• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Sunny Day Team

This is a team I've been using recently on Pokemon Online. It's been working fine, but I feel it could be a bit better. Any help on movesets, EVs, held items, or even team replacements would be greatly appreciated.

Ninetales@Air Balloon
Drought
Timid
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Nasty Plot
-Hypnosis
-Fire Blast
-Psyshock/SolarBeam

Ninetales pulls out the sun, puts whatever is out there to sleep(either on the switch or not), Nasty Plots at least once, and uses the appropriate move. I've been switching between Psyshock and SolarBeam because I find both to be useful, but lately I've used Psyshock to prey on the low defense of the Special walls that come in on Ninetales.

Sawsbuck@Muscle Band
Chlorophyll
Adamant(Considering Timid, though)
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 252 HP
-Horn Leech
-Megahorn
-Jump Kick
-Swords Dance

I've been able to pull of a Swords Dance set with this guy, and it's been doing very well so far. With Adamant and Chlorophyll, he reaches well over 500 speed, which is quite nice. Horn Leech makes a very nice recovery move, and with a Swords Dance or two, he'll be staying at a healthy amount of HP :x

Darmanitan@Life Orb
Sheer Force
Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Flame Charge
-Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

This guy already hits hard, and with Flame Charge, he hits hard and fast. Fire Punch abuses his ridiculous attack stat while also feeding off of STAB and Sheer Force. Rock Slide is for coverage and SF, while EQ is just generic power.

Jumpluff@Light Clay
Chlorophyll
Jolly
252 HP, 252 Spe, 4 Atk
-U-Turn
-Sleep Powder
-Reflect
-Leech Seed

Not too sure on how Jumpluff should work, but it's been doing great so far. An insanely fast Sleep Powder, I can proceed to then set up Reflect/Leech Seed, then U-Turn to the appropriate counter.

Roserade@Wise Glasses
Natural Cure(wasn't sure which ability to go with here)
Timid
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Weather Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder
-Giga Drain(-__-)

Couldn't really think of what Grass STAB to use, so I went with Giga Drain. I'm sure Toxic Spikes would be good, but I don't know how to incorporate that. Sleep Powder is helpful as always, and Weather Ball takes care of counters.

I had an Emboar on my team, but I just wasn't liking it. So another Sunny Day abuser of some sort would be nice. Once again, any help is appreciated ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If you want to test a team, use Shoddy Battle. You'll find far superior opponents there than what you'll find on Pokemon Online.

- There's not really much point in Ninetales getting Hypnosis when both Jumpluff and Roserade have Sleep Powder. Otherwise, not much to say on it. Psyshock is definitely a better option than Solarbeam here to deal with the infamous pink porker Blissey.

- Jolly for Sawsbuck without a doubt (TIMID!?) - all fast sweepers want Speed-boosting natures with rare exceptions made for anything with a powerful priority move (Lucario's ExtremeSpeed for example.) Note that Skarmory walls him forever though.

- Flame Charge on Darmanitan is useless since Sheer Force negates the Speed boosts. Either that or Pokemon Online's simulators are utter crap (which wouldn't surprise me.) One thing to note is that Flare Blitz is boosted by Sheer Force because it has a chance to burn targets, and is the best option for STAB here. Jolly over Adamant (again)

- Jumpluff is made obsolete by Whimsicott here since Roserade has Sleep Powder already (and Ninetales has Hypnosis if you keep its set the same.) Prankster is too good - fastest Taunt and Encore in the game speak for themselves, and speed priority on Leech Seed AND Substitute is too good to pass up. Stick with Jumpluff if you find its Sleep Powder is too good to pass (because that's the only thing Jumpluff has over Whimsicott) but if Roserade or Ninetales prove just as capable, well...you know what to do.

- LEAF STORM. There's your STAB. Nothing else to say.

Overall, I have to say, besides there being only five Pokemon here, this looks very incomplete. It's basically Ninetales, Jumpluff and three attackers. Half your team suffers Stealth Rock weakness, you're extremely vulnerable to just about everything commonly used should someone shut your sunlight down (which you should expect to happen eventually,) and if the opponent does begin a sweep setup while your sunlight is gone you're absolutely screwed. If you're using sunlight, where's Chandelure and Volcarona? (PO banning Chandelure is retarded by the way.) There's a lot that needs to be done here before this is any good I'm afraid.

...and this is why I say use Shoddy to test teams.

Considering your layout of weaknesses, a sixth pokemon I would suggest is Nidoking. His Dream World ability, Sheer Force, makes all his attacks very strong, and he does well as a special attacker who can cover a sun team's weaknesses. For example, this was the set I used on my own team.

Nidoking @Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Sheer Force
Modest
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP (Not too great at complex spreads here ♥)
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power

It's generally a revenge set, but it can switch in on a few things sun sweepers can't. It has pretty much perfect coverage. Earth Power can shoot down pesky Fire types come to abuse your weather, BoltBeam gets bulky waters and dragons, along with Pokemon like Zapdos who could probably resist you pretty well. And Flamethrower uses the sun boost to its advantage, and can take down Skarmory in one or two hits if you happen to have lost Ninetales. the item choice is your opinion here. I prefer the Scarf, myself, because Nidoking isn't the fastest thing at base 85 Speed, and although he is fairly bulky, I can't vouch how well he would take something like a Chandelure's Overheat to the face.

Although he's not a direct sun sweeper, he can use it to his advantage and cover your team, as I said.

The other Pokemon I may suggest is Venusaur, given that now she has Chlorophyll, she can pretty much use growth once and sweep a team. At the same time, you may want to switch something for her, because your fire weakness is terribly blatant :<

Venusaur works remarkably well too-

Venusaur @Life Orb
Chlorophyl
Modest
252 Spd/252Sp. Atk/ 4 HP
-Solarbeam/Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Rock
-Growth/Sleep Powder
-Sludge Bomb

This hits extremely hard. Solarbeam tears even Not-Very-Effectives apart, but go with Energy Ball if you fear other weather. HP Rock is unusual, but provides great coverage against Fire and Flying types.
Sludge Bomb is filler stab, but it does have its uses when face to face w/ grass types. I recommend Sleep Powder if you run into problems, but King of Lucario already mentioned that it's somewhat obsolete if you have other Pokemon w/ the move. I hear that growth boosts Atk and Sp. Atk +3 in the sun, but I haven't tested this yet. If so, maybe it's a better idea.

Another idea is to run a Starmie as a spinner+attacker. Most won't expect this odd twist, and it does help. Just avoid Water moves unless you fear Tyrannitar.

Last edited by a moderator: