• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Megaman games

Haven't really seen any kind of Megaman (or Rockman as I prefer to say) topics here. Which is a shame, since it is such a great game.

Anyhow, lets get this thread started with speaking of our favorite Rockman-serie, that way, it will be all loosen up a little, maybe letting us speak of more than just our favorite serie.

My favorite serie, is the one I've played the most of, Rockman.EXE (Megaman Battle Network). Even though most of the more experienced mostly goes with the X-series, though, to bad, I have only played the 7th installment of that serie, while in Rockman.EXE. I have actually played at least a little on every single one. And I believe that Rockman.EXE is much more easier to create a fan character, which is always fun to do in series. And another reason I may like Rockman.EXE better is that it is classified as a RPG, and I'm more comfortable with RPG than Action as the other series mostly are.

But enough of my thought, up to you!

Battle Network is AWESOME! ;D

I only have the 3rd one, white version, though.

Still, the game is a lot like Poke'mon in its addictiveness, and since it has different versions for each game, at least since the third one. It also has a lot more similarities, although much smaller ones.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I approve of Rockman-ness. Even though I'm more of a fan of the actual timeline as opposed to silly spinoffs like .EXE and Ryuusei... Even though .EXE has its moments. ^^

I only played the first .EXE game and lost interest very quickly. Like... Sometime after the FireMan.EXE battle >> It may have to do with the fact that its battle interface is tactical-based, but it's more likely because navigation was... meh, at best. I hear the plot gets more awesome later on, but I couldn't bring myself to stick around for long enough to enjoy it.

I'm more fond of the main series timeline (Rockman Classic -> Rockman X -> Rockman Zero -> Rockman ZX -> Rockman DASH) as far as plot is concerned, especially the X series. Dark but not insanely so.

*claps and gives mikuba a taco*Finally!Someone made a megaman topic!I never played anything outside of the battle networks 3 white and 6 gregar.Man,that fight with bass sp was HARD.

Mega Man is definitely in my top list. I've got X, X2, MM2, ZX, and I had Z3 for a time (Thats not counting roms though). While I initially was opposed to the Z series, it's actually grown on me, especially with the addition of ZX. I can't WAIT for Advent to be released. EXE is the only MM series I just cant stand. I play MM to play a platformer, not some weird rpg.

I play MM to play a platformer, not some weird rpg.

Yes, I believe that most Rockman-players play it like that. But still (please don't take it personal, I'm not really saying anything against you), I myself have pretty much problems with platform games, still, I really wants to play original time line Rockman. Though, I believe that the alternative time line (EXE, Ryuusei), was made for those like me, having problems with platform, but none with RPGs. And besides, RPG is also a very huge and popular genre in the game world. Maybe Capcom thought of that, I tried to reach out to the RPGers, it certainly worked for me. Even though my first Rockman was Classic 1&2.

Anyhow, taking the advice from Stellar, I will try getting this topic on-going with more questions.

1. Where did you first hear of Rockman?
2. Which was you first Rockman?
3. Do you prefer to say Rockman or Megaman, and why?
4. What do you think of the whole collection of Rockman-games that Capcom has made?
5. Which specific game do you like the most, and why?
6. Which specific game do you unlike the most, and why?
7. Which series do you think deserves most respect?
8. What do you think of all the American names the characters have?
9. How come you're still playing Rockman?
10. Which character (from the different series) do you like the best?

My answers:
1. I'm pretty unsure how I actually got in contact with the world of Rockman. I really haven't been a Rockman-otaku for very long, maybe about two years. Though, I believe it was when I bought a 160 in 1 game in Philippines, and in it, there were two Rockman-games.
2. My first Rockman was actually the very first and second one. I don't really remember which I started playing on first, but I do know it was them.
3. At first, I just thought he was named Megaman through the whole world. But when finding some Rockman-roms, I got to new his actual name. And when I got to know Rockman was from Japan, I decide: "Man, I need to call him Rockman, since that is his real name."
4. Whoa...! It have sure gotten big after over 20 years, I can't believe they have more imagination to create more games. I would never thought of it all.
5. Ooh...Specific game. Very hard since I haven't played many of them. Though I think I have to say Rockman.EXE 6, due to the fact one of my very favorite characters at all is in that very game.
6. Even more harder, all the games have been entertaining for me as much as I have played on them. Though, if I'm now forced to, I have to say Rockman Xtreme. But I believe the reason why is 'cause the version I have played was with Swedish text, and we have three more letter than English, and they have dots and such over, the letter. I know, it is a ridiculous reason to hate a game, but I did make a choice.
7. Actually, I think it is either Classic or DASH. I dunno why, but I've heard that Legends is a pretty good game. Too bad there is no continue, since it seems like it have been interrupted in the middle of something.
8. It feels like I asked myself a personal question. Some names, I'm really bothered by. For example: How does Blues turn into Protoman? Sure, I believe the reason why is 'cause he was a prototype, wasn't it so? But Forte and Bass? Gospel and Treble? Yes, I always complain to myself that America ruins most things, good things like anime and games and such. Please don't slaughter me Americans.
9. Still playing? I have only been playing for about two years. But the reason why, is because I want to have experience from all the series, and also not from playing it as roms. I really wanna know what it feels like to play it on the actual console. That is why I continue to play Rockman.
10. Okay, I have, as I have said before, not played many, though, I often pick a favorite from just arts and such. So I do have favorites from most series. Classic; Oh, that was a little bit hard, most characters doesn't really have a personality, and since I have only played 1&2 of the classic, it is even less. Though, in most fan fics, I believe due to them, Crashman goes as favorite. X-series; Oh, only played one, X7. And I've seen some people complaining over Axl, though, I can't complain over him. But I believe I like Zero more. Zero-series: Oh, here is one that I picked for appearance! Harpuia, I liked him very much, though, I don't know a thing about his, except that he can fly. ZX; ...doesn't even know peoples names, but I will probably buy it, since it is available i stores here in Sweden. Legends; Yet again, appearance. Glyde, though, I did read his information at wikipedia, and he seems pretty interesting actually. But I dunno, I might hate him when I'm finally am playing it. EXE; Easy one... Kenji from the sixth game. The prosecutor, I really liked him, he was so happy, and evil. I love happy looking evil guys. Ryuusei; No, not anyone, have only seen little of the anime.

Okay, over to you.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Well, let's answer your questions, then. ^^

Rockman was always there, a vague reference in the back of my mind, back from the days where bad NES ripoffs were all the rage and bad cross-system ports of Contra and Rockman were all over the place. I only got into it later on though. MUCH later. ^^;

That's a good question, really. I think the first game I actually played into was Battle Network, aka the first .EXE game - a friend of mine got heavily into the series, and she kinda dragged me with her after a while. My transference into the main plotline was soon after. I sucked at platformers and I still do - but I just like that world for some reason. >>

It doesn't matter to me either way - either works. ^^ I'm partial to the original names as the americanized names often disregard the music puns the original series was built around. >>

4. What do you think of the whole collection of Rockman-games that Capcom has made?

I don't know. I haven't played ALL of them. XD I rather liked the ones I did play, and I can appreciate the ones I didn't, although I know for a fact that I find .EXE to be confusing (the half tactical battle system is irritating after a while >

Classic series, I'll have to go with Forté and Gospel. Sure, He's full of himself and envies Rock way too much, but yeah... Aimable buster, cooler dog-wolf-lion-thing, and I frelling love his fusion form.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorites in the series are

Action:X4,X,and rockman and bass (i love bass)

X i like just as a classic,X4 for being able to use zero....i've never really been a big fan of using rock

Battle Network:Double team DS

That games just awesome...i'd kill to be able to use bass or roll tho ;-;

also liked MMZ,but i havnt played it enough to really say anything about it

Classic series, I'll have to go with Forté and Gospel. Sure, He's full of himself and envies Rock way too much, but yeah... Aimable buster, cooler dog-wolf-lion-thing, and I frelling love his fusion form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was raised on a healthy diet of Megaman X games. I'd have to say I first remember hearing of it when we bought MMX, but I have faint memories of watching my brother play Megaman 3 when I was a kid.

Megaman X. Taught me all I need to know in life:
A. Even if Boba Fett is going to destroy you with his ride armor, you can always depend on a long-haired badass to save you.
B. Being able to charge a shot, dash, and jump at the same time is an art.
C. Just what the crap a Kuwunger was supposed to be.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm usually more about the X series, so I just say X.

No opinion, really. It's great for people that don't wanna buy a NES/SNES/whatever and a crapton of games, but I'm too used to the old controllers for my platformers.

Probably the original MMX. Just the right difficulty level, catchy music, and let's face it: Zero's death (back when we actually thought Zero capable of dying XD) was totally heart-wrenching.
If not MMX, then Command Mission. It was pretty much ridiculously easy, and I kinda guessed the whole Redips/Spider thing from the start, but it had it's charm (read: Marino). Plus it was kinda cool seeing the X series get an RPG.

Probably the entire EXE series. Just... ugh. XD It's not fun for me, and their whole approach to it strikes me as so gimmicky, somehow. "Look! Spunky kid in rollerblades! Anime! THE INTERNET!"

At risk of sounding like a broken record, the X series. No other option.

Well, they spare us the whole "LOL WHY IS RED ROBOT NAMED BLUES" thing. I don't really have an opinion on them, to be honest. XD

How come you aren't? :T

Marino, because badass pink ninja robots with squirrel hair are just that hardcore. And, of course, X, even though he's no longer allowed to be the star of his own games anymore for some reason. Axl, I'm looking at you. *fistshake*

As Megaman, I first heard of him on Captain N: The Gamemaster

Megaman 2 was the first I played, but the first I owned was Megaman 3

Megaman

I like the classic series. Some of the X games are meh, and the EXE and Z series I haven't played.

Megaman 3 - The nostalgia

Megaman X6. It was just overly frustrating.

Classic series.

I prefer them for the most part.

To be honest, I haven't played a game in over a year... When I do, it will probably be Megaman 4 or Megaman X

Probably Gemini Man. Oh, you mean a character that actually DOES stuff? Proto Man.

Mine was Megaman 8. Some peole said the X games should've never been made to be that hard. Lots of the people who made the game said they made the game really hard. Some of them even broke their own controllers playing the game because it was so hard.

Still the Mega Buster with the Charge Shots, gotta love that attack. Too bad there wasn't a Sword Megaman could use, like Zero in the X games.

Edut: Point added: Mega Man X is hard but still is fun. I'd love to actually beat Mega Man X but I'm nowhere near that. Stupid annoyingly low Health bar compared to the bosses.

Mine was Megaman 8. Some peole said the X games should've never been made to be that hard. Lots of the people who made the game said they made the game really hard. Some of them even broke their own controllers playing the game because it was so hard.

Still the Mega Buster with the Charge Shots, gotta love that attack. Too bad there wasn't a Sword Megaman could use, like Zero in the X games.

Edut: Point added: Mega Man X is hard but still is fun. I'd love to actually beat Mega Man X but I'm nowhere near that. Stupid annoyingly low Health bar compared to the bosses.

I'll never really understand anyone who says the X series is hard.I play MM7 and that is hell on earth to me.Every fight seems to be less about dodging and more about knowing the bosses weakness.Also since you lack wall jump and dash theres little room to make mistakes.

X1 i can get to the last sigma stage no sweat (its the final form of sigma that bothers me).X2 and X3 i havnt tried hard enough.X4 i made it to last boss on zero and once again couldnt beat it (could probably now though,same with X1.i was YOUNG back then) the rest i never played because they're on playstation (i played PC X4)

MMX really isnt that hard.Theres a specific order you should go but its still possible to beat nearly every boss (EVEN the chameleon,did it in my latest game) using only your buster.Also some bosses have weaknesses so serious they can't even fight if you have it (Spark mandril ftw!)

The game is even easier if you remember where the armor is,and keep your storm tornado close to you (it will kill ANY enemy you have problems with,except some bosses)

and last,as for the Z saber,in X3 there is a hidden way to get it using a 3rd charge on your buster (however this is near the last boss)

Fun Tip:You can gain Hadoken in MMX1,and The uppercut in MMX2,both of these will one shot normal bosses and 2 shot the final bosses

I'll do the questions now
---------------------------------------------------------
1.I actually saw the animated megaman series as a kid....
2.MMX was the first one i played,MMX4 was the first i owned
3.Rockman,cause his actual name is rock
4.I wanna buy them whenever i get the chance,cause my snes broke.They're worth it
5.MMX,its quick paced,its simple,and its still fun.And the music is just addicting
6.umm...i suppose it would be MM7,which i still like.Its just i enjoy wall jumping and hate sliding
7.the X series,its the only series with a full fledged storyline.MMZ is part of the X series to boot.
8.They work.
9.Because both the normal and battle network games are very quick paced,and seriously make sonic and mario look bad since its more than just hopping on enemies.Also Megaman developed a storyline long before the other two (and even a STORE,you could buy stuff from MM7 to rockman and forte (don't know whether RM&F or MM8 came first,or if MM8 had a store).To top it off in megaman your moves change with every game (cept...course...ure buster)
MM-Bass,he's cool and you gotta love his ego.
MMX-Zero,He's got character (Megaman has always been kinda stale when it came to personality)
Battle Network-Megaman,cause unlike the other megamans he has personality.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not really a Megaman fan - more of an 'acquaintance' if anything - but I've enjoyed what I've played of it in the past.

Probably a rental store XD
I heard of it originally back on NES, and at that time I was a wittle kiddie, so it was either through my brother, a random commercial, a magazine ad... or yeah, just noticed it at a rental store.

Either the first or second on NES.

Megaman. I know Rockman is his original Japanese name, but I first played it in English... so it's Megaman to me. I'll still converse about "Rockman" if it comes up in a conversation, but yeah.

They're good games overall. Megaman has always been a gaming series that I highly recognize amoung others like Zelda, Mario, and Sonic.

Megaman Soccer XD Seriously. As for why, I just found the game loads of fun when I rented it (multiple times) and ended up buying it later on. Playing through the cups and building a team was great because all of the players had their own strengths, weaknesses, and special abilities. Woodman pwn'd for Goalie ^^
Other than what, I remember loving one of the Megaman X games on SNES but I really have no idea which one it was or what it was about. It was fun s'all.

I haven't played enough to dislike any of them really, so I'll pass for this question.

Err... the main series? I dunno. I haven't touched the RPG spin-off series yet so I don't have an opinion on it.

It happens with most translations, so it's not a huge bother to me... Honestly, though? I don't really know most of the changes ^^;

I'm not actively, but I would play it if someone put it in front of me or the SNES games popped up on the Virtual Console. It's just a fun shoot-em-up game. The concept of beating a boss and taking on their powers always appealed to me, too. It was something original way-back-when, and it worked great.

Heh... Actually, I quite like Zero. Not really sure why, but I've always liked how he looked, how he played, etc.

Wish I could give more in depth answers ^^;

I have only one thing to say about Megaman...
PWNAGE.

I really can't remember... I think it was when the Battle Network games came out.

Megaman Legends for the PS1, it was my cousin's game, but I just liked to play around with it.

Megaman, cuz I'm not Japanese.

Kickasstacular.

Megaman Star Force, so addicting, especially since I just pwn at that game. (Wait until Star Force 2 comes out suckahs!)

Megaman Zero, WAY TOO HARD.

Classic, it's the one that started it all.

Err... nothing?

Because I have no life like the challenges and diversity the series provides.

Classic series: Iceman, yes, you heard me. ICE. MAN. He got more appearences in games than most of the other Robot Masters, and he can freeze stuff.
X series: Probably Axl. If not for the double guns and the ability to copy his enemy's form, it has to be his personality. Provides major hilarity.
Legends: Yes, I played the game. Besides Megaman, I have to say the Servbots. So lulz at times. =3
Star Force: Has to be Mega (aka Omega-Xis), his wisecracks are pretty much always funny. XD

1) I was once at a party somewhere and I was invited to play MegaMan 2 (this was back in the NES days).
2) As I said, MegaMan 2.
3) MegaMan, because that's the name I'ved used after all this time...
4) As a whole, I enjoy it. However, I really didn't care for anything from the Battle Network series and so on (counting out the Zero games and ZX)
5) That's a tough one. I'd have to say MegaMan 3-5 were my favorites. I also enjoyed MegaMan X4 quite a bit.
6) Almost any MegaMan game that doesn't have most of its traditional gameplay elements (side-scrolling, 6-8 bosses to choose from, getting bosses powers to use on other enemies)...
7) The original and X series, which seem mostly forsaken by Capcom nowadays. Those were the series' pinnicle in my opinion.
8) Never really thought about it.
9) Because it's fun?
10) Classic/Battle Network: ProtoMan; X: Zero; Legends: Data

7) The original and X series, which seem mostly forsaken by Capcom nowadays. Those were the series' pinnicle in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure they just move onto a different storyline a few years down the line.X i believe was 100 years after original,MMZ i believe was 400-800 years after the last X game,and i think now theres a new series.

They're all sidescrollers,but i don't remember MMZ having boss weapons (though zero has like 4 weapons that can be leveled).That may just be though because i don't use weapons extensively.

The latest one i havn't touched,i know very little of it.

Really MMZ and the new one build on the original and X stories.Only the network series is on a different storyline i believe.

A commercial when like random kids said, "Mega Man! I LOVE MEGA MAN!" xP

MMBN3 I think...

Probably Mega Man. I know that it's Rock Man in Japan, but I'm not from Japan so I prefer to say Mega Man. .-.

Aw man..there have been a LOT of great Mega Man ganes I'd like to try out. It's just that I've just became I fan to the series about 3 weeks ago. I feel ashamed..

Mega Man 3. XD

I haven't played enough to dislike any of the Mega Man games.

The Battle Network series. I've rumors that they are continuing the series on the Nintendo DS. :D

I guess I like the American names more than the Japan names. I haven't heard all of them except Forte and Rock Man.

Because the games are just so awesome. I'd like to play all of them if they were to pop up all around my Christmas tree.

Bass. I like him more than anyone else simply because of his attitude.

K

Kumi

I'm a BIG fan of the Megaman games. They're brilliant. I would reccommend them to anybody who is bored and wnats something to play!

1.Where did you first hear of Rockman?
My friend that was obsessed with it.

2.Which was your First Rockman
Megaman Battle Network 4 Red Sun

3.Do you prefer to say Rockman or Megaman?
Megaman, way more used to saying it.

4.What do you think of the whole collection of Rockman-games that Capcom has made?
I liked almost all of them, Battle Network, Zero, and X were the best.

5.Which specific game do you like the most, and why?
Mmbn6, Falzar is just awesome!

6.Which specific game do you unlike the most, and why?
Megaman Legends, i found them to be kind of boring.

7.Which series do you think deserves most respect?
Battle Network series, they were the best.

8.What do you think of all the American names the characters have?
I like the American names more than the japenesse names.

9.How come you're still playing Rockman?
Because They are some of the best games ever made.

10.Which character (from the diffirent series) do you like the best?
I always did like Protoman and Colonel for some apparent reason?