• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The best virus checker for your money?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have the cash, so I want to buy a good virus checker - keyword "buy". So please, no pirate talk XD

I've been looking at different product ratings online and in stores, but on the surface I can't really notice any selling points that put one virus checker above the other. I know people who use Norton and people who use Mcafee, and both seem to like the one they chose.

A virus checker is all I really wanted, but one of these full system protection packages would be fine, too. I'm just not sure which one to buy. I recently tried out the free trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security (or at least I think it was) and the software pretty well killed my PC. I couldn't do anything while it was running (slowed everything to a snail crawl), and it took my PC at least 10 times longer than usual just to start up properly. I don't want something similar that's going to kill my system because I'll never actually have it turned on.

So, any suggestions? I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the better product, but if most virus checkers are the same, which is the cheapest that doesn't sacrifice the quality?

I really like Norton Antivirus. I use a barrage of things though for total system protection because usually only one thing won't cover everything.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I use Norton as well, although the parental controls aren't exactly my favourite feature... Meh, they're optional. >>" It pretty much covers everything, and yells at you if you haven't updated/scanned for a while, which is very useful for my rather forgetful self.

I used to use tons of other stuffs too, but then I got Vista.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
AVG Free. Better than any crap you have to pay for monthly, it updates itself every morning, runs a check and will automatically quarantine any threats.

I don't see the point in paying for something when there's a free program that'll do the job better.

make sure you download windows defender off the official microsoft site, it also updates itself and performs a scan for whenever you programme it to, even if noone is logged onto the computer.

Norton has always been more hassle than its worth with me, although Panda antivirus isn't too bad.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LOL. You guys aren't making this any easier XD

I currently have AVG (again) and it appears to be working fine, but I was hoping some of these other programs were... y'know... better. If there's really nothing else to them, I might just stick with AVG after all.

Is Windows Defender also free?

I've tried quite a few throughout the years, but AVG is the best one out there imo... Especially if you combine it with spybot S&D