• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Sun or Moon: Which will you play (or play first)?

Between Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, which game will you play first?

• Still undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skipping both

• Other (Explain in the topic!)

• Total voters

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just a simple question that (I believe) has yet to be asked.

Whether you plan to get a single version of the games or both Pokémon Sun and Moon, which will be home to your first adventure through Alola? If you have a specific reason for choosing one version over the other, what is it?

Vote in the poll and, if you like, tell us your thoughts, too! ^^

While I'll personally be buying both Sun and Moon at launch, and after much debating, I'm 99% settled on Moon being the first version that I'll play through (which in turn will be the version that I buy digitally so that it's always readily available).

As much as I want easy access to the Midday form of Rockruff's evolution, the reversed day/night cycle for Moon really perked my interests. I'm the type of person who tends to be most active during the morning and daytime, so I've had limited opportunities to experience my Pokémon games at night - which has always made me a tad regretful. The regions are certainly very pretty during the daytime hours but the nighttime environment has its own charms as well! I'm therefore really looking forward to having the chance to be properly immersed in a starlit world this time around. :)

The only reason I'm not 100% decided yet is because we still don't know the full extent of the version exclusive Pokémon. If several really cool Pokémon were only available in Sun I'd be mighty tempted to change my decision. Thankfully there's not much time left now until I'll know for certain! :up:

Last edited:
I... have no idea. I usually choose depending on the version exclusive Pokemon (usually the main legendary), but I don't like any of them enough to choose. Well, Passimian is pretty awesome, but the position for fighting type is probably going to go to Kommo-o (because seriously look at that thing). At this point I'm seriously considering delaying getting the game by a day so I can learn if there are any more version exclusives that we don't know about, and then make a decision based on that but... well... that would mean I'd have to wait another day to play the game and that just seems like a bad idea.

If worst comes to worst I'll just toss a coin.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I've already got Moon preordered at GameStop so I'll be playing that first. Even before Solgaleo and Lunala were revealed I had settled on Moon because I like nighttime and staring at the moon so it was an easy choice. Everything we know about the games just makes the choice more enjoyable. ^_^

I've preloaded Pokemon Sun from the eshop so I'm ready to go! It will be fun playing through at the same time as everyone and discovering what's in the game. Hopefully I can avoid the (plot) leaks until then. ;)

Heh Sun and Moon are the first games that I've had such difficulty picking a version, mainly because I pick based on the cover legendary and this time round I liked 'em both, after much debate I settled with Sun and I'm glad I did because it seems to have the exclusives that I like.

Sun. Was going for Moon, but seeing version exclusive things, definitely going for Sun. The leaked exclusives (not gonna say them) mostly are better for Sun in my opinion.

Also, like Keleri I hope I can stay away from plot leaks. Already got a detail spoilt, couldn't resist the urge to press Spoilers...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm very amused at the landslide interest thus far towards Sun verses Moon, but I see what you guys mean about the version exclusives being better. XD

That being said, seeing a preliminary list of the version exclusives pretty much solidified my decision to play Moon first and Sun later. If anything, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting the Rockruff evolution that I want when so many others will be playing Sun! :angel:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It'll be ages before I can play these but the version I'm going for is definitely Sun. None of the Moon exclusives particularly appeal to me (with the exception of UB02: Beauty) and my internal OCD finds the 12-hour time offset very irritating in potentia. I do hope the plot differences aren't too heavily significant, though.

Also Sun for me! Soon as i saw Solgaleo I'm all about that lion legendary, man.

I've not seen the leaked version exclusives, I'll need to Google those bad boys. I was also worried that Moon might have one's I like more and then I'd be torn between those or Solgaleo and Rockruffs midday form. I'm so in love with that rock puppy, it's going to be hard not to catch every one I encounter.

I am playing Moon solely. I don't need to play both games and I have just enough friends getting Sun or Moon that I think I wil be able to get anything I can't with moon.

I find myself as a night person and drawn the moon in other things just not Pokemon, so that added to my choice. Plus Lunala looks awesome.

I preordered both, but I started with Pokemon Sun after I found out that Alolan Vulpix is exclusive to Sun - really want to have one on my team.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
My friend, on a whim, decided to buy Sun for me because I'm "Bright and shiny like the sun!"

If I could choose for myself, I might've gotten moon instead, but generally I don't mind too much. Both have version exclusive 'mons I like, and I'm fairly certain I have enough friends with Moon that I could trade with them if I really needed the 'mons.

I usually get both versions of the game so I can do two different playthroughs: A standard playthrough and my roleplay playthrough where I make up an OC and come up with a story based on the games (which explains the trainer cards I usually put in my signature).

I decided to play Sun for my main playthrough since I like the version exclusives in it more and because orange is my favorite color. Because of this, I decided to wait until I got pretty far in the game so I can start playing Moon for my roleplay playthrough so I can have a general idea of the game's plot and come up with a plot for my story, as well as make possible tweaks or changes

I got both, but Sun has the best exclusives in my opinion so I decided to make Sun my main game and Moon the one where I replay over and over trading all my Pokemon to Sun after I beat it.

I preordered both, and finished Moon a little over a week ago, so I'm just getting started in Sun now! I'm about to get back to my first trial, and I'm actually going to try to do a no-evolution run in Sun.

For me, it was Moon pretty early on, but what solidified it was the typing of Lunala, Lunala's design, and the fact Oranguru was in it. I don't know why I like that Psychic type so much, but I think it's because when I saw it my first thought was "Harambe!"