• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Team Build

Okay been gone for awhile but I think I have some good combinations. I'm trying to build a dominating team, so far I only have two, tell me what you think.

1. LickiLicky
HP-120 ATK-136 Sp.ATK-252
Item: Expert Belt
Ability:Cloud Nine
Moves: Flamethower, Surf, Powerwhip, Return/Explosion

2. Nidoking
Sp.Atk: 252, Spd: 252, ? ? ?
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Moves: Thunder, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Earth Power

Edit: Okay I'm making this team to try and counter the weather spam in this gen...I have about 5 friends who use weather and it just gets me angry some times either. So I'm making a team that can either role with it or cancel it out if needed.

3. Eelektross
Item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
156 HP / 120 Atk / 232 SAtk
moves: Grass Knot, Wild Charge, Flamethrower, U-turn

4 Starmie
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
252Spatk/252Spd
Moves: Scald (for the burn), Rapid Spin, Psyshock, Ice Beam

Slots 5/6 aren't filled, just because I don't know what to put there I was thinking Volcarona...but I don't remeber if she's banned, she does go well with Starmie thou. I'm not that good with team building but I'm trying to cover all bases here...hmmm maybe Cloyster? or Castform? What should I change? Fix? Should I switch King and get Queen?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Are there anymore details you can give concerning the rest of your team? I think knowing the other Pokemon you're considering using and whether this is for 3on3 or 6on6 would help you get better responses. I'm assuming this is a Singles team.

Also, Nidoking and Nidoqueen are both very adaptable Pokemon, but one is slightly better for a certain type of strategy than the other. Picking one over the other really depends on the role you want 'em to play.

But off the top of my head... I can see one glaring problem. Hone Claws on a Choice set? That's a big no-no. :x

Okay I added to others...and oops on the Hone Claws that was a giant mistake thanks for seeing that. Also in case your wondering (even thou you didn't say anything) I personally see Lickilicky as a better Cloud Niner than Golduck and Alteria.

Just to say, when you compare their stats in defenses, I think Lickilicky beats out Altaria, who also can obtain Roost through proper breeding, i think.

On the note, a proper weather countering Nidoking generally wants full speed and special attack. With Sheer Force, it can use much stronger moves, as it can benefit from using Thunder (Or Thunderbolt, in case you are not against Rain), Flamethrower (Or Fire Blast; once again, Accuracy preference), and then can round it out with Ice Beam for coverage on all Pokemon, and Earth Power, which gets STAB. They all benefit from Sheer Force, and it's rather effective.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I might as well talk over Eelektross and Starmie in that case:

- Eelektross is mixed sweeper wallbreaker incarnate in singles competition, with enough Attack and Sp.Attack to smack down any wall with a weakness. He can also run Acid Spray with a full special attacking set if he so wishes, amounting to a similar level of effectiveness in a similar way. With no weaknesses, decent bulk and resistance to Skarmory's STAB offense, Eelektross has all he needs to break the walls down. Thunderbolt/Wild Charge and Flamethrower are effective for STAB and dealing with any Steel-types, Brick Break can crush Blissey and Tyranitar, Grass Knot can dispense of bulky Rock or Ground-types handily, and a good choice of Hidden Power can do the rest. U-Turn and Dragon Claw are decent options as well...hard to really pin down one set for this guy, but I've told you what he wants to be doing at least.

- Your Starmie set on the other hand is dreadful. Having Thunder there just to counter rain is stupid when Starmie (A WATER-TYPE IN THE RAIN) isn't likely to be threatened by it anyway and not every team will be using rain, and against such teams you'll have effectively handicapped yourself. Speaking of Water-type, no STAB either? Surf/Scald, HP Fire, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Grass Knot are your best choices for offense, while Rapid Spin can be fit on somewhere if you can manage it (might be worth it) or Recover just because.

Thanks but should I keep King's item as Scarf or switch to Life Orb?

and thanks KoL on the Starmie and Eelektross, I'll fix up Starmie right away.

That's personal preference. On one hand, Life Orb will boost your damage to nicer levels. On the other hand, Scarf allows you to revenge kill and possibly outspeed certain threats using Sand Rush, Chlorophyll, or Swift Swim. You'll likely not outspeed an Excadrill unless it's running a not speed boost nature, but it is useful, as 85 speed is pretty ew nowadays.

Nidoking CAN take a hit, mind, just not a super effective one in most cases, so Life Orb is possible. Despends if you want freedom in your moves, while likely taking damage in the process, or the ability to swiftly knock out a foe, and then usually be forced to switch.

Hmmmm I might switch his item between Scarf and Orb if I get an idea of what my opponent is using before hand.

I also now have a 5 and 6!

5. Quagsire (I personaly love Quag, one of my top favorite mons)
HP-252, Sp.Def-230, the rest in Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Moves: Brick Break/Waterfall/Body Slam, Earthquake, Curse, Recover

6. Vanilluxe
SpAt-252, SpDef-220, leftover into speed
Item:? ? ?
Ability: Ice Body/Weak Armor
Moves: Hail, Blizzard, Body Purge, Flash Cannon