• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Skyrim: PC vs console versions

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I own a good sized 120hz HD TV and a PS3 to go with it, but I also own a fairly kick ass PC... it's making me torn on which version of this to buy.

From a gaming perspective, does it matter which version of Skyrim that you own, or does it simply boil down to graphical power and which control methods you prefer? Certain PC gamers have led me to believe that the PC version will offer better patches/customization/etc., but I've yet to see proof of this.

It really doesnt matter which version you get. I've played both, one on Xbox 360 (the version I own) and one on my friend's Mac, and both are pretty much exactly the same, aside from controls of course. However, the only downfall of the PC version is the loading times. They are MUCH longer on PC, I waited for 3 FUCKING MINUTES for the main quest to first load, compared to around 45 seconds on my Xbox.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
In essence, Skyrim on the consoles will more or less work, but won't look quite as good. You also miss out on mods, of which I expect there will be many and varied, but those'll take a few months to appear.

I personally bought the PC version because I have a fairly meaty PC, (Intel i3 CPU and GeForce 560 graphics) and it looks pretty damn good on high settings. I also want to be able to mod it to oblivion (see what I did there? :D) when they appear. As far as I know, the PC version is also designed to be the "preferred" version, but don't let that cloud your judgement. I don't think it's important.

If none of these things are as important to you as they are to me, go for one of the console versions. It might still be slightly buggy, but it will probably Just Work.

Luckii said:
However, the only downfall of the PC version is the loading times. They are MUCH longer on PC, I waited for 3 FUCKING MINUTES for the main quest to first load, compared to around 45 seconds on my Xbox.
My load times tend to vary between ten and thirty seconds, depending on what I'm entering. Obviously, your loading times will vary massively depending on how awesome your PC is (namely, memory and hard drive), so YMMV.

Teapot said:
Luckii said:
However, the only downfall of the PC version is the loading times. They are MUCH longer on PC, I waited for 3 FUCKING MINUTES for the main quest to first load, compared to around 45 seconds on my Xbox.
My load times tend to vary between ten and thirty seconds, depending on what I'm entering. Obviously, your loading times will vary massively depending on how awesome your PC is (namely, memory and hard drive), so YMMV.
I'm not sure exactly which Mac Charlie (my friend) has, but I know it's a pretty good model. I'd still advise the console version, though.

I would personally buy the PC version because I like playing on my PC more than I do consoles and I prefer using a keyboard over a controller (I know you can use keyboards on consoles but that would mean moving all my TV and consoles around or be uncomfortable)

If it wasn't for console exclusive games I wouldn't have any :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wait... Does Skyrim PC only control by the keyboard, or can you move with the mouse as well? I'm alright with mouse-based movement (or at the very least, I am since getting into WoW), but keyboard-based movement controls drive me nuts. :x

Teapot said:
If none of these things are as important to you as they are to me, go for one of the console versions. It might still be slightly buggy, but it will probably Just Work.

"Slightly buggy"? "Just Work"? That all sounds encouraging. ;D

Honestly, the only difference your going to get in the PC version is better graphics and the ability to mod the game, since companies like Bethesda tend to tailor themselves to the PC gamers among us. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does get irritating for someone like me who prefers console games.

However, with a PS3 and a decent TV, your still going to get pretty nice graphics and so the only thing you're really missing out on is the modding, which isn't too big a deal really, only if you're into that sort of thing.

I personally have it for the 360 and I love it. The graphics aren't as nice as they'd be on the PS3 (and I openly admit that, even being a microsoft fanboy) but the graphics for me are still beautiful and the story is just as engaging. I haven't encountered any bugs thus far and the rendering speeds are fantastic: There have been no instances of the game needing to freeze up and load the next bit of map as with Oblivion.

So, really, it's up to your preference. PC really just opens the door to mods, but that's only a big deal if you care for them :x otherwise, they're pretty identical :>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just to clarify: will these mods be (a) released by the developers or just fanmade, and (b) easy or difficult to work with?

I'm not a big fan of digging through random websites for add-ons, nor messing with moving files about. DLC or proper updates is one thing, but mods typically don't interest me.

Time for some clarifications!

If you directly put Skyrim PC to Console next to each other then the PC version is superior.

You got faster bugfixes, mod support, better visuals and versatile options.
You CAN play the game on the PC with a controller. I do it with my PS3 controller. Also in third person because I'm a rebel.
The menus are actually made with controllers in mind and it kind of shows.
Mods are big for TES games. Some say its because the original games themselves arent all that great.The modding community has always been huge and I expect some interesting stuff for the PC version too.
Some mods are so big that they could be called completely new games. Bigger than your average DLC psckage.

Its one of those games that actually shines on the PC. Compability can always be problematic because thats how PCs are, but any modern PC should actually run it.

Fact is: Bethesda games are buggy. Bethesda games are known for being delivered unfinished and get fixes over time. I'm not sure how fast they would adress those problems in the console versions. Not even sure if many problems exist in those.

Major protip: Hook your TV to your PC, get a controller connected to the PC and just play Skyrim as if it was a PS3 game.
I did that for Sonic Generations. Pretty cool actually.

I personally dont even like Skyrim so far. Not sure if I will buy it. The combat isnt something that I like. Other games deliver a way better experience in that regard and I expect a lot from this gameplay defining aspect.
Dark Souls on the other hand, while not being deep on the lore and open worldness entertains me a lot more right now.
Maybe I'll get it when I feel in the mood for some open world immersive game. But then again, so far most of my immersion from games came from challenging and deep content. So I dont really know.
Might just wait for a patched version that is well playable with some interesting mods out (maybe some that make the combat enjoyable for me).

Luckii said:
I'm not sure exactly which Mac Charlie (my friend) has, but I know it's a pretty good model.
not sure which Mac
Found your problem.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the tips, Fu! You've made me a believer.
I'll grab it on PC and see to hooking up one of my PS3 controllers for it. =)

Thanks for all the advice guys, and feel free to keep discussing this stuff if you like (such as which platform you bought the game for and why).

If you wanna make it work with the PS3 controller then you might need a certain (free)program called Motionjoy. I know that many PCs dont have native PS3 controller support which I honestly dont understand.
My PS2 controller works well without anything.

Rileyixx said:
Well I got Skyrim for PC today and there doesn't seem to be PS3 controller connectivity but there is xbox controller option if that helps
Just because there isnt an obvious option doesnt mean that you cant make it work.
Motionjoy emulated xbox controllers. You plug in your PS3 contoller and the PC thinks that its a xbox one.
Linkachu might try out the program before buying the game though. Its thats too much of a hassle then the PS3 game might be the better option.

Luckii said:

Nah, thats just a rather naive view based on your experience alone. I can say that my loading times are around 5 seconds at most on my PC. You can't just say that because -your- times are bad.

PC will definitely be the best way to run this game, and if you so desire, plug your controller of choice in and wield one of those instead :)

LoN said:
Luckii said:

Nah, thats just a rather naive view based on your experience alone. I can say that my loading times are around 5 seconds at most on my PC. You can't just say that because -your- times are bad.

PC will definitely be the best way to run this game, and if you so desire, plug your controller of choice in and wield one of those instead :)
Good point. I've tried it on several other computors, which were all significantly faster.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I own both a 360 and a PS3, so it wouldn't really matter which controller I pick. Whichever is more easily supported works fine for me. :)

Linkachu said:
I own both a 360 and a PS3, so it wouldn't really matter which controller I pick. Whichever is more easily supported works fine for me. :)

The problem with the 360 controller is that MS doesnt want you to use it on the PC because they want you to buy their PC brand 360 controller.
Which means that you will need a Bluetooth receiver to make it work on the PC I think.

I can run you through making the PS3 controller work on the PC if you get in contact. I usually sit around in the wfc channel as usually.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
The 360 uses it's own proprietary dongle that Microsoft sells for exorbitant amounts of money, but on the other hand it is officially supported. Said dongle can be eBay'd for about £7 anyway.

On the other hand, the PS3 can be connected by your common-or-garden USB cable, but you need a third party program to make it work. Mind you, that program works great - I just tried it, and have merrily been using it to play Portal 2 (with rumble!) all afternoon.