• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles This may sound a little odd but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to make a competitive Espurr. The rest of my team is already set.
Espurr & Everstone (Because I am leveling it)
Hasty
Keen Eye
EVs
It seems SP Atk and Sp Def/Defence.

- Disarming Voice (40 Power and Always hits.)
- Psybeam (65 Power and 100 Accuracy)
- Covet (60 Power and 100 Accuracy) Replaced with Psychic (90 Power and 100 Accuracy)
- Psyschock (80 Power and 100 Accuracy)

I was thinking of replacing Covet with Psychic Done, Psybeam with Thunderbolt and Disarming Voice with either Energy Ball/Dark Pulse

Last edited:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
"Odd" isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

First of all, read this topic:

http://pokecharms.com/threads/basics-to-competitive-team-making.1067/

It'll give you a better idea of what kind of moves you should (and should never) be using on your movesets. Also, since male and female Meowstic (don't use unevolved Espurr competitively for the love of god...) have different abilities, you'll need to specify gender here since the movesets will vary greatly depending on it. Once you've read the topic, update your moveset and I'll give you some more details.

If you lie and tell me you've read it when you haven't, I will know.

"Odd" isn't the word I'd use to describe it.

First of all, read this topic:

http://pokecharms.com/threads/basics-to-competitive-team-making.1067/

It'll give you a better idea of what kind of moves you should (and should never) be using on your movesets. Also, since male and female Meowstic (don't use unevolved Espurr competitively for the love of god...) have different abilities, you'll need to specify gender here since the movesets will vary greatly depending on it. Once you've read the topic, update your moveset and I'll give you some more details.

If you lie and tell me you've read it when you haven't, I will know.
I have read it. Hence why I suggested Psychic, Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt. I know using a unevolved Pokemon competitively is way out of the ordinary but, I would really like to use Espurr competitively.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Then why is Dream Eater being considered? It's a shoe-in for worst move in the entire game.

Also, using Espurr competitively will not work at all. Its stats are far too low even with Eviolite, and using Espurr without it is just ridiculous.

Then why is Dream Eater being considered? It's a shoe-in for worst move in the entire game.

Also, using Espurr competitively will not work at all. Its stats are far too low even with Eviolite, and using Espurr without it is just ridiculous.
If you are going to keep telling me it is ridiculous it won't affect what I plan to do. I considered Dream Eater because when I was reading through it's effects I did not notice that the target has to be asleep.
Could I just please get advice on Espurr.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Nothing I tell you is going to make Espurr usable or useful on a competitive team in any way, shape or form, so I'm not going to waste my time trying.

If you want to use it in Little Cup I can try to help you, but I'm not going to waste my time on this otherwise.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Better.

Espurr's stats are somewhat lacking even by Little Cup standards (compared to stuff like Munchlax, Elekid and Abra anyway) but he can be quite good on the support side of things:

Espurr @ Eviolite if it's allowed, Life Orb or Oran Berry if it's not
Own Tempo
Timid/Hasty/Naive

- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Dark Pulse
- Thunder Wave

Reflect/Light Screen + Light Clay is an option here too for a purely supportive Espurr. Fake Out's bonus damage can be a lot more significant in Little Cup where everyone has less than 20 HP for the most part anyway. Little Cup I find to be a lot more offense-oriented than standard formats and Thunder Wave can allow Espurr to stop fast enemies dead in their tracks so that fellow team-mates can sweep easier. Psychic for STAB obviously, Energy Ball can inflict heavy damage to Ground-types who can't be paralyzed, Thunderbolt is just a good move to have in general and Dark Pulse can catch Ghost-types trying to switch into Fake Out.

The nature depends on whether you wish to preserve your defenses (Timid) or would prefer to sacrifice a defensive stat for extra damage on Fake Out (Hasty/Naive.)

Better.

Espurr's stats are somewhat lacking even by Little Cup standards (compared to stuff like Munchlax, Elekid and Abra anyway) but he can be quite good on the support side of things:

Espurr @ Eviolite if it's allowed, Life Orb or Oran Berry if it's not
Own Tempo
Timid/Hasty/Naive

- Fake Out
- Psychic
- Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Dark Pulse
- Thunder Wave

Reflect/Light Screen + Light Clay is an option here too for a purely supportive Espurr. Fake Out's bonus damage can be a lot more significant in Little Cup where everyone has less than 20 HP for the most part anyway. Little Cup I find to be a lot more offense-oriented than standard formats and Thunder Wave can allow Espurr to stop fast enemies dead in their tracks so that fellow team-mates can sweep easier. Psychic for STAB obviously, Energy Ball can inflict heavy damage to Ground-types who can't be paralyzed, Thunderbolt is just a good move to have in general and Dark Pulse can catch Ghost-types trying to switch into Fake Out.

The nature depends on whether you wish to preserve your defenses (Timid) or would prefer to sacrifice a defensive stat for extra damage on Fake Out (Hasty/Naive.)
I would be fine with a more Offensive Espurr. But alas I am at school so I cannot work on that.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Go for Fake Out/Thunder Wave + two attacks in that case. Espurr's stats aren't really high enough to run pure attack like the aforementioned Elekid and Abra as well as enemies such as Houndour and Staryu so it needs to improvise a little to keep up with them, but Thunder Wave is potent enough to allow Espurr to one-up anything attempting to just trample through it.

You're using Espurr? That's awesome! I love people who go outside the norm.

When you're done with your moveset, let's battle! 'kay?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Aaaaand warned for gravedigging.

Don't post in threads that haven't had any response in over 2 months CharlyGold or there will be more where that came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.