• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Spoilerific X-Men III Topic

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A non-spoiler - stay until the end of the credits! I didn't, but I won't let others make my mistake :(

ANYWAYS - I'm gonna spoil everything from here on, 'cause that's the best way to discuss the movie, so it's your own damn fault if you read this before watching it :p

I saw X-Men III last Sunday night and I have mixed feelings. It was expected really, considering I'd been hoping for many, MANY X-Men movies and only got three (the spin-offs don't count). Hell, no Apocalypse whatsoever? That just sucks.

Am I biased then? Yes, very much so.

I don't like the line-up of X-Men we ended off with. Wolverine and Beast were definite aces, and Storm is alright, but Bobby, Kitty, and Colossus just didn't fill the ranks as well as some of my other faves would. Cyclops did annoy me in the previous movies by times (as well as the various X-Men cartoons), but killing him right off the bat seemed wrong. It made sense plot-wise - got the emotions going, Jean killing her lover - but what a shame. Same goes for Prof X. I at least figured he'd die near the end of the movie, not around the beginning. But meh. His death, like Scott's, got the movie rolling, so it made sense why they did it. The fact that we knew he was going to die from the trailers made it less heavy, too. Cyclops' actually did shock me, and it took me awhile to accept that he actually was dead and wasn't miraculously gonna pop back up later on. I've been tainted by too much Joss Whedon/Xena-ness (the characters never know when to stay dead).

Too many great characters lost their powers... Okay, only three greats did. Mystique and Rogue, again two of my faves who were out of action through mostly the entire movie (and aren't getting their own spin-off like Magneto, who btw rocked hard in this movie. Flying cars and moving bridges are teh fun). It seems like they wanted to give newer characters more show-time - or maybe the actresses didn't want large roles. Rogue not reaching her full potential in the movie series was just another shame IMO. She didn't even gain her flying ability :(

Nightcrawler definitely was missed, but I read about the circumstances behind his no-show. And why STILL no Gambit? I want my Gambit, dammit all!

At least we got Beast. I love Beast ^^

I don't know Angel (not Buffy's "Angel" :p) too much, so sadly most of his role was lost on me aside from his obvious coolness factor.

So again, mixed feelings. Ignoring my obvious biases - I just didn't want the movies to end, and this one felt very, VERY final - it was a really great movie. Lots of cool special effects, and unlike movies like Matrix II they didn't seem cheap (by not seeming "cheap" I mean it felt like the plot actually drove the movie and the effects were just additions, while Matrix II was all special effects).

And now I must ask the question I'm pretty sure I can answer myself. Did this movie have anything to do with the original X-Men series? I feel like I've asked this before concerning the previous two... I didn't really read the comics, which are generally considered the "original story", so I wouldn't know either way. I've heard that the first movie did tie into the comic series in some ways, and I know vaguely of the Phoenix Saga - nothing extensive. So, did Prof. X really die in the comics? Did some mutants lose their powers? Yadda yadda.

If you haven't seen the movie yet and am reading this post, you're silly for ruining it for yourself. But even if you have, go see it now. Unless you're anti-superheroes/sci fi or something :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Is it not released in the UK yet, or you just have no one to see it with? 'Cause you can go see movies alone ;)

I'm wondering how its been doing in the box office n' such. Getting good reviews? I've really had no one to discuss it with yet =/

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
A lot of the reviews of it over here say its really bad. Eh.

I liked it. It was good, but as my mum said, it was very asthetically pleasing. Some of the characters needed more screen time, like Phoenix (I KNOW she could have appeared more =p), and some could've used less (STOP HOGGING THE FILM, LOGAN!).

I'm crap at opinions. So sue me. +1 Spam.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A lot of the reviews of it over here say its really bad. Eh.

I liked it. It was good, but as my mum said, it was very asthetically pleasing. Some of the characters needed more screen time, like Phoenix (I KNOW she could have appeared more =p), and some could've used less (STOP HOGGING THE FILM, LOGAN!).

I'm crap at opinions. So sue me. +1 Spam.

"Really bad" is far too harsh a review IMO... and very much wrong. It was not that bad. I wouldn't even use the word "bad" to describe it, regardless of if I have several biases. As far as comic book movies go it was STILL one of the better ones, just as all of the X-Men movies have been.

I could agree with your mom's opinion. It really did feel like Logan was the center, and the fact that he was the one who stopped Phoenix topped it off. Do I care, tho? Not really. I love that crazy guy ^^

But characters like Kitty and Angel just kinda showed up with barely any development (aside from the fact that Kitty did make cameos in the past film/s). Did they even call Kitty "Shadowcat" once in this entire movie? If so, I must've missed it >.>
As for Angel... like I said, his purpose in the film was mostly lost on me, but it was partially due to his lack of screen time and any real development.

I disagree about Phoenix appearing more, though. She was in it enough for my liking. I wanted more Rogue! :(

And your post wasn't spam :p

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Quiet, you're ruining my spamerrific coolitude.

I agree about Warren and Kitty. Kitty had more scenes that Warren, and she still didn't have enough. Warren seemed to be there... just because they could put him in.

As for Rogue... What were they going to do? Show her waiting in line for a few hours? She shouldn't have got The Cure. >=o

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No you can't... >_>

Lies!

I did :X

I was desprate, dammit! Busy every other weekend/evening, and there was no one to see it with me, so I went to X-III alone... hence my needing to discuss it with someone - ANYONE. Well, anyone with half a brain :p

Edit: Oh, hey. Been informed of two things now by my Marvel-crazed friend.

First, it's good that they didn't call Kitty Pryde "Shadowcat" because she technically wasn't dubbed that name until a specific event. Truthfully, I was going by X-Men Evolution because I couldn't remember anything about Kitty before that. Same went for Nightcrawler. Now I've learned. Wikipedia has shown me the way ^^

As for Prof. X's death... Why didn't anyone tell me to wait until the end of the credits? I LEFT RIGHT AWAY, DAMMIT! *Ahem* Anyways, supposedly something happened at the veeeeeeery end which basically showed that Xavier isn't actually dead. Go fig. Guess my tainting by Whedon and Xena wasn't off after all, aside from Cyclops' staying dead and all. But who's to say he won't mysteriously come back to life, too? Jean included.

Y'see? No one ever knows when to stay dead :p