• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon MMORPG: Epic win or serious lose?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, I was pondering the idea of a Pokemon MMORPG earlier. All the fun and hilarity of Pokemon - with friends!

Basically, I like the idea because you could, theoretically, do more than just battle with your friends. Questing for new Pokemon together, training together. Y'know, just a little bit more like teh whole "immersive reality" thing we all want. Actually being IN the game, rather than just playing it, or as close to it as we can get. The possibilities are, um, possibly endless.

Of course, on the flip-side, it'd have to be done really, really well. Especially as they'd probably have to use the Wii... I can see it being a flop really easily if they're not careful.
...and plus, it would quickly get filled to the brim with noobs. That's, maybe, not as good.

The only problem I would have with it being translated into an MMORPG is that as a whole, Pokemon is a mostly singular play style. This means that while there are quite a few things that could involve lots of people (tournaments, contests, Pokeblock and Poffin making , etc), the whole journey thing is usually contained within fairly small groups. The point or attractiveness of MMOs is usually a large group or community based effort to accomplish things on an epic scale. Now this could be somewhat alleviated by making the players become the Pokemon themselves and maybe doing something along the lines of Mystery Dungeon, just on a much larger scale. Limit the kinds of Pokemon players could become to a large handful to keep some balance, and that could be quite an enjoyable game. Boss battles versus the many Legendaries would be quite cool to see (go raids!).

As a system, I can't see them using the Wii just due to the fact that Nintendo's Friend Code system just is not conducive to easy access connect and play with a bunch of people. If they could work in a system that bypasses it, or makes you log into a server, then it would work. But like most MMOs, it would most likely make the jump to PC.

But, as you said, and with any multiplayer online game really, there will always be noobs. They just seem to flock to this stuff to see how much they can screw up the people that really want to play.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with what you said about the Wii, actually. I was hoping that they'd ditch the Friend Code system - but yes, the PC's the best platform for it.

I have been working on this idea for quite sometime now. Not making it of course, but piecing together everything I can to explain how it would be.

Heh i like this idea. :D
It'd create a longer experience of pokemon games.. seeing as back in the days once we finished the elite four.. or whatever.. there wasn't much to do.

Well, if you think about Pokemon now is sorta like a MMORPG. With the advances in Wifi battling and trading it would be no different than putting everyone's data on a central server. Also regarding making your own Pokemon MMORPG it possible if you have the right program at your disposal and if you learn some game scripts. ex: RGSS/RGSS2

Perhaps something like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for PC? Except less emphasis on the actual dungeon diving as to actually living in the Pokemon world. I like Pheonix's idea about the Legendary Raids, too. Perhaps the boss could drop TMs for us to use their abilities, type and species permitting.

We, as Pokemon, would also have to have access to the HMs in addition to our natural abilities (once we obtain them, of course. Them being the HMs), or services that use the HMs for us. Perhaps a Pelipper taxi service for Fly? ( ;D) Or a Machamp demolition team utilizing Strength and Rock Smash?

I need a hobby. :-\

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I need a hobby. :-\
Apparently, you've got one. :D

I think, if Game Freak really wanted to, they could probably do a Wii Pokemon MMORPG and make it good. It would certainly hold up the tradition of "No 'proper' Pokemon games on a console" :p

Well good thing you brought this up I just thought about this to a grand scale so follow my logic if you can.

Forget about being the Poke'mon themselves for a moment (dont worry I'm not flaming your idea just suggesting a different one)

You start out and you get to choose a name type of trainer (Example: Ace Trainer) if you wanted, or completely make your own wardrobe with a limited supply at first. You choose your Gender height weight etc.

When you start you start at your moms house like always. From here you can choose to earn your own Poke'mon or have someone catch a Poke'mon and just give it to you. There would have to be restrictions so players don't start with legendaries.

If you don't want a poke'mon you can just choose to be a social butterfly and do minigames to earn money to pimp out your bedroom (those who want their own home will need at least one Poke'mon or something to make it to a city with "Purchasable" homes with in-game [not real] money).

Once someone gets a single pokemon Gamplay would go pretty much the same as the Nintendo DSs Diamond. Differences would include when confronted by team Rocket Galactic Magma etc. You can choose to join where if you join you will have mission especially for the teams. for grand scale missions you can take down the Rockets or etc.

If you want more details then tell me to keep going.

I'm thinking on making the skeleton for this game and probably send it in to the Designers of Poke'mon.