• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Preliminary Gen V Team~

Well, here's my first attempt at creating a Gen V team that I hope to stick to making then test to make any changes. Warning: I fail at coming up with EV spreads XD Anyway, here it goes~

Shanderaaaaa~ @ Wise Glasses
Timid
Flash Fire
255 Special Attack, 255 Speed

-Shadow Ball/Evil Eye
-Overheat/Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Will 'O Wisp

My tentative lead. Shanderaa is here to defend Lucario and Nattorei from fire moves and is a general special attacker--of course, I may not want to lead with it then XD. I want to use it but, Starmie might be a better option.

Sazandora @ Choice Scarf
Hasty or Naive
Levitate
255 Speed, 200 Special Attack, 55 Attack

-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Surf/Fire Blast/Charge Beam
-Outrage

My psuedo-legend choice for my team~ I chose her over Salamence for Sazandora's typing. This set is meant to do a ton of damage and not be stopped by Intimidate.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Modest or Timid
Inner Focus but it really doesn't matter
255 Special Attack, 255 Speed

-Nasty Plot
-Aura Sphere
-Vacuum Wave
-Dark Pulse

Lucario is standard really, but I'm tempted to switch Dark Pulse for Dragon Pulse to punish opposing dragons. She's a lot like a special based Roobushin.

Roobushin @ Muscle Band
Brave--I figure it's already so slow, why bother?
Iron Fist
255 attack, I have no idea where I want to put the others

-Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

I've seen this thing in action and it's a beast ♥ Mach Punch coming off a base 145 attack, Iron Fist, and STAB is just scary and it hits first. Drain Punch for secondary STAB and HP recovery. Stone Edge to punish Gyarados assuming it doesn't get killed first. Kojondo is another option for Roobushin's spot.

Nattorei @ Leftovers
Relaxed or Sassy
Iron Thorns
255 Special Defense, 60 attack, 195 Defense

-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Explosion

Turns out I didn't lose SR after all because Nattorei gets it via level up. Relaxed or Sassy is to make Gyro Ball stronger, Power Whip to punish opposing Swamperts, and Explosion to go out with a bang despite the nerf.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish
Damp
200 Defense, 255 Special Defense, 55 Attack

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Avalanche
-Stone Edge

She's supposed to be a bulky attacker who deals out a good amount of damage, blocks Explosion along with Shanderaaaa ♥, but can take hits as well from things not named Nattorei.

Anyway, any advice is needed because this is whole new territory for me. Also, if you see any weakness this team might have, let me know. Right now my biggest concern in Gyarados because I'm unsure of how to beat it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The only thing I see wrong is your EV spread. Four EVs equals one stat point meaning that you really only need 252EVs in a given stat for maximum efficiency. Having 255 is wasting three EVs that could go somewhere else. Most people put six in HP as an extra buffer because two EVs go to waste anyway when maxed out. Realocate the EVs so the major stas you want have the maximum number divisable by four possible.

Other than that, your types look good and as long as you have a fast Pokemon to lay out Stone Edge or an Electric attack, Gyarados shouldn't give you too much grief.

Ah, thanks ^^

I knew I screwed up the EV spread somewhere, but I couldn't remember how because it's been a while since I've tried to create my own.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Insert something witty here:

- Shanderaa is an interesting lead to say the least - I daresay the legions of Steel and Ground-type leads out there will shit themselves when they see this thing staring back at them, and being immune to Fake Out and a good portion of common priority moves helps too. Since it's the lead, Focus Sash is a viable choice for a hold item in order to prevent opposing leads from getting an easy kill on you. I would say however that Shanderaa risks being killed very early if he's leading, and this can backfire given how well Shanderaa covers up Nattorei's and Sazandra's weaknesses (and vice-versa.) He'll probably work well and be very unexpected, but I can see this team suffering a bit if Shanderaa gets KO'd early on.

- Sazandra can put Gyarados in its place quite handily with its Choice Scarf. I'm not sure how well Outrage fits in here since Sazandra suffers from "Four Moveslot Syndrome" a bit with its type coverage - he really wishes he had more moveslots to play with, and Outrage only worsens this issue for him. Smacks down Blissey handily mind you, although Lucario and Roobushin especially can cover for you there.

- Modest will likely be the nature of choice for Lucario thanks to Vacuum Wave and the extra power. Not a lot will be able to withstand your Aura Spheres after a Nasty Plot boost, and Dark Pulse will crush any Ghost-types trying to jump in. Dragon + Fighting actually provides near-perfect coverage (only Shedinja blocks it,) but Dragon Pulse won't be as effective against the Ghost-types who will be your most common switch-in. Doesn't help that most dragons are faster than you anyway (even Ononokusu beats you) and the one dragon you can beat (Sazandra) you won't need Dragon Pulse for.

- Earthquake's a bit crap on most Fighting-types actually - Payback or Bulk Up would work better for Roobushin, the latter potentially allowing Roobushin to sweep with Mach Punch. HP training is the dish of the day for Roobushin along with Attack. Finally, using Brave over Adamant just because Roobushin is slow anyway is not smart at all - you're not using your Sp.Attack for anything at all, so that should be the nature you lower unless you're running Trick Room. Brave only guarantees that you'll always be slower than enemy Roobushin, which is only bad news given how common the thing is set to become.

- Nat doesn't need Attack and he does need HP training. I'd stick to one defense stat for Nat and have Swampert cover the other one, or have both run full-physical defense training since you're more likely to encounter physical end-game sweepers than special ones. Split defense training tends to leave you dying to both kinds of attacks as opposed to being able to wall both of them, especially when you have no healing move. Also note that Explosion's nerf may make it rather unfavourable for Nattorei - he always gets Thunder Wave to crush opposing sweepers with if you find Explosion a bit underwhelming.

- Swampert again really needs HP training - with a HP stat as high as his, you might as well make the most of it. I'd also consider sticking Roar on Swampert so that you can stop setup attempts from the likes of Ononokusu and friends should they try their hand against Swampert (note that Ononokusu won't take much damage from Avalanche when he's using Dragon Dance, and DD Outrage will very likely OHKO Swampert.) Ice Beam is the better choice for Swampert over Avalanche even with no Sp.Attack training since it isn't affected by Intimidate. Note that if you do consider Roar for Swampert, it might render ineffective against Gyarados and Ononokusu since they can learn Taunt.

I can summarize a lot of this in four words and two letters: HP training is your friend. You choose for forgo HP training even on the three Pokemon who need it the most, and HP training is mandatory on any bulky attacker or wall 99% of the time, with the only Pokemon neglecting HP training often being the ones that have massive HP anyway and thus don't need further training (and even then, they usually train HP anyway - look at Blissey.) The EV spreads are definitely the biggest point of concern as it stands, but everything else is alright from observation - time will tell if it works.