• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Wide Lens

I just wanted to know exactly how well the Wide Lens works. I'm a bit leery about the "slightly boosts" items. Is that slight boost worth it though? I've seen people who have built movesets around it. I was thinking of giving one to either a Hitmonlee or a Hitmonchan to improve the accuracy of Hi Jump Kick and Sky Uppercut respectively.

I'm pretty sure this specific topic hasn't been covered somewhere. Sorry if it has.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
According to the random FAQ I tracked down (since official guides tend to leave out the actual amount these items boost you), the Wide Lens raises your accuracy by 10%. It's basically the hold item I always wanted.

In theory I could see how that'd be beneficial for certain attacks, but whether you'd actually notice the difference in battle I'm not sure. It's a bit of extra security, if anything (and attacks with 90%+ accuracy become 100%).

My advice is to test it out for yourself and see if you notice a difference. Some people say they do and others say they don't, or at least not one that's worthwhile when you could use a different hold item instead.

Hope that helps ^^;

Yeah thanks. I was beginning to wonder if it would ever be replied to. Perseverence and patience paid off! The Wide Lens will definitely help with Hi Jump Kick and Sky Uppercut. Both have base accuracy of 90. And it helps reduce the chance that Hitmonlee will take recoil damage.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
According to the random FAQ I tracked down (since official guides tend to leave out the actual amount these items boost you), the Wide Lens raises your accuracy by 10%. It's basically the hold item I always wanted.

In theory I could see how that'd be beneficial for certain attacks, but whether you'd actually notice the difference in battle I'm not sure. It's a bit of extra security, if anything (and attacks with 90%+ accuracy become 100%).

Hmm, that's not altogether true. A 10% boost means that the original accuracy is multiplied by 1.1, or 110%.

An attack with 90% accuracy will become 90 x 1.1 = 99% accurate. Near enough to 100% that you should hardly ever notice it fail, but in practice, far enough away that you may see it miss several times during a match ;).

However, a move of 95% accuracy will become 95 x 1.1 = 104.5% accurate. Quite what the game does about this, I'm not sure - does it round the accuracy to 100%, like many Pokemon moves where 100% means "it will always hit unless your foe screws with your Accuracy stat or their Evasion stat", or does it become "never miss"? Probably something to ask about on the forums of a site where people do hacking into the code, such as Psypoke.

Also, what happens to a move that's already 100%? Does it improve to never miss? Or stay the same?

Sorry to raise more questions than I've answered :D.

Considering Accuracy can be raised above 100% (which I believe is more like 99.6% in reality), it probably doesn't throw that stat out the window. I believe the code allows for this, but no move actually does it.

I asked around about Accuracy once when I was working on my simulator program, and I was directed to this page on the Hexagonal Research site. I still had to guess a little on the actual equations used, though.

I tested out the Wide Lens on my Metagross to improve the accuracy of Hammer Arm. In normal conditions it hasn't missed once so the little boost was worth it.

I've used a widelens with my Leafeon for its 'grasswhistle' move. It's still missing occasionally but its definitley more accurate. Grasswhistels accuracy is 55 so I have no idea what it is now.

It does tend to be helpful, especially against foes with evasion techniques. And pairing it with the power Compoundeyes....Well, I tend to include one hit kill moves now.

Gengar@Timid
WideLens
FocusBlast ( 70 acu becomes 77 )
ShadowBall
EnergyBall/T-Bolt
Hypnosis ( 70 acu becomes 77 )

thats the best way to abuse wide lends IMO