertainty.

The underground crime lord who now stood before them, the enigmatic Jack, was a master of negotiation. He wasted no time in recognizing their dire circumstances and likely perceived that he was their sole lifeline at this point. Orpheus' heart sank as he braced himself for what would come next. He knew what Jack wanted.

Orpheus cleared his throat, concealing his distress. "I...I understand. Please, allow me to discuss briefly with my com- ahem, friends, over here."

The term 'friends' felt odd as it left his lips. It was a word carrying connotations of trust, camaraderie, and shared experiences—qualities he believed were absent among this motley crew. However, the undeniable truth was that Gerrik, S.J, Gray, and himself were in this predicament together, bound by their shared connection to Electra.

No matter how much he rationalized or sought to prove the contrary, his heart knew that each of them had been brought together for a reason. They were intertwined in the intricate threads of destiny, no matter how convoluted it seemed. They were on a journey—a journey that, one way or another, would lead them home.

Offering a polite half-bow to Jack, Orpheus turned to the trio—Gerrik, S.J, and Gray. In hushed tones, he addressed them with equal parts concern and resignation.

"It seems we've gone out of the frying pan and into the fire," he began, sighing heavily. "It's clear he desires nothing material. Money, valuables, I doubt they hold any appeal to him at this level."

His gaze turned distant for a moment, lost in thought.

"He wants us. Our service, our loyalty... so that even if we manage to rescue Electra, we'll be indebted to him. He can call in those favors at his own discretion."

With his friends in the room, he scanned their expressions, not entirely sure how they would react to this unsettling revelation. The weight of this newfound arrangement was heavy, and they stood at a crossroads, the path ahead uncertain and filled with challenges.

Jadewall Academy, Outside the Roost--->Libary

Seraph's brow wrinkled at the "little serpent" comment, not knowing what to make of it. Granted, it was fitting. Her name was synonymous with an angel, a snake, and fire, not necessarily in that order. She was also born in the year of the snake, not that Phoenix knew that. At least, Seraph couldn't recall telling Phoenix that.

Her thoughts fled the instant Malphas flew off toward the library. Before Seraph could ask him what was wrong, Blitz shrank into his rabbit form and scampered off. Seraph stood between both directions with her mouth open. What was all that about?

She suddenly remembered Phoenix was still here and shut her mouth. Hadn't she asked Seraph a question? At any rate, she'd have to come back to that latter. Between the Roost, the mural, and Blitz's sudden tantrum, Seraph decided the mural was the most important.

"I'm a---gonna go check on Malphas," she told Phoenix before walking toward the library.

Seraph could not recall how many times she stared at the library mural. The first time she caught a glimpse of it was by accident. It was during her first week at the academy. Red Sage had been assigned to give her the tour. They walked at a brisk pace. Red Sage barely paused, even when pointing out various facilities. They only allowed Seraph to sit upon reaching the library, for which Seraph was relieved. Red Sage then began prattling on about the required reading she would have to do for each course. Seraph tried to listen--for the first fifteen minutes--until her eyes wandered over to a particular wall. It was covered with a brown tarp. An open can of paint lay on the ground. Seraph's feet began to stir. Her body had seized control, pulling her toward the curtain. Upon reaching for the curtain, her hand was snatched by Red Sage. Her entire body went rigid. She couldn't see the sage's expression, but their body seized up.

"It's not ready yet," the sage had said. To this day, Seraph swore Red Sage's words had been a threat.

Upon reaching the library, Seraph found Malphas restored to his usual form. He stood directly in front of the spot where the "heart" mentioned in Black Sage's message supposedly was.

The mural had 13 animals in total. Each one was painted a different color. Between the silver rabbit and the viridian snake was a coiling black figure, a dragon! It has catfish whiskers and feet resembling those of a crow. Its amethyst eyes appeared to gaze at the serpent below. Seraph hadn't noticed it before, but there seemed to be a loving look in those eyes. They reminded her of how her father looked before Seraph left home for the academy. She suddenly felt homesick. Remembering her mission, Seraph cleared her throat. She approached Malphas with trepidation.

"I um--see you found it."

She traced her fingers along the dragon's chest. A tiny red heart was hidden among the sea of black scales.

"Do you think this was what Black Sage was talking about?"

Facing the janitor, Seraph was unaware that the spot of the painting she was touching had begun to glow.

Lower Jadewall, The Golden Garden

Gerrick crossed his arms and raised one eyebrow.

"I'm not bound to his services."

SJ hissed at the demon.

Gerrick sighed. "But I am bound to yours. If you choose to ally with him, I cannot disobey."

SJ turned to Orpheus. Between the two of them, he didn't like this Jack fellow either. However, he trusted Electra's judgment. If he was an enemy of the sages, then he was an ally of theirs. However, SJ's loyalty only went so far. One stab in the back, and he would gladly savor one of these "monkeys" for breakfast.

DevVoid

As his eyes took in this strange symbol on the wall and all its details, his examination was shortly interrupted by Seraph's presence joining the library. All these different animals in their colors.. surely they had to mean something, right? And that one particular mural had also caught his attention. That dragon, the particular dark shade, those oddly specific talons.. could it be mere coincidence? Some things aligned with his knowledge, and this Risen was unsure of what to do with such information.

" It could only be so. I've seen this mural only in passing, never bothered to try cleaning it since I didn't want to damage it, but- "

His entire train of thought was interrupted when the particular dragon in question began to glow. Strange.. so, it reacted touch. Then, he wondered.

" Hold on, Seraph. You.. if I remember correctly, you are of the Serpent's Mark, right? "

His gaze now landed on the glowing dragon insignia she had her grasp on.

" Would you do me a favor really quick and move your hand to the same serpent emblem below? I have a theory I would like to test.. "

And then, as soon as the student in question would have moved her hand out of his way, Malphas intented to put his own fingers over the blackened, talon-equipped dragon mural. If his logic was sound, and these symbols did more than just react to touch by outputting light, then his grasp should surely invoke a greater reaction.. right?

..Well, only one way to find out, after all.

Jadewall Academy, The Library Mural

Seraph nodded. She could see where Malphas was going with this. Removing her hand, Seraph knelt beside part of the mural with the viridian serpent. Now that her eyes were no longer on the dragon, she noticed the minute details on the serpent's skin. The gold paint outlining its scales also formed tiny Chinese characters. Most were too small for Seraph to read, but one of them looked like the "peace" symbol.

Following Malphas' lead, Seraph pressed her fingers against the snake emblem right as the Risen touched the dragon's heart. The result was the entire mural being engulfed in black light. Only the outlines of the animals were visible, plus two of the gold characters on the serpent's back. The first was the symbol for "truth." The second was "trust".

"What does--?" Before Seraph could finish her question, the mural colors began to swirl.

She tore her hand from the wall. The Brown Rat, the Blue Ox, the Orange Tiger, the Silver Rabbit, the Golden Cat, the Black Dragon, the Viridian Snake, the White Horse, the Ivory Ram, the Yellow Monkey, the Red Rooster, the Green Dog, and the Rose Pig all blurred together until there was nothing but a blank slate. The rainbow of colors disappeared, leaving behind a surface that resembled mercury or a crystal ball.

Seraph squinted at the wall. She dared not touch it again, fearing what else might happen. A figure began to take shape in the space the mural left behind. It began gray and fuzzy, like a shadow. As the figure came into focus, Seraph gasped. A masculine entity smiled at her through the painting. It had a bronze face and a thin Van Dyke beard. Its eyes were a piercing violet, much like the dragon in the previous picture. However, none of these features shocked her as much as the simple black cloak that hung from the figure's shoulders--the same cloak Black Sage wore.

"Hello," the figment said, looking through, but not at, Malphas and Seraph. Its voice was the perfect blend of feminine and masculine. "If you are viewing this, then it is as I feared. The Day of Reckoning is upon us."

The false sage sighed. "I apologize. I had hoped to prevent it, as did the rest of my brethren. However, I fear the steps we took only ensured it would arise. There isn't much time. The other sages do not know about this message. It must be kept that way if we are to have any chance of preventing the return of Chaos."

Seraph's knees gave out. She collapsed on the floor, all the color drained from her face. What the Hell!

"I must ask you something very, very difficult." The figure drew a breath, and Seraph's heart skipped a beat. "Are you prepared to know the whole truth?"

The Day of Reckoning? The Return of Chaos? Seraph's thoughts were spinning a mile a minute. She couldn't say a word.

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
Lower Jadewall, the Golden Garden

Each word from this Jack’s mouth seemed to Gray to be carefully calculated, each alert flick of his eyes an attempt to see past any deception, each syllable twisted to hide truth while still coercing the other party to do as he bid — implicitly or otherwise. Gray didn’t like him; he reminded her of some clients of hers who would try to renegotiate payment, or otherwise trick her out of her earnings.

She had learned quickly to spot manipulation when it was present, but in some cases there was no way to avoid giving in. This, as far as Gray could tell, was one of those cases. When one wants something badly enough, the escape without it becomes less desirable than the inconvenience it comes with. This had been a truth by which Gray made her living, but it was rare she found herself on the other side of it. Quite frankly, they were desperate— Jack had read the situation like a book.

At Orpheus’s words, Gray flexed her claws uneasily. She didn’t particularly enjoy the feeling of being backed into a corner. But the alternative to Jack’s offer was leaving Electra for dead, or trying to find her themselves. Gray found herself highly doubting the abilities of her unlikely band of comrades — friends, Orpheus had called them — to find the missing one of their own. And even if they could, Gray knew her skills, at least, would be woefully inadequate in a fight. Jack, as much as she hated to admit it, was their best option.

These thoughts raced through Gray’s head in all of ten seconds, before she chewed her tongue for a moment, then gave her two cents. “I don’t like this,” the rat girl muttered. “But I don’t see any better alternative. Electra sent us here for a reason, no?”

DevVoid

It appears his suspicions have proven right - at least, somewhat, as these insignias on the mural were not just coincidence, giving way upon making contact and revealing.. some sort of mirror? It was certainly strange for there first be some kind of mystical drawing upon the wall, only to become cloaked and give way to some sort of hardened, crystal-like surface. Was this also magical, perhaps? Might it be some sort of gateway, some sort of messsage maybe?

All of- okay, most of his questions were answered as a being then proceeded to manifest within the bounds of this material, appearing to take on the matching iconic cloak of the same variety as Black Sage wore. How curious. And for it to then start talking about some kind of situation, something that may or may not be arriving soon.. that name.. Chaos. Being a Risen, this name struck Malphas like a bell and immediately gave him an ongrowing sense of dread, which was quickly quelled by the medicine stick in his mouth that he smoked from.

Believing this message to be command-activated, or at least responsive to touch given that it asked them if they were prepared to hear more, Malphas looked down to Seraph and witnessed her condition, getting an idea. Reaching for his pockets once more, his hands procurred another of the same kind of stick as he was using at the moment. With a flick of his wrist, the other end of this secondary medicine was lit aflame as he held it towards Seraph with two fingers, allowing her an opportunity to take it from him.

" Here, for the nerves. Try to inhale and exhale lightly, not eagerly. "

Then, regardless of whether or not the student would take him up on his offer, Malphas would remain where he stood, drawing out smoke from his smoking stick with the left half of his mouth, letting it linger in his body for a spell before then using the right half of his mouth to exhale the surprisingly-pleasant smelling smoke into the air. Sure, he himself was all geared up to listen to whatever this messenger has to talk about, but he was gonna wait until Seraph was ready, too. After all, this was quite the bomb of information thus far and he would not blame her if she needed a moment to recuperate.

Orpheus nodded slowly, his gaze shifting from one ally to another as he absorbed their reactions in a prolonged, pregnant pause.

A facade of strength barely concealed the realization that Gerrik was the one in the direst situation - once tethered to Electra's service, now left in the hands of himself and the adjacent teenager. Her urgent plea echoed hauntingly in his mind.

"GERRIK!" Her voice still reverberated. "I ORDER YOU TO STAND DOWN AND GET ORPHEUS AND GRAY TO SAFETY! OBEY THEIR ORDERS AS IF THEY WERE MY OWN!"

Recollections of their adversaries, the Sages, flashed through Orpheus' mind. Among them, the Ox-like figure and the one adorned with crows seemed initially humane. But the fate that befell the one shrouded in darkness hinted at unspeakable horrors awaiting Electra. He dared not dwell on the potential terrors she might endure.

S.J., despite his silence, conveyed allegiance solely to Electra through subtle gestures. Orpheus discerned the serpent's intention - collaboration to eliminate a mutual enemy, nothing beyond that.

Then, Gray spoke, breaking her silence since their arrival. Orpheus had observed her silent vigilance, her tense posture and appraising glances. It was evident this situation unsettled them all, yet the girl's words emphasized their lack of alternatives.

With a resigned sigh, Orpheus nodded firmly. His course was set, tethered to Electra's judgement, propelling him forward through this maddening journey.

"Thank you," he addressed Jack courteously, pivoting to face him and his imposing bodyguard. "We're aware of the risks you take in aiding us, compromising what you've worked..." He halted, collecting himself. "So diligently to achieve. In return for Electra's safe rescue from our mutual adversary, we will be indebted to you, offering our services."

A momentary pause preceded his final stipulation.

"...However, please understand that our allegiance hinges solely on her safety. If, by some unfortunate turn, our plan fails, or if any impediment halts her liberation, our usefulness may wane."

Closing his eyes, Orpheus braced for the reactions, caring little for his own fate but refusing to embroil the others in a precarious pact when the outcome for Electra was uncertain.

"I trust these terms are acceptable," he concluded, his voice steady amidst the tumultuous uncertainty.

Jadewall Academy, Library Mural

Seraph glanced up at Malphas from her spot on the floor. He drew the medicine stick to his lips, inhaled, and then expelled a small puff of smoke. Seraph turned her stick over in her fingers. She didn't have the heart to tell Malphas she was underage.

She ran the smoking stick under her nose briefly before standing. It had a surprisingly sweet scent, like fry oil mixed with cotton candy. Seraph sighed.

"Thank you for the gesture," she told Malphas, "but I think I'm okay. It just startled me."

She turned to the once-mural, now-enchanted portrait of Black Sage.

"I'm ready to hear what it says if you are."

There was a sound like bells chiming somewhere in the distance. Evidently, the enchanted painting took Seraph's comment as an acknowledgment because the scene changed yet again. This time, the image of Black Sage was replaced with a rustic interpretation of a battlefield. Seraph whispered a quick I'm sorry to Malphas as the mural spoke.

"You know, by now, the story of our triumph over Chaos. In reality, it was the act of thousands of men, women, Risen, and immortals. The battle was long fought. Countless sacrifices had to be made for the dark force to be stopped."

Seraph briefly wondered how the painting could have used the words countless sacrifices after just saying that there were thousands. She decided to keep her mouth shut.

"My son, Shé, was killed. As was Green's wife, Orange."

The battlefield melted into a portrait of thirteen individuals. A younger version of Black Sage stood off to the side. His hand rested on the shoulder of a boyish figure, presumably a teenager. Like the sage, the boy had dark hair. However, Seraph noticed the teenager's skin tone was distinctly different from Black Sage's. Maybe he was adopted?

She scanned the remaining figures, trying to discern clues to their identities. The character standing on Black Sage's right wore solid white and appeared stiff like a marble statue. Judging by his face he was male, but he had long eyelashes and one pearl earring. A man in the back row wore red and had a nose like a rooster's beak. On his left was a woman in yellow. Surprising. Seraph hadn't suspected Yellow Sage of being female. In the front row, a baby-faced gentleman in green stood arm and arm with a vibrantly dressed lady wearing a tiger's eye quartz necklace and pussy cat earrings.

"Malphas," Seraph ventured warily. "Are--are the sages the original Wild Marked?"

Phoenix
Not really surprised by everyone's reactions, Phoenix shrugged her shoulders before turning back to Sooeun, who seemed to have to froze in place with no idea what was going on. "Shall we find out what your are elders are doing? Or perhaps you'd rather go after your friends."
@IDKWhatUserNameToDo

Luna
Luna growled as she continued searching for Blitz, her canine teeth extending into six inch saber teeth as her mouth and nose merged and extended into her feline muzzle. Having become a somewhat smaller white tiger than before, Luna quietly padded down the halls as she continued searching, scanning the hallway and twitching her ears now and again. That is, until she heard the click-clacking of tiny claws against the floor. Turning just in time to see Blitz blindly running down the hall and straight towards her. While this behavior was unusual, Luna subconsciously smiled as she swatted the Rabbit aside before pouncing on him. Her right paw holding him down, Luna moved her face next to his and whispered. "What's the hurry Blitz?"
@Martin Pine

Sylph
"He is not here either." Sylph continued looking around the grounds, her wooden body currently not shaped like a human but a large canine. While it was true that her Zodiac manifested as a spirit like Sooeun's, Sylph was able to freely manipulate the shape of her own body as she was not only made of Wood, but that was the element she controlled. As she searched however, she felt something strange inside the building. Despite wanting to find Blitz, Sylph felt the need to investigate the source as she reentered the building and dashed towards the library, where she found Malphas and Seraph looking at what appeared to be the Sages. Tilting her head to the side in curiosity, Sylph, still in her canine form, spoke up. "What are you doing?"
@Charlotte Pryce @DevVoid

Last edited:

DevVoid

It seems like the medicinal stick was not to Seraph's liking.. oh well. It really was more of a medicine for Risen anyway, now that Malphas thought more about it. Probably because it was one of the tradecraft secrets of the clan he's from, among all the other big and small secrets they held. Though, as he raised the stick back to head, held between his left middle and ring finger, the image before them shifted once more as the student gave the sign, and so the story started.

Though his eyes remained glued to the molding magic ahead of the two, he could overhear the whispered apology of Seraph's. All was well however, this little stick really did help out quite a bit with this whole turbulence of informational floods coming and going from his mind. He was well aware of the War on Chaos, as well as the entity itself - after all, he himself was practically a demon on all counts.. except morality-wise, of course. After all, that's what all Risen were - the well-behaved counterpart of the many lackeys of Chaos.

The mentioning of the Orange Sage, all the different sages, exposed from the covers of their well-disguised cloaks and robes, oh how nostalgic the sight was. Though he himself could not re-call how long he had been spending his time at the academy now - such matters he'd have to find his personal file on to re-memorize - he could certainly tell that whatever amount it was, it had been long enough. And then, Seraph sprung the one question that he himself had been wondering for some time now, right as when another student had come walking in.

The Kotengu nodded as a greeting towards Sylph, taking another puff of his medicine stick, though he simply just inhaled the smoke directly, not bothering to exhale it due to his control over fire simply allowing him to stockpile the smoke in his body until it faded on its own.

" Well, to make a long story short, it appears that.. Chaos is returning. But please, if you are willing to stay, I believe this magical mural is not quite done with its message yet. "

His gaze now landed on Seraph. It was a question he himself had been wondering for some time now, but never really had felt a need to ask.. not until now, that is.

" I'm not quite sure, but it appears the evidence may be directly in front of us. Let us continue listening. If this message is to be true, it is important to note down each and every detail it provides us. "

Blitz - Jadewall Academy

Rabbit's were hard wired to be vigilant. Extremely sensitive hearing was paired with a sharp sense of smell, wide eyes constantly surveying their surroundings driven by a nervous disposition. Whilst he'd taken the shape of a one, Blitz wasn't a rabbit and in his dismayed state he was distracted and hardly noticed the white tiger until he'd been swatted to the side. The physical force did bring up back to reality, just in time to feel the weight pressing down on his back.

Strong legs kicked against the floor to no avail, flailing and squirming as fire flickered from his being. He returned to his human form but it didn't little to lift Luna off him, he was still pressed stomach first against the floor. An irked expression grew redder as he struggled under the weight, attempting to twist his head to look at Luna. "Get. Off" The usual snarky and playful nature in his voice was absent another struggle resulting in a few grunts. "Not in the mood in Luna"

Jack Wukong

"Of course, take your time" A steady gaze watched Orpheus retreat back to his allies, Jack surveying their communications for a moment before his head tilted ever so slightly towards Rakurai. The shift allowed him to glance at her, which he did for just a moment. "Was I too harsh? I don't want them too spooked" His concern was not out of consideration for them but a worry for loosing what he had to gain.

He'd taken care to appear menacing and strong, to play a confident hand and mask weakness- quite literally. Beneath the gold on half his face the demonic disease had started to burn, a mild irritancy but he knew it'd grow. Before him stood the last chance of combatting his affliction and he was desperate. Despite this he didn't rush, he couldn't rush. This would play out how he wished, it already was. A few more strings to be pulled and his salvation would be at hand.

The spokesman returned, as formal as before even if he had to collect himself for a moment. His wording spurred a smirk, the 'diligent work' had been trickery, manipulation and violence but it was humorous to have it referred too so respectfully. "Understandable" Jack's initial words held no tone or conclusive decision, letting the seconds of silence slowly build pressure.

"Though I may need such aid before to ensure the plan prevails. I'm sure you understand, it's a standard business practice. A percentage of the payment up front and the rest when the task is complete" Jack extended a hand, to seal the deal after his own final stipulation. The cherry on top was added afterwards to ensure a bite. "Two days. I can have a battle plan prepared and ready to launch in two days"

Jadewall Academy

Luna huffed as she took some of her weight off of Blitz, still keeping him trapped under her right paw whilst giving him some wiggle room. "Not in the mood? You think I'm playing with you?" Luna snarled before continuing. "You do realize that all of us are searching for you right now, don't you?"
Luna growled, taking her paw off of Blitz and sitting down next to him. "Now tell me what's going on with you Blitz. I know you weren't trying to get out of class for no good reason. Spill it!"
@Martin Pine

It seemed mercy wasn't a coin in the criminal mastermind's currency, especially when the scales were already tipped in his favor.

As Jack's final condition hung in the air, Orpheus felt an involuntary tensing in his muscles.

A down payment? What form would that take? And the span of two days? The display of power from earlier hinted at the impregnability of Sages' hideout, wherever that may be, making the prospect of breaching it even more foreboding.

Would Electra endure for that duration? Hope flickered briefly before being smothered by a surge of apprehension.

A fleeting glance exchanged among his companions signaled a shared unease before Orpheus focused on Jack once more. His hand extended, a tacit acceptance marking the conclusion of their negotiations.

"Very well," he relented, clasping the boss' hand within his gloved grip. "We accept your terms. Two days."

The repetition of the timeframe was deliberate—a subtle caution that their allegiance revolved solely around rescuing Electra.

Yet, for the next 48 hours, they were at Jack's beck and call. Orpheus could only hope they'd emerge intact from this pact.

In a world where one had access to an arsenal of resources, breaking a few seemed inconsequential—a thought that lingered as a chilling afterthought in the vagabond's mind.

Jadewall Academy, Library Mural

Seraph's first thought upon seeing Sylph enter the library was OMG! A talking dog! Her brain eventually registered that it was only her classmate in her canine form, but she was still startled.

"Should we go find the others?" Seraph ventured cautiously, aware that the mural behind them was still speaking. She didn't want to miss Black Sage's message. On the other hand, she didn't know how to break the news to the rest of her peers. Plus, she didn't want to get caught. Black Sage had hidden this message from the other sages for a reason. She, Malphas, and Sylph could be in big trouble if they found out.

You mustn't---keep---them---

Seraph snapped out of her pondering. "What did it say?"

The question proved needless as the painting of Black Sage answered her.

"After Chaos was defeated, fragments of our power and its were scattered throughout Jadewall. Beings born with these fragments became either Wild Marked or Remnants. Remnants are born from Chaos. The Wild Marked are born of our fallen comrades.

'When this school first began, we aimed to seek out both groups. We would teach them---nurture them--in hopes of preventing another war. However, we now know that such a feat is impossible.

'When Remnants gather in one place, disaster strikes. If enough of them gather together, Chaos could be reawakened. However, killing the Remnants outright could have the same result. Whatever you do, you mustn't let the other sages bring the Remnants here. This school was almost destroyed once. If it is attacked again, it may not survive.

'Keep your friends close. Get everyone to safety if you can! If you can't, pray that your strength will be enough. A battle is coming. Just make sure you choose the right side."

The mural fell silent.