• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who Is Ash's most powerful Rival?

That, has got to be, the easiest question ever to be asked.
You know he's beaten all his rivals except one right?
Even at the end of his journey before Sinnoh Saga he still cant beat him.

Gary Oak is the strongest Rival, and like the strongest person you'll meet in the series O_o Because even with a Level Million Pikachu, he still manages to lose.

Gary is totally the strongest!
And he's also really Sexy but thats a whole different story

Hands down Gary Oak. He may have annoyed the crap out of me sometimes but there is no denying his stength. The Charizard vs. Blastoise battle was a classic. I'm watching out for Paul though...

Gary Oak by far. Gary has always been a step ahead of Ash and always will be. He's his all time rival, No matter where Ash has been Gary has been there and done that first. All though Ash is the better trainer.

Of course it's Gary Oak. He's alway's one-up'ed Ash, even with his godmodder Pikachu. Also, Ash has never managed to defeat him yet. (Or at least, I think he hasn't.)

Or did you completely forget?

Of course it's Gary Oak. He's alway's one-up'ed Ash, even with his godmodder Pikachu. Also, Ash has never managed to defeat him yet. (Or at least, I think he hasn't.)

Or did you completely forget?

Ash beat Gary twice. In a Pokemon Race and the Silver Conference.

And we can't forget about Tyson. Not only did he beat Ash once, but with a Pokemon that Ash's Pikachu would normally send flying into the horizon.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
All victories in the anime are done by the power of contrived plot devices.

But I'll have to say Gary. He's been somewhat of a recurring character rather than a tournament one-shot. Ash may have defeated him once or twice, but Gary still managed to pwn him more than once.

Personally I think they're both horrendously irritating brats, but Gary, at least, manages to evolve his character into something a bit more bad-ass. Unfortunately, he now has an Electivire, which makes me like him a WHOLE damn lot less than I already don't. But at least he's a researcher now.

So he can pwn Ash without it having any influence on anything. :p

I'm curious about the purple-haired jackass, though. He might develop some actual strength once someone wipes the floor with him...

Gary,always Gary,Gary pwned Ash several times,he's smarter, better at catching...etc,and yeah,that pikachu is godmodder,it even attacks ground types with thunder shock/bolt (like pwning a rhydon with thunder just cuz it clinged into Rhydon's drill -.-,and looks like in the Dialga/Palkia/Darkrai movie,Pikachu will fight a Torterra,is Ash crazy?)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I wouldn't say that Gary's necessarily smarter or more powerful. Catching a million different PokéMon doesn't necessarily make you a better trainer. Just a collector.

Ash has the power of contrived plot devices and Deus Ex Machina at his side. And he IS crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's not forget he has Satan's...I mean 4Kids protection from guns and other things 4Kids banned,like the Kid's day episode,or the Princess Day episode,I saw them otherwise,the princess day episode is sorta important
(although it is weird that Ash never grows up,how old is he, like 17,18?)

Hands down Gary Oak. He may have annoyed the crap out of me sometimes but there is no denying his stength. The Charizard vs. Blastoise battle was a classic. I'm watching out for Paul though...
Yeah, paul looks like a strong trainer and I can't imagine when he gets most of his pokemon evolved and trained( without releasing them) but otherwise for now gary's probably the strongest.

Yeah, paul looks like a strong trainer and I can't imagine when he gets most of his pokemon evolved and trained( without releasing them) but otherwise for now gary's probably the strongest.

Paul (from the first few episodes) seems like he'd be like the old games gary (cept not as cool for some reason).He tries to get the best but he doesnt care about his pokemon at all,which leads to a long agonizing speech from some professor about taking care of ure pokemon being more important than training! (even tho theres a chance that u probably did the same thing he did >.> )

ah....love classics

Paul (from the first few episodes) seems like he'd be like the old games gary (cept not as cool for some reason).He tries to get the best but he doesnt care about his pokemon at all,which leads to a long agonizing speech from some professor about taking care of ure pokemon being more important than training! (even tho theres a chance that u probably did the same thing he did >.> )

ah....love classics
I still don't remember who Paul is. (I don't remember names, I remember what episode they're from)

You did the same thing he did and, chances are, that you probably beat the game (and him) doing it, too.

I'd really have to say Gary, but that new guy in Sinnoh was pretty damn tough.Tyson, is he?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Paul is the purple-haired bastard that's like a carbon copy of Silver from the good ol' GSC generation. Which means he might get decent once he gets his ass handed to him in two seconds by some elite-four-er. >>

Bagh, I HATE that GSC guy. He's such a jerk. The funny thing is, he keeps calling you weak no matter how many times you whip his ass. Especially with my uber-team of Typhlosion, Meganium, Feraligatr, Ampharos, Pidgeot, and soon-to-be Espeon. I never consider stats, I just use type advantages like crazy. That's all I've ever done, and I still always win at least once. (I'm thinking of replacing Pidgeot with skarmory, since Skarmory is more resilient to physical attacks.mostly.Just having a hard time catching one.) (Okay, that was off-topic.)

Anyway, thanks for telling me.I really wish he would have lost instead of it being a tie on the episode I saw, though. And didn't teh guy from GSC have red hair? So he's not exactly a carbon copy. Though he could have dyed it...(Okay.. how do I keep straying off topic? I guess I just like ranting for some reason.)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm actually a bit torn on this. When it comes to best rival, most important rival, or even the one with the most personality, it'd be Gary hands-down. Power-wise, though? Tyson really was an awesome battler, plus he went on to win the entire league. If Gary took on Tyson, it's hard to say who'd win.

Paul is definitely set to be a serious contender as well. He might be the Sinnoh Gary-replacement rival, but that only means he'll probably match or surpass Gary's power... or so I hope. I want the final battle between Ash and Paul to mean something like Ash and Gary's Johto match ^^

I don't actually remember who Tyson is(Is he the one with the coyboy Meowth?), so I'd have to say Gary.
He completely OWNED Ash in every battle until one day, when the Godmoding Pikachu showed Gary up... If that stupid Pikachu wasn't a g-moder, Gary might've had a chance.
I personally HATE Paul(Because of the way he treats his Pokés), but I'm happy about him owning that dumb, godmoding 'Chu so many times. How many times is Ash gunna battle him before he realizes he's unbeatable? Shouldn't take that long, as Ash has gotten a bit smarter in the last few seasons. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary for sure. At least he evovles his pokemon unlike Ass (Oh sorry,ASH)

OOOH that was a cheap shot at Ash; you know he's the chosen one, right? Anyways, yes I agree - it's Gary. He's beaten Ash plenty of times, plus he's the only one who could really, really tick Ash off. Paul is a good second choice, but he doesn't quite match up to G - that, and Paul's an asshole.

I kinda have the same opinion as everyone else.
Gary Oak.
But Paul seems pretty strong, seeing as he pwns Ash every time. And he pwned Raork, while Ash lost the first time.

Perhaps Paul is his biggest rival, but Gary was also pretty strong. Its a bit odd how Gary hasn't appeared yet, though. But, yes, Paul is probably his largest and more powerful rival.