• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Trozei - A hit classic or another random spinoff?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Who's bought or played Pokemon Trozei thus far? I know some of us have, so it's about time the poor game was given a topic :p

I'll admit up front that I haven't played Trozei all that much yet. As of now, I'm about ready to take on the second boss. Either way, that's given me enough of an impression of what the game is like.

Trozei is similar to other puzzlers in some ways yet unique in others. I've heard others refer to it as a take off Yoshi's Cookie and Zoo Keeper, and IMO its also a bit like Meteos. Regardless, the crux of the gameplay is like no other puzzle game I've personally played, which makes it pretty fun and worth the experience.

Like with most any Pokemon spinoff, completing the PokeDex (aka. Trozei list) keeps you going back. Since the gameplay is fairly quick and easy, yet varies each time you play, it's nothing to redo a stage you've already beaten in attempt to Trozei Pokemon you previously missed. Once you encounter a Pokemon on a stage its data is logged into the Trozei list, so tracking them down at a later date is no problem either.

Some people have complained about the graphics but I think they give the game style. I find the cut scenes funky (it's a neat art style ^^) and the plot is decent enough for a puzzler. Seriously, you can't really nor should expect anything more :p

Music quality? Decent. It doesn't really stand out but, again, it doesn't really have to. Easy on the ears, and that's all that really matters.

Now, addiction... I know some people say they've become really addicted to the game but I personally can't say I have. It's good alright, and fun to pick up and have a go at, but I don't find myself compelled to play it anymore so than my other puzzlers. Truth be told, I found Puyo Pop Fever much more addictive ^^;

Summed up, if you like puzzlers and Pokemon, Trozei is definitely worth the buy. If you're iffy on the puzzle genre or find that you've already been "puzzled out" by all the other ones on DS, you may want to pass on this one. I dunno... A good Pokemon puzzle game is always fun (simply for the fact that it's Pokemon), but Trozei really isn't that outstanding compared to other DS games available.

But maybe that's just my opinion. Any takers? ;)

Btw - Trozei (or Pokemon Link) is out May 3rd in the UK/Europe.

Probably going to pass on this one. I really, REALLY want to play it, but my excessive game buying has rendered me dangerously poor, and I've had to set down some limits. You can send your copy to me when you're finished, though.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Trozei, Trozeis, Trozeid! It's a verb and a noun! XD

"I will Trozei and defeat you all, you hear me?!"

"I Trozeid those Pokemon good! Damn good!"

"Feel the wrath of my Continuous Trozeis!"

*ahem*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
(Hates when you write a post up and the browser crashes >.>)

I'm starting to see how some people can call Trozei addictive. Once the gameplay starts heating up it gets tougher but also a lot more fun ^^ Alex calls Trozei the Pokemon version of Columns but that's just fine. I've never played Columns extensively, and Trozei really is a great DS puzzler (stylus gameplay pwnz). My opinion on whether or not to buy the game is pretty much the same, tho. If you like puzzlers, get Trozei. If you don't like the genre... it wouldn't matter if it was Trozei or Tetris DS, aside from Tetris being online :p

Speaking of which.. I really want to try out Trozei's 2-player modes but I don't know anyone with the game, which is why I think all good puzzlers that can be online SHOULD be online. It sucks if you can't play against anyone else >.>

For people who do own Trozei, what's your Pokemon completion %? I still have yet to challenge the fourth boss, but I'm at about 36.1% on my Trozei list (thank you Endless Trozei mode ^^).