• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The MUK factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been creating a team out of Pokemon that I am particularly fond of, but Muk is where I get stuck in a rut.
With the knowledge that Muk can slam foes with its attack, and has a solid Sp. Def, that is what I am planning to work off of.
So, here is my go at a move set for him/her. Critique it, please?

Muk @ Black Sludge
Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atck)
252 Hp, 126 Atck, 126 Sp. Defense
Poison Jab
Brick Break
Explosion
Shadow Sneak

I had a few ideas, and this was my first. Poison Jab (accuracy) or Gunk Shot (power)? Personally, Focus Blast has never let me down, but the PP is the real turnoff. Brick Break is for general coverage and the lack of a fighting-type move. Curse would be for an attack boost, while also boosting his/her defense, while Explosion would be for that last-resort hit. It's not like he/she's going to hit anything first, anyways. Shadow Sneak is for that oomph against psychic-types. Strikes first, is upped by his strong attack, doubed by super-effectiveness. What's not to like?
My idea with the EVs was to max-out attack, and also spread them evenly throughout the defenses. His/her Sp. Defense is already colossal, so it won't take a blow by having less EVs, but his Defense is sub-par. It could use the boost!

So, what do you all think? Please critique what I have here, as I put a lot of thought into it!

Edit: I changed the move set around because of critique and newly desired attacks. I kept the descriptions because they helped my reasoning.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Those both look really good...

Shadow Sneak is a must for Muk... with its speed.
I'd lean more towards Poison Jab... when you take into account the Accuracy and PP, it isn't worth the risk.

I'd also say that Brick Break would be a better Idea than the Substitute/Focus Punch, so that you can have room for another attack... If using Substitute/Focus ends up going back and forrth every turn, you won't be dealing anymore damage than if you just used Brick Break twice in a row... though substitue has other uses too.

for the forth move, consider Acid Armor... I can't say I'd pick it over Curse/Explosion, just think about it as well... Muk's attack is already high, so using Acid Armor just once near the beginning can prove effective... getting AcidArmor out twice will even offer decent protection from Earthquake.

Muk has a good base stat for HP, so its sub-par defense is balanced out ok.
Hope I was helpful in some way ;)

you have skill for assembling good movesets.

Thank you! I'll take that into my mind.
Anyways, I might just have a Baton Pass Umbreon. ;D
Wish and Curse? Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Personally, I think maxing out the HP stat is priority for any Pokemon that is to take lots of hits. Then split the EVs between it's Desired Attack and Defense stat. I'd also put more towards the Defense side than the attack side. Also, I favour the point of Muk being able to take something down with it with Explosion than get an Defense Increase that wears off if you switch.

Hey there, Plapti! Always to the rescue, eh? I guess that is your job, though. (:
Anyways, that is a very appealing idea, right there. I suppose Muk would be a special defender, seeing as its special defense is its stronger one. Therefore, would: 252HP, 126ATCK, and 126SP.DEF be more suitable?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
One suggestion I'd make is that Muk can learn Haze via breeding. If you can find a spot for Haze in your moveset, it's definitely worth putting in to stop those stat-boosting Pokemon from powering up and killing you.

For EV's, I went 252 HP, 252 Def and 6 Sp.Atk on my Weezing. This may not be appropriate for Muk though, since my Weezing can use Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split as damaging moves, plus Weezing has much less HP than Muk so he needs the extra defenses. I'd say anything between 252 HP, 200 Sp.Def and 52 Atk and 252 HP, 126 ATK and 126 Sp.Def would be suitable.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Haze. If I remember right, then it isn't possible to have both Haze and Shadow Sneak, since they're both egg moves with no common "parent." Shadow Sneak is just far more useful to Muk than Haze would ever be.

Well, I just started breeding off Grimers with Shadow Sneak and Curse. I was unsure of what to put.
Therefore, I'll probably keep the move set I have posted above. Thank you all for your help!
( How do I get explosion? ) ( I can check my book. My bad. )

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Explosion is TM 64... sorry if you were actually asking where to get it, I don't know that one...

I did some math to see whether it was actually better to EV train for HP or DEF/Sp. DEF... in all cases, the Muk I used below had all 15 IVs, was level 100 and had a Quirky[neutral] Nature. The attack in all cases, had a power of 90 [after STAB etc.] and the pokemon, an attack stat of 300.

If the Muk had no EVs in defense, but 252 in HP, with all of the above true:
Muk's Defense would be 170
Muk's Sp Defense would be 220
Muk's HP would be 398

A physical attack with the power above would do 135 damage, at the most (33.9%)
A special attack would do 105 damage (26.4%)

If the Muk had no EVs in HP, but 252 in Def and Sp Def, with the above true:
Muk's Defense would be 233
Muk's Sp. Defense would be 283
Muk's HP would be 335

A physical attack with the power above would do 99 Damage (29.6%)
A special attack would do 82 (24.5%)

If the Muk has 170 EVs in HP, Def, and Sp. Def with all of the above true
212 DEF
262 Sp. DEF
377 HP

Physical would do 108 (28.6%)
Special would do 88 (23.3%)

My point with this was that I think it would be best to evenly divide the non-Attack EVs among HP, DEF and Sp. DEF

PM me if you want me to calculate any more of those, such as with your choice of EVs... I don't want to overflow the thread with anymore

In case you wanted to know...
To get the explosion TM you'll have to complete 10 uninterrupted bonus rounds in the Veilstone Game Corner. Good Luck!

I praise you, Ruko, for all the handywork! I really see how evenly spreading throughout HP, SP. DEF, and ATCK would be very beneficial! You are a HUGE help!

And, Carmen, I believe Muk learned to explode by itself. Ha ha, that sounds hilarious. I'll check back, but thank you, again! That'll be hard. I'm horrible at the new Slots. X)

EDIT: Or maybe I'll just swipe a Weezing and breed for Explosion. XD;

Muk can't learn Explosion via level up but it is one Grimer's egg moves. But if your Muk already knows it then just disregard that.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
EDIT: Or maybe I'll just swipe a Weezing and breed for Explosion. XD;

If you were serious here, don't...
Shadow sneak is far more useful than Explosion.

Muk doesn't learn it by level up, as it sounds like you found out

[edit]
I have an Explosion TM, if you would like it PM me.
with the TM you can focus on breeding Shadow Sneak, while not having to give up explosion if you really want it

My Wi-Fi has been down for a while. Modem asplosion. :(
Can female pokemon pass down egg moves? If so, I already have a shadow-sneak grimer female.

Nope only Males can. So you'd need a Male Pokemon of the Same Egg group that is male and knows the move you want.

Well, darn! Is there any other desirable move that could be replaced with Explosion? It seems as if I'll have no luck getting it if a female Grimer cannot pass down Shadow Sneak. :[

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
You can catch Banette, Duskull, and Spirtomb all in Diamond and Pearl...
all three of which learn Shadow Sneak and breed directly with Grimer/Muk.

you'll need a friend to get Spiritomb, Radar for Duskull, and nothing for Banette[though it only appears at night]

if you don't know how to catch Spiritomb, don't bother.
Banatte can be caught on Routes 225 and 226, as I said at night only.
Duskull has a very slim chance of appearing with the Radar at route 224

so you can still get Shadow Sneak... I'd suggest going for Banette, then move tutoring it back on, or breeding for a male shuppet, and raising it until it learns it.

So, could this work?:
Breeding Weezing with Dusklops for a MALE Duskull. Getting both Explosion AND Shadow Sneak, and then breeding it to get a Grimer with both?

Duskull can't learn Explosion. so the chain won't work. You have to teach Explosion by TM 64. There's no other way to do it.

Oh, joy. Suppose I'd better get that Amulet Coin and save my money for the slots.
Thank youa ll for your help! I believe that's all I need, 'less there are any last comments.

The slots aren't that bad. If you lose too many times on one machine, just move to another. Once you get Clefairy on your screen, its basically a matter of luck to get ten bonus rounds.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Don't forget that you can replace Explosion with something else...

Temporarily if nothing else, since you are getting the TM. Raise the Grimer with a different move in place of Explosion for now. Then later when your Wi-Fi is working again, you can get it from someone (if by then you haven't already gotten the TM yourself).

you are probably aware of this already, but when you play the slots, just save beforehand, and everytime you make a good profit too. then if you run out, reset.

P

PokeRad

I am sending in two move sets:one for annoyer and one for proper battles:-
Muk(annoyer)@lum berry
acid armour
rest
explosion
sludge bomb

Muk(battler)@your choice
shadow sneak
sludge bomb/poison jab
flame thrower
thunderbolt/giga drain

take your pick.

Okay, just cause you posted two movesets with no absolute relevance, especially, when I believe the topic's creator has found a good moveset. Also, some reasoning why those moves should be used should be added. Please edit your post or I will fix it for you.

Also Proper Battles are what kind of battles? A proper Battle could be anything. Also, it doesn't help that most of your moves run off of Muk's horrible Special attack stat. His Attack stat is way better.

Thank-you very much.

-snuggle Plapti- (:
What would you suggest in place of explosion? I bred my Grimer (still trying to get the Careful-natured one) with Curse AND Shadow Sneak, but I have no need for curse. Wish/Curse Umbreon will be for that. Baton Pass, anyone? But I think I'll also have an Azumarill.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
What was your moveset going to be with explosion?

I still think Acid armor is a good choice, but if you want an offensive move... Payback might be nice... it won't offer much more coverage than Shadow Sneak, but will be more powerful even if it doesn't activate.

other than that... Memento isn't as useful as explosion in most cases, but may work. if you even get it to level 65 ^_^:

My move set, with explosion, would be:

Poison Jab
Brick Break
Explosion
Shadow Sneak.

And my second idea, now, is, well, I don't know. Acid armor and Memento stick out the most. However, Screech could be interesting, too.

I'm guessing that's all that is needed of this topic. PM me if you have more question about Muk, otherwise, I'm preventing some SPAM. *Locks topic to keep Spam down.

Status
Not open for further replies.