• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

VGC Trick Room Team

This is a doubles trick room team I'm trying to put together for VGC. I'd really like some suggestions on what to do. I think I should mention, I haven't gotten to play test this out at all, these are all currently theoretical builds.

Reuniclus @ choice scarf
Quiet
Magic Guard
192 HP/ 64 Def/ 252 SpAtk

- Trick
- Trick room
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Average Trick room lead, nothing too special here. Trick and scarf to make anything slower than me, faster.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Iron Barbs
252HP/ 88 Def/ 168 SpDef

- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Ingrain/ leech seed
- Stealth rock?

I'm a little confused about what to do with Ferrothorn. I'm unsure wether ingrain or leech seed would be better to have. Leech seed can bring a much greater recovery and can force a switch, but ingrain seems to have better synergy with my strategy (of being slow and staying put.) I also debate about putting stealth rock on this set because, more often than not, Ferrothorn won't be leading and the rocks may be wasted at that point.

Conkelldur @ Flame Orb
Brave
Guts
252 Atk/ ?Def/ ? Sp.Def

- Drain punch/ Mach punch
- Ice punch
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Conkelldur will be the team's second lead along with reuniclus. Protect to allow Flame orb/ guts to activate. Ice punch because Ice moves seem to handle most of the big threats out there. I keep debating between Drain punch and mach punch. With something this slow that hits this hard, the thought of having priority is hard to ignore. on the other hand, it would be really nice to heal off the damage from the burn. and finally the EV spread. I want to give some attention to both Def. and Sp.Def, but I keep second guessing how to split the EV's as to be effective.

and the fourth spot...I have no idea. I don't even know where to start so any suggestion whatsoever would be vastly appreciated.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since VGC13 lets you use the entire National 'Dex besides the Ubers/Event Pokemon, you can use more than just Gen V here. Few things to note:

- Cresselia is essential for VGC Trick Room teams since her immense bulk all but guarantee she'll survive long enough to set up TR, and her utility will continue to aid you afterwards.

- There's two ways to go with Trick Room in VGC: You can go for a very slow but very powerful and bulky team that becomes near-unstoppable in TR conditions and relies on its defensive bulk to withstand attacks and retaliate with Trick Room inactive, or a mid-speed Trick Room team that contains a few Pokemon with fairly average Speed stats such as Heatran, Rotom Appliances or bulky variants of Hydreigon and Dragonite, which lets you outspeed quicker teams with Trick Room active while still outspeeding slower, bulkier teams with it inactive. You can use a bit of both options if you want to.

Finally, for VGC13 I wouldn't recommend any of the three Pokemon you've chosen here. Ferrothorn is niche in VGC13 rules and entry hazards are worthless in doubles, Reuniclus is made redundant by Cresselia being mandatory and Conkeldurr is overshadowed somewhat by Scrafty and Hariyama due to Fake Out on both and Scrafty just being awesome.