• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The most annoying things

I don't think there's been a topic about this...I think I may have simply said this somewhere else.

Three words: the bike music.

It is simply annoying in every generation. Fr/Lg was the worst. The most annoying thing about it is that in D/P it's hard to simply "go off the route" to get rid of it (stupid gates). The Surf music isn't much better, but it's tolerable.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
One major thing about D/P that annoyed me is Surfing. I could not get over how DAMN SLOW YOU MOVE WHILST SURFING!!! To make matters worse, there was no way of going faster! Finally, to make matters even worse than that, there was none of this stupidness in Generation III - in those games you could Surf at a very good speed. I certainly hope the clown who decided slow surfing was what the people wanted was promptly fired.

Another major issue I have with D/P involves Battle Tower. The amount of Double Team spammers you get when battling NPC characters is infuriating - they may as well say on entry "Oh by the way, bring a Phazer or a Pokemon with a never miss attack, because we're all Double Team spamming cheeseheads over here!" Doesn't make for a good way to test your Pokemon out really, especially for those who play under Evasion Clause since they won't even see Double Team in a proper battle against another player.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I find the tone of the story a little irritating sometimes. It's always about how wonderful you are. I just find it a bit cheesy. I'd like to have a game where you can kinda choose how you are, like evil or good. That would be interesting, although I'd probably be good, so what I've just said is pointless :p

I also find it annoying that the pokemon still have a theme when they come out of the pokeballs - surely the games now have the technology to make them say their names. I'm sure Pikachu said his in Yellow.

Surfing annoys me too. And the snowy route where you walk even slower than surfing. Thankfully you don't encounter the snow or marshes often...

What I found annoying is that the bike music is stupid, surfing is slow,
that glitch that makes you go in the walls (you know the one that if you
go in the wall you lose your data. Well if you didn't know that one it happened to
me.) and the one I really hate is more or less the game but more of the other
players. In the Wifi battles people can use hacked Pokemon! That's stupid how
you can do that. That defeats the purpose of the game. You're not training the
Pokemon it's just horrible!

The most annoying thing?

That has to go to the hail and the snow on the way to Snowpoint City. Being pelted by hail for 5 turns, something I can deal with. Being pelted with endless hail isn't fun. So annoying.

Walking in that snow, no bikes and you'd move soooo slow. IT took me at least an hour to get to Snowpoint City.

Basically, I just don't like snow in general.

That would be the snow. They COULD at least try and make it realistic. Most of the time people don't slog through snow at 2 mph. >>

The MARSHES are a pain. Most of the time, I get myself unstuck then, SURPRISE! I'm stuck when I take the next step.

Walking in that snow, no bikes and you'd move soooo slow. IT took me at least an hour to get to Snowpoint City.

Forget the bike, in some places you can't even run.

[quote author=ShadoPikachu link=topic=4273.msg58480#msg58480 date=1210015994]
The MARSHES are a pain. Most of the time, I get myself unstuck then, SURPRISE! I'm stuck when I take the next step.
[/quote]

As annoying as the things are, they do add a realistic edge to the game. So I like them, despite the sheer irritation. But the slow surfing is something I can't accept. I guess we should be fortunate that there are only a few places that require surfing. Imagine if that was Hoenn. ~shudders~

I guess we should be fortunate that there are only a few places that require surfing. Imagine if that was Hoenn. ~shudders~

O_O It would take someone maybe an HOUR to get from Lilycove to Mossdeep then.

I also hate the bike music. It isn't all that great.
[quote author=Reina Carmen link=topic=4273.msg58484#msg58484 date=1210016839]
As annoying as the things are, they do add a realistic edge to the game. [/quote]

Getting your self to the top of a Swamp and going to the bottom with the next step is Realistic?

As annoying as the things are, they do add a realistic edge to the game. So I like them, despite the sheer irritation. But the slow surfing is something I can't accept. I guess we should be fortunate that there are only a few places that require surfing. Imagine if that was Hoenn. ~shudders~

I totally agree with carmen on this part.

The most annoying thing, I think is the low level of the trainers whilst some wild pokemon have higher levels in the same area (like WTH!?, you'd at least expect trainers to train their pokemon xD).

However, I do not get annoyed by places like the marsh and the route to snowpoint. I think they are a good change of pace in the game, they add some realism and some interesting area's.

I hate that trainer with the six Magikarp in EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. And all the Magikarp do is Splash. I was training a Starly with those Magikarp once and I cannot tell you how sick I was afterwards of seeing "The foe's Magikarp used Splash! But nothing happened!"

I can't believe no one has said this yet.

WILD POKEMON! They are so annoying an unrealistic. First, the pokemon appears verrrrryyy sssslllllooowwllyy. Then, you send out your OWN POKEMON! I mean it is so stupid how you send out your pokemon for no reason. And this all takes like 15 seconds and there is a lot of wild pokemon.

I can't believe no one has said this yet.

WILD POKEMON! They are so annoying an unrealistic. First, the pokemon appears verrrrryyy sssslllllooowwllyy. Then, you send out your OWN POKEMON! I mean it is so stupid how you send out your pokemon for no reason. And this all takes like 15 seconds and there is a lot of wild pokemon.

Well maybe no one has said that is cuz it's the point of
the game. Yeah it's slow and some battles are for no reason
but it's kinda the whole point.:3

slow surf kills me a lil inside everytime. Not being able to just forget HMs... I really dont see the point to giving them a bad side :S fog weather sucked and Defog sucked even more >.> ummm lets see...

Bike music was pretty bad in most gens, oh and most of all:

Catch rates on wild pokemon, and honestly I include legendaries here. If its a 1 HP, asleep and you had to pass 30 somthine ultra balls to get it...its gone beyond challenging to just plain bad.

I hate how when your pokemon, a wild pokemon, or your opponent's pokemon has an ability like drizzle or intimidate, and it takes sooooooooooooo looooooonnnnnngggggg to go through all the little scenes. It drives me crazy!!!

I am yet to play D/P or even own a DS (getting one soon)

But one thing that kind of annoyed me was the fact you can't catch fainted wild pokemon, I mean in the anime the pokemon they catch are usually completely fainted and then they catch it... being all happy about it, sadly we apparently don't deserve that.

A very minor thing but in R/S/E it drove me nuts with Prof. Birch saying "my kid may, likes to help sometimes, my kid may is a trainer, and so on. Is it really that hard for Nintendo to program "He" or "She" instead of "My kid May/Brendan" after the first time.

That and Steven in Emerald when you find him in his "end game cave" says Thanks for all your help earlier at the "SOOTOPOLIS SPACE CENTRE" The space Centre was in Mossdeep Genius... *Ends rant*

I think its annoying how in diamond and pearl your rival picks after you pick its like *you*ok ill get piplup *rival*ok ill get chimchar
(it sorta can compell you to annihalate the guy in future battles!)

I think its annoying how in diamond and pearl your rival picks after you pick its like *you*ok ill get piplup *rival*ok ill get chimchar
(it sorta can compell you to annihalate the guy in future battles!)

Really? In every other game in the past the Rival always picks what you'll be weak against, how strange maybe it's random what the rival picks now.

Whoops i put in a typo :-[

Yeah, it's just like any other Pokemon RPG, Xiraiya. Your rival gets what your starter is weak to as always. That can be annoying at times, but it adds challenge and by the second time you challenge your rival, you'll have a Pokemon that can take his starter.

Oh ok, I just noticed in a screenshot there is a typo in Pearl where it says "you obtained parlyz heal" shouldn't it be Paralyze? I guess that's kind of annoying haha.

It's been that way since the R/B/Y days as far as I know. No clue why. Maybe the names for the medicines had to have a certain number of letter or fewer or something (I'm guessing ten or less). I would think they would have changed it by now, but I guess not. Just like Awakening. Awakening what? I also stick potion at the end of it for some reason.

Ah yes, I just checked on Emerald, hmm it's strange how I never even noticed that haha.
It's not so Obvious in the 3rd generation games probably because every Item, Trainer & Pokemon is shown in capitals, but in D/p it just looks strange in Lower case haha.

Slow Surf. No explaining needed there.
He/She thing. I mean seriously, the game knows what gender it is, why can't the text change? Just bugs me.
I can't believe no one mentioned the retarded sound when you're Pokemon is gonna faint. But I think it probably goes without saying.​

What i think is funny rather than annoying is that when the professor is asking are you a boy or a girl and your standing in front of him i also thinks its funny how professor oak forgets Gary's name in red and green and classics.

i also thinks its funny how professor oak forgets Gary's name in red and green and classics.

Haha yeah, what kind of grandfather forgets his grandsons name? I guess he doen't care about Gary much, not with the attitude he has anyway.

Event pokemon is the biggest Annoyance, cool Idea but considering only around 30% of players worldwide have access to those Nintendo events it is just stupid.

Gameshark came in handy on Emerald for Faraway Island, navel rock etc.

I'm not a cheater, I just think it's unfair there is a mew and deoxys etc. hiding in the game and I can't get to them without cheating, still legit pokemon so cheating for the needed tickets is as far as I go with gameshark.

I had my fun with gamesharks back in the Red & Blue days...

Have any of you noticed that some Pokemon sounds seem similar. For example Girafarig and Porygon2. Their sound seem so similar. Porygon2's voice is just lighter. And another is Charizard and Rhyhorn. again Rhyhorn is lighter. Isn't that weird. Well maybe they are not very creative.^^;

what i think is annoying is that you cant get Darkrai (he is being released at participating toys r us's ) +rumor+ and how you cant get shaymin( srry if spelled wrong i cant remember how you say his name) apparently its a glitch when they were redoing the japanese version into the english one cuz u can still get cresselia.

P

PokeRad

the surfing in D/P just makes me go crazy.The person who thought it up should be hanged.
Then there were the marshes. Not only did they annoy me , they were also a totally useless addition to the game.
Then do you remember the cutscene before you recover Palkia/Dialga ? It took at least fifteen minutes to get over in my computer >:(

Then there was the awful music >:( >:(

and let us not forget the snow.I just wish that there was a way in which a fire pkmn cud melt it.

Lets see...The Magicarp thing is REALLY annoying but what always got me was the SLOW walking pace....half the time the character has to get to the next town before they can run(ie. Fire red, you have to beat Brock THEN go to mt. moon and get the running shoes). I was thrilled when we could run in buildings in DP. As in, I put the game down and jumped around the room "We can run inside! we can run inside!" they really need to work on the pace more.

The caves are also annoying as heck, I mean i've made it to the end of the cave only to be forced back when I learn I don't have the right HM moves like Rock smash or something. With the blizzards I couldn't see a thing but it didn't take an hour for me to get there. The marsh was a different story though, getting stuck every two steps and then having to battle wild pokemon every step of the way!

S

Shocari

Surfing...sucks. So does battling 6 Magikarp that don't provide a challenge or EXP. The snow was horrible too: 2-3 routes of it! Plus Snowpoint! Come on, snow in a town/city is just being cruel.

Taking forever to get running shoes in FR/LG was horrible too. The bike and surf music suck almost as much as the slow surfing. Nintendo needs new people who don't want to tick us off.