• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What do the people of the Pokemon world eat?

Ok, this all started by me and my friend Erich asking this simple question, what do Ash and friends eat?
I mean, did you see ANY normal animals in the anime or games? Well I didn't...
So, does that mean they eat Pokemon?
If they don't eat Pokemon, then are they all vegetarians? What do you think about this?
(Personaly, I think it'd be pretty sick if they did eat Pokemon, it's like they're eating their friends... I mean Ash is all about saving and be-friending Pokemon, no?)

I remember this topic from a long time ago--I can't remember what I said last time though, if I said anything at all.

I too would rather not think about people eating Pokemon. I say they all eat veggie burgers or some other substance that tastes like meat.

Either that or they import beef from a dimension with real animals.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If I remember correctly, in the episode where Ash challenges the Cerulean Gym it shows normal fish in one of the aquariums. There are also references to real animals made in the FireRed Pokedex, where Gastly is said to be able to envelop and choke an Indian Elephant with its gaseous body in just a few seconds.

Maybe they do exist, but you just don't see them (very often).

If I remember correctly, in the episode where Ash challenges the Cerulean Gym it shows normal fish in one of the aquariums. There are also references to real animals made in the FireRed Pokedex, where Gastly is said to be able to envelop and choke an Indian Elephant with its gaseous body in just a few seconds.

There was a lot of that in the first season (remember the ferret in the Maiden's Peak episode?), but as time went on, we started seeing fewer and fewer real world animals. Now you don't see any. And there are some Pokemon whose Pokedex entries refer to real word animals, i.e. Treecko is a wood gecko. I had forgotten about that. They could very well exist.

I remember that, but just like Carmen said, later in the amine we started to see fewer and fewer real life animals.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Farfetch'd, I remember from the original Red/Blue/Yellow excerpts, was hunted to near extinction because of how tasty it was.So apparently some people like to eat pokemon...

and then in the Gold/Silver/Crystal, Team rocket was trying to sell Slowpoke Tails for their nutrutional value (how nutritious they are is brought into doubt, but obviously people were buying and eating them as much trouble as Rocket went through for them)

Doesn't some nice roast duck with a side of [whatever the hell slowpoke is] with orange sauce sound good to you? XD

Also, in an early episode when or right before Jessie/Jame's Magikarp evolves and tries to kill them, one of them mentions eating it, and the other breaks apart the dream by asking if they know exactly how tough Magikarp are to eat.

I remember having a conversation like this with a friend of mine. I think I've seen an episode where a market was shown, and there were fish pokemon for sell there. I'm pretty sure they were dead too. Then again, I might be thinking of something else.

EDIT: There! I fixed it! Are you happy now Ruko?! ;p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I don't like the idea that the people of the Pokemon world would eat pokemon either. It wouldn't be very nice since they're suppost to raise and care for them.

That said, we eat our animals. Dogs are meant to be man's best friend, yet many cultures consider them a delicacy. So in the Pokemon world, is eating their 'animals' so different to us eating ours? There are also loads of 'Dex enteries stating that pokemon eat each other, which I think is bad enough. Imagine sending out your Caterpie only for your opponents Pidgey to start eating it!

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I remember in one of the earlier edpisodes, Ash thought about his Metapod getting split in half by his opponent's Pinsir.

it wasn't eating it, but it depicted a Halved Metapod...

They probably did eat Pokemon. Yea, the Pokemon are friends, but so are animals and we eat them(pigs, cows, etc.) Some refer to them as farm animals, so they probably have farm Pokemon, I would suppose.

I think in one of the Hoenn episodes, Ash and May were eating chicken, and in an elsewhere episode, they have steak. I know hwere they might've gotten the steak (Milktank, Tauros) but the chicken has me baffled. So, based on the steak, they might eat at least some Pokemon. Just like we only eat (or don't eat) certain animals. Like Americans eat pig, while Jews don't.....(Sorry, only example I could think of. So, no offence to any Jews)

Peking Psyduck, Rotisserie Fearow, Mystery Muk, Leafeon Cobbler, Regice Cream, Cubone Soup, Shellder Escargot, Miltank and Taurus Steak, Geodudy Road, Hard Boiled, Scrambled, and Sunny Side Up Togepi, and for an extra special meal, Spoink Chops. Sounds exquisite, doesn't it...

Basicly the Anime showed more basic animals early on since there werent always pokemon too pose in for those animals yet (a big example is the Cerulean gyms aquariums)

So they eat the same basic stuff then us, you just dont see it as much since its not the focal fo the show.

PS: Im pretty sure that when you see them in one of those festivals, theres once or twice that you see them eating grilled fish that dont look like pokemon. Id have to find a screenie though...

Basicly the Anime showed more basic animals early on since there werent always pokemon too pose in for those animals yet (a big example is the Cerulean gyms aquariums)

So they eat the same basic stuff then us, you just dont see it as much since its not the focal of the show.

Might be some "farm pokemon" as well, that are raised for their meat I guess.

Well If You Ever Played The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Games They Eat Apples Berrys (Etc.)
That was the pokemon eating. Not humans.

PS: Im pretty sure that when you see them in one of those festivals, theres once or twice that you see them eating grilled fish that dont look like pokemon. Id have to find a screenie though...

As the Pokemon universe had refined itself we see less and less references to real animals. So I think it's fair to say that in the Pokemon world Pokemon are the only animals in existence.

As for food, well Pokemon are shown to have a higher degree of intelligence and self-awareness then normal animals, so I would think using them as food would wrong, from an ethical standpoint. So yeah, I'm agreeing with Silver Scizor; fruits, vegetables, and tofu/"synthetic" meats.

P

PokeRad

If you remember the farfetch'd episode then you'll remember that the pokedex mentioned that people ate them to near extinction.

Also , i agree with Teh Purple One and say that Regice cream will taste delicious. ;D

And also there are normal fish in the Cerulean gym (which can probably be eaten)

And for the vegetarians, there are always the fruits and vegetables in the forests (which have been shown to us very often)

Ok, this all started by me and my friend Erich asking this simple question, what do Ash and friends eat?
I mean, did you see ANY normal animals in the anime or games? Well I didn't...
So, does that mean they eat Pokemon?
If they don't eat Pokemon, then are they all vegetarians? What do you think about this?
(Personaly, I think it'd be pretty sick if they did eat Pokemon, it's like they're eating their friends... I mean Ash is all about saving and be-friending Pokemon, no?)
Oh, lulz... I should get my friend on here, he'll give you some answers. In D/P, if you go to the Canalave Library, one of te books on the third floor talks about a belief similar to that of the Inuit and other such tribes when eating Pokemon. (ie use everything and thank the Pokemon for letting you eat it.)
But that's too boring. ;D I guess nowadays, we all eat berries... but I swear, I saw a cat in Crystal version... naah, probably the horrid graphics xD
~naoko

Maybe all the real-world animals are on some other coutnry were there are no pokemon, so the pokemon wouldnt attake the real-world animals, and real world animal meat is shipped into the regions that have pokemon in them.

P

Pokepok

well the pokedex once said that farfetch'd are delicious.
and for the vegetarians, berries,vegetables and other fruits are available.

and there obviously are farms and barns in the poke'world(they were shown in some episodes,weren't they??).therefore commodities like flour and rice and etc.are available.