• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Vaporeon and I need help

I have a problem. It's my Vaporeon. I don't know what moves to teach her, and if i should teach her a new move. I need some advice. Thanks. Oh, here are her moves.
Aurora Beam
Surf
Acid Armor
Shadow Ball
She's in level 64. Thanks. :)

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Ice Beam is more powerful than Aurora Beam, and have the same chance at having their effects activate, so I'd say Drop Aurora for Ice

other than that, she looks good
if you want her to be a bit more like a Wall, you can use a heart scale and teach Aqua Ring in place of Shadow Ball

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Surf and Acid armor are good on it
and Shadow ball is fine too, I just said Aqua ring if you wanted it ;p

but while I'm here, get rid of one of the trainer cards in your signature, and put the two remaining trainer cards side by side, as per the rules on signatures here.

TM13 (Ice Beam) is easily picked up at the Veilstone Game Corner for a measily 10,000 coins. This translates to $200,000 (to outright just buy the coins), or less than 3 runs through the E4 with an Amulet Coin or Lucky Incense (each run nets you a little over $87k if I remember correctly).

Bah, how could you not like Ice Beam? ;) Very nice to counter Grass types with, I almost always throw an ice move on my water types. But what else to throw in there? I leave that to the masters here.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Waterfall is physical and won't do much damage.
Typically vaporeon is also slow, so the effect isn't likely to activate.

I'd suggest against it ;p

TM13 (Ice Beam) is easily picked up at the Veilstone Game Corner for a measily 10,000 coins. This translates to $200,000 (to outright just buy the coins), or less than 3 runs through the E4 with an Amulet Coin or Lucky Incense (each run nets you a little over $87k if I remember correctly).

hmm thanks Pheonix. I'll keep that in mind.
Also I never knew Waterfall was considered Physical.
I'm assuming Surf is considered Special.
But yet Ice Beam > Aurora Beam without a doubt. ;)

That really hurts, considering that Vaporeon is one of my favorite pokemon. My friend tells me to teach her Attract. Should I do it?
It really depends on what you would like to do with Vap, if you do use attract I suggest stalling with it. Basicly using Toxic, Acid Armor, Wish and Say Aqua Ring to really stall an opponent. Plus you can Wish one turn and switch to a pokemon in need of healing to help support your team.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's basically what Vaporeon can do for you:

Moveset 1: The Hazer

Vaporeon @ Leftovers

- Surf
- Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
- Haze
- Wish

Hazing Vaporeon for anyone who often uses stat boosts in battle. Vaporeon isn't exactly the best Pokemon for this, since it's Defense stat is not particularly good and Energy Ball/Thunderbolt will wreck your day on the Special side, but it's an option.

Moveset 2: The Sub-passer

Vaporeon @ Leftovers

- Surf
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Wish/Acid Armour

Vaporeon's HP stat is HUGE, so it can make some very powerful Substitutes. With Baton Pass, you can then pass these to other members of your team. Wish works well with Baton Pass since it lets you pass heals to your team-mates too, or you can pass Acid Armour boosts to your more fragile team members. Surf for a STAB attack.

Moveset 3: The Toxi-staller

Vaporeon @ Leftovers

- Surf
- Toxic
- Aqua Ring/Attract
- Wish/Rest

Stalling Vaporeon. Wear down opponents with Toxic and Surf, and use Aqua Ring and Wish/Rest to keep yourself alive. Attract is there as an option to stop the opponent from attacking you should they stay in, although most will switch out to stop Toxic from tearing them apart.

Moveset 4: The Special Sweeper

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Wise Glasses

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Electric/Grass)

Ummmm...yeah. Well, Vaporeon DOES have 110 base Sp.Attack...and you could surprise someone with this. Surf for STAB, Ice Beam for Dragons, Shadow Ball for Psychic/Ghosts and HP Electric/Grass to hit Water-types. Electric is the better choice here since it takes out Empoleon and Gyarados. Vaporeon is very slow though, so sweeping isn't really its forte.

That's basically all the things that Vaporeon can do. Moveset 2 is my favourite, with Moveset 3 in second (although Umbreon is much better at Toxi-stalling,) Moveset 1 in third since there are a lot of better Hazers/PHazers out there (Weezing, Skarmory, Suicune etc.) and Moveset 4 last since it's a joke moveset really - there has to be at least 50 better Special Sweepers than Vaporeon out there.

Ummm...that's it. See what you think. :)

Thanks. (even though some words hurt for some reason). if you all have other suggestions for what Vaporeon can do, please post them. i'm still deciding on which moveset I should use. So, i'm all ears, :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Out of the four movesets I made, I thought Moveset 2 (Sub-passer) was the best one for Vaporeon. The only Pokemon I know of that can Baton Pass stronger Substitutes than Vaporeon is Drifblim, but Drifblim also suffers from much worse stats in defenses and Sp.Attack, as well as having a much worse typing with 5 weaknesses compared to Vaporeon's 2 weaknesses, so Vaporeon beats Drifblim overall. The Subs will prevent opponents from putting Status effects on you, from dropping your stats, and will protect you from at least 1 turns worth of damage...and that 1 turn can easily be the one that wins you the match.

The first moveset (Hazer) will work OK on Special Sweepers, but a Physical Sweeper with Swords Dance will be a lot more dangerous since they may be able to KO Vaporeon before the Haze hits. All teams should have at least one Hazer in my view, but Vaporeon has better things it can be doing if there is someone else available in your team to Haze instead.

The Toxi-stalling set is alright, although Vaporeon lacks a more reliable way to stop the opponent from attacking you than Attract, which won't help at all against an opponent who is the same gender as you or has no gender at all. Vaporeon also lacks a trapping move like Mean Look to make the most out of Toxic's increasing damage, although Surf does make up for that somewhat. It is by all means a good set that will be able to stay alive well and cause quite a lot of damage, but there are a few moves that Vaporeon misses out on that would make the moveset perfect.

Fourth moveset, the Special Sweeper, I put in as a bit of a joke, although Vaporeon can still cause a lot of damage with it. Vaporeon lacks speed though, and with its defensive and support capabilities being better than its offensive capabilities, sweeping isn't the best choice for Vaporeon. I put it there simply to show how versatile Vaporeon is.

The best moveset to choose will depend mostly on what the rest of your team is like, and what your team needs the most. Moveset 2 for example, even though it's my favourite of the lot, won't be as useful on a team that consists of mostly defensive Pokemon, since they don't really need the extra protection that the Sub provides. See what your team needs the most, and pick the moveset that caters best to your team's needs. Hope that helped. :)