• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Which character do you play as in Super Smash Bros Melee

Which Character do you preferr to 'duke' it out as?

• Mario

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Doctor Mario

• Luigi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bowser

• Peach

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Yoshi

• DK

• Captain Falcon

• Ganondorf

• Falco

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Fox

• Ness

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Sheik

• Samus

• Young Link

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Link

• Ice Climbers

• Pikachu

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Pichu

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Jigglypuff

• Mewtwo

• Mr. Game and Watch

• Marth

• Roy

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
[size=8pt]Pikachu all the way.
When used properly, not even DK or Ganon holds a candle to him/her ;3
My brothers get frustrated when they looooosssseeeee.[/size]

Ahhh cool, one of my friends plays as the slightly junior pikachu, pichu.
He's great at super sudden death, because he's nimble, but on stamina he isn't so great as his attakcs sap his health! Hahaha!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm, I can't really give a straight answer for this. I generally rotated between 3 characters - Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu - and also played Bowser quite a bit for less serious matches. At first when I originally bought SSBM, and when I played the original SSB, Pikachu was always my most-played character. Slowly I started using Mario and Yoshi more and more, though, and now I use all three fairly equally depending on who I'm battling against and my mood at the time.

For the sake of picking just ONE answer, I voted Mario, but that's not really accurate.

Yeah I'm kinda like you, at the heart Im a Falco fanboy all the way, but my peach exploding hip is nasty and i can swallow something rotten, when i play as Yoshi.
Hot damn this poll is red hot...
:-\

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I think I remember one of these... or maybe it was just in the chat... ah well. Like Linkachu, I usually rotate between... quite a few characters. Peach, Marth, Ice Climbers, Zelda (Not Sheik mind you ;P) and sometimes Mr. Game and Watch and Pichu. When I first got the game (dangit...) I played Kirby obsessively, eventually got tired and then played as Young Link, and now I'm at my current stage where I pick whomever based on my mood, who I'm against, ect. For the sake of the poll however, I went Peach, since she's my main main, she rocks.

Let me see, hmmm the one that suits my personality is....Mr I'm the Best Falco. I'll use Fox, Pikachu, Mario, Link, Marth, and Falcon too, but when it comes down, Falco rules all. And I'll annoy people to death as I pick them off with Falco. And they know my moves too well, so I'll just rotate every so often to really screw them up. And I usually never lose either...maybe I'm just too good (Am I starting to Sound like Falco)?

Right to the point, Falco rules everyone and no arguements about it right? *Brings Falco's Arwing in*

I like Link or Young Link, for their endless supply of bombs and Hurricane Spin attack. I went with Young Link in the poll since he's short enough to hit enemies that Link's sword just sails over the heads of. I also like swallowing people as Kirby and going all Grabby-Go-Boom as Gannondorf. Marth or Roy are good when I feel like spamming that charged-up sword attack.

yeah, when my friend first introduced me to the games, I was a Kirby whore. But I changed around, when i'm on Giant melee i play as Yoshi as his 'b' move just throws them off ( be near an edge (Y) ).
Has anyone else got some quirky tips, hints?

Well, for some reason, I can't not get 14 kills with pikachu so he would be my best. Next would be Captain Falcon (My friend uses him every time and I mean EVERY time) and then comes Roy. The boy toy.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Gah! I can't choose one! I usually use Pichu, Pikachu, Kirby, Zelda, or Falco when I play. Zelda and Falco are good in the sense that they can reflet other people's attacks with B for Zelda or down B with Falco (and Fox seems too fast for my liking, as in seems), and Kirby can suck things up and get his opponent's B special power, how great is that!? And Pichu, though it can kill itself, is really good if you know how to use it (smaller=you can just crouch down and not get hurt, unlike Pikachu), and its side B move is better than Pika's when I played it. But Pika's good because, unlike Pichu, it doesn't hurt itself when it uses a special move.

And I occasionally, as in rarely-ocassionally, use Mewtwo, for the sake of annoying others who think Mewtwo is really cheap.

For now, I think I'm going to vote Pichu, because I think I generally use it more than the other players.

It's great seeing everyone else's view of this game!
Has anything funny ever happened to you on it, I love it when the bombs fall on super sudden death when it's timed. It really gets me laughing seeing everyone try and dodge them!
:]

during my time playing the game, I usually start with Fox, for speed (and he kills in stamina mode) then I swap over to Zelda, using Shiek as a smash attacker, then I tend to either use Cap. Falcon/DK (DK when I feel kamekazi) or go straight to Falco (my main source of wins)

Young link for me. I don't have SSBM, I play it at my friend's house. He usually goes for Link, while I go for Young Link. We make a great team, but I find it very difficult to remember all the buttons...

Oh dear...What is SSBB gonna be like for me?

My friend plays as Doctor mario alot, and one guy plays as Mario just because he likes his brown suit (go figure).
Me and a couple of friends where gonna try and do the black hole glitch. But it needs four, we're gonna try next week though. Has anyone ever done that?
Heres a video for it, for those who haven't seen it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKmLMM1yg0&feature=related

Me and a couple of friends where gonna try and do the black hole glitch. But it needs four, we're gonna try next week though. Has anyone ever done that?
Heres a video for it, for those who haven't seen it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKmLMM1yg0&feature=related
I did it once, it's pretty cool ^.^ But we didit with three players. You'' just have to use B-Down on two controllers with one person (the Foxes/Falco's) and then the two others do the rest.

Currently, my best character is Ness. I'm real good at giving my opponents a good beat and setting them up to take the full blow of PK Flash as well- especial Pikachu when it tries to recover with Quick Attack. The poor thing will land right at the spot where the explosion is at it's worst. (And I'm real releaved to hear Ness has been confirmed to return on the SSBB site today!)

As for my follow-up characters I play with, they are Kirby, Roy, Link, Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Marth, Pichu, and so on and so forth.

If Jigglypuff is used right, she actually rapes all the other characters easily. My friend has won at so many tourneys with just Jigglypuff.

Did you know if you rest on someone's head, its an instant KO half the time?

Might wanna experiment with her now. lol

Personally I use Roy or Marth a decent amount. Actually I'm amazing with Mewtwo. My friends have told me I should perfect my skills with him and then Tourney because they've never seen anyone as good with him. =D

Edit: Oh crap! I forgot about Captain Falcon. I've scared people with my Falcon Punch timings before. XD

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I'm a Marth user... I have pretty heated battles with a friend of mine who uses Roy alot. Next to Marth would be Link, Pikachu/Pichu and Ganon...

I like Marth for his speed, and the power of his attacks. I have really good accuracy so I'm decent about hitting with the tip of the blade.
Ganon usually gives me a bit of trouble when I'm Marth, so I tend to play as Roy when I fight him... I'll counter you to oblivion.

so funny to piss people off with Pichu...
It's so underrated for it's ability. No one seems to think it can do anything.

I'm a Marth user... I have pretty heated battles with a friend of mine who uses Roy alot. Next to Marth would be Link, Pikachu/Pichu and Ganon...

I like Marth for his speed, and the power of his attacks. I have really good accuracy so I'm decent about hitting with the tip of the blade.
Ganon usually gives me a bit of trouble when I'm Marth, so I tend to play as Roy when I fight him... I'll counter you to oblivion.

so funny to piss people off with Pichu...
It's so underrated for it's ability. No one seems to think it can do anything.

yeah but i've seen Pichu fight well before. =D
all the characters are amazing if used properly

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
yeah but i've seen Pichu fight well before. =D
all the characters are amazing if used properly

I have yet to see someone make proper use of Mr. Game & Watch... outside of team battles...

if you ever want something fun to try, get a Mr. Game and watch to absorb three full charge PK Pulse from ness... witness the power for your self...

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
My off-topic review of this video:
LUCKY! getting a 9 right off the bat!
He's the best Mr. Game and watch player I've seen to date...
but he did get lucky a lot in that video...
We could probably have a good battle...

I'm probably going to leave this thread now... for the sake of my health...

It's kind of cheap but I use Roy! I like Marth too but in my opinion Roy is a little faster. Speaking of which I haven't played that game in a while... *dusts of n64*

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
[back... can't... resist... urge]
Um... ok... so you think Roy is faster than Marth?
I'd disagree, but I didn't think Pichu was that fast until I started really playing as him/her.

But what is this dusty N64 that you speak of? Melee was on the Gamecube.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I know that... but he/she mentions playing as Roy... then mentions not playing in a while... then Dusts off the N64...

Roy wasn't on the N64 version... that was the point I was trying to make.

Hmm...I like playing as Roy and Pikachu mostly. (Voted for Roy though.) Usually, my brother makes us do random a lot. I think I'd be pretty good with Ness if I could control PK Thunder properly... Mr. Game&Watch is pretty powerful with his side smash. Fox and Jiggly are fun too.
The way I play is using moves over and over again, it's my brother's pet peeve. :D But my brother is crazy good so...it sucks.
One time we had a 2.0 battle with 99 lives with two friends. It was pretty epic. Try it some time!​

I've done a 99 stock battle, but only ever in super sudden death. I dont think I could handle it in normal melee! Yikes, it would take forever!

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I once did a 99-Stock match on 0.5 Damage with Handicap maxed, and all items off except for pokeballs (items were also maxed).
I think the characters were Marth, Ganon, Pichu, and... no clue, it's been too long.
Needless to say that was a fun battle, Ganondorf and his now even more immense weight won.

On those damage settings, Wobbufet becomes the black hole of "HAHA! You can't go anywhere!"

Items? Meh, I haven't played with items on in 'bout a year...

But on topic...I'm a pro Falco user...I'm trying to get the Fox killer combo (Shine>WD>Dair>Repeat) down...it's SO tough...

I actually never had a gamecube... i only got to play Melee at friends houses... and i was going to buy it to play on my Wii but I figure with Brawl coming out and me having so many games i'm trying to beat at once... i might as well not bother.

If we're going back to N64, i'd have to say my best character was Cap'n Falcon. =D

But in Melee... yeah.. Mewtwo.

Why isn't Zelda/Sheik on this poll? She's my real fave. :'(

Edit: If you'd look up you'll probably notice that Sheik IS listed - right there between Kirby and Samus. >>;