• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Semi-Official Project Miato Thread

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
ProfRedwood_2009.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the Miato region! My name is Professor Erin Redwood - and around here, I am considered to be the leading researcher in the field of PokéMon.

What are those mysterious creatures, you ask?

AnimeStarters1.jpg

"PokéMon are creatures that have co-existed with humans in cooperation that has lasted for many an era around the world. Some people keep PokeMon as pets. Others test their skills and their PokéMon's skills on the field of battle.

However, just as PokéMon hold our fascination, they also hold many mysteries - and it seems like every one we solve brings forth even more, more difficult mysteries. That is why researchers like myself are constantly on the front line of discovery - in laboratories or out there, observing them in the wild. I am always up for both.

But enough about me... What can I do for you?

MiatoTrainers.jpg

Ah, new trainers, just starting your journey, are you? Well. I'm sure you'll be interested in information about the PokéMon available as starters for new trainers. Allow me to tap into the GPDS and introduce you:

MiatoGrassStarters2009.jpg

Ennulithe, the Lizard PokéMon
Type: Grass
Ability: Symbiosis (1/4 of damage inflicted by Grass, Water and Ground moves is healed)
Evolutions: Ennulithe -> Basileaf (Lv. 16) -> Iguyana (Lv. 32)
ENNULITHE's vivid green coloration changes with the seasons to fit the color of the trees and grass it hides in. In colder areas, ENNULITHE's scales become white as the winter snow around it. When they do, it seeks a warm place to spend the winter in.

Basileaf, the Agile PokéMon
Type: Grass
Ability: Symbiosis (1/4 of damage inflicted by Grass, Water and Ground moves is healed)
BASILEAF is extremely swift and energetic. If a river or a lake stands in the path of a running BASILEAF, it will run across the water without difficulty. The distinctive three crests on its head, back and tail have inspired many myths.

Iguyana, the Rainforest PokéMon
Type: Grass/Dragon
Highly attuned with the rainforests it lives in, IGUYANA's camoflage is nearly perfect when it is hunting. In spite of its large mass, its powerful limbs propel it forward at amazing speeds.

The Ennulithe line is perfect for those who like to strike hard and fast. They excel in speed, with their special attack following shortly after, followed by physical attack. This leaves them slightly weak on the defensive side of things - but they are fast enough to outrun most things that will attack them. The line's final form acquires Dragon-type characteristics.

002-MiatoFireStarters2009.jpg

Sunkyd, the Flare PokéMon
Type: Fire
Ability: Firestorm (1/4 of damage inflicted by Fire, Grass and Steel moves is healed)
Evolutions: Sunkyd -> Cablaze (Lv. 18) -> Helioryx (Lv. 34)
SUNKYD playfully prances in open fields, the gold patches on its fur glowing in a soft light of their own. When it is happy, the flame on its tail burns brighter, and the glow of the gold patches intensifies.

Cablaze, the Burning PokéMon
Type: Fire
Ability: Firestorm (1/4 of damage inflicted by Fire, Grass and Steel moves is healed)
When it gallops across plains, CABLAZE's diamond-like horns reflect the sunlight. Its cloven hooves give it an unbreakable hold on any surface, allowing it to scale mountains sure-footedly.

Helioryx, the Firestorm PokéMon
Type: Fire/Ground
HELIORYX's imposing figure has made it both feared and respected among ancient civilizations. In springtime, HELIORYX have been spotted engaged in ritualistic battles with each other. It is believed that these battles are fought over mates.

The Sunkyd line is a physical attacker through and through. Its special attack is relatively low, comparison to his physical attack. Its speed is average - not fast but not slow - and everything else is relatively balanced. Helioryx, the line's final form, attains anthropomorphic qualities which unlock one of its most powerful weapons - the flame blades on its arms, which are comparable in their strength to the more conventional Flamethrower attack.

003-MiatoWaterStarters2009.jpg

Jawsea, the Fin PokéMon
Type: Water
Ability: High Tide (1/4 of damage inflicted by Water, Fire and Ice moves is healed)
Evolutions: Jawsea-> Sharclaw (Lv. 16) -> Riptide (Lv. 36)
Because of the shape of its body, JAWSEA is somewhat clumsy on land. However, in water, it is quite fast. JAWSEA travels in small packs, which allows them to take down prey much larger than they are.

Sharclaw, the Slash PokéMon
Type: Water
Ability: High Tide (1/4 of damage inflicted by Water, Fire and Ice moves is healed)
SHARCLAW, unlike JAWSEA, is more adapted to life on land - however, it still prefers to remain near the water. A solitary hunter, its streamlined body allows it to swim quickly in is in pursuit of its victims. The prey is subdued and torn apart by SHARCLAW's sharp teeth and claws.

Riptide, the Ocean PokéMon
Type: Water/Fighting
RIPTIDE prowls the seas, in search of its favorite prey - GYARADOS. It uses its immense strength and claws in order to hold on to the rampaging POKéMON, until their thrashing breaks their own necks.

The Jawsea line possesses all-around balanced stats - allowing it much diversity in both the physical and special range. It assumes Fighting-type characteristics when it reaches its final form, even though it is a quadruped - mostly because of the way it grapples with it prey of choice, Gyarados.

As you can see, all three of them have the potential to grow into remarkable fighters if raised properly. I will leave you to make your choice of a starter - so you too may begin your journey...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your Firestarters, especially Helioryx. Though at the moment I'm being think and can't remember which antelope you based it on, it's annoyingly familiar (I'm pretty sure it's not a Springbok).

Also, Riptide sounds suitably insane.

Stel, a question. What sort of size is Riptide? I'm just trying to picture this aquatic scrap and the size is a fairly big factor :p

I also love the abilities you chose, a nicer alternative to the usual Boost when at lower HP idea.

Good stuff! :D

Love your PokéDex entries Stel. They are quite brilliant. The sketches of the starters and their lines are also quite amazing. Then again, most of your work is never short of amazing.

And something eating Gyarados. Can't imagine that. Not yet. Maybe over time. When I figure out how a Gyarados can break its own neck, then I can believe.

Either way Ste, the work you posted is awesome, and is nothing short of amazing.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
*Insert Fangirl squeal here* Pure awesomeness, Stel.

I love how you laid the thread out as if the reader is about to start their journey, it's a nice touch and a creative approach. I like Redwood as the 'tree' name of your Professor, it's a nice, slightly rarer name than her counterparts.

I told you how much I loved these starters in chat, they are made of pure win.
I must say, that having read your 'Dex entries, I'd be picking the Grass starter, Ennulithe. His style would completely suit my preferred style of battle, and he looks so awesome to boot.

Symbiosis is a great ability, as are Fire Storm and High Tide. Much better than the likes of Overgrow, in my opinion anyway.
The design of all three starter lines is just epic, and I love the energetic poses they all have. All in all, Stel, methinks you have a perfect region that only you could pull off. Both you and your region are made of win ^^

I'll be stalking this thread!

*chooses Jawsea* KILL DEM GYRADOS!!

Stel, this thread is awesome. I love the way you set it up, just like everyone else has pretty much said. Also glad to see there's finally a Grass\Dragon combo. Consider this stalk'd.

I feel I must put my own two cents in.

A part Dragon type on a starter might pressure people to pick that starter, because of it's final form's dragon characteristics.

That's just me. These are awesome, by the way ^^

I'd pick either Ennulithe, and keep it as Basileaf, or Jawsea and evolve it all the way to Riptide.

Riptide is an awesome name, by the way. XP

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A part Dragon type on a starter might pressure people to pick that starter, because of it's final form's dragon characteristics.

At least it has a 4x weakness like most powerful Dragon-types, and it doesn't sound like defense is its main focus. Makes it less unbeatable. I personally love it, but for the design and not necessarily the typing ^^

Anyways, great to see this finally made, Stel. I really enjoy the comments by Prof. Redwood as you scroll through the post. The new pictures for the Fire and Water lines turned out awesome, too (as you hadn't finished them last I'd talked to you). Very cool poses and detail.

Can't wait to see more pop up in this thread :)

*Huggles a Sunkyd*

Stel, this thread is just utter win. If I had a choice, it'd be Ennulithe or Jawsea, preferably Jawsea, which is saying something because I never really liked the Grass or Water starteres except Turtwing and Totodile.

I love how you did Basileaf's design, I really do adore those leaf crests. Also, like Magpie said, your Abilities of choice are much better than the tradtional Overgrow, Blaze, and Torrent.

And Riptide *insert Jaws theme* hunting Gyarados....I'm assuming this guy is bigger than a Gyarados then? Since most final forms of starters seem to be about human-sized; love the claws marks here too.

*stalkes the thread*

OMFG! O.O *screams like a school girl) This is BEYOND WORDS IN THE HUMAN AND ALIEN LANGUAGES.

*takes Ennulithe from Aura.* or, we could share?

Stel, you have exceeded the "god of drawing" status in my mind. you have now reached "makes my brain explode out of sheer StellarAwesomeness" Everything is completely good, the designs of your fakemon as well as the professor's comments. The dex entries are a win as well.

I don't think I can say any more compliments that haven't been said already...except for *Shocari joins the stalking of this thread.

I love the trainer drawings. They certainly break from the norm.

I would defintely pick Sunkyd on looks alone, as the whole devil/goat/fire thing is amazing. However, I think the stats fit it perfectly!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Nice to see all the interest this thread has generated. ^^

Here's answers to most of the questions that materialized here:

Tatile: Helioryx's horns were based on a combination of multiple goat-based antelopes (such as Markhors), but somehow it developed a bit of Kudu-like quality.

Shado: Katie's right. the Ennulithe line is hardly defensive. Fact is, Iguyana barely has ANY defenses - relying instead on its speed and its ability to outrun most threats. Thing has a higher base speed than a Ninjask. And yet it'll fall to one well-aimed Ice Shard. You may weep now.

LoN, Jet and Chibi: I envision Riptide as being about the size of a very large bear - on the Polar/Kodiak range - and possibly even a little larger. I suppose that they wouldn't target uber-huge Gyarados, but they could give the average size Gyarados a run for its money. Also, Jet. As an answer to that, I'd like you to consider what happens if you bend something a little too much. sooner or later it'll break. Especially when the thing in charge is a spinal column. >>; Gyarados are ridiculously muscular creatures, the power behind their thrashing could theoretically cause damage to their spine. Besides, think that as they thrash, Riptide just holds on stronger with those claws, and blood is lost. Sooner or later, if the Gyarados wouldn't end up snapping its own spinal cord by mistake, the exhaustion and blood loss would do it. >>

Now that I've introduced you to the starters, the professor and the 'playable' trainers... It is time to introduce you to a type unique to the region of Miato, the Crystal Type.

CrystalEnergy.png

Crystal-types are, whilst not on the whole overly common, fascinating to most researchers of PokéMon. When they were first discovered, they were a mystery wrapped in an enigma, containing dualities within them that seemed clearly impossible - for how could an element be so perfectly arranged in the physical way that its greatest influence would be within the spiritual range? However, as time went by, we became able to answer at least a few of the questions on this fascinating type.

Crystals form a perfect balance - coherent purity of form to the point in which essence is even more greatly affected. The practical implication of which means that, even though their physical nature is perfectly arranged, they draw their strength in attack and defense from what became known as the Special stats (Although, with the latest 'type split' phenomenon, this is somewhat of a moot point by now). Given their unique structure, Crystal-types are resistant to most mind and chi based attacks - even to the ancient, mystical spirit energies of Dragons. Ghost-types seem to be an exception for reasons unknown - it is assumed that their negative chi is capable of being channeled through them - not with ease, nor with difficulty.

What can be said about the nature of Crystals-type attacks, that cannot be said of crystals themselves? They can bend light, creating illusions, yet they can be like prisms - shattering the illusion of white light and showing the colors within. A duality of clarity and refraction - which seems to have a devastating effect on those who manipulate shadows, or seek to cloud the minds of others. It seems, however, to be much less effective when dealing with the less ambiguous and more earthy elements, such as Poison, Ground and Grass.

A diamond may cut through steel, yet hit a diamond with a steel hammer and it shall shatter into fragments. Another interesting duality which characterizes the Crystal-types' relationship with Steel-types. Also, Crystals are still mineral - and so, they are as equally vulnerable to Grass-types as common rocks are.

To summarize:

Weakness: Steel, Grass
Resistance: Dark, Psychic, Dragon
Super-Effective VS: Dark, Psychic, Ghost, Steel
Not Very Effective VS: Grass, Ground, Poison.

I must cut this post short now, but there will be more later.

*Claps* Bravo! Wow, you're ideas are creative and amazing looking. And the combinations of types you used, and the abilities are also very creative. I like how you made the Professer a girl for a change. I would love to see more Pokemon, and maybe even a map of the region. Good job, and keep up the good work! ;D

EDIT: Hmmm... I looked at you're Crystal-type, and I thought of a couple other types - Sound, Time, and Light! ;D What do you think?

Fascinating! This new type is uber fascinating indeed, StellarWind. The Crystal type sounds very unique, and the weaknesses actually make sense, unlike the Fighting vs. Ice of the canon.

What, are the punches supposed to shatter the ice?

What Pokemon of Miato have this typeage?

Dear God! I don't think my mind can handle anymore of your Uber-Awesomeness! Crystal-types seem to be on my new "Must Have" list of Pokeymen.

I would love to see a Crystal-type in your next post...as long as I don't faint from witnessing extremely amazing pictures.

My only question is: what will Stel think of next?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Nice introduction to Crystal types, Stel. As mentioned before, your explanations of weakness and strengths make a lot of sense and are well thought out. As a fan of Crystals and minerals (I have a huge collection of semi-precious stones and fossils), I'm really liking this new typing...

I can't wait to see your 'official' posts of some of the Crystal types you showed me in chat ^^

Holy hell, Stel. (Heh, that rhymed.)

This Crystal type, it's AMAZING!!! Do indeed wnat. Leik, now.

I love how your mind works.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
No, this isn't the epic post I promised but it features something which will give you something to look forward to.

EpicWisteriark.jpg

Meet Wisteriark, a third evolution stage Grass/Crystal-type PokeMon. The specifics shall be unveiled at some point...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... That thing is too epic for its own good o.o

Love the detail on the vines, how you did the wings, and that head. Such a cool creature... Nifty as heck crystal armblades ^__^

Great work, Stel XD

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
*Head asplodes*

I am in complete awe right now. I would definately get myself a Wisteriark and a Riptide. I had considered either Ennulithe or Jawsea, but it would not make much sense to have two Grass-types on my fictional team now would it.

*Joins everyone else in stalking Stel*

My God, you really are such an amazing artist. I've always loved how exceptionally
life-like and believable you make sketches look. Your attention to detail is phenomenal.
I still say you should put together some sort of pokemon field-guide with all of those realistic sketches someday. ^__^

All of the fakes here are fairly original and well-thought-out, I like them.
I'm not sure though, are you actually trying to stay within the "pokemon" design,
because Wisteriark doesn't look much like a "pokemon".
It's beautifully drawn, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't give that "pokemon" feeling.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Nancel - Do I... know you? Your tone of text suggests familiarity, but I'd rather not make assumptions.

I despise the term 'fakes'. I prefer the term fanmade PokeMon. Fake seems to suggest bootlegging, or like I'm trying to pass them off as real. >>; As for the comment about the designs - I should like to point out that PokeMon's 'style' keeps changing. When Blaziken was revealed all these years ago, there were people who doubted it was a PokeMon, and even those who accepted it as one were pretty certain it was a legendary. Gen 4 was also rather different when compared to previous generations. I don't think there's a unified "PokeMon" feeling to the PokeMon designs - especially when my style distorts them.

Anyhow. Another revelation: I give you the eight badges of the Miato region!

MiatoBadgesCompilation.png

From left to right, First row and then second row.

Onyx City's Eclipse Badge, Quartz City's Star Badge, Lapis City's Jewel Badge, Malachite City's Jungle Badge, Amethyst City's Labyrinth Badge, Topaz City's Eon Badge, Obsidian City's Wing Badge and Sapphire City's Maelstrom Badge.

Who hands these badges out? What do they train? Stay tuned...

Allow me to start back at the beginning, just for a moment-
Holy hell Stel, those starters are amazing.
And I'm so glad that the fire type is my favorite, because otherwise it would ruin my favoritism-streak :V
But in all serialness, I love the Sunkyd line, it goes straight from adorable to badass to HOSHI-
:3
And, of course, any grass-type pokemon you design is awesome beyond words, and Ennulthe and its evolutions are no exception. I love the leafy mane and the- you know what, I don't even know. Just win |3
And, even though I'm never too partial to the game's already existing sharks (mehhhh sharpedo) Riptide is badass and I love him :B I love that you twist pokemon into a realistic style and make them just that much more wicked.

Now, Wisteriark... my gods I must have one/know what he evolved from/ have one :<
The wings, the mane, the tail.... Just
need/want/need D|

And these badges.... They're just stunning, I never knew you were so handy on a smaller scale as well :V
The designs are stunning, I really love the complexity of the Labyrinth badge, and the Star badge too it's sooooooooo prettyyyyyyyy
And
I know the Jungle Badge must insinuate a grass-type leader
so I'm reallu anxious to see what you've got to show usssssss :V
neen
You're just amazing ilu :D

Wisteriark, I thought it was your Ivy dragon form persona. Epic fail on my part XD
It's a piece of awesome

Those badges are awesome Stel ^^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ladies and Gentlemen.

I give you...

The Region of Miato in all its Glory. ^^ (Click the thumbnail to see the full thing.)

I'd imagine a gradual revelation of all gym leaders will follow - but first, allow me to introduce you to someone you will be seeing multiple times during your adventure...

Miato_Rival.jpg

The rival, a girl named Lyn, is the heir to a rich, demanding family who is traveling alone to escape pressure from them. She is cold and aloof to other humans and generally speaks little, but she deeply cares for her PokéMon. She is highly intelligent and emphasizes strategy over strength. As such, battles with her will be no easy feat…

In addition to the rival, in some point in your journey you will be challenged by a trainer which is not your rival. That is the Mystery Trainer — either Mint, Aidan or Cyan. S/he has picked up the third starter PokéMon, meaning his/her identity changes depending on your choice. After defeating him/her, s/he will not challenge you again to a scripted battle, but instead will be found in various locations on the world map. Upon talking to him/her, you can choose to challenge him/her again. They may earn you items if you defeat them.

MysteryTrainers.jpg

Mint - A girl with shortish green hair, a white, buttoned T-shirt that exposes her stomach and long, loose green pants with a plant design running along them. She will start with Ennulithe - and will appear if you started with Sunkyd.

Aidan - A male with spiky red hair, a goatee, black shirt with a gradiented fire symbol and dark blue jeans. He will start with Sunkyd - and will appear if you started with Jawsea.

Cyan - It is never specified if he/she are male or female - they are very ambiguous looking and their body is concealed by a cyan travel cloak. He - or is it she? Will start with Jawsea - and will appear if you started with Ennulithe.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Wow Stel... just wow. That map is amazing. The detail and the design is incredible, and I love the deep, crystal-like colours you've used. They go very ell with the names. The ocean and the clouds look great and I'm loving that compass, but most of all I love how you haven't gone for the 'traditional-looking' Pokemon map and have done a map completely in your own wonderful style. 'Tis just so epic!

And for once a rival that deeply cares about her Pokemon. I like the designs for all of your trainers, especially the three mystery trainers. I just adore how their clothing corresponds with the element of the starter they'd have. That's why I like your art, all the details and thought that goes into everything. Awesome job

Holy moly! This is just too epic for me (shouldn't be posting here at all...). I love your drawings, not only those posted here, but also those in other threads. I've decided to love Jawsea and its evolutions. Somehow I always fall for the water types...

As for the map and the trainers, I stick with my earlier statement; this is just too epic for me. The map is staggeringly wonderful because it differs from all earlier maps. And its simply beautifully made. You just gotta love Aidan. He is just too cool. I wish I looked like that! I... I simply ran out of words. Don't stop the epic flow!

Nice, the idea of mystery trainers is very unique. I like their design. Mint has to be my favorite, due to the vines on her pants. However, because I would start with Jawsea, I would see Aidan instead. They're all really well drawn, too.

Wow. Miato is gorgeous. It's extremely varied, which I'm sure would add interest to navigating the game.

I like the idea of The smooth, sleek style both characters and Pokemon are giving off - It's almost like giving the series a more mythical theme. Anyway, keep on being artful Stel - I'm liking the work.

...That Map is amazing O_O

I like the idea of an archipelago for a region. (Miato -is- an archipelago, right?)

I'm speechless.

(I now wonder what's on Rainforest Island, is it the Miato Region's Safari Zone?)
Stel should make a standalone game featuring the Miato region (Not licensed by nintendo =V) *is shot for suggesting that*

Wow, Stel, I am so sorry that I didn't comment here sooner.
I'll start from the beginning since I haven't posted here at all yet. Your starters, Stel...AMAZING. I can almost see the thought process of it all, and all of them are linked wonderfully. Which one would I pick? I probably COULDN'T pick.
I love the concept of the crystal type, but I'm a little confused. A Crystal type Pokemon would have better Special stats than normal stats?
The badges, of course, are amazing, again. My favorite one is The Quartz City's Star Badge. Lovely.
The map is awesome, and I like how all the names of the areas relate through stones. Great idea.
Another great idea, no, epic idea is that where you have an alternate third mystery trainer. I can't believe that Nintendo didn't do that first. I love that. Can't get over it. So many aspects of the story you can control.

Overall, awesome work. I'm loving it, and will definitely be back. And, if you don't mind, I would like to give my hand a try at spriting some of your trainers and Pokemon because I want to try to get my Pokemon-game-style shading perfected.

I just checked this all out right now and I have to say EPIC! Wait no not epic, but LEGENDARY! The Badges and the region is what struck me the most, they look so great. Overall, well done I'd love to see more from you.

I somehow managed to miss the map when it was put up, and I must say, nicely done.

However, the only thing running through my head right now is how much the map itself reminds me of Weyard.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Right. I haven't updated this thread in far too long, and I've been planning to save this update for the Gym Leaders, but due to circumstances beyond my control being that I am a lazy fuck and I don't have the energy to color them all quite yet I decided to feed you guys a critter again.

Dragonair_AltEvo.jpg

This is what Dragonair evolves to when exposed to a Crystal Shard. It is a Dragon/Crystal type, which sports the new Dragonflight Ability - an ability which boosts the power of own-type moves when hit by a damaging ground move, while evading the damage they'd normally cause. Kids, don't attempt to Earthquake a Miatoan dragon. That would only piss it off.

:O

*gasps*

This is one of your best yet. It's beautiful, but deadly, an awesome combination. The jewels on it and the tail are gorgeously defined.

Feathers=win

*Has a heart attack*

......................Nice you killed him with your epicness......BTW this thread is officially stalked by Rent...Happy Birthday! :D

Stel, I have nothing else to say that hasn't already been said. Your sketches of these Pokemon are truly amazing. The crystal type is an awesome idea. I can't think of anything that is super effective against something and yet weak against it too excluding Gen I. It's cool to bring that idea back.

I also love the idea of new abilities for the startes. Blaze, Overgrow, and Torrent have already kind of gotten old even though they were just introduced last Gen.

Your badges look sweet. What program did you use to make them? I think they are stellar. Can't wait to see more, Stel!