• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Rate my team! I hope this is allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My team for single-battles:Team Powerhouse

I'm only going to show their moves because I don't worry about EV training, I don't get the point really, though.

pokemon:Electivire
item:Magnet
moves:Earthquake
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Cross Chop

pokemon:Dragonite
item:Draco Plate
moves:Thunder Punch
Dragon Rush
Wing Attack
Aqua Tail

pokemon:Magmortar
item:Charcoal
moves:Hyper Beam
Flamethrower
Psychic
Solarbeam

pokemon:Metagross
item:Shuca Berry
moves:Magnet Rise
Meteor Mash
Psychic
Hammer Arm

pokemon:Gengar
item:poison Barb
moves:Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb

pokemon:Tyranitar
item:Chople Berry
Rock Slide
Dark Pulse
Thunder Fang

My team for double-battles:Team Dragon

pokemon:Lucario
item:Wise Glasses
moves:Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Extremespeed
Dragon Pulse

pokemon:Garchomp
item:Yache Berry
Fire Fang
Crunch
Dragon Claw

pokemon:Charizard
item:Charcoal
moves:Flamethrower
Shadow Claw
Dragon Claw
Air Slash

pokemon:Sceptile
item:Mental Herb
moves:Solarbeam
Focus Blast
X-scissor
Dragon Pulse

pokemon:Gyarados
item:Mystic Water
moves:Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Earthquake
Waterfall

pokemon:Magnezone
item:Shuca Berry
moves:Magnet Rise
Discharge
Magnet Bomb
Mirror Shot

Note:These are pokemon that I just use for Pokemon Battle Revloution on the Wii and for the Battle Tower.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dragonite doesnt look so good :S since you have a very offensive oriented team already id suggest this quirky build for your dragonite :D

Dragonite w/Leftovers
Impish Nature
Moveset
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell / Safeguard / Light Screen

If you dont like that you can always go all out offense with the great classic:

Dragonite w/Life Orb (Lum Berry can help too)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Your general items could use some work but for that you need Battle Points mostly :p

The best I've found to rating a team is to battle it. So that being said would you like to test out your Power House team against me?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Magmortar @ Life Orb/Wise Glasses

- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast/Flash Cannon

Hyper Beam is rubbish and Solarbeam is even worse without Sunny Day, so both of those moves can go. Flamethrower for STAB, Psychic for Fighting-types, Thunderbolt to take out Water-types, and either Flash Cannon for Rock-types or Focus Blast for Normal-types.

Metagross @ Liechi Berry

- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch/Rock Slide
- Agility

Agility Metagross. One Agility will let you outspeed a lot of the strongest sweepers, and hopefully the Liechi will be triggered too to give you an Attack boost. Meteor Mash for STAB, Earthquake for extra coverage, and ThunderPunch/Rock Slide to stop Skarmory from walling you.

Gyarados @ Muscle Band/Life Orb

- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Special Attacks on Gyarados is bad - with only 60 Base Sp.Attack, Gyarados has no business using Special moves at all. Dragon Dance up to boost your Attack and Speed, Waterfall is for STAB, Ice Fang will get rid of any Dragons and Earthquake will stop Electric-types.

Magnezone @ Wise Glasses/Leftovers/Focus Sash

- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave
- Mirror Coat/Magnet Rise/Explosion

Thunderbolt is better than Discharge and Flash Cannon beats both Mirror Shot and Magnet Bomb. Thunder Wave will provide support for your team by paralyzing opponents, and the last move is filler: Mirror Coat + Focus Sash will pretty much gurantee a OHKO on anyone who tries to kill Maggy with a Fire or Fighting-type Special Attack, Magnet Rise will allow you to avoid Earthquake (but Maggy is a bit slow so there's a chance the EQ will hit first) or Explosion to hopefully take out someone when Maggy is about to bite the dust.

On a general note, almost all of your items are poor. These are the items you really need to be choosing from:

For attack-oriented items:

- Choice Band/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf. They increase your Atk/Sp.Atk/Speed by 50% respectively, but only allow you to use the first move you choose unless you switch out. Good for attackers with all their moves being attack moves.
- Life Orb. Increases your attack moves' damage by around 30%, but your attack moves do 10% recoil damage in return. Good for a Pokemon who will likely die anyway if their move doesn't manage to finish the opponent.
- Muscle Band/Wise Glasses. Increase Atk/Sp.Atk by 10% respectively, with no drawbacks whatsoever.

For defense-oriented items:

- Leftovers. Recovers 1/16 of your max HP every turn. This item is, quite simply, awesome. Your Blissey will definitely want this item.
- Focus Sash. If your Pokemon would be OHKO'd from 100% health from an attack move, this will leave them alive with 1 HP left instead. May not seem like much, but can be devastating if used right.
- Black Sludge. Same as Leftovers, but for Poison-types only. It'll damage any other type that tries to use it.

Finally, the Berries:

- Liechi Berry. Ups ATK once your HP drops below 30%. Often used with Metagrosses that have Agility.
- Salac Berry. Ups Speed once your HP drops below 30%. This berry is the best in my opinion, and I currently use it on my Garchomp.

The Super-Effective berries (Yache Berry etc.) are still viable for use, although I believe there are a lot better options out there to use instead.

These are all very awesome, but you see i have reasons for making my team the way it is now.

1st of all: Magmortar
Why it has Solarbeam and Hyperbeam: I'm not sure why, but I encounter a lot of pokemon that use Protect and Detect a LOT. Solarbeam is okay for that. Plus, I have 7 pokemon that can use Sunny Day. I only use Hyperbeam for quick knockouts. I don't need Thunderbolt since I already have Solarbeam. I don't like Focus Blast that much because it has low accuracy. :-\

2nd of all: Metagross
Why I like its current moveset: I give it a Shuca Berry because it is not very fast. So if it gets hit by a Ground-type attack, it will have enough HP to use Magnet Rise. Same goes for Magnezaone. Hammer Arm to make it slower(I have some other pokemon that can use Trick Room) And Psychic to take care of pokemon that like to use Counter a lot.(Which I have encountered a lot recently.)

3rd of all: Gyarados.
Why it has special attacks: The same reason as Metagross's Psychic. For pokemon that like to use Counter. And if a pokemon decides to use Mirror Coat, then the counterratack won't be so great since Gyarados's base special attack stat is low. Also, I would like to point out that Gyarados is sort of a support pokemon as well as an attacker. Flamethrower can burn an enemy and Thunderbolt can paralyze an enemy. And Waterfall is the move that it almost always uses(Reason for Mystic Water). Also, I'm not really that afraid of Dragon-types against my Gyarados because I already have other pokemon that can deal with dragons.

4th of all: Dragonite
Reason for its moveset: To the person that suggested Outrage, Dragon Dance, Fire Punch and Earthquake, thank you. But if ever the situation requires me to battle in double-battle style always pair up Electivire and Dragonite together. I take advantage of Electivire's Motor Drive ability by having Dragonite use Thunder Punch on Electivire. I also already have two pokemon with the move Earthquake and I think that's enough. I also dislike the move Outrage because it confuses my Dragonite. I don't want to give it Persim Berry or Lum Berry. I don't need any stat boosts either. And the other suggested moveset with the moves Roost, Dragon Claw, Toxic/ Thunder Wave, Heal Bell/Safeguard/Light Screen, I'm sorry but I don't want any supporter pokemon. I will accept pokemon that support other pokemon, but at least not directly.

Last of all: Magnezone
Reason for why it is how it is: Magnet Rise-good for evasion. Shuca Berry-good for preperation of Magnet Rise. I keep Discharge because Magnezone is always partnered with Garchomp. First Magnezone uses Magnet Rise. Garchomp uses some other attack besides Earthquake if Magnezone has not yet used Magnet Rise. Then Magnezone uses Disharge which hits both opponent pokemon and does not damage Garchomp since it's a Ground-type. Then Garchomp uses Earthquake which also hits both opponent pokemon and does not damage Magnezone after it uses Magnet Rise. I also gave Magnezone Magnet Bomb to get rid of pesky evasive pokemon. And...I really wanted to teach Magnezone Flash Cannon but I accidentally taught it to my...Aggron? he he he awww man I am sooo embarrassed I had to share that... :-[

Now I've got all bases covered and so have my pokemon.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
In response to all of that:

1st of all: Magmortar
Why it has Solarbeam and Hyperbeam: I'm not sure why, but I encounter a lot of pokemon that use Protect and Detect a LOT. Solarbeam is okay for that. Plus, I have 7 pokemon that can use Sunny Day. I only use Hyperbeam for quick knockouts. I don't need Thunderbolt since I already have Solarbeam. I don't like Focus Blast that much because it has low accuracy. Undecided

Hyper Beam may kill quick, but the recharge turn can, and most likely will, screw you. It doesn't even let you switch out. Easy opportunity for a sweeper to come in and use Swords Dance/Nasty Plot during your recharge turn. Hyper Beam has now just screwed you. Granted, a Focus Blast miss could screw you similarly, but at least with Focus Blast there's a fairly good chance of not being screwed over, unlike Hyper Beam DEFINITELY screwing you over. Plus, Focus Blast will put Blissey in its place (Hyper Beam won't,) and any Special attack that can put Blissey in its place is well worth having in my opinion.

Also, in what way is Solarbeam good against Protect and Detect? The way I see it is, Solarbeam charges up, opponent uses Protect, Solarbeam does nothing. Even Solarbeam + Sunny Day is a poor combo since it baits Fire-types to switch in and Solarbeam won't be hurting them much. It will also bait in an opponent's Tyranitar (which are extremely popular) to murder the field with its Sand Stream, and since Solarbeam's power is halved in a Sandstorm (as well as getting the charge-up turn back again) and T-Tar's Special Defense is boosted by 50%, well...enough said. Also, since Tyranitar resists Flamethrower, Hyper Beam AND Psychic...just gets worse. T-Tar also happens to be 4x weak to Focus Blast. *hint hint*

2nd of all: Metagross
Why I like its current moveset: I give it a Shuca Berry because it is not very fast. So if it gets hit by a Ground-type attack, it will have enough HP to use Magnet Rise. Same goes for Magnezaone. Hammer Arm to make it slower(I have some other pokemon that can use Trick Room) And Psychic to take care of pokemon that like to use Counter a lot.(Which I have encountered a lot recently.)

Trick Room is a rather poor move, since it helps opposing defensive Pokemon use their nasty status/hazing/healing moves, and god help you if your opponent has a Snorlax. Psychic is viable since it isn't that bad on Metagross's Sp.Attack, but in my opinion there are far better ways of dealing with Counter (Status Moves.)

3rd of all: Gyarados.
Why it has special attacks: The same reason as Metagross's Psychic. For pokemon that like to use Counter. And if a pokemon decides to use Mirror Coat, then the counterratack won't be so great since Gyarados's base special attack stat is low. Also, I would like to point out that Gyarados is sort of a support pokemon as well as an attacker. Flamethrower can burn an enemy and Thunderbolt can paralyze an enemy. And Waterfall is the move that it almost always uses(Reason for Mystic Water). Also, I'm not really that afraid of Dragon-types against my Gyarados because I already have other pokemon that can deal with dragons.

Gyarados is in no way a supporter since although Flamethrower and Thunderbolt can indeed burn/paralyze, you're looking at a 9.8% chance of doing so either way, and rubbish damage on both 100% of the time. Yes, I agree that is support...for your opponent, that is. Also, if you plan on using Waterfall all the time, Choice Band's 50% power boost trumps Mystic Water's 10% boost. Also, Pokemon with Counter/Mirror Coat are very rare - only one I can say I've seen recently (besides Wobbuffet) was a Blissey with Counter, and it just ended up getting OHKO'd by the attacks it was trying to Counter. The only thing your Gyarados's Special attacks will do is give your opponent ample time to blast you with a Thunderbolt. If Counter worries you, use Dragon Dance to increase your Attack and thus increase the odds of getting the OHKO that would render Counter useless. If you want your Gyarados to play a more supportive role, the best move to have is Taunt.

Last of all: Magnezone
Reason for why it is how it is: Magnet Rise-good for evasion. Shuca Berry-good for preperation of Magnet Rise. I keep Discharge because Magnezone is always partnered with Garchomp. First Magnezone uses Magnet Rise. Garchomp uses some other attack besides Earthquake if Magnezone has not yet used Magnet Rise. Then Magnezone uses Disharge which hits both opponent pokemon and does not damage Garchomp since it's a Ground-type. Then Garchomp uses Earthquake which also hits both opponent pokemon and does not damage Magnezone after it uses Magnet Rise. I also gave Magnezone Magnet Bomb to get rid of pesky evasive pokemon. And...I really wanted to teach Magnezone Flash Cannon but I accidentally taught it to my...Aggron? he he he awww man I am sooo embarrassed I had to share that... Embarrassed

The damage reduction caused by Discharge hitting everyone is not worth it, same with Earthquake - although you will be doing severe damage to both opponents, odds are you won't be killing either of them, which gives them ample time to use two strong attacks on one of your Pokemon which will definitely kill them off - this gets even more ugly if the opponents are faster than you, and with a Magnezone they most certainly will be. Although Magnet Bomb doesn't miss, it's also about as effective as any Special Attack is by Gyarados, i.e. not very, so those "pesky evasive Pokemon" will hardly be running for the hills. Magnet Rise is viable, I'll agree with that. As for Flash Cannon, stick in a second filler move - Magnezone has plenty.

Everyone has reasons for making their team the way it is. However, your reasons are flimsy at best. There's no point in putting Special moves on pure Physical sweepers and vice versa just to avoid Counter/Mirror Coat because not everyone actually uses these moves, and against an opponent who doesn't use Counter/Mirror Coat (who are in the majority) your movesets will be much less effective. As for Hyper Beam and Solarbeam, there's no defense for using either, not even Sunny Day. There are plenty of moves that are vastly superior to the both of them, and they're not hard to find.

In response to all of that:

Hyper Beam may kill quick, but the recharge turn can, and most likely will, screw you. It doesn't even let you switch out. Easy opportunity for a sweeper to come in and use Swords Dance/Nasty Plot during your recharge turn. Hyper Beam has now just screwed you. Granted, a Focus Blast miss could screw you similarly, but at least with Focus Blast there's a fairly good chance of not being screwed over, unlike Hyper Beam DEFINITELY screwing you over. Plus, Focus Blast will put Blissey in its place (Hyper Beam won't,) and any Special attack that can put Blissey in its place is well worth having in my opinion.

Also, in what way is Solarbeam good against Protect and Detect? The way I see it is, Solarbeam charges up, opponent uses Protect, Solarbeam does nothing. Even Solarbeam + Sunny Day is a poor combo since it baits Fire-types to switch in and Solarbeam won't be hurting them much. It will also bait in an opponent's Tyranitar (which are extremely popular) to murder the field with its Sand Stream, and since Solarbeam's power is halved in a Sandstorm (as well as getting the charge-up turn back again) and T-Tar's Special Defense is boosted by 50%, well...enough said. Also, since Tyranitar resists Flamethrower, Hyper Beam AND Psychic...just gets worse. T-Tar also happens to be 4x weak to Focus Blast. *hint hint*

Trick Room is a rather poor move, since it helps opposing defensive Pokemon use their nasty status/hazing/healing moves, and god help you if your opponent has a Snorlax. Psychic is viable since it isn't that bad on Metagross's Sp.Attack, but in my opinion there are far better ways of dealing with Counter (Status Moves.)

Gyarados is in no way a supporter since although Flamethrower and Thunderbolt can indeed burn/paralyze, you're looking at a 9.8% chance of doing so either way, and rubbish damage on both 100% of the time. Yes, I agree that is support...for your opponent, that is. Also, if you plan on using Waterfall all the time, Choice Band's 50% power boost trumps Mystic Water's 10% boost. Also, Pokemon with Counter/Mirror Coat are very rare - only one I can say I've seen recently (besides Wobbuffet) was a Blissey with Counter, and it just ended up getting OHKO'd by the attacks it was trying to Counter. The only thing your Gyarados's Special attacks will do is give your opponent ample time to blast you with a Thunderbolt. If Counter worries you, use Dragon Dance to increase your Attack and thus increase the odds of getting the OHKO that would render Counter useless. If you want your Gyarados to play a more supportive role, the best move to have is Taunt.

The damage reduction caused by Discharge hitting everyone is not worth it, same with Earthquake - although you will be doing severe damage to both opponents, odds are you won't be killing either of them, which gives them ample time to use two strong attacks on one of your Pokemon which will definitely kill them off - this gets even more ugly if the opponents are faster than you, and with a Magnezone they most certainly will be. Although Magnet Bomb doesn't miss, it's also about as effective as any Special Attack is by Gyarados, i.e. not very, so those "pesky evasive Pokemon" will hardly be running for the hills. Magnet Rise is viable, I'll agree with that. As for Flash Cannon, stick in a second filler move - Magnezone has plenty.

Everyone has reasons for making their team the way it is. However, your reasons are flimsy at best. There's no point in putting Special moves on pure Physical sweepers and vice versa just to avoid Counter/Mirror Coat because not everyone actually uses these moves, and against an opponent who doesn't use Counter/Mirror Coat (who are in the majority) your movesets will be much less effective. As for Hyper Beam and Solarbeam, there's no defense for using either, not even Sunny Day. There are plenty of moves that are vastly superior to the both of them, and they're not hard to find.
Relax, relax. I know all of this already. That's why I'm called the pokemon knowledge tycoon! Ha ha ha. No, sorry. I just like playing games. But more importantly, I only want to keep my Magmortar this way because this is the way I got it from PBR. I just want to remember the moment. I'm a pretty sentimental person. I've already saved up on all the TM's I need to make Magmortar awesome. And the only way I think Solarbeam will be effective against a pokemon that uses Protect or Detect is if that pokemon uses Protect or Detect first and then I should pray that the next Protect or Detect they use will fail. All I need now is another Magmortar. I exchanged my Gyarados's Thunderbolt for Ice Fang. Any suggestions to what I should exchange Flamethrower with? I'm not really a guy that likes to use stat-boosting moves so much. Any moves besides Focus Blast for Magmortar? If there aren't, then it will just have to do. Thanks for what you said about Metagross. It helped me a lot. But if I change my current team, what will happen if I need them in a double-battle? Will anything change? But I really want to keep my team the way it is. I'll just have to find another Gyarados, Metagross, Magmortar, and Magnezone. And sorry for double posting! I am so scared to post ANYTHING right now. It's like, one small detail could get me kicked out... ;D

[quote author:pokemon_knowledge_tycoon link=topic=4626.msg67309#msg67309 date=1217034337]
Relax, relax. I know all of this already. That's why I'm called the pokemon knowledge tycoon! Ha ha ha. No, sorry. I just like playing games. But more importantly, I only want to keep my Magmortar this way because this is the way I got it from PBR. I just want to remember the moment. I'm a pretty sentimental person. I've already saved up on all the TM's I need to make Magmortar awesome. And the only way I think Solarbeam will be effective against a pokemon that uses Protect or Detect is if that pokemon uses Protect or Detect first and then I should pray that the next Protect or Detect they use will fail. All I need now is another Magmortar. I exchanged my Gyarados's Thunderbolt for Ice Fang. Any suggestions to what I should exchange Flamethrower with? I'm not really a guy that likes to use stat-boosting moves so much. Any moves besides Focus Blast for Magmortar? If there aren't, then it will just have to do. Thanks for what you said about Metagross. It helped me a lot. But if I change my current team, what will happen if I need them in a double-battle? Will anything change? But I really want to keep my team the way it is. I'll just have to find another Gyarados, Metagross, Magmortar, and Magnezone. And sorry for double posting! I am so scared to post ANYTHING right now. It's like, one small detail could get me kicked out... ;D
[/quote]
Oh, and sorry for saying this, but I absolutely do not approve of using Choice items. I want to be prepared for anything. And if so ever my opponent decides to use a pokemon that is strong against my pokemon's "Choice attack" then, well, I'm not really good in situations like that. ;D ;D ;D

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
pokemon_knowledge_tycoon, you have been n00b'd for breaking the same rule twice in this thread.
No double posting

And although it isn't in the rules, it is annoying to see an entire block of text from the person before you every time you post. If you make it back from the realm, try just saying "@King of Lucario" when you are talking to just one person. If you're replying to particular parts of a post, you should break it up like he did. But don't quote the entire post just to imply you're talking to them.

[edit]
Locked for the same reason as the other thread, Tycoon is now banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.