• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Is Your Favorite Generation of Starters?

I don't have a favorite Generation of starters. My favorite starter is Totodile, but I don't really prefer a set of starters over the others that much. They all are too different. Plus even the same type ones have different stats. (ie Infernape has way higher speed than Blaziken)

Hn....

Kanto - Loved them all. Although I used to dislike Wartortle and Charmeleon.

Johto - I had a soft spot for Chikorita's line and Cyndaquil's line, although I liked Chikorita's line the most in this region. I don't really have anything to say about Totodile.

Hoenn - Hn...Mudkip was interesting, although I didn't like the evolutions that followed. Torchic was definitely my favorite line in Hoenn, even though Combusken's shorts irritated me. I liked Treeko, up until it had a Christmas tree shoved up its-

Sinnoh - Hn, for some reason, from Gen Two onwards, I haven't really liked Water type starters. This is an example of it. Chimchar's line is my favorite in Sinnoh. I didn't really like Turtwig, but its evolutions are pretty awesome-looking to me.

Well for me ,I would say that the Jhoto starters are my personal favorites.Well, Pokemon Silver was my very first so Chickorita(is that how you spell it?) ,Cyndquill(again, is the spelling correct), and Totidile(*sigh* I'm not very good at spelling Pokemon names)have been and forever(unless Nintendo makes a new generation of Pokemon with cooler starters) will be my favorite generation of Pokemon starters.

Hard decision I love Charmander and Cyndaquil because they get the coolest evolutions in my opinion; but none of the other starters really mattered to me but I'd have to say 1st generation.

probably 1st gen..charizard (charmander) was my fav starter.but i liked all the fire starters and others were pretty cool like treecko and totodile ^^

For me the best starter set would be johto for one reason alone. Totodile. Even though i dont particularly like the other two totodile makes up for it with his oozing awesomeness.

In order from 1= best and 4= worst this is it in my opinion.

1= Johto
2=Sinnoh
3=Kanto
4=Hoen

Even though i put sinnoh as 2 Piplup is still by far my least favourite of all the starters ever.

It's hard to really answer this objectively, but I'm going to say the Kanto/Gen I starters. It was a picture of them and their evolutions, after all, that got me interested in the franchise in the first place.

After that, I would say Hoenn/Gen III for having the three final evolutions of starters that I like equally. Blaziken was amazing at first. A fire starter that isn't weak to Rock types? AWESOME! Swampert's just versatile all around, and is really fun to train. Plus, like Blaziken, it covers up for one of its primary type's weaknesses, in this case Electric. Sceptile is just cool looking, and is probably my favourite of the Grass starters. Maybe I just like dinosaur/reptilian looking Pokemon, but Sceptile was really the first Grass type that actually got me interested in training Grass types.

Despite Platinum being, in my opinion, the best version yet, I have to rank Sinnoh/Gen IV last. The only line that really interested me was the Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra line. Though the Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape line has the same advantages as Blaziken's line, I just like Blaziken more. Plus I've never really been a fan of monkey-based Pokemon. The Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon line isn't bad per say, it just seemed, to me at least, to be an attempt to cash in on the Penguin craze that was taking off with Madagascar, March of the Penguins, and Happy Feet. The show's insistence on promoting Piplup as sort of a secondary mascot of the franchise with Pikachu has also soured me to its line. It's just been shoved down our throats to the point, much like Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG, that I'm starting to dislike it just out of principal.

I can't comment on the Johto/Gen II starters, as I never played those games when they first came out, but I am looking forward to HeartGold and SoulSilver. I've always wanted a Typhlosion and Feraligatr seems pretty cool, though Meganium doesn't impress. Once I start playing the remakes and getting a feel for Gen II I may end up ranking its starters ahead of Sinnoh/Gen IV.