• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Semi-Official Project Miato Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Redwood_Colored.png

Hello, and welcome to the Miato region! My name is Professor Erin Redwood - and around here, I am considered to be the leading researcher in the field of Pokémon.

What are these mysterious creatures, you ask?

AnimeStarters1.jpg

Pokémon are creatures that have co-existed with humans in cooperation that has lasted for many an era around the world. Some people keep PokeMon as pets. Others test their skills and their Pokémon's skills on the field of battle.

However, just as Pokémon hold our fascination, they also hold many mysteries - and it seems like every one we solve brings forth even more, more difficult mysteries. That is why researchers like myself are constantly on the front line of discovery - in laboratories or out there, observing them in the wild. I am always up for both.

But enough about me... What can I do for you?

MiatoTrainers.jpg

Ah, new trainers, just starting your journey, are you? Well. I'm sure you'll be interested in information about the Pokémon available as starters for new trainers. Allow me to tap into the GPDS and introduce you:

1-Ennulithe.png

Ennulithe, the Lizard Pokémon
Type: Grass
Ability: Symbiosis (1/4 of damage inflicted by Grass, Water and Ground moves is healed)
Base Stats: 58 HP, 50 Attack, 50 Defense, 52 Special Attack, 50 Special Defense, 55 Speed. (Total: 315)
Evolutions: Ennulithe -> Basileaf (Lv. 16) -> Iguyana (Lv. 32)
ENNULITHE's vivid green coloration changes with the seasons to fit the color of the trees and grass it hides in. In colder areas, ENNULITHE's scales become white as the winter snow around it. When they do, it seeks a warm place to spend the winter in.

2-Basileaf.png

Basileaf, the Agile Pokémon
Type: Grass
Ability: Symbiosis (1/4 of damage inflicted by Grass, Water and Ground moves is healed)
Base Stats: 65 HP, 55 Attack, 35 Defense, 85 Special Attack, 35 Special Defense, 130 Speed. (Total: 405)
BASILEAF is extremely swift and energetic. If a river or a lake stands in the path of a running BASILEAF, it will run across the water without difficulty. The distinctive three crests on its head, back and tail have inspired many myths.

3-Iguyana.png

Iguyana, the Rainforest Pokémon
Type: Grass/Dragon
Base Stats: 90 HP, 90 Attack, 30 Defense, 125 Special Attack, 30 Special Defense, 170 Speed. (Total: 535)
Highly attuned with the rainforests it lives in, IGUYANA's camoflage is nearly perfect when it is hunting. In spite of its large mass, its powerful limbs propel it forward at amazing speeds.

The Ennulithe line is perfect for those who like to strike hard and fast. They excel in speed, with their special attack following shortly after, followed by physical attack. This leaves them somewhat weak on the defensive side of things - but they are fast enough to outrun most things that will attack them. The line's final form acquires Dragon-type characteristics. Their signature move is Wing Ivy, a Power-95-Accuracy-100 Special Grass attack which has a 5% chance of lowering the opponent's primary stats one stage.

4-Sunkyd.png

Sunkyd, the Flare Pokémon
Type: Fire
Ability: Firestorm (1/4 of damage inflicted by Fire, Grass and Steel moves is healed)
Base Stats: 57 HP, 65 Attack, 53 Defense, 30 Special Attack, 53 Special Attack, 57 Speed. (Total: 315)
Evolutions: Sunkyd -> Cablaze (Lv. 18) -> Helioryx (Lv. 34)
SUNKYD playfully prances in open fields, the gold patches on its fur glowing in a soft light of their own. When it is happy, the flame on its tail burns brighter, and the glow of the gold patches intensifies.

5-Cablaze.png

Cablaze, the Burning Pokémon
Type: Fire
Ability: Firestorm (1/4 of damage inflicted by Fire, Grass and Steel moves is healed)
Base Stats: 68 HP, 80 Attack, 70 Defense, 42 Special Attack, 70 Special Defense, 75 Speed. (Total: 405)
When it gallops across plains, CABLAZE's diamond-like horns reflect the sunlight. Its cloven hooves give it an unbreakable hold on any surface, allowing it to scale mountains sure-footedly.

6-Helioryx.png

Helioryx, the Firestorm Pokémon
Type: Fire/Ground
Base Stats: 85 HP, 135 Attack, 85 Defense, 45 Special Attack, 85 Special Defense, 100 Speed. (Total: 535)
HELIORYX's imposing figure has made it both feared and respected among ancient civilizations. In springtime, HELIORYX have been spotted engaged in ritualistic battles with each other. It is believed that these battles are fought over mates.

The Sunkyd line is a physical attacker through and through. Its special attack is relatively low in comparison to his physical attack. Its speed is average - not fast but not slow - and everything else is relatively balanced. Helioryx, the line's final form, attains anthropomorphic qualities which unlock one of its most powerful weapons - the flame blades on its arms, which are comparable in their strength (Power 95, accuracy 100) to the more conventional Flamethrower attack.

7-Jawsea.png

Jawsea, the Fin Pokémon
Type: Water
Ability: High Tide (1/4 of damage inflicted by Water, Fire and Ice moves is healed)
Base Stats: 59 HP, 56 Attack, 47 Defense, 56 Special Attack, 47 Special Defense, 50 Speed. (Total: 315)
Evolutions: Jawsea-> Sharclaw (Lv. 16) -> Riptide (Lv. 36)
Because of the shape of its body, JAWSEA is somewhat clumsy on land. However, in water, it is quite fast. JAWSEA travels in small packs, which allows them to take down prey much larger than they are.

8-Sharclaw.png

Sharclaw, the Slash Pokémon
Type: Water
Ability: High Tide (1/4 of damage inflicted by Water, Fire and Ice moves is healed)
Base Stats: 70 HP, 75 Attack, 60 Defense, 75 Special Attack, 60 Special Defense, 65 Speed. (Total: 405)
SHARCLAW, unlike JAWSEA, is more adapted to life on land - however, it still prefers to remain near the water. A solitary hunter, its streamlined body allows it to swim quickly in is in pursuit of its victims. The prey is subdued and torn apart by SHARCLAW's sharp teeth and claws.

9-Riptide.png

Riptide, the Ocean Pokémon
Type: Water/Fighting
Base Stats: 95 HP, 95 Attack, 85 Defense, 95 Special Attack, 85 Special Defense, 80 Speed. (Total: 535)
RIPTIDE prowls the seas, in search of its favorite prey - GYARADOS. It uses its immense strength and claws in order to hold on to the rampaging Pokémon, until their thrashing breaks their own necks.

The Jawsea line possesses all-around balanced stats - allowing it much diversity in both the physical and special range. It assumes Fighting-type characteristics when it reaches its final form, even though it is a quadruped - mostly because of the way it grapples with it prey of choice, Gyarados. the line's signature move is Tidal Rage, a Physical Water Power-120-Accuracy-100 move that inflicts damage for 2-3 consecutive turns but leaves the user confused.

As you can see, all three of them have the potential to grow into remarkable fighters if raised properly. I will leave you to make your choice of a starter - so you too may begin your journey...

Last edited by a moderator:
Those starters are amazing! I love the fire starter, oh gosh I wish it was real xD

The grass and water lines only just miss out. Is there any chance I could have all of them?

I like the contrasting style of the two protagonists. I prefer the male one's design, but they both look awesome.

Jawsea, Jawsea, Jawsea, I would choose Jawsea! :D Riptide reminds me a bit of the proto-whales that used to have legs.

Now, what is Professor Redwood's area of study?

I think here the lack of shading works. It makes your art seem like a mid-nineties coloring book. :D

Secad said:
Jawsea, Jawsea, Jawsea, I would choose Jawsea! :D Riptide reminds me a bit of the proto-whales that used to have legs.

I agree~ Riptide is so badass XD The thing effing attacks Gyaradoses. Gyaradosi? Whatever.

Although I really like Iguyana too... Decisions, decisions ♥~

Oh goodness, it's back; and looking as awesome as ever ^^

I do believe I have repeatedly mentioned that the Jawsea line was my favorite of the three starters, but seeing Iuyana now in full color makes me want to double-take my decision. Well, they're all rather amazin, really. But Iguyana and Sharclaw are my favorite critters. I, of course, am looking forward to seeing the entire Miatodex, and those lovely gym leaders of yours in color as well.

Yay :>

I love how thought out your region is. Everything makes sense, moreso than some official Pokemon things. All your starters are awesome. I love how you can see them in a cute way, but also in a kick-your-ass way. I'd probably choose Ennulithe because his final evolution is the coolest thing ever. Although I do love Sunkyd.

I like how your designs are detailed, but not way too complicated. It works nicely.

SOMEONE GET ME THAT GOAT BEFORE I TAKE IT MYSELF! *ahem* I absolutely love the fire type starter, and would so choose it. I also like the Boy Hero. The abilities are much better than Blaze Torrent and Overgrow, seeing as they give back HP for non-effective moves. Keep up the good work StellarWind!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

Spanning two major landmasses (North and South) and various small islands scattered around them, Miato is very climatically diverse - From the icy Northern Tundra through the pleasant highlands and temperate climes of the more central areas, tranquil forests, mountain passes laden with snow, deep caverns, valleys of mineral-rich azure rocks, the great Jeweled Desert with its many secrets, and richly-grown rainforest islands.

The first human settlers in the region in the modern era (for indeed, there are signs of ancient, advanced civilizations that have existed there aeons before) were thinkers and scholars who were weary of strife and conflict erupting around them and sought to find a place where they could live in at least some semblance of peace and harmony and share their ideas and theories with each other freely. In time, the region became a haven for free thinkers, artists and followers of these concepts. The People of Miato have a deep respect for the balance, science, creativity and accessibility of information and knowledge to the masses, allowing advancements in technology to be readily available for the masses, all the while making sure that balance is preserved.

Miato's native people are also distinguished by a soft, strange accent, reminiscent vaguely of the Terran 'British' accent, though with various variations.

Miato provides a comfortable breeding ground for species that are considered rare or even nearly extinct in other places of the world - for example, Eevees are a rather common sight in a few routes and pods of Lapras roam the icy northern oceans freely. The many different climates provide a home for many different species, some unique to the region, whilst others may be found - with varying degrees of abundance - in other regions.

However, in one particular thing Miato is truly unique - the existence of Crystal-type PokeMon.

CrystalEnergy.png

Crystal-types are, whilst not on the whole overly common, fascinating to most researchers of PokéMon. When they were first discovered, they were a mystery wrapped in an enigma, containing dualities within them that seemed clearly impossible - for how could an element be so perfectly arranged in the physical way that its greatest influence would be within the spiritual range? However, as time went by, we became able to answer at least a few of the questions on this fascinating type.

Crystals form a perfect balance - coherent purity of form to the point in which essence is even more greatly affected. The practical implication of which means that, even though their physical nature is perfectly arranged, they draw their strength in attack and defense from what became known as the Special stats (Although, with the latest 'type split' phenomenon, this is somewhat of a moot point by now). Given their unique structure, Crystal-types are resistant to most mind and chi based attacks - even to the ancient, mystical spirit energies of Dragons. Ghost-types seem to be an exception for reasons unknown - it is assumed that their negative chi is capable of being channeled through them - not with ease, nor with difficulty.

What can be said about the nature of Crystal-type attacks, that cannot be said of crystals themselves? They can bend light, creating illusions, yet they can be like prisms - shattering the illusion of white light and showing the colors within. A duality of clarity and refraction - which seems to have a devastating effect on those who manipulate shadows, or seek to cloud the minds of others. It seems, however, to be much less effective when dealing with the less ambiguous and more earthy elements, such as Poison, Ground and Grass.

A diamond may cut through steel, yet hit a diamond with a steel hammer and it shall shatter into fragments. Another interesting duality which characterizes the Crystal-types' relationship with Steel-types. Also, Crystals are still mineral - and so, they are as equally vulnerable to Grass-types as common rocks are.

To summarize:

Weakness: Steel, Grass
Resistance: Dark, Psychic, Dragon
Super-Effective VS: Dark, Psychic, Ghost, Steel
Not Very Effective VS: Grass, Ground, Poison.

~*~

The northern sub-region is, for the most part, rimmed with two long ridges of mountains - Tiger's Eye Ridge to the west and Azure Ridge stretching over to the east. Tiger's Eye ridge's terrain is generally earth-toned, several mountains brighter than others - while special mineral sediments within the rocks of Azure Ridge (and the valley which is rimmed by it, known mostly as Azure Valley) give the rocks a strange blue, crystalline tint. The two ridges meet at Hawk's Eye Pass, creating an interesting geological formation of blending minerals. The pass is the only relatively safe path beyond the ridges and into the frozen northern tundra beyond.

Dominating the peaceful northeast of Miato, south of the Azure and east of the Tiger Eye ridge are highlands that slope down gradually into plains, and on the edge of the highlands, where they finally slope down into the plains, is Jade town - where your journey begins. Jade Town is a smallish town, known for its green roofs and the Redwood Research Facility, home to a long line of researchers who bear the Redwood family name. This is where you will receive your starter - though the professor herself may be away on fieldwork. In the case that she is, one of her assistants would gladly take her place in giving you one.

But wait,who is this?

MiatoRival.png

Her name is Lyn. She is the heir to a rich, demanding family - and she travels alone to escape their pressure. She is cold and aloof to other humans and generally speaks little, but she deeply cares for her Pokémon - the first of which will be the starter of the type super-effective against yours. She is highly intelligent and emphasizes strategy over strength. As such, battles with her will be no easy feat...

Squeeee~!! Love the region~ So beautiful and diverse, and the concept behind it is so wonderful ♥~ And Crystal type brings an excellently balanced type to the world~

Also, the rival design is awesome. Although I'd probably lose terribly to her because I'm horrible at strategy XD

Yay! Accent info. I love how you describe what it sounds akin to. As for the region design itself, I think it is interesting. Due to the difficulties of living, say, in the tundra, are there fewer people there, or have they colonized the area enough to attract other people?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hey. Hey. "Stole?" Sunkyd's been around since 2001 or so, although the line had a few modifications over the years.

And a ton of people have made fire goats since. I do not take kindly to allegations of theft. So I would suggest you don't roll your eyes at me unless you want to lose them.

Now that that is out of the way.

Allow me to introduce you to two PokeMon which - along with Mareep and Oddish - will be the first wild PokeMon you may run into in the region of Miato...

10-Triinu.png

Triinu, the Canine Pokémon
Type: Ground
Ability: Run Away (Enables certainly getaway from wild Pokémon)
Base Stats: 50 HP, 55 Attack, 45 Defense, 70 Special Attack, 45 Special Defense, 65 Speed. (Total: 330)
Evolutions: Triinu -> Triyote (Lv. 18)
The distinctive triangular markings on TRIINU's forehead, shoulders and flanks appear black to human eyes, but have some degree of ultraviolet iridescence varying between individuals. TRIINU are nocturnal, spending daytime in burrows.

12-Solardove.png

Solardove, the Little Bird Pokémon
Type: Grass/Flying
Ability: Chlorophyll (Boosts the Pokémon’s Speed in sunshine) or Light Absorb (Recovers 1/16 of the user's maximum HP at the end of each turn when it is sunny).
Base Stats: 48 HP, 51 Attack, 38 Defense, 51 Special Attack, 38 Special Defense, 50 Speed. (Total: 276)
Evolutions: Solardove-> Floravis (Lv. 16) -> Flowehawk (Lv. 35)
While SOLARDOVE's small and cute appearance tends to mislead its enemies into not taking it seriously - When it is attacked, It will fight bravely to defend itself. It absorbs sunlight using the antennae on its head.

Triinu and Solardove are awesome <333

First of all, I love the Grass/Flying type combination on Solardove. Its design is really cool too. You don't too many yellow Grass types which is a shame since it works so nicely. The antennae on its head is a cool feature also :>

Triinu looks all fast and stealthy and I want one ♥ The ultraviolet light thing is cool too. And the fact that it's nocturnal is also pretty sweet :}

Also I envy your ability to draw branches. I can't wait to see more of Miato ♥

Lovely little bird idea, very different from the typical fanmon. I can see them being very good songbirds.

Mareep and Oddish? Awesome. Vileplume is one of my favourite Pokemon and the Mareep line is so cuuuute.

Triinu looks awesome. I like the idea of it being ground-type instead of the usual normal. I can't wait to see its evolution.

Solardove is a nice change from the slightly derpy looking regional bird. It looks much more badass, and has an awesome idea behind it. It also has a great colour scheme and I like those claw wings. I bet its evolutions will be awesome.

These are absolutely brilliant! The choice of Mareep and Oddich is very nice and seems a welcome contrast to the serious design style you have giving Miato more variety and colour.

Just a small thing with Sunkyd and Triinu, is it just coincedental that they both have triangular marking near their hind legs or is it going to be some kind of recurring theme throughout your quadrapedral mammal-based Pokemon? If so, it will be a nice little thing that brings together some Pokemon in the region with diverse origins.

Also, the idea of Crystal-Type is also very cool and I can't wait to see the kinds of Pokemon that will have it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
French Toasta: pure coincidence. Sunkyd's markings are meant to evocate the sun (you may notice the little triangles around the triangle, similar to the ones on the more circular marking on its forehead) Triinu was actually based on the spacefiller sprite for generic fuzzy creatures in Generation 2, which had a triangular forehead marking. xD

The path of the journey from Jade Town winds down into the plains and steadily progresses southeast. Note that while the map denotes plains, the area isn't vast expanses of grass and very little else. Occasional little streams and ponds, rock formations and trees dot the landscape in various areas. Eventually you will find yourself in the first City of the game: Onyx City.

Onyx City is one of the smaller cities of Miato - just a little more than a town. Its roofs are deep blue, to the point of black - and its most prominent features are the Onyx City Trainer's School and the Gym. A bit more elaborate than the trainer schools seen so far, Onyx City's Trainer School offers more in-depth information regarding various aspects of the game - including but not limited to type advantages, general information regarding the history of the region, various PokéMon species, etc.

1-Raven.png

The Onyx City Gym specializes in Dark-type Pokémon, opens at night and at night alone – for creatures of the night are at their best when it’s actually night outside. Raven, the gym leader, will bestow the Eclipse Badge upon those who defeat her.

But wait, what is this creature that stands by her side, her Murkrow perched on its head? It looks a lot like Triinu, no?

11-Triyote.png

Triyote, the Coyote Pokémon
Type: Ground/Dark
Ability: Serene Grace (Doubles the chance of a move's secondary effect kicking in)
Base Stats: 70 HP, 85 Attack, 70 Defense, 115 Special Attack, 70 Special Defense, 90 Speed. (Total: 500)
Evolutions: Triinu -> Triyote (Lv. 18)
Opportunistic hunters, TRIYOTE prowl about in small, vaguely organized bands in search of prey. Though their numbers have been rising as of late, it is still more common to hear a TRIYOTE than to see one.

Triyote are special-attack biased creatures which (at later levels than the one Raven's is) learn to harness the power of Tri-Attack and Earth Power. Pretty impressive for something that evolves from something found so early, is it not?

Lastly for this particular post, here is another species you may run into relatively early (though not on the first route) and its evolutions - as well as the very first potential Crystal-type you may encounter~

15-Leorva.png

Leorva, the Aphid Lion Pokémon
Type: Bug
Ability: Shield Dust (Negates the secondary effects of moves used against it)
Base Stats: 45 HP, 75 Attack, 45 Defense, 50 Special Attack, 45 Special Defense, 50 Speed. (Total: 310)
Evolutions: Leorva -> Puprism (Lv. 15) -> Berylace (Lv. 26)
From the moment a LEORVA hatches until the moment it pupates, it is continuously on the move in pursuit of prey. They are a voracious predator of small bug-type POKéMON. As such, they are highly valued by farmers as a form of biological pest control.

16-Puprism.png

Puprism, the Gem Sphere Pokémon
Type: Bug/Crystal
Ability: Shed Skin (This Pokémon has a 30% chance to recover from any non-volatile status condition every turn.)
Base Stats: 60 HP, 80 Attack, 55 Defense, 70 Special Attack, 55 Special Defense, 60 Speed. (Total: 380)
Inside its cocoon PUPRISM grows and changes in preparation for its evolution. The pupa is made of crystalline thread which gives PUPRISM the ability to dazzle potential threats.

17-Berylace.png

Berylace, the Clear Wing Pokémon
Type: Bug/Crystal
Ability: Tinted Lens (The power of any moves that the Pokémon uses that are "not very effective" against its targets is doubled)
Base Stats: 75 HP, 85 Attack, 70 Defense, 95 Special Attack, 70 Special Defense, 95 Speed. (Total: 490)
BERYLACE use vibration as a form of communication - and BERYLACE from different regions use different frequencies. Their brilliant green coloration and iridescent eyes and gem spheres lead BUG-type enthusiasts to consider them the "Emeralds of Entomology".

Berylace has a special attack bias too, utilizing various moves such as Bug Buzz and Air Slash as well as several new Crystal Type moves. The first Crystal-Type move the line learns is immediately upon evolution:

Dazzle (Crystal, Special)
Power: 40, Accuracy: 100, PP: 30
Single-Target. Does not make Contact.
The user reflects focused light at the foe. It has a 50% chance of lowering the target's accuracy.

It will also learn two other Crystal Moves by level, at least:

Mirror Wind (Crystal, Special)
Power: 60, Accuracy: --, PP: 20
Attacks all foes in range. Does not make Contact.
A prismatic vortex of crystalline dust. This attack cannot be evaded.

Prism Wave (Crystal, Special)
Power: 95, Accuracy: 100, PP: 15
Single Target. Does not make Contact.
Entwining beams of refracted light. Has a 10% chance of lowering the foe's Defense and Special Defense stats.

Holy Arceus, a crystal type? A fox tat learns tri attack? A very powerful attack called prism wave? You are very imaginative and a good artist. Good job. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bloody hell. I really, really love what you did with Leorva's line. It's downright gorgeous. O_O

Not bad stats overall either. I'd really enjoy raising a Pokemon like that. ^_^

I'm liking the stat spreads on many of these guys, and Triyote is adorable. So many choices. Miato would kill me with the choices! XD

Your love for insects shows well here, you put so much detail in these little gems. I love the color variation from the larval stage to the final stage. Also quite interested in the crystal typing.

Triyote looks awesome. And it's available so early on! I also love the bug/crystal line, particularly Berylace. It looks so majestic and cool :D

Dark type gym leader? *Checks for flying pigs* Murkrow in the game early on? Yesssss. Will dusk stones be available soon after?

It's clear a lot of thought were put into these Stel, even though the coloring is mostly flat. The drawings are well done and thought out, not to mention the concepts as well.

So, Leorva would be similar to the Beedril and Butterfree lines considering it's evolutionary stages?

I also like the idea of a Gym only being open at one time of day as well. :>

Status
Not open for further replies.