• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The PokeWalker

Do you still use your PokeWalker?

• No, I never got a PokeWalker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm done with it now

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Yes, but only as a pedometer

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes, I still use it to level my Pokemon, catch new ones, obtain items, etc.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, I never got a PokeWalker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm done with it now

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Yes, but only as a pedometer

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes, I still use it to level my Pokemon, catch new ones, obtain items, etc.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
It has been a little over a year now since the global release of HeartGold and SoulSilver and, by association, the PokeWalker. With Generation V now firmly upon us, I was curious as to whether or not you all still use the PokeWalker and if you do, what for. I ask because when I was playing with mine the other day, a friend remarked that it was "so last Generation" and that he had already moved on.

Personally, I still use the PokeWalker to grab any Pokemon I might still be missing in my SS Pokedex, but mostly to acquire rare items and Berries. I also like the pedometer aspect of it because I just love to walk. Accordingly, I've walked 3,948,806 steps in 375 days, though I have still yet to reach my ultimate goal of 20,000 steps in a single day.

So what about you, members of PokeCharms? Are you still playing with the PokeWalker, using it as a pedometer, or have you simply cast it aside from either loss of interest or because it's out lived its usefulness? You may also include your step count if you so wish.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I voted "No, I'm done with it now", but technically that is not true. It's not so much that I'm done with it, but that I lost mine and never bothered booting up my second PokeWalker.

I loved the concept of the device and the fact that you could obtain some really unique Pokemon through it, but it's kinda true re: the Gen 5 thing. Now that the new games and new Pokemon are here, I don't have much motivation to connect my second PokeWalker to SS and keep trying for the rare Pokemon. At this point I'd rather put out a trade request and see if anyone has a spare of the Pokemon I'd like. :X

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I have a much better pedometer in the form of the 3DS. Whatever value the Pokewalker could have had past the initial novelty stages is certainly dead now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly use mine as a pedometer now. Every once in a while I'll connect it back to SS, but that's becoming rarer and rarer. I still like carrying it around though. In fact, I don't even feel complete if I don't have my Pokewalker in my pocket and I still get geek points if I pull it out and someone sees it lol.

Also the 3DS seems a wee bit bulky to be using as a pedometer.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Lady Carmen said:
also the 3DS seems a wee bit bulky to be using as a pedometer.

Not really. It's no bigger than a DS lite, so it'll fit in pockets pretty easily. I've haven't been without mine at all since I got it last week - and it hasn't been off since, either. The temptation of the Street Pass features is just too great to ignore - and the pedometer stuff is a nice bonus on top of it (especially since you earn play coins through it).

Ultimately, it's far more useful in that function than the Pokewalker ever was. For one thing, you don't need to hike for several miles to accumulate enough steps to be worth anything half decent.

Oh right. I forgot that men's pants typically have roomier pockets. I can barely get my phone in my back pocket let alone a 3DS. Safe to say that I won't be using the 3DS as a pedometer. Besides, it's hilarious that the Pokewalker reminds people of the old Tamagachis.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Putting anything in your back pocket is a fantastically bad idea anyway. :x That's why there are two on the front! :)

Perhaps, but I can't really fit anything bigger than car keys or the Pokewalker in my front pockets. Not to mention you'd have a tough go of getting my Evo out of my back pocket--especially if it has a case on and I have my headphones in. Not that I often keep stuff in my back pocket anyway because it makes sitting very awkward.

I clip my Pokewalker to one of my pockets now and again, if I remember. There's a (colossal) Anorith in it right now |D

And on the subject of pockets: The only reason I resort to using the back pockets for carrying things is because the front pockets of female jeans are ridiculously tiny. It's rather annoying D:

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I haven't really used mine recently, aside from shoving my Kingdra for the Alphabet Soup Tourney into it to try and raise its happiness. I wanted to teach it Draco Meteor. Aside from that, I can't say I can remember the last time I used it properly.

As of Gen V, and like Alex said, with the 3DS having its own pedometer, I don't think I'll have much use for my PokeWalker for the foreseeable future.

Meh, I'm pretty much done with my pokewalker... I used it once... and I wasn't really attracted to its features.... HOWEVER... The Legendary Hamsters(Suicune, Raikou, and Entei) in HG are giving me problems, considering they hate quickballs and ultraballs, that maybe enough to convince me into recommissioning my pokewalker so I can get some timerballs that will be useful when I arena trap them... But even then, timerballs via pokewalker are kinda rare...

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Lady Carmen said:
Oh right. I forgot that men's pants typically have roomier pockets. I can barely get my phone in my back pocket let alone a 3DS.

For guys it also depends on the contents of our pockets. I personally designate my left pocket for my wallet, cellphone, and keys while my right pocket gets my water bottle (in case I get thirsty) so I have no space left for a 3/DS. Unless I wear my one pair of cargo shorts which have two more pockets on the legs, but that only works this time of year when it's warm. Luckily all my jeans have a small side pocket that is just big enough for the PokeWalker to fit :)

Nick Fury said:
Putting anything in your back pocket is a fantastically bad idea anyway. :x That's why there are two on the front! :)

The only things I ever put in my back pockets are scrap pieces of paper that I don't care if they get destroyed and I won't feel when I sit.

I still use the Pokewalker, and yes, Psycho, I have gotten 20,000 steps in one day, and even more than that. That week, I went to Disney World and walked around 25,000-30,000 steps a day.

I use it to slowly get my Ferligatr up to Level 100. In my opinion, the whole 'calls' for the rematches are irritating, and there's no convinient 'Battle House' or whatever for easy leveling. I also use to it get items, and now that BW is out, I shall use my extra Pokemon as fodder for the PokeTransfer.