• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Rate my most recent team

This team is mainly a combination of starters - 1st and 4th Gen starters. The main problem I am having is deciding movesets for various members of the team. I know this team doesn't contain any supporters so this is more and less a set of 6 pokemon than a team.

Venusaur - Special Sweeper@ Wise Glasses
Timid Nature
252 SpA/ 252 Spd / 6 Def
Leaf Storm
Energy Ball
Toxic
Amnesia

Charizard - Special Sweeper@ Salac Berry
Modest Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Dragon Dance
Dragon Pulse
Roost
Flamethrower/Heat Wave/Flare Blitz/Blast Burn

Which Fire move should I use?

Blastoise - Physical Sweeper@ Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Aqua Ring
Yawn
Brick Break
Avalanche

Torterra - Tank@ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 126 Def / 126 SpDef / 6 HP
Wood Hammer
Synthesis
Superpower
Earthquake

Infernape - Physical Sweeper@ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Fire Punch
ThunderPunch
Close Combat
Shadow Claw

Empoleon - Special Sweeper@ Splash Plate
Timid Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Aqua Ring
Yawn
Brine
Ice Beam

Any and all comments on change will help.

Overall looks pretty good too me. Venu or Torterra could use Leech seed to help out the team too.

Actually venusaur could be your support pokemon since he kinda has the stats for it too.

A tankier EV spread and nature would be needed though:

252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold or Calm would be ideal

Leech Seed
Sleep Powder
Grass Knot/Energy Ball
Toxic/Sludge Bomb

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Dragon Dance....on a Special Sweeper? I know you get Speed boosts and all but on a Special Sweeper it's a waste of a moveslot. Plus, 'Zard's base Speed is the same as Salamence's, so he's pretty quick as it is. Also, Roost on a Pokemon as fast as Charizard will usually result in him eating an Earthquake and dying once your opponent figures out what you're up to, not to mention Roost ruins his Blaze ability:

Charizard @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
Modest

- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power (Electric/Grass)/AncientPower/Focus Blast

Base 109 Sp.Attack isn't great, and since Flamethrower will usually be the attack of choice on Charizard, you will benefit a lot from the 50% boost from Choice Specs, although Life Orb's 30% boost is also very good if you don't like the Choice items. Choice Scarf and Wise Glasses are also OK options, but not as good as Specs/Life Orb here. Flamethrower for a powerful STAB, Air Slash for STAB and flinches, Dragon Pulse for enemy Dragons and the last move is filler - Hidden Power (Electric/Grass) to get rid of enemy Water-types, AncientPower can hax you a stat boost if you're lucky (I recommend using Life Orb if you plan on getting AncientPower) and Focus Blast will do in Normal-types.

Blastoise has far better things he can be doing with his life than sweeping. Just look how many support moves he learns:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold/Calm

- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Haze/Roar/Protect
- Toxic/Aqua Ring/Mirror Coat/Counter

He may not have the best stats in the game compared to his fellow Water-types, but Blastoise has them all beaten in terms of pure utility - the guy is like a toolbox. He can Haze, Rapid Spin, use Counter/Mirror Coat, he can do tons. Surf is the best attack for Blastoise, since with the STAB bonus it does more damage than a double-damage Avalanche. Rapid Spin will get rid of Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes, the second of which will destroy Charizard, and the third will just be plain annoying if it stacks twice. Haze/Roar allows Blastoise to stop opponents from boosting their stats, but be wary of Swords Dance/Nasty Plot. Protect is on that line and not the one below because Protect + Aqua Ring + Leftovers is a pretty evil combo if you can pull it off. Last move is basically filler - Toxic to terrorize opponents with status effects, Aqua Ring for extra heal-ability (Rest will just get you killed,) and Mirror Coat/Counter can catch people by surprise and allow Blastoise to get some sneaky KO's. Best to use the one that works best with the Nature you choose.

Don't avoid Flare Blitz because of the 33% recoil damage - with 120 Power and 100% Accuracy it is quite possibly the best Fire-type attack in the game.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Adamant

- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- ThunderPunch
- Earthquake/Stone Edge

Infernape probably won't last long with Flare Blitz and Life Orb, but since Infernape doesn't last long anyway, he'll go down on your terms, and those terms involve STAB'ed Blaze-boosted Flare Blitzes that can destroy almost anyone. Shadow Claw isn't necessary on Infernape since it is usually used on Pokemon who have trouble with Ghost-types (Slaking) and Infernape has no such problems. Stone Edge provides better coverage than Earthquake does, but Stone Edge is less accurate than Earthquake - your choice as to which move you go for.

Well...ah, hope that helped.

true, Blastoise would make a better toughie then Empoleon I think. Even with the Immunity to poison, Blastoise has a greater movepool to accomodate it.

You could also try this for Venusaur, you should probably give him a poison STAB move as well as grass.

Venusaur @ Choice Specs * ChocieSpecs Venusaur
Trait: Overgrown
EVs: 232 Hp / 252 SpAtk / 24 Spd
Nature: Modest
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice] / [Ground]
- Sleep Powder / Stun Spore / Earthquake

Quick note about Flare Blitz, its recoil is 1/3 of the damage done to the opponent is inflicted on the user. Same goes for Double-Edge, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, and Volt Tackle.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Quick note about Flare Blitz, its recoil is 1/3 of the damage done to the opponent is inflicted on the user. Same goes for Double-Edge, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, and Volt Tackle.

I've edited it accordingly.

Also, here's a possible moveset for Empoleon:

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
Timid
Torrent

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power (Electric)/Grass Knot
- Agility

Just an attempt at a slightly different moveset to the Empoleon norm. Empoleon has good Sp.Attack for a sweeper at Base 111, but his Base 60 Speed hurts him a lot. However, that also means his defenses are pretty good to compensate too, which gives you time to rectify the situation. One Agility + Timid Nature should make you faster than a lot of Pokemon, and if Empoleon takes a hard enough hit on his Agility turn then a Sp.Attack boost from the Petaya Berry is yours as well. Surf for STAB, Ice Beam for Grass and Dragon-types, and Hidden Power (Electric)/Grass Knot for Water-types who resist Empoleon's other Special Attacks.