• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Soul Calibur 4 X360 Critical Finish

First, sorry if there is another SCIV topic because I didn't see one yet.

Can we discuss or can someone help me with pulling off a critical finish? its when you just own them in one big blow, but its really hard to do, and you'll only see one online maybe once in a blue moon. i know you have to break your opponents armor or something, but i know there's more to it. If you don't understand it either, or have a solution, i would appreciate it alot. or if you just want to talk about SCIV thats cool. I know alot about the game, its just critical finishes are really hard to do.

ps- everyone knows how to go into practice mode to do it. that is for nubcakes. please don't go posting to go into practice mode. i want to do it in actual gameplay so I can get the achievement. ;) thanks.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's relatively easy to do - it's just getting to the point where it can be done isn't going to come across that often.

Basically, all you have to do is keep beating the shit out of your opponent as usual - if they're blocking a lot, it will impact their Soul Guage, if they keep it up it'll go down completely and start flashing red. When it does that, keep up the attack - but make the attacks short and simple, if you combo up you'll miss your opportunity - and wait for a smashing sound to ring out and, though it can be hard to see sometimes, the screen will flash red completely for a second, and then hit the left bumper as quickly as possible. (Which is why you don't want to be in the middle of a combo when it happens, as you'll miss your opportunity).

It's really down to luck whether or not you'll get to that situation in order to be able to pull off a Critical Finish, though - so all you can do is keep waiting for your opportunity to come around and then be ready to strike.

As a hint, there are a few stages in the Tower of Lost Souls that see your opponents guarding a lot in order to place you in a position to Critical Finish them, so if you focus on them it'll be a lot easier to get into a position to pull it off.

Also, my GamerTag is, unsurprisingly, Doctor Oak - feel free to add. :)

wow ok thanks a bunch! i just got it, but I was using Tira at the time; she kissed Cervantes and then he died. I'd probably die too. :o anyway thanks for the info. I pretty much got this game down pat now.

just to keep this thread going, how many achievements has everyone unlocked? in ps3 its called honor, but whatever. i just got 20 where you unlock the advanced equipment. finally some armor that provides good stats and looks decent.

Basically, you can finish fo an enemy with the most powerful super of the character that you are using. On my PS3, I always use Yeung-Sung(sorry if I misspelled it) and I always use his super, the left,left,triangle + O.