• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Why Battles still make no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't Moves be split into Land and Air attacks? let me explain.

Mamoswine VS Zapdos

Mamoswine
-EQ
-Mud Bomb
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Zapdos
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Substitute
-Roost

Yes, I know that Mamoswine set is just not used but trust me.

If Mamoswine's Ice Beam runs out of PP from Zapdos's Sub+Roost+Pressure stall, Mamoswine has no choices left. If moves are split into Air and Land categories though, the battle will end differently.
Mud Bomb is realistically a ground move, but the fact that it doesn't affect flying types when it's not attacking from the ground makes no sense. Basically, if a Pokemon can hover, a ball of mud wont hit it no matter how high the accuracy is. I don't like it, moves like Mud Bomb, Slap and Shot should be in the Air Ground Move category so it hits Levitaters and flying types. It would make the game much more realistic and strategic.
Not that I can complain about realism anyway with Pokemon. A game where an over-sized whale fits in a tennis ball is in no way realistic, but we can try can't we?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'm sure any Pokemon that's part flying or has Levitate could easily move the heck out of the way of an attack like Mud Bomb, and an attack like Mud Slap realistically wouldn't have much range and wouldn't rise far off of the ground. (Unless the mud is thrown by hand, but a handful of mud isn't really going to bring Zapdos down, or any respectable bird for that matter.)

Pokemon battling is more flexible and closer to "reality" in the anime/manga than the games. The games can only do so much until they become too complicated. Despite the fact the the majority of the users here are in their teens or beyond, Pokemon is mainly marketed at the younger crowd. 8-12 year olds. The inclusion of nonsense like "Air Ground move" just overcomplicates and confuses the very good battling system Pokemon has already. The rock-paper-scissors-system works, and adding sub-types to the main types would be ridiculous. It'd be like adding tissue paper and cardboard to paper in rock paper scissors xP

There's a lot of Pokemon battling that doesn't make sense. Like why Bug is good versus Psychics, or why Psychic can't hit Darks, or why Fighting types beat Dark, ect. You could go on and on. You're asking for some realism in a world where that yellow mouse scavenging for food in the grass over there could kill you from afar using a bolt of lightning from the heavens if it felt like it.

Do you see that? Over there! OH MY GODS O_O Realism just flung itself out the window!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
You want realism? In a game where the world is inhabited with biologically impossible and entirely fictional creatures? And the main trait is friendship, not making money or even eating?

Well I want to live in Magical Rainbow Marshmallow Fairy Land.

inb4 next non-realistic statement.

I just want Anime realism tbh. Certain moves depending on what they do hitting certain Pokemon.

And also,
Not that I can complain about realism anyway with Pokemon. A game where an over-sized whale fits in a tennis ball is in no way realistic, but we can try can't we?
I got there first XP

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Yeah, you did, congratulations. But that's exactly the point. I would wonder less about how a giant whale can be converted into red energy and stored in a ball and wonder more about how said whale has the ability to summon a blizzard or bounce up into the air, or open up a fissure in the ground.

The point is, in a world that is obviously nothing like ours in relation to the variety of organisms that inhabit it, how are we to establish what is realistic in that world? We can't.

Sem said:
Yeah, you did, congratulations. But that's exactly the point. I would wonder less about how a giant whale can be converted into red energy and stored in a ball and wonder more about how said whale has the ability to summon a blizzard or bounce up into the air, or open up a fissure in the ground.

The point is, in a world that is obviously nothing like ours in relation to the variety of organisms that inhabit it, how are we to establish what is realistic in that world? We can't.
How about animals living in natural areas? and.... transition from bug > Cocoon > Whatever.... and.... you're right

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Some of the typings will have been done as a means of balancing the game as opposed to making it realistic. Psychic being weak to Dark, Dark being immune to Psychic and Steel resisting Psychic will likely have been done as a means of balancing the once-overpowered Psychic-type that dominated Generation I. Even if the realism is questionable, the game at least functions to a very high standard.

Also, I do have to agree with Sem - try throwing a handful of mud at an imaginary, air-borne target and see how far it goes - odds are, it won't fly as far as, say, a rock or something solid, which would make it pretty easy to evade if you had any means of flying.

That said, there have been some things in the games that defied realism and gameplay sense at once - in particular, the G/S/C/HG/SS Victory Road bothered me - it makes little sense for it to be completely empty of people realistically since there's a ton of trainers making their way to the league, and it'd be highly unlikely that you'd meet no-one besides your rival in the cave when you've encountered tons outside it claiming they're challenging the league themselves. From a gameplay standpoint though, it makes the Victory Road cave very boring to navigate for me, and just from appearance alone the zone feels incomplete, as if someone actually forgot to put trainers in there.

Gerudo Ganon said:
Some of the typings will have been done as a means of balancing the game as opposed to making it realistic. Psychic being weak to Dark, Dark being immune to Psychic and Steel resisting Psychic will likely have been done as a means of balancing the once-overpowered Psychic-type that dominated Generation I. Even if the realism is questionable, the game at least functions to a very high standard.

Also, I do have to agree with Sem - try throwing a handful of mud at an imaginary, air-borne target and see how far it goes - odds are, it won't fly as far as, say, a rock or something solid, which would make it pretty easy to evade if you had any means of flying.

That said, there have been some things in the games that defied realism and gameplay sense at once - in particular, the G/S/C/HG/SS Victory Road bothered me - it makes little sense for it to be completely empty of people realistically since there's a ton of trainers making their way to the league, and it'd be highly unlikely that you'd meet no-one besides your rival in the cave when you've encountered tons outside it claiming they're challenging the league themselves. From a gameplay standpoint though, it makes the Victory Road cave very boring to navigate for me, and just from appearance alone the zone feels incomplete, as if someone actually forgot to put trainers in there.
Yeah I found that weird too.

And about a ball of mud not flying very far, at least Mud Shot should affect flying type.Any reason it shouldn't is a perfect reason Water Gun shouldn't. Seriously, Water Gun is, in effect, a water type Mud Shot. Firing something at a distance. Again, needing Air/Land splitting. I'd consider it if I were making the games. I'd also very quickly reveal the full potential of Zorua/Zoroark's ability since I have yet to see its purpose. When they Transform do they copy moves? is it like Sketch where you copy one move? if it doesn't copy any moves, Illusion is officially more useless than Splash.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Water Gun is different from a glob of mud though. Water Gun would be much harder to avoid because it's a high pressure jet, not a loogie.

Sem said:
Water Gun is different from a glob of mud though. Water Gun would be much harder to avoid because it's a high pressure jet, not a loggie.
No, Mud SHOT not Mud BOMB. They're different

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Even then, you wouldn't be able to get as great a result from shooting pressurized mud as you would from shooting pressurized water since mud's a lot more viscous than water is, and also contains solid particles. Either way, water fired under pressure would be able to get greater range and effectiveness than mud would due to the physical properties of both substances.

Gerudo Ganon said:
Even then, you wouldn't be able to get as great a result from shooting pressurized mud as you would from shooting pressurized water since mud's a lot more viscous than water is, and also contains solid particles. Either way, water fired under pressure would be able to get greater range and effectiveness than mud would due to the physical properties of both substances.
Oh you're too smart for your own good XD

It's an interesting idea, and it wouldn't be too complicated in ground was subdivided into two types.

But it just isn't needed.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
skaraflame said:
Gerudo Ganon said:
Oh you're too smart for your own good XD

That's not even being smart, that's having basic knowledge of common substances like water and mud.

This thread basically has no point any more - realism in battles isn't something that's ever going to happen and that's a fact which I am placing on the table for everyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.