• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Whens it too late to EV & IV Train? - & how to train ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm redoing my team.. but i want to use some of my original party members.. also I want to learn how to EV & IV train.. :-\

~Feed-Back is greatly appreciated ;D

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
IV's, Individual Values, are values that can't be trained, since they can never actually change. The IV's of a Pokemon are completely random for those caught in the wild, and the IV's of a Pokemon you have bred will have half of them from the parents, and the other half completely random as far as I know. There is a way to determine where your highest IV stat is without a calculator: on the menu which shows the Pokemon's Nature, there will be a short description at the bottom, something like "Alert to sounds" or "Likes to eat." This indicates where your highest IV is. Here's a table for you I got from an FAQ (credit goes to the FAQ's owner for this.)

HIT POINTS
31-Often dozes off
30-Loves to Eat
29-Likes to Relax
28-Likes to scatter things
27-Often Naps
26-Often dozes off

ATTACK
31-Likes to thrash about
30-Proud of its' Power
29-Hot Tempered
28-Quick tempered
27-A little Quick-Tempered
26-Likes to Thrash about

DEFENSE
31-Capable of taking hits
30-Sturdy Body
29-Good perseverance
28-Good endurance
27-Highly persistent
26-Capable of taking hits

SPEED
31-Alert to sounds
30-Likes to run
29-Quick to flee
28-Somewhat of a clown
27-Impetuous and silly
26-Alert to sounds

SPECIAL ATTACK
31-Mischeivous
30-Highly Curious
29-Very Finicky
28-Often lost in thought
27-Thoroughly cunning
26-Mischeivous

SPECIAL DEFENSE
31-Somewhat Vain
30-Strong Willed
29-Somewhat Stubborn
28-Hates to lose
27-Strongly Defiant
26-Somewhat Vain

As you can see, it repeats in the same pattern over and over down to zero. Another thing to note is that these IV values will also affect the Type and Power of the move Hidden Power. I have no idea how to calculate this though, and since it is generally by pure luck that people get the right Hidden Power these days, it's not worth breaking your back just to get the right Hidden Power type.

EV's, Effort Values, can be trained, as I'm sure you know since EV training is a frequently mentioned topic. For each Pokemon you kill, that Pokemon will give up to 3 EV's in one or more stats. For instance, defeating a Machop will give +1 EV to your Attack stat, whereas a Machoke will give +2 EV's to Attack. Infernape, when beaten, gives +1 Attack, +1 Sp.Attack and +1 Speed. The more EV's you put on a particular stat, the higher that stat will go, so if you wanted to focus on increasing your Attack stat, killing nothing but Machop and Machoke would be a very good way to do it. You can have up to 255 EV's on one stat (although since you get +1 on your stat for every 4 EV's, 252 is best since it is divisible by 4), and up to 510 altogether, so you have to choose wisely where you want those EV's to go. A example I'll give is Alakazam - Alakazam is a very fast Special Sweeper, so you'll want to put 252 EV's in his Sp.Attack and 252 in his Speed in order to get the best results from him.

Here's my favourite spots for EV training:

HP: Training HP EV's is fairly easy. Bidoof gives +1 HP for each one you kill, and since they are on the very first route in the game along with Starly (Route 201), they are easy to find and easy to beat.

Attack: Best place I find for this one is just east of Celestic Town. You'll need Defog for this, but you'll find Machop, who gives +1 Attack, Machoke will give +2 Attack, and Bibarel will give +2 Attack as well. It's best to do this during the day, as tons of Noctowl start popping up at night which severely drops the rate at which Machop/Machoke/Bibarel will turn up.

Defense: Iron Island is best for this, as tons of Graveler live there who give +2 Defense for each one you kill. Onix pops up occasionally also, to give you +1 Defense. Ignore the Golbat who occasionally turn up.

Sp.Attack: Old Chateau is the best place for this by a mile. Nothing but Gastly/Haunter/Gengar in there (assuming you've already caught/killed Rotom.) Gastly gives +1 Sp.Attack, Haunter gives +2 Sp.Attack and Gengar gives +3 Sp.Attack. Rotom will give +1 Sp.Attack and +1 Speed if you kill it, but since there's only one he certainly isn't worth killing for this.

Sp.Defense: Surf around just north of Sunyshore City (next to where Jasmine is.) You'll find Mantyke there who gives +1 Sp.Defense, and Tentacool will give +1 Sp.Defense also. Occasionally a Tentacruel will appear - he gives +2 Sp.Defense.

Speed: Back to Route 201 again - Starly gives +1 Speed for each one you kill. Show them lv.2-3 Starly who's boss.

In response to when it is too late to start EV training, it's too late if your Pokemon is already lv 100, or if it would reach lv 100 before you've finished EV training it. Other than that, you can start anytime just so long as there are no EV's on it already, since that could screw things up for you.

I think that's all there is to it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

One more thing to note:

Remember those berries that lower a base stat? Assuming your Pokemon aren't at level 100 as KingOfLucario said, you can lower the Stat you want, the retrain.

Ok to sum it up..

Its a matter of killing random wild pokemon..
Certain Wild Pokemon benefit in different stats..
Once your pokemon hits 100 or has previous IVS its too late.

How do I know if it has previous IVs? :-\

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If you've battled with it (or someone else has battled with it) and gained experience from that battle, then it'll have EV points somewhere. As Carmen said though, there are berries which will remove EV's from your stats if you feed them to your Pokemon. Here's the list of berries:

Pomeg Berry: Removes HP EV's
Kelpsy Berry: Removes Attack EV's
Qualot Berry: Removes Defense EV's
Hondew Berry: Removes Sp.Attack EV's
Grepa Berry: Removes Sp.Defense EV's
Tamato Berry: Removes Speed EV's

If your Pokemon already has EV's on it, stuff it full of these things until there are no EV's on the stats you aren't interested in, then go nuts.

If you've battled with it (or someone else has battled with it) and gained experience from that battle, then it'll have EV points somewhere. As Carmen said though, there are berries which will remove EV's from your stats if you feed them to your Pokemon. Here's the list of berries:

Pomeg Berry: Removes HP EV's
Kelpsy Berry: Removes Attack EV's
Qualot Berry: Removes Defense EV's
Hondew Berry: Removes Sp.Attack EV's
Grepa Berry: Removes Sp.Defense EV's
Tamato Berry: Removes Speed EV's

If your Pokemon already has EV's on it, stuff it full of these things until there are no EV's on the stats you aren't interested in, then go nuts.

Yes but I still don't know what IVs it has... :-[ Am I missing something? Cause if I don't know what IVs it has.. how would I know what berries to use?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
IV's are awkward - as stated they cannot ever be changed, and they are given fairly randomly at birth. There are IV calculators about on the web though that can do the job of finding out exactly what all your IV's are for you, as well as what Hidden Power Type/Power you'll get from them. Unfortunately, they can only give an accurate calculation on a high-leveled Pokemon (about 50+) so trying to calculate them as soon as they are born is a futile effort....unless you own Battle Revolution, in which case you can put your newly hatched Pokemon in a "lv 50 All" battle in a Colosseum. The Pokemon will then be put up to lv 50 for the Colosseum battle (it will still be lv 1 on your game though) and by using the summary you can use its lv 50 stats as an effective means for calculating IV's.

IV's are a pain in the butt...I have a Garchomp with a grand total of zero IV's on its Attack stat....which I found out about AFTER I'd EV-trained it to lv 100. However, that's another story for another topic.

IV's are awkward - as stated they cannot ever be changed, and they are given fairly randomly at birth. There are IV calculators about on the web though that can do the job of finding out exactly what all your IV's are for you, as well as what Hidden Power Type/Power you'll get from them. Unfortunately, they can only give an accurate calculation on a high-leveled Pokemon (about 50+) so trying to calculate them as soon as they are born is a futile effort....unless you own Battle Revolution, in which case you can put your newly hatched Pokemon in a "lv 50 All" battle in a Colosseum. The Pokemon will then be put up to lv 50 for the Colosseum battle (it will still be lv 1 on your game though) and by using the summary you can use its lv 50 stats as an effective means for calculating IV's.

IV's are a pain in the butt...I have a Garchomp with a grand total of zero IV's on its Attack stat....which I found out about AFTER I'd EV-trained it to lv 100. However, that's another story for another topic.

Okay so I should do a few search engine searchs of 'IV Calculators' ?

I think a lot of the EV/IV information in this thread should be put up in a sticky, as I know it is sort of a weird topic for someone new to it. This helps loads for someone just starting to figure out how they are going to EV train.

I do have a question though, if you already have capped scattered EVs from just random battling, I am assuming that you don't earn anymore. So if you want to earn the correct EVs you must use the berries to take them all down to zero and restart. Is this correct?

tbphoenix:I believe so, but the pokemon should be in the 50ish area, I suppose, so you complete EV training.

Geo1:There is an IV calculator on Serebii.net, but its a PAIN to use if you have no clue how many EVs you have on the pokemon. >>(Like me)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I think a lot of the EV/IV information in this thread should be put up in a sticky, as I know it is sort of a weird topic for someone new to it. This helps loads for someone just starting to figure out how they are going to EV train.

There is a few details I've missed out there though, so it'd probably be better to rewrite most of this and add more details to it if we were to make an EV/IV sticky topic.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm just a little confused about something. It is similar to tbpheonix's question. Is it possible to just remove some EVs and add them elsewhere. For example, my Manectric has no physical moves. Is it possible to remove all EVs with the berries on his attack stat and then do some EV training to increase his speed with the EVs he lost from attack? Or does it not work like that? Do I have to erase ALL Evs from every stat?

Again, sorry if this has been answered - I'm just a bit confused ::)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It is indeed possible to do that. Here's how it works:

As stated, you can have up to 255 EV's on one stat, and 510 EV's altogether. So say for instance you had an EV Spread like this on Manectric:

HP: 6
ATK: 50
DEF: 0
SP.ATK: 252
SP.DEF: 0
SPEED: 202
EV's used = 510

These EV's add up to 510, so no more can be put on there. Feed Manectric 5 Kelpsy Berries and his ATK EV's will drop from 50 to 0 as shown:

ATK: 0
SP.DEF: 0
SPEED: 202
EV's used = 460

You have now only got 460 EV's, which means you can still put 50 on there. Since the maximum EV's on a stat is 255 and you only have 202 Speed EV's, these can all be put onto your speed to end up with this:

ATK: 0
SP.DEF:0
SPEED: 252
EV's used = 510

And there you have it. The only reason you'd want to remove all of them is say for instance you had a Pokemon you'd played through the game with (Gym's, Elite 4 etc.) and you wanted to use it in competitive. From going through the game and battling pretty much anyone and anything as we all do, your EV's will naturally be all over the place. By resetting all of them to zero, it makes it much easier to figure out exactly how many EV's you have on each stat, since not all EV spreads will be simple (mixed sweeping Infernape for instance will want points spread across ATK, SP.ATK and Speed.)

Hope that answers your question.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thanks so much - that really clears things up! Lol, this is quite a topic indeed. I know for people like me who are quite new to competitive battles (As you've probably guessed from my moveset choices ::) ) and EVs this topic can be very confusing!

Again, thanks for the help! I fought some Weepinbell thinking they increased special attack rather than attack, due to a mis-read. I'm glad I can fix Manectric without starting over completely!

Alright.. I'm not sure if this question was answered but.. how do i figure out my IVS... and I have no idea which IVs i have.. ???

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member

Just put "IV Calculator" into Google and you'll find an IV Calculator easy. Then, just follow the instructions on the site.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I thought this question was kinda relevant to this thread, so instead of making a new topic I'm posting it here...

I EV trained my Bagon (255 Attack, 255 Speed) evolved it and then continued to train it to level 60. I wanted to compare it to the other Salamence I had on Diamond, also level 60. It wasn't very impressed with my Adamant EV Salamence, his attack was only slightly better than the none EV trained Salamence.

Figuring I'd done something very wrong, I used the good old berries to remove all those EVs and started again. I'm only half way through attack EV training, but now his attack is already way higher than it was before. So, my question is, with Dragons is it better to train them 'later in life' when they are fully evolved, or did I just do something very wrong (Even though I did exactly the same training before)?

It may have been that you messed up some of the EVs or some of them weren't in yet. But it's a more noticeable difference when a higher level Pokemon is being EV trained. In short, it shouldn't have any effect what so ever. So, you most likely screwed up somewhere down the line.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I thought so ><

I'll have to figure out where I went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again...

Thanks Jetters

All that information can be found here.

And Pokerus can be found by battling a wild Pokemon that has it. The odds are 1/8192. You could trade to get one that has the Pokerus, is suppose.

I am VERY certain you can EV train at level 100, it'll just take awhile to change/update.

In the Red and Blue days I was a fan of carrying around 99 rare candies, I used them on mewtwo without even using him in battle yet, So he was level 100, for some reason I used him constantly for a long time even though my game had been beaten, then oneday I threw him in a box and switched some pokemon before reclaiming him again, I was very surprised to see a couple of his stats suddenly jumped into the 400's and I knew for sure they weren't like that before.

So It turns out I accidentally EV trained him and "bam!" stats raised. Not sure what caused the stats to update, maybe the box transferring did.

Status
Not open for further replies.