• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Trick Room Backups

Jeez, I'm finding it difficult to stick to one team.

Uppon reviewing my currently in-training Trick Room Team, I found one common weakness: They are uncomfortably close in typing. Rhyperior, Bronzong, Dusknoir, Solrock, Swampert, and Metagross. Dusknoir and Metagross are fine, but the others are very close.

And so, I organized some viable replacements. The replacements I favor are shown as follows:

224 Octillery- Mixed Sweeper
Water Type
[-o-] Expert Belt 252 SAtk/ 130 HP/ 128 Atk
Ability: Sniper Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)

- Ice Beam
- Seed Bomb
- Waterfall
- Psychic

103 Exeggutor- Trick Room
Grass-Psychic Type
[-o-] Wise Glasses 252 SAtk/ 130 SDef/ 128 Def
Ability: Chlorophyll Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)

- Trick Room
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Toxic

344 Claydol- Jester (Trick Room-Power Trick)
Ground-Psychic Type
[-o-] [sub]???[/sub] 252 HP/ 130 Def/ 128 Atk
Ability: Levitate Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Trick Room
- Power Trick
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Check Post #3 for the improved Claydol.

________
Thank you for your time.

AL
*Poof!*

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Overall, your sets for your replacements are good:

- Octillery has a lot of moves at its disposal. Fire Blast/Flamethrower are other viable options, Rock Blast can wreck Substitute users and Charge Beam can boost your Sp.Attack as well. They're worth trying out to see how well they work out for you.

- Exeggutor doesn't really need Toxic - Toxic isn't a move that should be randomly slapped onto movesets as a filler. Sleep Powder combined with Trick Room can be very nasty to deal with - otherwise OK.

- Keep in mind that making a Trick Room team does not automatically require that all your would-be slow defenders become fast-paced sweepers. Claydol doesn't really need Power Trick to be effective since Trick Room doesn't change the fact that he really doesn't need to kill his opponents in a hurry thanks to his impressive defenses. Rapid Spin is a great replacement if no-one else in your team is carrying the move, or a move like Rock Slide or Explosion can fit in nicely as well if someone else is already carrying Rapid Spin.

344 Claydol- Trick Roomer
Ground-Psychic Type
[-o-] Life Orb 252 HP/ 130 Def/ 128 Atk
Ability: Levitate Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Trick Room
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin/ Zen Headbutt/ ???
- Explosion

I figure that Rapid Spin could be replaceable; no-one else has it. And Claydol should have the HP to support the Life Orb. Plus, it gives that tiny boost to Explosion that could make the difference.

I'll replace Toxic with Sleep Powder; sounds reasonable to me. I'll try out the Charge Beam/Flamethrower, but I'll more-than-likely keep Octillery's moveset due to the versitility and type coverage.

Thank you, King of Lucario.

AL
*Poof!*